Author Topic: 433 and transfer policy  (Read 827 times)

Nocky

• WBA Coach

433 and transfer policy
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:09:58 PM »
If ever we needed reminding, the second half performance against Southampton confirmed how much more effective we are playing a 433/4231 rather than a 442 formation.

It would seem however that our transfer policy this summer hasn't really been aligned with what most people would consider to be our best formation. In fact, there is an argument that our squad make up is actually more aligned to playing a 442 formation that clearly doesn't suit us.

At present, we have four central strikers (Vydra, Anelka, Long and Roesenberg) who would essentially be competing for one position in our more effective 433/4231 formation. Some of these players can do a 'job' out wide but I for one am fed up of seeing square pegs being placed in round holes (please SC – no more Shane Long out wide!)

To compound this, we only have one genuine winger (Sinclair) suited to playing in an advanced wide position. Odemwingie is the other but he as we all know, he's unlikely to be considered for selection. Other potential wide players such as Brunt and Gera are really more suited to playing in a 442 formation given the 'type' of players they are. Again, they can do a job out wide but they aren't the out and out wingers who will give the formation the balance that it needs.

In summary, the balance of our squad doesn’t appear to suit what most people would consider to be our best formation. I appreciate there is some time left in the transfer window but at present, we are top heavy with central strikers.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: 433 and transfer policy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »
If ever we needed reminding, the second half performance against Southampton confirmed how much more effective we are playing a 433/4231 rather than a 442 formation.

It would seem however that our transfer policy this summer hasn't really been aligned with what most people would consider to be our best formation. In fact, there is an argument that our squad make up is actually more aligned to playing a 442 formation that clearly doesn't suit us.

At present, we have four central strikers (Vydra, Anelka, Long and Roesenberg) who would essentially be competing for one position in our more effective 433/4231 formation. Some of these players can do a 'job' out wide but I for one am fed up of seeing square pegs being placed in round holes (please SC – no more Shane Long out wide!)

To compound this, we only have one genuine winger (Sinclair) suited to playing in an advanced wide position. Odemwingie is the other but he as we all know, he's unlikely to be considered for selection. Other potential wide players such as Brunt and Gera are really more suited to playing in a 442 formation given the 'type' of players they are. Again, they can do a job out wide but they aren't the out and out wingers who will give the formation the balance that it needs.

In summary, the balance of our squad doesn’t appear to suit what most people would consider to be our best formation. I appreciate there is some time left in the transfer window but at present, we are top heavy with central strikers.

Not sure I agree with some of your points. 

Long has been effective when part of a fluid 4-3-3, his crosses for Odemwingie's 2nd against Soton and the 2nd goal against Chelsea also his cross for Morrison to score against QPR, so I think he can do a job out wide IF he's part of a fluid front 3.

I think we are ideally set up for 4-3-3 not 4-4-2 as , as you say, we only have 1 genuine winger so that wouldn't work in a 4-4-2 but pre season showed that we have the personal for an effective 4-3-3 set up.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill