Author Topic: Tyrone Mears  (Read 60936 times)

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

Re: Tyrone Mears signs official
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Doesn't look good.
Moore's going for someone he has first hand experience of, but that must have been a good few years ago. And we know, from experience, that a footballer's performance levels can drop off fairly rapidly around 35. Nobody can kid me the demands of the MLS are anywhere near the top end of the Championship.

Hope this is only a very short term solution.
one game.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2018, 11:39:45 AM »
I'm a big fan of Moore but even I'm struggling to find a positive with this signing. The only crumb of comfort would be the recent transition to 352 means he won't be a regular starter and is probably only here for back up. That being said, if he is to start tonight, does that mean we are reverting to 442?
Very strange and does smack of jobs for the boys, as i doubt we have scouted him very much, if at all. At least we'd seen Crainie play!
It also goes against the excuse given to G-mac about his age being a problem.

Black Country Pride

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »
You'd think the club might as well have signed up Boiler Man as our replacement for Nyom but evidently his wage demands were too high.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2018, 11:43:47 AM »
I'm a big fan of Moore but even I'm struggling to find a positive with this signing. The only crumb of comfort would be the recent transition to 352 means he won't be a regular starter and is probably only here for back up. That being said, if he is to start tonight, does that mean we are reverting to 442?
Very strange and does smack of jobs for the boys, as i doubt we have scouted him very much, if at all. At least we'd seen Crainie play!
It also goes against the excuse given to G-mac about his age being a problem.

There is a huge difference between 35 and 38/39 for a professional footballer

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »

Not one who was third choice for Bolton in 2013 /14.

Utterly pathetic addition.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 11:47:55 AM »

Not one who was third choice for Bolton in 2013 /14.

Utterly pathetic addition.

I bet it came down to wages...
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

maccbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 11:49:57 AM »
This signing is a symptom of a bigger problem that has been going on at the club for years - short-termism.

Ultimately, any football club can only be as successful as its recruitment.

Continually signing older players without re-sale value or potential to develop (see Lambert, Fletcher, Barry, etc, and the re-signing of Brunt and Morrison) means in the long-term we lose out. We end up paying over-the-odds for overrated British players who are past their best. This then leads to having to find cheap, desperate, last-minute fixes - such as this. It's not a sustainable way to run a football club.

A successful transfer policy (which we had with Ashworth in the past) involves extensive European (and World) scouting, with the recruitment of young, hungry players on lower salaries with the potential to improve (and in the future, re-sell for a profit). This generally leads to a self-perpetuating cycle of improvement in the club's funds and on the football pitch.

We need to hire a director of football, expand our scouting network which we allowed Pulis to wreck, and get back to this recruitment policy as soon as possible if we ever want to become an established Premier League side again.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
Not when one was already here and, by all accounts, proving his fitness through various monitoring techniques, and the other who could barely have been scouted, let alone assessed over any period of time.
It suggests to me that wages were the biggest factor and not age or fitness.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »
What's the difference in Orem money and 1st year parachute payments? With all these cheap signings it seems Lai is looking to save exactly that amount. Lost 10's of millions off the wage bill.

Darren Moore's comments are worrying. Point more and more to him being selected as a yes man.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2018, 11:54:44 AM »
What's the difference in Orem money and 1st year parachute payments? With all these cheap signings it seems Lai is looking to save exactly that amount. Lost 10's of millions off the wage bill.

Darren Moore's comments are worrying. Point more and more to him being selected as a yes man.

That's the way I'm seeing it too.

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
Welcome to the club Tyrone!

That's about as positive as I can get about this signing though, anybody care to add something positive to this post?
Please.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2018, 11:59:42 AM »
I'm delighted.

crocodile007

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »
It's laughable really.

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2018, 12:01:35 PM »
I’m struggling to remember a single signing that had this kind of negative reaction. I hope he proves us all wrong, he’s up against it though.

RogerBadoo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
I hope and wonder if having changed the formation and with Dawson coming back into the fold that DM has opted to look at bringing in a midfielder as his number.1 priority. Mears will hardly play if we stick with the current formation as we have Dawson to play RB as well as in the centre. The real meaning of this signing may only become apparent when we get to the end of the window. If the money saved goes on a physical, young and energetic midfielder then suddenly things will not seem so bad.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »
I’m struggling to remember a single signing that had this kind of negative reaction. I hope he proves us all wrong, he’s up against it though.
Hal Robson-Kanu?

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »
My feelings are different to the vast majority on this thread. I would be surprised if Mears actually plays many league games for us in the first instance.

I see this signing as us absolutely needing cover at rb/rwb and exhausting all other avenues. I'd rather us do a short-term deal like this than a longer term deal for someone better but ultimately not good enough. Yes, you'd hope that we'd have a better recruitment strategy in place but it's clear that we don't and therefore this move is ok with me.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 12:11:08 PM »
You know the funniest thing? When I read the headline, my first thought was that it must be his son or something.
I was expecting "West Brom sign Tyrone Mears jr, 17, son of much travelled journeyman Tyrone Mears"
 :)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
My feelings are different to the vast majority on this thread. I would be surprised if Mears actually plays many league games for us in the first instance.

I see this signing as us absolutely needing cover at rb/rwb and exhausting all other avenues. I'd rather us do a short-term deal like this than a longer term deal for someone better but ultimately not good enough. Yes, you'd hope that we'd have a better recruitment strategy in place but it's clear that we don't and therefore this move is ok with me.

Welcome to the voice of reason, great post which has made my knees stop jerking.  And, if as also suggested it is so Darren Moore can divert our seemingly very meagre recourses to elsewhere (ie CM) then all good :)  We ill see come the 31st.

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »
Based on what evidence?
TBH I've never heard of him

Are you serious? You can't remember him from his Derby days?
He's not terrible, there are worse players, but its a massive panic buy. May as well have re-signed Stephen Reid...

bradleysrocket

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 12:15:15 PM »
Hal Robson-Kanu?
I don’t even think that,  I’d even go as far as to suggest Hal would probably be preferred to Mears at right back.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »
I'm struggling for positives, but one is probably that Moore can vouch for his character. That he has a good work ethic and would blend in well in the dressing room. That being said, if he starts making blunders that cost us matches, the good character won't count for alot.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 12:16:00 PM »
I've just thought, what about bloody Kane Wilson?? Surely a better option to recall him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2018, 12:28:13 PM »
I've just thought, what about bloody Kane Wilson?? Surely a better option to recall him

Can't get a game at Walsall.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

koren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2018, 12:28:21 PM »
Spend whole summer to search for a right back, but sign a 35 years old MLS player at last.

Anyway I hope he does well here.
The PRIDE of midlands