Author Topic: Goalkeepers over the years  (Read 12644 times)

allenkevanastle

• Junior Baggie

Re: Goalkeepers over the years
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2019, 05:53:59 PM »
Does anyone else as ancient as me remember Jock Wallace coming flying out of his goal, almost to the halfway line  to  clatter a winger (I think) foolish enough to attempt a quick breakaway towards the end of a game? A complete nutter who I think went on to manage Rangers and Leicester - his training technique being to build a hill of sand and make players run up and down it for a few hours every day. Probably smacked any who complained.
Dick Shephard had the most stuttering run up to a goal kick I have ever seen and the few times he played opposition fans took the mickey something rotten.
We've been blessed with some pretty consistent keepers over the years - albeit consistently average. I think Foster comes out best for me, Ossie second with Godden probably third.
SJ is still young and has the time to become better than he is right now and isn't helped by being instructed to play out short ALL the time which will affect his confidence. I hope he comes on and becomes a really good keeper but he has a way to go yet.