Author Topic: Guochuan Lai  (Read 2363092 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

Re: Guochuan Lai
« Reply #2825 on: July 24, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »
I have been involved in numerous deals and all parties will be working under strict NDA's - only those directly involved will be aware. So that might well in this case exclude everybody other than Peace and the FD (almost certainly need to be involved in the development of the due diligence documentation) plus his lawyers and accountants. Keeping in mind everybody in that group stands to make a lot of money out of the deal then it is no great surprise that we've heard nothing. In fact I think the silence tells us the deal is progressing along nicely. The new buyers will be keen to undertake the work quietly as well - they might well be listed and therefore not keen to share a deal until they are forced to. All of the above is normal and just because its a football club doesn't fundamentally change any of the rules of engagement.

I would imagine the only time fans will get any news is once everything is signed and done.
Absolutely, I have dealt with NDA's in the last year for some strange stuff.
I think if they are really clever they would keep peace involved for at least the next season?
To me it feels like we are setting up deals ready to rubber stamp once takeover is done so that the other clubs don't raise each deal by 5 mill, possibly why we ain't that bothered about 2-3 million diff in a Saido deal either,because this time next year rodders :D
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2826 on: July 24, 2016, 06:14:31 PM »
I have been involved in numerous deals and all parties will be working under strict NDA's - only those directly involved will be aware. So that might well in this case exclude everybody other than Peace and the FD (almost certainly need to be involved in the development of the due diligence documentation) plus his lawyers and accountants. Keeping in mind everybody in that group stands to make a lot of money out of the deal then it is no great surprise that we've heard nothing. In fact I think the silence tells us the deal is progressing along nicely. The new buyers will be keen to undertake the work quietly as well - they might well be listed and therefore not keen to share a deal until they are forced to. All of the above is normal and just because its a football club doesn't fundamentally change any of the rules of engagement.

I would imagine the only time fans will get any news is once everything is signed and done.
That sounds a lot more plausible than "Only Peace knows about it" They would keep it very tight.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2827 on: July 24, 2016, 06:18:17 PM »
I'm fairly sure that something is happening behind the scenes but no sale is guaranteed. It could be the same situation as last year the difference being the club have kept quiet.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2828 on: July 24, 2016, 06:53:34 PM »
That sounds a lot more plausible than "Only Peace knows about it" They would keep it very tight.

"Only Peace know's about it" there is no need for anybody else to be involved until the deal is complete. It's limited to a transfer of ownership of JP's shares, so why would anyone else need to be involved? Even if a potential new owner was to authorise additional spending on players, they could do that through JP.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

RogerBadoo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2829 on: July 24, 2016, 07:26:57 PM »
"Only Peace know's about it" there is no need for anybody else to be involved until the deal is complete. It's limited to a transfer of ownership of JP's shares, so why would anyone else need to be involved? Even if a potential new owner was to authorise additional spending on players, they could do that through JP.

It is fanciful to think a deal of this size would simply be Peace plus advisors. I cannot imagine any organisation paying that much money without a very significant due-diligence process. At the very least that would involve some detailed knowledge of previous years financials plus commercials arrangement including contracts, player dealings, Facilities, HR etc. I would imagine that a small cohort of people from the club must be involved - it might be FD plus HR. Having bought and sold 24 businesses in the last four years I have yet to experience one where the owner has been able to completely exclude key members of staff. Once JP gets through legals its possible he would work on the SPA on his own with his legal advisors - and it is also possible that the buyers used third parties like Deloittes for the DD with his internal team.That said they'd still be aware it was been sold - even if they didn't have any idea who the buyer was.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2830 on: July 24, 2016, 07:35:55 PM »
I don't think so John. In a Small Med. Maybe  but not one of the size of WBA and the holdings that go with it. The previous post by RogerBadoo makes far more sense.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

divinewind

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2831 on: July 24, 2016, 08:09:54 PM »
There's probably only about 3 people in the Albion who know who the buyer is. I doubt meetings are held in the normal offices and the buyers won't leak as it'll alert other buyers.

Professionals with alot to lose won't be leaking.

Yes i would agree with that. These deals are usually done in a hotel. The Chinese representative will book in under the name Mr Smith, and Jeremy wearing a blonde wig will check in as Mrs Smith

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2832 on: July 24, 2016, 08:30:00 PM »
It is fanciful to think a deal of this size would simply be Peace plus advisors. I cannot imagine any organisation paying that much money without a very significant due-diligence process. At the very least that would involve some detailed knowledge of previous years financials plus commercials arrangement including contracts, player dealings, Facilities, HR etc. I would imagine that a small cohort of people from the club must be involved - it might be FD plus HR. Having bought and sold 24 businesses in the last four years I have yet to experience one where the owner has been able to completely exclude key members of staff. Once JP gets through legals its possible he would work on the SPA on his own with his legal advisors - and it is also possible that the buyers used third parties like Deloittes for the DD with his internal team.That said they'd still be aware it was been sold - even if they didn't have any idea who the buyer was.

The buying & selling of a football club is a lot simpler than buying any other business. You just need a head coach to motivate & maximise the assets & a financial/legal exec to control budgets. In our case we've also got a development exec to develop home grown assets. With the exception of the technical side of the business JP is allegedly pretty "hands on". Can't see why he would need to involve anybody else.
I can see why HR would be a big issue in a "normal business", especially things like design, manufacturing, marketing & sales, financial control, & strategic planning etc, but football's a lot simpler than that.
Having said that, I could see that JP might want to include Richard Garlick, Mark Jenkins, Nick Hammond & Tony Pulis in the latter stages, as a matter of courtesy.

Does anyone know what's for sale? According to the Official site West Bromwich Albion football club is owned by West Bromwich Albion Holdings which in turn is a member of the West Bromwich Albion Group. So if it's just West Bromwich Albion Football Club that's for sale, it's entirely feasible that JP is the only one with intimate knowledge of the progress of the sale, if indeed, a sale is actually taking place.

Just as a matter of interest, do you think it's likely to be sold to Chinese?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:08:20 PM by baggiejohn »

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2833 on: July 25, 2016, 08:06:25 AM »
Just to get some of you going ape for a while:

https://twitter.com/dalianwanda/status/757460815565852672

'Wanda has yet another announcement to make. Look for news Tues. 11 a.m. China. Press event: Sofitel. 7F, Beijing.'

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2834 on: July 25, 2016, 08:20:08 AM »
Mmmm 11am China is 4 am in UK so set your alarms lads for tomorrow morning if you really think this could be the news we are waiting for!  - but there again its too good to be true surely!

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2835 on: July 25, 2016, 08:33:59 AM »

'Wanda has yet another announcement to make. Look for news Tues. 11 a.m. China. Press event: Sofitel. 7F, Beijing.'

Got to be headlines in Birmingham Mail  :)

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2836 on: July 25, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »
The tweet

Wanda has yet another announcement to make. Look for news Tues. 11 a.m. China. Press event: Sofitel. 7F, Beijing.

Has pictures of Athetico Madrid and a Marathon runner next to it, so it's surely a sports acquisition?

Please let this happen. There's no way they'd buy us to let us flounder...
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2837 on: July 25, 2016, 08:49:25 AM »
The tweet

Wanda has yet another announcement to make. Look for news Tues. 11 a.m. China. Press event: Sofitel. 7F, Beijing.

Has pictures of Athetico Madrid and a Marathon runner next to it, so it's surely a sports acquisition?

Please let this happen. There's no way they'd buy us to let us flounder...

Perhaps they're buying Nike & Addidas?

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2838 on: July 25, 2016, 08:53:19 AM »
Mmmm 11am China is 4 am in UK so set your alarms lads for tomorrow morning if you really think this could be the news we are waiting for!  - but there again its too good to be true surely!

I ay getting up at 4.00am cause it cor be true!! can it?
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2839 on: July 25, 2016, 09:07:16 AM »
I've not really took a great deal of notice of this "Wanda Group" rumour , because I'm still not convinced it's going to be Chinese, but I've just had a look at their Twitter page.

This is what they said recently

Wanda Group ‏@DalianWanda  Jul 20
Wanda is building the world’s biggest film, tourism, sports companies... and more.

They are also quoted as being one of the world's top 500 companies.

Just can't see them being interested in WBA. Like it or not, there was a higher profile brand just down the road, they could have had for a lot less earlier this year.. Think they've got bigger fish to fry than us.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2840 on: July 25, 2016, 09:07:34 AM »

Do you think the people "going ape" will be disappointed then? I know you said earlier that it definitely wasn't Wanda involved in the takeover. Is this a definite red herring?

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2841 on: July 25, 2016, 09:20:56 AM »
If it is going to be Chinese, trace Watford's owner back to Granada & beyond. They would be a more likely candidate

Cantello

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2842 on: July 25, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »
Doubtful on this. Can't help feeling they would announce a purchase of a UK company later in the day so as to make it a reasonable hour for news in the UK, wouldn't they?

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2843 on: July 25, 2016, 09:26:01 AM »
If it is going to be Chinese, trace Watford's owner back to Granada & beyond. They would be a more likely candidate
The family who own Watford aren't a likely candidate to buy us as you can't own more than one club in the same country because of the conflict of interest.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2844 on: July 25, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »
As I am over in that part of the world tomorrow looks like I will be one of the first Baggie to find out if it is Wandarful news!

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2845 on: July 25, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »
They were in advanced talks to sign Paramount pictures, so I wouldn't be setting any alarm clocks boys!!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2846 on: July 25, 2016, 10:04:46 AM »
The family who own Watford aren't a likely candidate to buy us as you can't own more than one club in the same country because of the conflict of interest.

But they did own Granada, if you google Granada, you will see who owns them now. Have I got to do all the work round here? :)

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2847 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
Do you think the people "going ape" will be disappointed then? I know you said earlier that it definitely wasn't Wanda involved in the takeover. Is this a definite red herring?

I don't KNOW it's not them, I just know what our Twitter contingent is like going crazy over scraps of info being misinterpreted. I wouldn't say 'red herring' as Wanda can do what they like business wise - but the timing of their announcement and the fact 'the richest man in China is signing WBA' has lingered for a year makes me think not.

But to be honest, this announcement looks sports related with those photos - what do I know. Don't hold your breath.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2848 on: July 25, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
But they did own Granada, if you google Granada, you will see who owns them now. Have I got to do all the work round here? :)
John can you put us all out of our misery and find out if we am being sold or not then.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

parksey1972

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2849 on: July 25, 2016, 10:14:46 AM »
Quote from: PsalmXXIII

But to be honest, this announcement looks sports related with those photos - what do I know. Don't hold your breath.
[/quote

May not be sports related. Check out thier FaceBook page, they changed their cover/background to that image a few weeks ago. About the same time as they made a deal with Adidas to promote football in China. Also agreed a deal with FIFA to start a 4 team international tourniment in Chinia.