Author Topic: Harvey Barnes (recalled to Leicester)  (Read 163178 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Harvey Barnes Joins Albion on Loan
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2018, 03:24:23 PM »
Are you actually comparing signing Harvey Barnes to that of Romelu Lukaku on loan, when we were all staggered at him agreeing to come to us and who already had a big reputation within European football!?

Stoke are showing they mean business and are backing their manager. What are we doing exactly other than scrapping around for loans from average Premier League teams' youth squads and cast offs from other Championship teams (Bond, Simon Moore)?

McClean, Ince and Afobe? Wouldn't get in our team based on our current squad.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2018, 03:35:11 PM »
The thing that annoys me with this signing is this is the sort of permanent signings we should be doing, this is the reason we stagnated like a b##ch the last few years, the only club this helps is leicester. Nothing against the player though, but a really frustrating loan move

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2018, 03:37:19 PM »
Are you actually comparing signing Harvey Barnes to that of Romelu Lukaku on loan, when we were all staggered at him agreeing to come to us and who already had a big reputation within European football!?

Stoke are showing they mean business and are backing their manager. What are we doing exactly other than scrapping around for loans from average Premier League teams' youth squads and cast offs from other Championship teams (Bond, Simon Moore)?

Bit selective...We signed Johnstone who most people rate highly and said he was the best keeper in the championship and Bartley who has excelled in the championship too. Is McLean better than Barnes (we will see but highly doubt it)
Who Have Stoke bought that they mean business? They got McLean from us (we robbed them), Ince for 10 Mill (is he better than Phillips?). Afobe is a good forward in the championship I will give you that.
They have spent a lot of money, how wisely time will tell.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2018, 03:39:13 PM »

Clutching at straws a bit to start going on about second choice keepers. Man United have signed Lee Grant this summer. The vast majority of your post means absolutely nothing.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2018, 03:42:06 PM »

McClean, Ince and Afobe? Wouldn't get in our team based on our current squad.

I’m justifying my point on signing youngsters on loan.

We sold McLean, 90% of the fans are happy we have done so, so that’s not a big improvement for stoke in my opinion. Tom Ince I’m not too keen on anyway, he won’t do anything more than what Phillips will do here. I wouldn’t take Adobe over Rondon or Rodriguez either.

If rondon/Rodriguez leave too we will look to replace them, with someone better than Adobe.

People laud stokes business but they haven’t signed anyone spectacular.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2018, 03:47:11 PM »
Good signing.  Upgrade on McClean.  His record in a poor Barnsley side was impressive.
"This crack is really moreish."

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2018, 03:50:10 PM »
I am failing to see the downside here.

If Barnes turns out to be the player he can potentially be and helps us get promoted, then we all of a sudden come into a load of money again for being a premier league club and may have the option to buy him for a probably large fee.

If Leicester decide they want to keep him, then if we get promoted we have will have a whole new pool of other players to try and buy being a premier league club again, Leicester have very cleverly covered their backs by giving him a 4 year deal.

I would imagine that as he was playing well in the championship last season he is probably better than Leko and a couple of our other youngsters, i would assume some will now go out on loan, get some game time.

If we dont do go up and lose Barnes, this time next year we will have our players back from loan who after a year out playing reguarly (like Barnes has done last season or two) may be ready to step up to the first team, if they arent ready, some may be sold on, some may be loaned for another season.

If Barnes isnt upto it then he goes back to leicester, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

After spending £15m on Burke last summer, a signing who as it stands hasnt quite worked out yet (hopefully this season we will see more of him and the player we think he potentially can be) i can understand why we arent throwing £10m on unproven young players.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »
His interview is telling. Says Albion want to play his style of play.

Moore wanting to play pulis ball...Another myth put to bed
New signings tend to say that kind of thing. Let's see how we actually play before people get too high and mighty about it either one way or the other.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2018, 04:00:07 PM »
I am failing to see the downside here.

If Barnes turns out to be the player he can potentially be and helps us get promoted, then we all of a sudden come into a load of money again for being a premier league club and may have the option to buy him for a probably large fee.

If Leicester decide they want to keep him, then if we get promoted we have will have a whole new pool of other players to try and buy being a premier league club again, Leicester have very cleverly covered their backs by giving him a 4 year deal.

I would imagine that as he was playing well in the championship last season he is probably better than Leko and a couple of our other youngsters, i would assume some will now go out on loan, get some game time.

If we dont do go up and lose Barnes, this time next year we will have our players back from loan who after a year out playing reguarly (like Barnes has done last season or two) may be ready to step up to the first team, if they arent ready, some may be sold on, some may be loaned for another season.

If Barnes isnt upto it then he goes back to leicester, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

After spending £15m on Burke last summer, a signing who as it stands hasnt quite worked out yet (hopefully this season we will see more of him and the player we think he potentially can be) i can understand why we arent throwing £10m on unproven young players.

100% agree. Good post

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2018, 04:00:55 PM »
I'm just saying i'm not excited by signing a young player on loan when we have plenty of options in our own academy.

Sorry, but your not just saying......! you were referencing stoke buying McLean & Ince and looking at Chester, thats a totally different issue to using our kids.

I have been a strong advocate of using younger players and I am glad to see DM is moving in that direction, however we shouldn't lurch from the oldest squad to the youngest just for dogmatic reasons. We should keep a nucleus of experience, however (and here is the rub) whose experience we keep and who leaves is somewhat out of our hands at the moment, so the club has no choice than to be sensible, ie one out-one in. 

Once the clauses expire I expect a bit of a shock for some of the comfortable old guard.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2018, 04:02:13 PM »
We’ve replaced a disliked non productive winger
5 goals in over 100 games
With a young exciting one with 5 in 14 games last season
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2018, 04:02:32 PM »
The thing that annoys me with this signing is this is the sort of permanent signings we should be doing
I do agree with this, we really ought to be very near the top of the Championship pecking order when it comes to signing players.

CL3MO

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
Clutching at straws a bit to start going on about second choice keepers. Man United have signed Lee Grant this summer. The vast majority of your post means absolutely nothing.

Not when you look at it in context when I was replying to the previous poster.

They mentioned that it is only a good thing if we are signing a better player, compared to our other younger ones. It just feels that we are only benefiting Leicester with this move. Maybe it is also to do with the fact that it is hard to stomach that we're now reliant on signing loan players from Leicester, a club we would see us on level par with not long ago. I suppose it's the reality of the situation.

The poster also mentioned that us fans weren't moaning when we signed a 'young striker from Chelsea' a few years ago. I merely commented that it is a totally different situation and signing. We aren't meant to feel the same about both signings surely?

The final part was merely comparing our signings to Stoke's. As a fan, and I'm not the only one, I feel underwhelmed with our transfer business and general direction heading towards the new season.

Back onto Harvey Barnes, he looks a potentially useful player for the long grueling Championship season. I would just hope that we have some signings that will inspire the fans and give us some optimism for the future.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2018, 04:45:05 PM »
I think the loans thing bothers some people,I tend to think its similar to renting or owning a property,you have more control if you own it,don't you think?

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »
I think the loans thing bothers some people,I tend to think its similar to renting or owning a property,you have more control if you own it,don't you think?
no it's not its that the club. Usually have been terrible at utilising loans or the loans themselves have been what's the word????? pooh

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2018, 05:04:06 PM »
An exciting signing for me. This lad has pace and can score goals, and has a good assists record too. He was good last season and now, a year older and that bit more experienced, I'm expecting him to be even better. I would much rather him than some failed "star" who no longer has any ambition and plays at 75% whilst picking up a huge pay packet.
And on the Stoke comparison, I'm much happier with our signings than theirs, plus we had a better squad to start with

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
The thing that annoys me with this signing is this is the sort of permanent signings we should be doing, this is the reason we stagnated like a b##ch the last few years, the only club this helps is leicester. Nothing against the player though, but a really frustrating loan move

That’s were we are at as a club now though. Leicester have sent Barnes to us for him to gain experience, they have no intention of selling him he has just signed a new contract with them. We’re now seen as a club that can develop premier league clubs youngsters. Mighty fall from grace

But that’s we’re we are and Barnes sounds like an exciting signing

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2018, 06:01:12 PM »
We’ve replaced a disliked non productive winger
5 goals in over 100 games
With a young exciting one with 5 in 14 games last season

Spot on. Clearly an upgrade and positive news. What's the position with Leicester being able to recall him, do they have option to?

Mo

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2018, 06:13:46 PM »
Whilst I’m all for the development of youngsters I just feel this signing will hide the money received from the McLean sale when really as supporters we should be seeing it reinvested .The  emphasis is to balance the books and make sure the accounts are profitable which will be to the detriment of the playing staff.

Maresca Was A Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »
Good move by the club. Getting a better player in without splashing cash. Means we have money to spend elsewhere on the squad. spending lots of money is not a guarantee for success. Just look back 12 months and remember!!! We blew sh*t loads last summer, even to the point we needed an overdraft to get through the season, and where exactly did it get us. I have no problem signing a league 2 player, IF he improves our squad.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #95 on: July 25, 2018, 05:00:23 AM »
He is an improvement on McClean. He is left footed so he does not add to the stockpile of right footed wide players so he isn't blocking anyone. Would I prefer to buy him? Probably but then again Leicester didn't want or need to sell so a fee of say £15m on an as yet unproven youngster maybe not. 
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

elminius

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #96 on: July 25, 2018, 06:48:28 AM »
He is an improvement on McClean. He is left footed so he does not add to the stockpile of right footed wide players so he isn't blocking anyone. Would I prefer to buy him? Probably but then again Leicester didn't want or need to sell so a fee of say £15m on an as yet unproven youngster maybe not.

Pity we didnt do that with Burke then! Or is the club back in charge now rather than the manager?

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2018, 08:37:40 AM »
Not when you look at it in context when I was replying to the previous poster.

They mentioned that it is only a good thing if we are signing a better player, compared to our other younger ones. It just feels that we are only benefiting Leicester with this move. Maybe it is also to do with the fact that it is hard to stomach that we're now reliant on signing loan players from Leicester, a club we would see us on level par with not long ago. I suppose it's the reality of the situation.

The poster also mentioned that us fans weren't moaning when we signed a 'young striker from Chelsea' a few years ago. I merely commented that it is a totally different situation and signing. We aren't meant to feel the same about both signings surely?

The final part was merely comparing our signings to Stoke's. As a fan, and I'm not the only one, I feel underwhelmed with our transfer business and general direction heading towards the new season.

Back onto Harvey Barnes, he looks a potentially useful player for the long grueling Championship season. I would just hope that we have some signings that will inspire the fans and give us some optimism for the future.

Well considering we got ourselves relegated there's nothing we can do about nurturing Leicester's talent for them, it's our fault and we'll have to deal with it.

If Barnes contributes in a team that are promoted then we're back where we started from and will have greater funds with which to secure ourselves a permanent replacement. As a replacement for McClean, he's younger, has a better goalscoring record and we've made the best part of £5m profit.

You're also forgetting we still have the likes of Chadli, Dawson and Rondon - who now they're involved in pre-season cannot be written off. The plan is obviously to hold onto these players, hence why the clauses run out before the end of the window. If these players stay, they're better than any business Stoke or Swansea or whoever else in the Championship has done so far this summer.

Keeping hold of these players also means we probably wont be seeing any big money signings coming in and to me it seems we're trying to build a strong group of young attacking players, something we've been needing for years. Relax.

telford baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »
Good move by the club. Getting a better player in without splashing cash. Means we have money to spend elsewhere on the squad. spending lots of money is not a guarantee for success. Just look back 12 months and remember!!! We blew sh*t loads last summer, even to the point we needed an overdraft to get through the season, and where exactly did it get us. I have no problem signing a league 2 player, IF he improves our squad.
its all bout profit now sell players snd pocket the money. yeah lets look back 12 months and the same rubbish players that got us relegated but all of a sudden they are world beaters again becsuse of a 6 game season snd people are desperate to keep.until players like nyom,brunt,barry and kanu are out the team we may aswell enjoy life back as a mid table club cause that is what we are

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
its all bout profit now sell players snd pocket the money. yeah lets look back 12 months and the same rubbish players that got us relegated but all of a sudden they are world beaters again becsuse of a 6 game season snd people are desperate to keep.until players like nyom,brunt,barry and kanu are out the team we may aswell enjoy life back as a mid table club cause that is what we are

Half of the players you mention wont be in the team regularly. Of the other two, one is club captain (probably) and the other may yet be replaced. You also fail to mention that we've still got Rondon, Chadli, Dawson, Hegazi on the books. All of whom would walk into any side in this league, should they leave they will give us enough time and money to replace them more than adequately. Go for a walk pal, it's lovely outside.