Author Topic: Are we a selling club?  (Read 4778 times)

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

Are we a selling club?
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:38:36 PM »
If we stay up would be able to keep out best players like Mulumbu, Dorrans, Brunt and Ollson or would the club sell them for profit? I feel we are still a selling club and would not be able to hold on to them if the right teams/money came in for them.
Gera, Gera, Gera

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Are we a selling club?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
I'd be more bothered about if we were relegated. If we stay up, I reckon they'll stay. Not for two long though.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:01:39 PM »
I think the majority of football clubs are "selling clubs". If an appropriate offer came in that we deemed 'too good to turn down', then we would sell any player. I mean every player has their price.

You also have to factor into account whether said player would be interested in a move away. I mean if a Tottenham or Liverpool were interested in Mulumbu, would we be able to stand in the way of the player. He'd be offered better terms and potentially to perform in Europe.

It's crucial we survive this season, in my opinion. If we do, I think we'll be able to hold onto Mulumbu and Dorrans. Brunt, who's 26 maybe interested in a move if an established Premiership club were interested.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 10:31:27 PM »
Bar Chelsea and Man City i cant see teams paying the sort of fee we would want for our star players and money has fallen out of the game lately.We've built well over the last few seasons and invested heavily in tranfer areas so i dont see why we would rip it up and start again.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
We are a selling club if the right offer comes in, every player has his price.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »
Lyon are the perfect example, as are Arsenal if you look at their sales over the years. Everyone has a price, we're not a selling club as in we HAVE to, for cashflow reasons, but if we were offered £9mill+ for Brunt then that's a good deal and it would be wise for Brunt to go if that team offered Europe and better wages, it is a career afterall for them.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

wappingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:51:49 PM »
We ARE a selling club - our repeated relegations have caused players that we wanted to keep to demand moves ( in some cases the demand has been very aggressive - see Koumas, Davies, and Robinson) - and we, being pragmatic, have decided there's no oint keeping a player with tha mindset - to our immense credit we have nonetheless achieved very high transfer fees in almost every case.

What I find interesting is the fact that hardly any of the players that we have sold have turned out to be good investments for the buyers - in almost every case the buyers must have bitterly regretted it - Ellington, Earnshaw, Koumas, Davies, Greening, Kamara, ...probably only Robinson is the only one where the buyer definitely considers he got his money's worth - maybe PIG and Gera they might write the cheque again.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »
Id be more worried if we went down, in regards to who will leave.

Can see our squad getting picked apart if we go down, its CRUCIAL we stay up.

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 01:24:36 PM »
I think player power and freedom of contract makes any club a selling club if a player wants to go.

Even Man U (Ronaldo/Tevez) & Liverpool (Torres) are selling clubs, soon to be joined by Arsenal (Fabergas).
I only go for the beer.

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 01:57:59 PM »
I think the majority of football clubs are "selling clubs". If an appropriate offer came in that we deemed 'too good to turn down', then we would sell any player. I mean every player has their price.

You also have to factor into account whether said player would be interested in a move away. I mean if a Tottenham or Liverpool were interested in Mulumbu, would we be able to stand in the way of the player. He'd be offered better terms and potentially to perform in Europe.

It's crucial we survive this season, in my opinion. If we do, I think we'll be able to hold onto Mulumbu and Dorrans. Brunt, who's 26 maybe interested in a move if an established Premiership club were interested.
I couldn't agree with you more Rajesh, one only has to look at the Torres and Carroll scenarios as a perfect illustration of your point.
At the Arsenal game I was chatting to a brother Baggie and we agreed that Brunty looks as if he'll be off soon.
Chris's demeanour is a dead giveaway IMO.. he still tries hard but has lost that ..FIRE I'd be so happy to be proved wrong however ???
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 02:29:28 PM »
Brunt has gone through a lull every season he's been here. Usually he eschews his form the last couple of months which bodes well for us.

63Brummie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Brunt has gone through a lull every season he's been here. Usually he eschews his form the last couple of months which bodes well for us.
I hope your right Dan :)
Your Football team is the best example of pure unconditional love...that's why I'm a BAGGIE TO THE BONE

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 04:00:28 PM »
Dont think anyone of our players would attract interest from a premiership team besides Dorrans, sorry.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »
Dont think anyone of our players would attract interest from a premiership team besides Dorrans, sorry.

Think that's a little harsh, I'm sure a few would definitely have a look at Olsson and Mulumbu, plus a few others. 
Allllllll aboard

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
We are a selling club when it suits us and generally on our terms. No problem with that.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
As a few have said, there aren't many clubs who you wouldn't class as selling clubs. Maybe Real Madrid and Barcelona but as we have seen everyone else have their price.

If we stay up we may let the likes of Mulumbu and Odemwingie may go if a richer club comes in with the right offer but the advantage we have is that we are not forced to sell due to debt so we at least have that advantage.
Boing Boing

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 09:39:40 PM »

given dorrans injuries and his lack of form bar a few games, i'm not sure people would gamble a huge fee on him....

mulumbu and olsson would be off imho
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Rich99

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »
I'd say that we are no more a selling club than any other club our size.

However, getting relegated makes it very difficult to hang onto players.

If someone like Liverpool comes in for a player its difficult for pretty much every club baring the other big 4 to say no, sadly that's just the way it is.  Clubs bigger than us find it hard to say no to the larger clubs.

However, if we stay up, yet start selling our best players to the likes of Fulham, Stoke etc, I'd be a little disappointed. >:(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 09:46:25 PM by Rich99 »

Rich99

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
given dorrans injuries and his lack of form bar a few games, i'm not sure people would gamble a huge fee on him....

mulumbu and olsson would be off imho

Agreed, I don't think Dorran's has particularly shone this year: a few glimpses of quality but a lot of misfiring too.

I can't see a mega offer coming in for Dorran's, that's not to say someone might try and get him on the cheap in the hope he really starts firing on all cylinders.