Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2250044 times)

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #2200 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:09 PM »
Where are those Villa fans who populated the forum at the start of the season?
No doubts they will be back out if they get a result against us...

Still adding up the "Goals Against" column  :-*
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2201 on: January 05, 2013, 08:23:38 AM »
Time for Villa to have wilderness years
It’s clear that animosity is growing between us and Villa. Our mentions on their messageboards say it all. Great say I. This is a natural part of rivalry with both sets of clubs coming out with wild inaccurate generalisations about their local enemies.
For what’s it worth I don’t particularly hate Villa, but there is no team I enjoy beating more. I have quite a few mates who follow Villa and went to a school in Edgbaston,(Bearwood side) where it was almost a half and half split.
That was back in the 70s and early 80s and it is true to say around there no Villa fans gave a monkey’s about Blues or Albion fans about Wolves.
In those days whilst we had a great side we only got the better of Villa on a handful of occasions.
With both our clubs having a rich history there was a healthy respect.
In those seasons to the mid 80s there was a cracking rivalry with the 4 big West Mids clubs all up there and Cov as well in the mix.
What happened in the mid 80s then handed all the cards to Villa. Still fresh from recent title and European wins their two closest geographical rival disappeared at the same time into the wilderness where they stayed for a generation. This hadn’t happened before and with success breeding success all wavering fansand football luvvies enticed by the new game called the Premier League headed to Seal Park to see Villa at the top table.
Whilst at this time we and Blues were sliding to the 3rd tier, in front of 10,000 crowds losing to the likes of Woking and Kidderminster, and generally scrambling around for existence all through the 90s.
In that 86-02 period, when us and Blues re appeared Villa came close to winning the title twice more, had a couple of League Cup wins and lost a cup final.
Albion shirts disappeared altogether from Bearwood in that period. I’d say the same was happening in the likes of Stechford with Blues shirts.
By now the gulf between the clubs were a chasm. I saw us lose 4 0 in the cup to them in 98 with them mocking us as minnows – the media were saying the same. It was a sad day for all of those who historically remembered us as the club we were, and the more decent wiser Villa fans I spoke to were saying that too.
Since our re-emergence in 02 we have been a yoyo club hardly troubling Villa’s dominance as top dogs until the last couple of years.
Last year was only the 3rd or 4th time in almost 40 years Villa haven’t been top W Mids dogs. Wolves did it in 80, Blues a few years ago and us in 79, of course.
Villa had one relegation near the end of the 80s, but they bounced back straight away. No 16 years in the darkness for them so their dynasty continued.
Now, through the tides of life we thankfully have a decent side again, back to the type of club we historically have been, which only Villa fans over 40 will know. Meanwhile Villa are a club in crisis.
They have had half a lifetime of the comfort zone. The last real slump period they had was in the late 60s to 75, a eight year period, which no one under 55 will remember.
Well, maybe it is now their time to suffer. God knows we have. Maybe 8 0 at Chelsea is a sign of things to come. Well, if it is I won’t pity them anymore than they pitied us.
I will see it as an opportunity to make up the ground lost in the wilderness years and give a more equal footing.
It seems some of them say they don’t give a pooh. Well they do. They are not top dogs anymore and you have to look back to the early 70s in their wilderness years to find the last time they weren’t top dogs for 2 years in a row around here- Something highly likely to happen this year.
Also, they don’t like us singing about being pride of the midlands. Sorry but we are now. Yes, you may be the bigger club and we all know about Peter Withe in off the post in 82 and all that stuff. Yes, you have more fans and more recent silverware, but we are currently a better club.
We are better run, with a better squad of players and better prospects. How many Villa players would get in the starting 11 at Albion? Is Benteke, their best player, any better than Lukaku, our 3rd choice striker.
At the minute Villa are pooh, and all the gloryhunter element who laughed at our demise and belittled us might just be seeing what goes around comes around.
They might also learn a little bit about other footbal clubs. Of local fans I have found their fans generally the least knowledgeable about the game- it comes of an attitude of arrogance borne of them previosly seeming relegation proof.
It’s a long time since Villa had a period in the darkness. Now might well be the time, and if it is you won’t see any tears at the Hawthorns, Molineux or St Andrews. You might find a little bit of humbling might just make Villa a nicer club. Their time will come again, but let’s hope not for a good while and in the meantime we will enjoy being Pride of the Midlands.
v

Excellent post and spot on with all your observations.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2202 on: January 05, 2013, 09:42:12 AM »
Time for Villa to have wilderness years
It’s clear that animosity is growing between us and Villa. Our mentions on their messageboards say it all. Great say I. This is a natural part of rivalry with both sets of clubs coming out with wild inaccurate generalisations about their local enemies.
For what’s it worth I don’t particularly hate Villa, but there is no team I enjoy beating more. I have quite a few mates who follow Villa and went to a school in Edgbaston,(Bearwood side) where it was almost a half and half split.
That was back in the 70s and early 80s and it is true to say around there no Villa fans gave a monkey’s about Blues or Albion fans about Wolves.
In those days whilst we had a great side we only got the better of Villa on a handful of occasions.
With both our clubs having a rich history there was a healthy respect.
In those seasons to the mid 80s there was a cracking rivalry with the 4 big West Mids clubs all up there and Cov as well in the mix.
What happened in the mid 80s then handed all the cards to Villa. Still fresh from recent title and European wins their two closest geographical rival disappeared at the same time into the wilderness where they stayed for a generation. This hadn’t happened before and with success breeding success all wavering fansand football luvvies enticed by the new game called the Premier League headed to Seal Park to see Villa at the top table.
Whilst at this time we and Blues were sliding to the 3rd tier, in front of 10,000 crowds losing to the likes of Woking and Kidderminster, and generally scrambling around for existence all through the 90s.
In that 86-02 period, when us and Blues re appeared Villa came close to winning the title twice more, had a couple of League Cup wins and lost a cup final.
Albion shirts disappeared altogether from Bearwood in that period. I’d say the same was happening in the likes of Stechford with Blues shirts.
By now the gulf between the clubs were a chasm. I saw us lose 4 0 in the cup to them in 98 with them mocking us as minnows – the media were saying the same. It was a sad day for all of those who historically remembered us as the club we were, and the more decent wiser Villa fans I spoke to were saying that too.
Since our re-emergence in 02 we have been a yoyo club hardly troubling Villa’s dominance as top dogs until the last couple of years.
Last year was only the 3rd or 4th time in almost 40 years Villa haven’t been top W Mids dogs. Wolves did it in 80, Blues a few years ago and us in 79, of course.
Villa had one relegation near the end of the 80s, but they bounced back straight away. No 16 years in the darkness for them so their dynasty continued.
Now, through the tides of life we thankfully have a decent side again, back to the type of club we historically have been, which only Villa fans over 40 will know. Meanwhile Villa are a club in crisis.
They have had half a lifetime of the comfort zone. The last real slump period they had was in the late 60s to 75, a eight year period, which no one under 55 will remember.
Well, maybe it is now their time to suffer. God knows we have. Maybe 8 0 at Chelsea is a sign of things to come. Well, if it is I won’t pity them anymore than they pitied us.
I will see it as an opportunity to make up the ground lost in the wilderness years and give a more equal footing.
It seems some of them say they don’t give a pooh. Well they do. They are not top dogs anymore and you have to look back to the early 70s in their wilderness years to find the last time they weren’t top dogs for 2 years in a row around here- Something highly likely to happen this year.
Also, they don’t like us singing about being pride of the midlands. Sorry but we are now. Yes, you may be the bigger club and we all know about Peter Withe in off the post in 82 and all that stuff. Yes, you have more fans and more recent silverware, but we are currently a better club.
We are better run, with a better squad of players and better prospects. How many Villa players would get in the starting 11 at Albion? Is Benteke, their best player, any better than Lukaku, our 3rd choice striker.
At the minute Villa are pooh, and all the gloryhunter element who laughed at our demise and belittled us might just be seeing what goes around comes around.
They might also learn a little bit about other footbal clubs. Of local fans I have found their fans generally the least knowledgeable about the game- it comes of an attitude of arrogance borne of them previosly seeming relegation proof.
It’s a long time since Villa had a period in the darkness. Now might well be the time, and if it is you won’t see any tears at the Hawthorns, Molineux or St Andrews. You might find a little bit of humbling might just make Villa a nicer club. Their time will come again, but let’s hope not for a good while and in the meantime we will enjoy being Pride of the Midlands.
v
Excellent post....so much so, I´ve had it tattooed onto my back.  :'( :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

wdbroun

« Reply #2203 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:05 PM »
He's quite good, and he would plug a huge hole.

"The chief problem is Lescott's salary but he was a Villa fan as a kid and that may help."

However, this "fan as a kid" explanation is truly grasping at straws. He lay down for his last games at Everton to force a move to City. That's not the kind of player who is motivated by anything but pure greed.
Looks like the hole will remain as wide as ever. Lescott's staying put: http://metro.co.uk/2013/01/0 5/joleon-lescott-snubs-everton-or-aston-villa-transfer-to-stay-at-manchester-city-3339587/

So much for adoring growing-up-loving-Villa line.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #2204 on: January 06, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »
We had our time in the wildnerness when we were in the 3rd division in the 70's.

We had record breaking crowds for the division too and won a trophy on our way back into the top flight.

So what is the lesson? Even when the Villa are very, very pooh, we will never be as bad as SHA or the like.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2205 on: January 06, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »
We had our time in the wildnerness when we were in the 3rd division in the 70's.

We had record breaking crowds for the division too and won a trophy on our way back into the top flight.

So what is the lesson? Even when the Villa are very, very poo, we will never be as bad as SHA or the like.

Ancient history, fair enough you won a trophy as a lower league team good going back then but not unique .
Fast forward to modern times and you have been ever present in the premier league and have been trophy less this Century.
The only local team to win anything this past 13yrs are Birmingham City and yet you dismiss them.
I fail to see what point you are trying to make.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #2206 on: January 06, 2013, 11:20:31 AM »
Its explicitly stated.

We should be in a final come February to right a few wrongs.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2207 on: January 06, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »
Its explicitly stated.

To get another 8 put past you yes
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2208 on: January 06, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
Did villa win yesterday I asked myself this morning, then I came on the forum & there was a post from mcskittle, no need for me to check Sky Sports then.

So what is the lesson? Even when the Villa are very, very poo, we will never be as bad as SHA or the like.

Thats an easy one to answer.....................its a HISTORY lesson.......... from a villa fan.......again & again & again & again....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs yawwwwwwwn
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2209 on: January 06, 2013, 12:58:44 PM »
Its explicitly stated.

Exactly what have you explicitly stated that is relevant.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:01:34 PM by KYA »

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2210 on: January 06, 2013, 01:14:30 PM »
Ancient history, fair enough you won a trophy as a lower league team good going back then but not unique .
Fast forward to modern times and you have been ever present in the premier league and have been trophy less this Century.
The only local team to win anything this past 13yrs are Birmingham City and yet you dismiss them.
I fail to see what point you are trying to make.

You mean the trophy that when Blues won was a Mickey Mouse Cup to all villa fans ?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2211 on: January 06, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
You mean the trophy that when Blues won was a Mickey Mouse Cup to all villa fans ?

Indeed but that was just jealousy on their behalf.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #2212 on: January 06, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »
Why is it a Micky Mouse trophy?

I can understand the point that anything SHA win or are associated with will suffer an instant devaluation, a bit like a family with more ASBOs than teeth moving into your street, but its a major trophy and come the end of next month hopefully we will win it again.

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #2213 on: January 06, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
That is not what you lot said when Blues won it.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #2214 on: January 06, 2013, 03:13:14 PM »
When SHA won it my comments were along the lines of a few curses on Arsenal.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2215 on: January 06, 2013, 03:36:22 PM »
Why is it a Micky Mouse trophy?

I can understand the point that anything SHA win or are associated with will suffer an instant devaluation, a bit like a family with more ASBOs than teeth moving into your street, but its a major trophy and come the end of next month hopefully we will win it again.

We never called it Mickey Mouse you vilers are the one's who called it that.
Any chance you can clarify your earlier  post?.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #2216 on: January 06, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
Thre was a long post looking at years gone by as proof that we're in some terminal decline, never to be seen again for a hundred years.

I merely qualified it by saying we've done our time in the dark ages thank you. Then on further reflection, even in our worst years, we were still the biggest and most successful around these parts.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2217 on: January 06, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »
A tricky away tie at Millwall for them in the Cup.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2218 on: January 06, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
Thre was a long post looking at years gone by as proof that we're in some terminal decline, never to be seen again for a hundred years.

I merely qualified it by saying we've done our time in the dark ages thank you. Then on further reflection, even in our worst years, we were still the biggest and most successful around these parts.

Also the most arrogant and the most fickle set of fans ever known in the West Midlands.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2219 on: January 06, 2013, 04:49:58 PM »
Also the most arrogant and the most fickle set of fans ever known in the West Midlands.
No................... the world
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2220 on: January 06, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »

You should try being less melodramatic.
Try reading it again it is a very good post.
By worst years i take it you're talking about your earlier post of being a lower league side who won a cup.
Taking that into consideration and applying the same logic Birmingham City are now the most successful around these parts.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 04:57:55 PM by KYA »

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #2221 on: January 06, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
A question;

Fans who boo their team after losing a tight game at home 2-1, despite having their best season in nearly 30 years.

Fickle?

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2222 on: January 06, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »
A question;

Fans who boo their team after losing a tight game at home 2-1, despite having their best season in nearly 30 years.

Fickle?

Fair point.

A question;

What about fans who boo their team first game of the season having finished 6th the previous year!!!.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2223 on: January 06, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »
Fair point.

A question;

What about fans who boo their team first game of the season having finished 6th the previous year!!!.

Well said KYA, have an After Eight mint on me! ;D
Baggie in Southampton

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #2224 on: January 06, 2013, 05:50:20 PM »
That proves that no single club has a monopoly or a majority when it comes to booing. Something to consider should anybody in their glass house ready up a stone to throw.