Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2261645 times)

KYA

• WBA Coach

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #2175 on: January 03, 2013, 07:02:21 AM »
I don't have any trouble understanding it. There are rivalries in America that approach the intensity of a BCD, but they exist almost entirely in college sports.

The one with which I'm most familiar, Missouri Tigers v Kansas Jayhawks, dates to 1891 and has its origins in actual warfare, with guns. Kansas and Missouri were on opposite sides during the American Civil War, and both teams are named for military units.

Interesting facts i can imagine how keen that is with the History you describe.
I should have gone into more depth,Don't ask me to choose luv summed it up nicely.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2176 on: January 03, 2013, 07:17:24 AM »
Yeah, maybe, what you say makes sense to a degree, but it's still nowhere near as widespread and deep as British rivalries, where hating rival clubs and their fans seems to be a kind of sad lifestyle.

Its not just British football where rivalry is so intense its worldwide.
Football is tribal you don't understand that fine but don't call people who feel that intensity sad.

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2177 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:07 AM »
Yeah, maybe, what you say makes sense to a degree, but it's still nowhere near as widespread and deep as British rivalries, where hating rival clubs and their fans seems to be a kind of sad lifestyle.

As widespread? No. As deep? I said it approaches a BCD, but it is inaccurate to say that it is "nowhere near." I assure you that the three generations of MU alumni in my family feel virtually the same towards KU as Albion fans do towards the Dingles, and they are not in the slightest unusual or extreme. MU even has its own ultras, known as the Antlers.

Your condescending dismissal of something with which you have no personal experience -- namely a fierce athletic rivalry -- is arrogant and rather rude, considering the audience you are addressing.

Interesting facts i can imagine how keen that is with the History you describe.
I should have gone into more depth,Don't ask me to choose luv summed it up nicely.

Yes, a Villa fan is better off avoiding this thread if he isn't prepared for some pointed banter.  ;)

wdbroun

« Reply #2178 on: January 03, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
Your condescending dismissal of something with which you have no personal experience -- namely a fierce athletic rivalry -- is arrogant and rather rude, considering the audience you are addressing.
Oh, dear. I disagree. If I came across as condescending, I wholeheartedly apologize. I am trying to be honest about my thoughts, and when I see the amount of energy and time invested in despising rival teams, it really does strike me as worthy of pity -- and I'm certainly not alone in such an assessment. I love Albion and find it very easy to do so without hating any rival teams' supporters. It's remarkably easy for me to hold and sustain such an attitude.  Perhaps, if I had the privilege of going to live matches, and came face to face with rival fans, I'd feel otherwise. But that's not the case with me. If that's being arrogant, I'm afraid I stand guilty as charged. Surely you wouldn't rather I pretend to be someone I'm not?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:13:18 PM by wdbroun »

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2179 on: January 03, 2013, 04:10:11 PM »
Oh, dear. I disagree.

You can disagree, but....

Our rivalry is about who our fathers supported, not which of their neighbours they fought in a civil war.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:21:14 PM by The Black Pearl »
Baggie in Southampton

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2180 on: January 03, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »
People who have no rivalry with a team I feel kind of sorry for, as they wont have the chance to feel how I did after we beat the Wolves and Villa or the excitment leading upto the game.

Treating every game the same would be pretty boring.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2181 on: January 03, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »

Treating every game the same winds up your rivals even more  ;)
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2182 on: January 03, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »
Treating every game the same winds up your rivals even more  ;)

Oh yeah but but deep down, you cant help but be excited coming up to playing a rival!  :D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:30:26 PM by OldburyWBA »

wdbroun

« Reply #2183 on: January 03, 2013, 10:46:59 PM »
People who have no rivalry with a team I feel kind of sorry for, as they wont have the chance to feel how I did after we beat the Wolves and Villa or the excitment leading upto the game.

Boring? I am crazily, flabbergastedly, brain-explodingly excited about the upcoming Albion-Villa match this month. I can hardly overstate how consumed I feel about it. It's like waiting for the Summer and Winter Olympics combined. It's not quite like the semi-finals of the World Cup, but it's pretty damn close.

To paragraph the great English poet Rupert Brooke, there will be that day "some corner of a foreign field" in America "that is for ever West Bromwich." I will be wearing my Albion stuff, putting all of life on hold, making my own meat pie (from scratch) and tea, and basically doing all I can to pretend I am sitting 5,000 miles to the east in the West Midlands. Part of the reason I come on the forum is because it helps serves the desperate needs of far-flung Albion supporters who cannot attend matches in person and want to feel part of the excitement with the lads.

All this excitement requires absolutely zero loathing of Villa, I've found. But that's just me. I still want Albion to win, just as rabidly as the next bloke, but I'm just way more concerned about that than the prospect of Villa losing, which I don't care that much about.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:58:43 PM by OldburyWBA »

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2184 on: January 03, 2013, 11:09:36 PM »
Boring? I am crazily, flabbergastedly, brain-explodingly excited about the upcoming Albion-Villa match this month. I can hardly overstate how consumed I feel about it. It's like waiting for the Summer and Winter Olympics combined. It's not quite like the semi-finals of the World Cup, but it's pretty damn close.

To paragraph the great English poet Rupert Brooke, there will be that day "some corner of a foreign field" in America "that is for ever West Bromwich." I will be wearing my Albion stuff, putting all of life on hold, making my own meat pie (from scratch) and tea, and basically doing all I can to pretend I am sitting 5,000 miles to the east in the West Midlands. Part of the reason I come on the forum is because it helps serves the desperate needs of far-flung Albion supporters who cannot attend matches in person and want to feel part of the excitement with the lads.

All this excitement requires absolutely zero loathing of Villa, I've found. But that's just me. I still want Albion to win, just as rabidly as the next bloke, but I'm just way more concerned about that than the prospect of Villa losing, which I don't care that much about.

Woahh mate, that wasnt aimed at no one it was just a general comment at the way I feel about derbies. I respect you a lot for following on from your father as an Albion fan the same as probably 99% of the posters on here.

Bit of a misundertsanding I think, I was just saying I couldnt imagine following the Albion and having no derby to look forward to.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2185 on: January 03, 2013, 11:57:12 PM »
of course the Vile  will play down our game...makes it easier for them to accept another defeat of we ain't REALLY a rival...

SOTV
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2186 on: January 04, 2013, 09:00:11 AM »

Why the excitement ? if you have no loathing of the vile,that just makes it another game coming up like Norwich or Southampton.
You just don't understand football at all.

You want Albion to win as much as the next man:no you don't you have no idea of the emotions we will go  through win and its the best feeling ever lose and it feels like your guts have been ripped out.
That feeling stays with you until the next meeting not just for a day or two.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:06:56 AM by KYA »

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2187 on: January 04, 2013, 12:30:23 PM »

Why the excitement ? if you have no loathing of the vile,that just makes it another game coming up like Norwich or Southampton.

You want Albion to win as much as the next man:no you don't you have no idea of the emotions we will go  through win and its the best feeling ever lose and it feels like your guts have been ripped out.

Are you trying to drive the lad away? Do you think it might just be possible that while different, the feelings and experiences of someone living 5,000 miles away might be just as real as those of us who live within a stone's throw?

To accuse someone of not understanding football simply because they don't think the same way as you is really not reasonable. Try to put yourself in the place of someone who doesn't have every day contact with supporters of Abion as well as Villa and other clubs.

His experience of watching and following Albion is utterly different to yours, but no less valid.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2188 on: January 04, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
Are you trying to drive the lad away? Do you think it might just be possible that while different, the feelings and experiences of someone living 5,000 miles away might be just as real as those of us who live within a stone's throw?

To accuse someone of not understanding football simply because they don't think the same way as you is really not reasonable. Try to put yourself in the place of someone who doesn't have every day contact with supporters of Abion as well as Villa and other clubs.

His experience of watching and following Albion is utterly different to yours, but no less valid.
Totally agree, I remember being a kid watching the WWF wrestling and getting proper excited for weeks before the likes of summerslam and royal rumble etc, yet that is 5000 miles away and I have never been to see it live and although I was a fan of the likes of the Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin etc I never hated anyone. Fair play to him I say and if he is as excited as he says he is then even better, whats the problem KYA he is one of us after all!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

wdbroun

« Reply #2189 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »

I don't really know what to say to all this, but I you're entitled to your opinion, obviously.

... anyway, getting back on topic, is Lescott going to keep Villa from the drop zone? Is he really that good?
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-talk-joleon-lescott-to-aston-villa-danny-graham-to-reading-loic-remy-to-newcastle-8438510.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:52:25 PM by wdbroun »

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2190 on: January 04, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »

I totally agree with that comment Chipperfan, i can see that but he can't.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:38:47 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2191 on: January 04, 2013, 05:25:17 PM »
... anyway, getting back on topic, is Lescott going to keep Villa from the drop zone? Is he really that good?
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-talk-joleon-lescott-to-aston-villa-danny-graham-to-reading-loic-remy-to-newcastle-8438510.html

He's quite good, and he would plug a huge hole.

"The chief problem is Lescott's salary but he was a Villa fan as a kid and that may help."

However, this "fan as a kid" explanation is truly grasping at straws. He lay down for his last games at Everton to force a move to City. That's not the kind of player who is motivated by anything but pure greed.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2192 on: January 04, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
I'd be very surprised if Lescott goes to the villa, they seem to be cutting the wage bill and I can't see them wanting to pay his salary unless City offer to pay some of it but other clubs would be interested in him, also he is on the fringes of the England side, moving to villa and their struggle might not be the move to help with that.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2193 on: January 04, 2013, 06:24:09 PM »
I'd be very surprised if Lescott goes to the villa, they seem to be cutting the wage bill and I can't see them wanting to pay his salary unless City offer to pay some of it but other clubs would be interested in him, also he is on the fringes of the England side, moving to villa and their struggle might not be the move to help with that.

But villa are a big club, with a fantastic history and great fans!  ???  ;D

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #2194 on: January 04, 2013, 06:26:25 PM »
But villa are a big club, with a fantastic history and great fans!  ???  ;D

:D You're having me on, never heard that one

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2195 on: January 04, 2013, 06:32:57 PM »
:D You're having me on, never heard that one

Nope they won the European cup recently apparently. But they really don't like talking about it.

Lescot won't go to villa he loves wolves, apparently.

AlbionHarley

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #2196 on: January 04, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
Time for Villa to have wilderness years
It’s clear that animosity is growing between us and Villa. Our mentions on their messageboards say it all. Great say I. This is a natural part of rivalry with both sets of clubs coming out with wild inaccurate generalisations about their local enemies.
For what’s it worth I don’t particularly hate Villa, but there is no team I enjoy beating more. I have quite a few mates who follow Villa and went to a school in Edgbaston,(Bearwood side) where it was almost a half and half split.
That was back in the 70s and early 80s and it is true to say around there no Villa fans gave a monkey’s about Blues or Albion fans about Wolves.
In those days whilst we had a great side we only got the better of Villa on a handful of occasions.
With both our clubs having a rich history there was a healthy respect.
In those seasons to the mid 80s there was a cracking rivalry with the 4 big West Mids clubs all up there and Cov as well in the mix.
What happened in the mid 80s then handed all the cards to Villa. Still fresh from recent title and European wins their two closest geographical rival disappeared at the same time into the wilderness where they stayed for a generation. This hadn’t happened before and with success breeding success all wavering fansand football luvvies enticed by the new game called the Premier League headed to Seal Park to see Villa at the top table.
Whilst at this time we and Blues were sliding to the 3rd tier, in front of 10,000 crowds losing to the likes of Woking and Kidderminster, and generally scrambling around for existence all through the 90s.
In that 86-02 period, when us and Blues re appeared Villa came close to winning the title twice more, had a couple of League Cup wins and lost a cup final.
Albion shirts disappeared altogether from Bearwood in that period. I’d say the same was happening in the likes of Stechford with Blues shirts.
By now the gulf between the clubs were a chasm. I saw us lose 4 0 in the cup to them in 98 with them mocking us as minnows – the media were saying the same. It was a sad day for all of those who historically remembered us as the club we were, and the more decent wiser Villa fans I spoke to were saying that too.
Since our re-emergence in 02 we have been a yoyo club hardly troubling Villa’s dominance as top dogs until the last couple of years.
Last year was only the 3rd or 4th time in almost 40 years Villa haven’t been top W Mids dogs. Wolves did it in 80, Blues a few years ago and us in 79, of course.
Villa had one relegation near the end of the 80s, but they bounced back straight away. No 16 years in the darkness for them so their dynasty continued.
Now, through the tides of life we thankfully have a decent side again, back to the type of club we historically have been, which only Villa fans over 40 will know. Meanwhile Villa are a club in crisis.
They have had half a lifetime of the comfort zone. The last real slump period they had was in the late 60s to 75, a eight year period, which no one under 55 will remember.
Well, maybe it is now their time to suffer. God knows we have. Maybe 8 0 at Chelsea is a sign of things to come. Well, if it is I won’t pity them anymore than they pitied us.
I will see it as an opportunity to make up the ground lost in the wilderness years and give a more equal footing.
It seems some of them say they don’t give a pooh. Well they do. They are not top dogs anymore and you have to look back to the early 70s in their wilderness years to find the last time they weren’t top dogs for 2 years in a row around here- Something highly likely to happen this year.
Also, they don’t like us singing about being pride of the midlands. Sorry but we are now. Yes, you may be the bigger club and we all know about Peter Withe in off the post in 82 and all that stuff. Yes, you have more fans and more recent silverware, but we are currently a better club.
We are better run, with a better squad of players and better prospects. How many Villa players would get in the starting 11 at Albion? Is Benteke, their best player, any better than Lukaku, our 3rd choice striker.
At the minute Villa are pooh, and all the gloryhunter element who laughed at our demise and belittled us might just be seeing what goes around comes around.
They might also learn a little bit about other footbal clubs. Of local fans I have found their fans generally the least knowledgeable about the game- it comes of an attitude of arrogance borne of them previosly seeming relegation proof.
It’s a long time since Villa had a period in the darkness. Now might well be the time, and if it is you won’t see any tears at the Hawthorns, Molineux or St Andrews. You might find a little bit of humbling might just make Villa a nicer club. Their time will come again, but let’s hope not for a good while and in the meantime we will enjoy being Pride of the Midlands.
v

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2197 on: January 04, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »
It’s clear that animosity is growing between us and Villa. Our mentions on their messageboards say it all. Great say I. This is a natural part of rivalry with both sets of clubs coming out with wild inaccurate generalisations about their local enemies.
For what’s it worth I don’t particularly hate Villa, but there is no team I enjoy beating more. I have quite a few mates who follow Villa and went to a school in Edgbaston,(Bearwood side) where it was almost a half and half split.
That was back in the 70s and early 80s and it is true to say around there no Villa fans gave a monkey’s about Blues or Albion fans about Wolves.
In those days whilst we had a great side we only got the better of Villa on a handful of occasions.
In those seasons to the mid 80s there was a cracking rivalry with the 4 big West Mids clubs all up there and Cov as well in the mix.
What happened in the mid 80s then handed all the cards to Villa. Still fresh from recent title and European wins their two closest geographical rival disappeared at the same time into the wilderness where they stayed for a generation. This hadn’t happened before and with success breeding success all wavering fansand football luvvies enticed by the new game called the Premier League headed to Seal Park to see Villa at the top table.
Whilst at this time we and Blues were sliding to the 3rd tier, in front of 10,000 crowds losing to the likes of Woking and Kidderminster, and generally scrambling around for existence all through the 90s.
In that 86-02 period, when us and Blues re appeared Villa came close to winning the title twice more, had a couple of League Cup wins and lost a cup final.
Albion shirts disappeared altogether from Bearwood in that period. I’d say the same was happening in the likes of Stechford with Blues shirts.
By now the gulf between the clubs were a chasm. I saw us lose 4 0 in the cup to them in 98 with them mocking us as minnows – the media were saying the same. It was a sad day for all of those who historically remembered us as the club we were, and the more decent wiser Villa fans I spoke to were saying that too.
Since our re-emergence in 02 we have been a yoyo club hardly troubling Villa’s dominance as top dogs until the last couple of years.
Last year was only the 3rd or 4th time in almost 40 years Villa haven’t been top W Mids dogs. Wolves did it in 80, Blues a few years ago and us in 79, of course.
Villa had one relegation near the end of the 80s, but they bounced back straight away. No 16 years in the darkness for them so their dynasty continued.
Now, through the tides of life we thankfully have a decent side again, back to the type of club we historically have been, which only Villa fans over 40 will know. Meanwhile Villa are a club in crisis.
They have had half a lifetime of the comfort zone. The last real slump period they had was in the late 60s to 75, a eight year period, which no one under 55 will remember.
Well, maybe it is now their time to suffer. God knows we have. Maybe 8 0 at Chelsea is a sign of things to come. Well, if it is I won’t pity them anymore than they pitied us.
I will see it as an opportunity to make up the ground lost in the wilderness years and give a more equal footing.
It seems some of them say they don’t give a pooh. Well they do. They are not top dogs anymore and you have to look back to the early 70s in their wilderness years to find the last time they weren’t top dogs for 2 years in a row around here- Something highly likely to happen this year.
Also, they don’t like us singing about being pride of the midlands. Sorry but we are now. Yes, you may be the bigger club and we all know about Peter Withe in off the post in 82 and all that stuff. Yes, you have more fans and more recent silverware, but we are currently a better club.
We are better run, with a better squad of players and better prospects. How many Villa players would get in the starting 11 at Albion? Is Benteke, their best player, any better than Lukaku, our 3rd choice striker.
At the minute Villa are pooh, and all the gloryhunter element who laughed at our demise and belittled us might just be seeing what goes around comes around.
They might also learn a little bit about other footbal clubs. Of local fans I have found their fans generally the least knowledgeable about the game- it comes of an attitude of arrogance borne of them previosly seeming relegation proof.
It’s a long time since Villa had a period in the darkness. Now might well be the time, and if it is you won’t see any tears at the Hawthorns, Molineux or St Andrews. You might find a little bit of humbling might just make Villa a nicer club. Their time will come again, but let’s hope not for a good while and in the meantime we will enjoy being Pride of the Midlands.
v

Good post mate, enjoyed reading that.

silver surfer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2198 on: January 04, 2013, 09:13:06 PM »
v
Excellent mate.

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2199 on: January 04, 2013, 09:21:36 PM »
Where are those Villa fans who populated the forum at the start of the season?

No doubts they will be back out if they get a result against us...