Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2250119 times)

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #2100 on: December 27, 2012, 09:02:14 AM »
I'd 8 to be a Villa fan thats 4 sure!  ;)
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2101 on: December 27, 2012, 09:31:27 AM »
Really confuses me whats happened to them the last few years, gone from challenging top 8 every year to a very weak team.

Looking at their 11 yesterday and I wouldnt have any of their starting players, the only one with abit of quality is Benteke.

Think Lamberts got it all wrong there, and not playing Nzogbia, Agbonlahor, Warnock, Bent is going to cost him.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2102 on: December 27, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »
I think Lambert is trying to change the whole team to quickly, he has dropped players like Given,N Zogbia,Ireland,Bent, these players have experience of getting out of trouble. Instead he is asking lower league players a to make the step up and to get them out of trouble. Unless they buy some proven Premier League quality then I can see them getting relegated . And if Villa went down It will take them a few years to come back up.

Three of the four players you mention are arguably the ones you wouldn't in the side, purely because they can be quite lazy and bring very little to the plate. Is Bent a better all round player than Benteke? He might score more goals but Benteke offers them much more. N'Zogbia is a luxary and isn't going to do the defensive side of the game particularly well. I don't think Given has made much difference had he started due to Guzan's very good form. Again, Stephen Ireland is another luxary and not somebody I'd turn to in the heat of battle.

Lambert is creating something where he needs all the players pulling in the same direction with the hunger and desire to stay in this division. I don't think he'd get that from Bent, N'Zogbia or Stephen Ireland because not only are they not that type of the player, they could probably get a contract elsewhere if Villa were to go down whereas the others within their squad are just starting their careers and therefore have the willingness to run through brick walls for their gaffer.

I do agree though, in January, signing some experienced Premier League players will be important, even more so when you consider they've had some heavy defeats recently and I doubt their young squad have experienced such beatings before. The problem isn't neccesarily losing the games, it's how easy they've lost them.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2103 on: December 27, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
Well if we take on board how easily Villa are losing games, what does that say about the Mighty Liverpool as Villa beat them easily at Anfield only 2 games ago. ??
He's a lad from the Wrenna

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2104 on: December 28, 2012, 01:31:47 AM »
Three of the four players you mention are arguably the ones you wouldn't in the side, purely because they can be quite lazy and bring very little to the plate. Is Bent a better all round player than Benteke? He might score more goals but Benteke offers them much more. N'Zogbia is a luxary and isn't going to do the defensive side of the game particularly well. I don't think Given has made much difference had he started due to Guzan's very good form. Again, Stephen Ireland is another luxary and not somebody I'd turn to in the heat of battle.

Lambert is creating something where he needs all the players pulling in the same direction with the hunger and desire to stay in this division. I don't think he'd get that from Bent, N'Zogbia or Stephen Ireland because not only are they not that type of the player, they could probably get a contract elsewhere if Villa were to go down whereas the others within their squad are just starting their careers and therefore have the willingness to run through brick walls for their gaffer.

I do agree though, in January, signing some experienced Premier League players will be important, even more so when you consider they've had some heavy defeats recently and I doubt their young squad have experienced such beatings before. The problem isn't neccesarily losing the games, it's how easy they've lost them.

Thing is the PL experience in their squad are technically their best players - Ireland, Bent, N'Zogbia etc. Lambert thrives on getting average players to over perform, I think its incredibly naive to leave out these players and is an obvious floor in his ability as a manager.

NethertonBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2105 on: December 28, 2012, 02:34:32 AM »
Realistically who would they get in January, with the experience to bolster such an appalling team? The only reason there where they are is because the teams below them are marginally s****** then they are!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:12:25 PM by Baggies »

j2burnz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2106 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:16 AM »
Realistically who would they get in January, with the experience to bolster such an appalling team? The only reason there where they are is because the teams below them are marginally s****** then they are!

I am no Villa loyalist , however, I do find this comment a bit harsh, they're a young developing side who until they bumped into a rejuvenated Chelsea at Stamford Bridge ( who smashed us to pieces not so long ago in a season we stayed up comfortably )had been playing some decent football and as for the Spurs game, well,  on their day, they have gone to Old Trafford and won this season and will trash many more sides this season.

Paul Lambert is slowly building for the future and knows what he is doing, comments like the above could well come back to haunt us in the not too distant future.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:13:15 PM by Baggies »

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2107 on: December 28, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
Heard someone say the fans will start turning if they dont beat Wigan tomorrow.Come on Wigan
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2108 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »
I am no Villa loyalist , however, I do find this comment a bit harsh, they're a young developing side who until they bumped into a rejuvenated Chelsea at Stamford Bridge ( who smashed us to pieces not so long ago in a season we stayed up comfortably )had been playing some decent football and as for the Spurs game, well,  on their day, they have gone to Old Trafford and won this season and will trash many more sides this season.

Paul Lambert is slowly building for the future and knows what he is doing, comments like the above could well come back to haunt us in the not too distant future.
Slight difference of between our loss to Chelsea and theirs, was that ours was the very first PL game for our manager and a just promoted championship team. It's incredibly bad to suggest that what Lambert doesn't know what he's doing, but it's also bad to think the plans very good in the first place. It's a young team and with youth comes inexperience and inconsistency while at the same time he's got some good players with plenty of experience of the PL and in reality he is falling incredibly (almost embarrassingly) short of where that club should be aiming. You could say this is a year of transition..... well this was supposed to be our year of transition and we are media darlings at the moment. Chelsea are supposed to be in a year of transition and are being tipped to compete for the title.

Fact of the matter is this season has become about damage limitation and it's not exactly working at the moment. Lambert won't have that time to work if they slip from this league which if they lose to Wigan could begin to become a possibility.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2109 on: December 28, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »
Apparently a striker (Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang) is preparing to reject Fiorentina in case Villa come calling next month.... I'm sorry but in a competition between Florence in the beautiful and sunny region of Tuscany and the West Midlands, I'd start learning Italian. Not a huge difference between them in terms of money either surely and Serie A is a good league too.

It's not even that he's received an offer, he's flat out refused in the off chance that Villa want him, which isn't even guaranteed.

j2burnz

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2110 on: December 28, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
Slight difference of between our loss to Chelsea and theirs, was that ours was the very first PL game for our manager and a just promoted championship team. It's incredibly bad to suggest that what Lambert doesn't know what he's doing, but it's also bad to think the plans very good in the first place. It's a young team and with youth comes inexperience and inconsistency while at the same time he's got some good players with plenty of experience of the PL and in reality he is falling incredibly (almost embarrassingly) short of where that club should be aiming. You could say this is a year of transition..... well this was supposed to be our year of transition and we are media darlings at the moment. Chelsea are supposed to be in a year of transition and are being tipped to compete for the title.

Fact of the matter is this season has become about damage limitation and it's not exactly working at the moment. Lambert won't have that time to work if they slip from this league which if they lose to Wigan could begin to become a possibility.

You make some valid points however I don't believe we were ever a team in transition as we only made subtle changes to our squad, we simply took a punt on an unproven head coach/manager but no I don't believe were in transition. As for our brilliant season so far this I'm honestly not surprised by it too much, I genuinely believe we are in the top 6/7 teams in the country and our quality of player and performance warrant our spot.

Villa have made massive wholesale changes to their squad whilst also appointing a new manager so as you point out are definitely in a period of transition.

After a pretty horrible start they have slowly but surely got better which peaked at Liverpool when they swept away an admittedly poor Liverpool side. They have been bashed up by the European champions and a top 4 side who have the best player in the premier league on his day.

My feeling is they will definitely compete with the sides around them and take sufficient points to stay up quite comfortably and next season Lambert will be given some decent cash, from the inevitable sales Bent and 1 or 2 others, when they will kick on and challenge us for the top midlands side.

Hope you're right and I'm wrong but I severely doubt it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:58:07 AM by j2burnz »

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2111 on: December 28, 2012, 09:54:22 AM »
I think tomorows game against Wigan will give a good indication of the Villa team.

Its technically a MUST win game for Villa, if they lose tomorow they could be in deep trouble.

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2112 on: December 28, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
I think tomorows game against Wigan will give a good indication of the Villa team.

Its technically a MUST win game for Villa, if they lose tomorow they could be in deep trouble.
Come on Wigan stuff them scumbags
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2113 on: December 28, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
I think tomorrows game against Wig an will give a good indication of the Villa team.

Its technically a MUST win game for Villa, if they lose tomorrow they could be in deep trouble.

Wig an haven't won in six so they are due a win. Intresting to see what the crowd will be tomorrow too.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2114 on: December 28, 2012, 01:46:08 PM »
Thing is the PL experience in their squad are technically their best players - Ireland, Bent, N'Zogbia etc. Lambert thrives on getting average players to over perform, I think its incredibly naive to leave out these players and is an obvious floor in his ability as a manager.

That will be a problem he faces if he moves up to a bigger club than Villa - Can he get technically better players to fit into his philosophy? Time will tell on that question but he was quite successful at Norwich with the way he went about his business and I don't blame him for trying to replicate that success at Villa - I would also assume that Ireland, Bent and N'Zogbia could be going out the club if not next month then certainly at the end of the season. Not only will they not fit the Lambert philosophy but I would assume they're the clubs highest earners and the club would rather have them off the books.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

liam-zuiverloon

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2115 on: December 28, 2012, 02:33:48 PM »
Tomorrow's game against wigan is no doubt the biggest game of the season for these two, a wigan win would send them above villa. If i was a villa fan i don't think id be able to sleep tonight! To lose would simply be a disaster
Some people's spelling is hylaryous.

NethertonBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2116 on: December 28, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »

The comment may be harsh, but it is a fair assesment of there season so far! The January transfer window effectivley shakes things up for the last half of the season, those teams that make good use of the window especially those in and around the relegation zone stand a far better chance of surviving the drop, and how a team does over the christmas period directly affects there ability to attract the right kind of player!  I dont think Villa can offer anything to an experianced PL player that those teams around them can't!

Im not sure if they will be in for the drop? But if the roles were reversed and they were only a few short years ago, I would be worried about what happens should the Wigan game go pear shaped. Even the most stuanchest of Lamberts supporters would have to ask serious questions about the clubs future!

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2117 on: December 29, 2012, 05:04:15 PM »
I can see what's going to happen.

Lambert will either walk or get sacked in a few weeks.

Di matteo will come in save them, beat us and win the cup with them!

Jammy gits they are, I can see all the above happening!

Quakes Fan

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2118 on: December 29, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
I can see what's going to happen.

Lambert will either walk or get sacked in a few weeks.

Di matteo will come in save them, beat us and win the cup with them!

Jammy gits they are, I can see all the above happening!

And LA Galaxy will loan them Robbie Keane so he can score a hat trick in the final just to keep tormenting me.

NethertonBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2119 on: December 29, 2012, 05:18:37 PM »
Its not just the manager though, its the entire set up of the club! They over extended themselves under MON going for Europe, gave MON way to much freedom in player selection, had to offload players he had bought in at a loss after he had gone because of the crippling wage bills, An owner and board that have no idea what there doing!

If learner spends a fraction of what there fans think he should spend in Jan, I will be suprised! There's just no feesible sense in throwing good money after bad, My moneys on him spending the bare minimum say 7-10 million and hoping they hang in there to reap the new TV money next year and then sell up?

But as I said this is years worth of drama in the making finally coming back to haunt them! 

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2120 on: December 29, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »
Let's assume for a second that learner spends some money jan.

Which players would they be able to get that would want to go there?

I don't know. They always seem to get out of it. I still can't see them going down.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2121 on: December 29, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »
They're in a tail spin, free fall, dead men walking. Call it what you like, we've been there, you know what a big ask it is for them to turn this round from here.

Aston Villa, the gift that just keeps on giving.

Yuk, yuk, yuk.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

NethertonBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2122 on: December 29, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
They may well survive the drop? But there like a plane nose diving to earth, all its engines on fire, tail been ripped off, passangers screaming, while the pilot frantically thumbs through a book titled "How to fly, for dummie's"

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2123 on: December 29, 2012, 06:14:08 PM »

Someone asked me earlier "What time do Aston Villa kick off?"

My reply: "Oh, every 15 minutes or so."

;D
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2124 on: December 29, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
Someone asked me earlier "What time do Aston Villa kick off?"

My reply: "Oh, every 15 minutes or so."

;D

love it :D