Author Topic: Seals watch - Anything Villa  (Read 2249972 times)

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Seals watch - Anything Villa
« Reply #1900 on: November 15, 2012, 02:20:35 PM »
We do see it from both sides McSkittle thats the thing your failing to see.
Why is the pride of the midlands thing malarkey wrong......your failing to see. It has nothing to do winning anything it is simply an expression of one of the fundamentals of football supporting.....that is you have to enjoy the moment when your on top because you know in football that it wont last and the greyer skies are ahead. Are you saying The Villa fans havn't glorified in their successes and historical dominance in the region......... forgive me its not hard to see a certain hypocrisy in your words.
Im sure your not a plastic fan but its not hard to see what the poster is alluding to. You only have to listen to the trail of moaning Villa fans who frequent the various radio stations passing on the benefits of their "wisdom" to know that most of them probably havn't been down to Villa Pk since Ron Saunders was in the hot seat. The same could not be said of WBA supporters because the expectation is lower and the support tighter knit. So when you talk about us wanting it both ways Im not so sure. I think we have always essentially been this way.
Just my view but Villa Pk would be a better place to go if the club adjusted its goals to match what the club is today, a middle of the road PL club with a decent history and not a sleeping giant about to return because it just invites the sort of negative media press it gets.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1901 on: November 15, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
McSkittle I  may be mistaken but is your post count stuck on 26?

As i said today's Premiership generation are not interested in what went before.
They know vila as a Premiership team because you've always been there but one that just makes up the numbers.
Correct me if i'm wrong i believe your 8th in the All time Premier League Table which we would be proud of but puts you in the middle section of the League not good enough to challenge the big teams but well clear of the bottom.
You see Utd,Chelsea,Arsenal,Liverpool and now Man City are the big clubs surely you can see that?.

You called my previous post a "trite comment".
It was of cause referring to vilers banging on about their List of Honours most of which happened under the reign of Queen Vic over 100yrs ago trite indeed.

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #1902 on: November 15, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »
Villa fans are falling into the same trap as we did under Tony Mowbray by playing well but losing,
that only leads one way and its called relegation. Dont worry though Villa fans as you can always
go and drown you sorrows in the local pub and think back to the good old days of Paul McGrath and
Peter Withe lol!!!!!!!

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1903 on: November 15, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
There are a lot of posts to address, so I wont do it individually.

Hypocritical how?

You must be able to see it from both sides surely?

I freely admit that you have a better side now. I think it’s based on two players in the midfield that I really like in Morrison and Mulumbu. The fact they weren’t fancied and cost very little is a credit. I think you get extra enjoyment out of a player when you know you have snuck a bargain.

However, all this pride of the Midlands malarkey. Come on. You’ve won nothing. You’ve beat us once in 30 years at Villa Park, once at the Hawthorns in 30 years and finished above us once in 30 years. And in 10th place too. It’s a bit like having an open top bus parade down West Brom high street for finishing third behind Stoke and Bolton in the 3rd division.

Ribbing aside, I personally think the derby will become bigger for both clubs from now on. While I don’t think it will get so far as Villa fans singing SOTB anytime soon, I also don’t think we will play SHA again for a generation and we’ve never cared about the Wolves.

As for plastic fans, why am I a plastic fan? I’ve seen my side relegated. I don’t wear it as a badge of honour though, as it was horrendous and thankfully playing with the dead men was short lived. I follow my club everywhere; always have done and always will. If you do the same, then good for you. I don’t know why a club with inferior support can really be in a position to pass comment. Your crowds have increased since you were promoted haven’t they? So what. People pick and choose and they always have done, even pre-Sky. There will be a core of support at every club though that will always turn up. This is hardly insightful stuff is it?

It’s quite amusing how you like to have it both ways. Invalid criticisms are made, easily dismissed and then some trite nonsense about whimsically looking back at the good old days is made. Perverse.

From the outset McSkittle I must say respect is due to you for coming on the forum & fighting your corner so gallantly, you are probably a life long villa fan who has every right to defend his team & as rubyruby said we know the villa have plenty of loyal fans................... :D

As for this post, I did chuckle when you started by saying there were lots of posts to address (3) so you wouldn't do them individually & then you went on to address them.

Regarding the hypocrisy point, you criticised posters (possibly me! not sure  :-\ ) for 'dull cliches' & yet you've used cliches in earlier posts.

villa fans = Plastic Fans was a generalisation & not aimed at you at all  :P

Do keep posting as you do offer good banter but you do still personify what most West Brom fans (amongst others) think of the average villa fan------IN NEED OF A REALITY CHECK!!!!!! 
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #1904 on: November 15, 2012, 05:06:28 PM »
Ruby, yes Villa fans will enjoy the good times when there is some glory to be had. Its horses for courses I guess. For me 10th isn't success.

I also think its a bit off to generalise fans on the basis of a few idiots you over hear. There are plenty of eejits who wind me up in the Upper Holte, who ring in talk shows and talk total nonsense. You get them at work and in pubs.

I am sure there are plenty who talk nonsense who sit by you at the Albion; as I hear plenty enough in other mediums. There are morons in all walks of life. Some of them sort the same team as me and you. You just have to lump it.

Apart from SHA. Knuckle-dragging, monobrows to a man.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:09:58 PM by McSkittle »

DownInAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1905 on: November 15, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »
How long till the pressure starts piling on Lambert to deliver results?

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #1906 on: November 15, 2012, 05:11:32 PM »
KYA, yes I think it is stuck.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1907 on: November 15, 2012, 05:21:15 PM »
KYA, yes I think it is stuck.

Typical viler you've broke it!!.
I agree with the other Baggie fair play for fighting your corner i've done the same on a vile site and managed to not get banned!.
How so you may ask well a lot more gets by on there and some of the abuse is pretty bad although it is supposed to be monited.
You mentioned glory is'nt finishing 10th .
It may not be but i would't hold your breath waiting for the glory days to return.
Is winning the Lge Cup like Blues qualify, curious like.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1908 on: November 15, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »
McSkittle I  may be mistaken but is your post count stuck on 26?

As i said today's Premiership generation are not interested in what went before.
They know vila as a Premiership team because you've always been there but one that just makes up the numbers.
Correct me if i'm wrong i believe your 8th in the All time Premier League Table which we would be proud of but puts you in the middle section of the League not good enough to challenge the big teams but well clear of the bottom.
You see Utd,Chelsea,Arsenal,Liverpool and now Man City are the big clubs surely you can see that?.

You called my previous post a "trite comment".
It was of cause referring to vilers banging on about their List of Honours most of which happened under the reign of Queen Vic over 100yrs ago trite indeed.

Posts in the General Sports Forum do not count towards totals. Same with the Woodman and the Chants boards.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1909 on: November 15, 2012, 05:58:16 PM »
You don't think 10th is a success but you'd be more then happy to finish there this season, especially as 18th, 19th or 20th (one of your possible finishes) will definitely be viewed as a 'failure'.   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1910 on: November 15, 2012, 06:03:57 PM »
Posts in the General Sports Forum do not count towards totals. Same with the Woodman and the Chants boards.

Thanks mate never knew that i thought it odd.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #1911 on: November 15, 2012, 06:38:20 PM »
Winning a trophy is success yes. Winning your first in half a century (and technically their first major trophy) and being relegated is hilarious.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1912 on: November 16, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »
As a Villa fan McSkittle how do feel about Bentekes alleged comments professing his love of Arsenal and that he sees Villa as simply a stepping stone? What does it say about how Villa are now viewed from the outside? Do you think Benteke as an employee of AVFC should be making statements publically like this? Are AVFC doing enough to acquire the right type of employees.

Despite the denials hard to think there isnt a little smoke without fire.

If it were me I would be non too impressed with him to be honest.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4647131/Christian-Benteke-dreams-of-playing-for-Arsenal.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 11:56:29 AM by rubyruby »

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1913 on: November 16, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »
As a Villa fan McSkittle how do feel about Bentekes alleged comments professing his love of Arsenal and that he sees Villa as simply a stepping stone? What does it say about how Villa are now viewed from the outside? Do you think Benteke as an employee of AVFC should be making statements publically like this? Are AVFC doing enough to acquire the right type of employees.

Despite the denials hard to think there isnt a little smoke without fire.

If it were me I would be non too impressed with him to be honest.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4647131/Christian-Benteke-dreams-of-playing-for-Arsenal.html

Oh dear thats not good news is it !!,he as been at vile 4mths and already putting the feelers out.
Just the sort of player Arsenal need as well it could be a quick profit for Lerner.
its not all bad news Robbie Keane could come back!.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #1914 on: November 16, 2012, 01:40:39 PM »
“I am not afraid of making enemies at Aston Villa by saying I love Arsenal. There are worse things one can say,” said Benteke, 21, who thought Villa were a London club when he signed for them.

“I am a Villa player for now. They are the right club at the right time for me. I have fulfilled a dream by playing in the Premier League. Now it is about staying as long as possible.

“Villa are the beginning of my career in England. I have not just joined any club – although I didn’t know their full history, I knew they’d played in the Champions League and won plenty of titles and cups.

“At the time I signed I didn’t know where they played. I thought they were a London club. But my friend Yassine El Ghanassy, who plays for West Brom, rang me to say he was glad I was moving to Birmingham and near to him.”

Villa manager Paul Lambert predicts Congo-born Benteke will become a formidable player. But it might not be with Villa.

“Arsenal are the club I love,” said Benteke. “I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they had Thierry Henry in their team.

“For me, he is the best player in the world and he was my boyhood idol.”

I don't care who he supports to be honest. I ams ure he'd fit in quite nicely at Arsenal by talking about other clubs!

In all seriousnes, I don't think he should be saying things like this, but whether they talk or not, we all know all players are thinking it.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1915 on: November 16, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »
“I am not afraid of making enemies at Aston Villa by saying I love Arsenal. There are worse things one can say,” said Benteke, 21, who thought Villa were a London club when he signed for them.

“I am a Villa player for now. They are the right club at the right time for me. I have fulfilled a dream by playing in the Premier League. Now it is about staying as long as possible.

“Villa are the beginning of my career in England. I have not just joined any club – although I didn’t know their full history, I knew they’d played in the Champions League and won plenty of titles and cups.

“At the time I signed I didn’t know where they played. I thought they were a London club. But my friend Yassine El Ghanassy, who plays for West Brom, rang me to say he was glad I was moving to Birmingham and near to him.”

Villa manager Paul Lambert predicts Congo-born Benteke will become a formidable player. But it might not be with Villa.

“Arsenal are the club I love,” said Benteke. “I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they had Thierry Henry in their team.

“For me, he is the best player in the world and he was my boyhood idol.”

I don't care who he supports to be honest. I ams ure he'd fit in quite nicely at Arsenal by talking about other clubs!

In all seriousnes, I don't think he should be saying things like this, but whether they talk or not, we all know all players are thinking it.

Well I completely agree with you on that but I hope Paul Lambert has had a little word in his ear or he risks spoiling the encouraging start he has made to his AVFC career

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1916 on: November 16, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »
Winning a trophy is success yes. Winning your first in half a century (and technically their first major trophy) and being relegated is hilarious.

If you mean Blues then its technically their 2nd.  In 1963 they won the League Cup.

Funny how I know another Villa fan now in his 60s who has forgotted about that game too. 

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1917 on: November 16, 2012, 04:32:36 PM »

If you mean Blues then its technically their 2nd.  In 1963 they won the League Cup.

Funny how I know another Villa fan now in his 60s who has forgotted about that game too.

Tbf it wasnt recognised as a major trophy until about the year after. I dont think all teams actually participated in the cup when Blues won it.

If Im honest I dont see a lot wrong with what McSkittle has written on the forum  8)

BrummieBaggie68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1918 on: November 16, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »
Benteke is hilarious. It probably isn't, but if it were actually true that it wasn't till after he signed for villa that he realised they're not a London club, then the man must be in the running for the 'stupidest footballer ever' trophy. Which is saying something.

And not for not knowing in the first place. Why should anybody care where Aston Villa play, after all? No, that's perfectly fair enough. But not checking where a place is before you move there is ridiculous.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1919 on: November 16, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »
There are a lot of posts to address, so I wont do it individually.

Hypocritical how?

You must be able to see it from both sides surely?

I freely admit that you have a better side now. I think it’s based on two players in the midfield that I really like in Morrison and Mulumbu. The fact they weren’t fancied and cost very little is a credit. I think you get extra enjoyment out of a player when you know you have snuck a bargain.

However, all this pride of the Midlands malarkey. Come on. You’ve won nothing. You’ve beat us once in 30 years at Villa Park, once at the Hawthorns in 30 years and finished above us once in 30 years. And in 10th place too. It’s a bit like having an open top bus parade down West Brom high street for finishing third behind Stoke and Bolton in the 3rd division.

Ribbing aside, I personally think the derby will become bigger for both clubs from now on. While I don’t think it will get so far as Villa fans singing SOTB anytime soon, I also don’t think we will play SHA again for a generation and we’ve never cared about the Wolves.

As for plastic fans, why am I a plastic fan? I’ve seen my side relegated. I don’t wear it as a badge of honour though, as it was horrendous and thankfully playing with the dead men was short lived. I follow my club everywhere; always have done and always will. If you do the same, then good for you. I don’t know why a club with inferior support can really be in a position to pass comment. Your crowds have increased since you were promoted haven’t they? So what. People pick and choose and they always have done, even pre-Sky. There will be a core of support at every club though that will always turn up. This is hardly insightful stuff is it?

It’s quite amusing how you like to have it both ways. Invalid criticisms are made, easily dismissed and then some trite nonsense about whimsically looking back at the good old days is made. Perverse.
fair points all round there. dont have many qualms with villa tbh. obviously now we are the only central 2 midlands sides in this division, the rivalry will heat up. we are both fairly similar really and neither of us are immune from the drop. i do think we seem to have this issue with villa which isnt reciprocated. the amount of meh sort of comments pre derby were there for all to see. they dont tend to rub it in our faces why should we? for me the wolves games are always bigger despite their geographical proximity being further. they hate us, i dont like them. villa on the other hand have and always will have birmingham as their rivals.

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1920 on: November 16, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »
fair points all round there. dont have many qualms with villa tbh. obviously now we are the only central 2 midlands sides in this division, the rivalry will heat up. we are both fairly similar really and neither of us are immune from the drop. i do think we seem to have this issue with villa which isnt reciprocated. the amount of meh sort of comments pre derby were there for all to see. they dont tend to rub it in our faces why should we? for me the wolves games are always bigger despite their geographical proximity being further. they hate us, i dont like them. villa on the other hand have and always will have birmingham as their rivals.

its easy really it depends where you live /grew up,from your reply it would appear you grew up near the Wolves.
For those of us from Smethwick and around Birmingham we have one rival.
Don't rub it in our faces on the contrary vilers are the most arrogant fans in the country and a spell in the championship might give them a bit of humility.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1921 on: November 16, 2012, 07:56:19 PM »

Ever worked with villa fans ? gone to school with them ? had them as relations ?

They play on this 'don't care about the Baggies' stuff but they do but due to their smug, superior, gloating attitudes they keep it under wraps and then they'll just come from nowhere with their snidey, sarcy little billy big balls comments. Until the late 80's when Bull went to the wolves that game was nothing special unless you lived around them, since then the media have built it up and we spent a few seasons away from villa so for some their is no rivalry. Its there, always has been and always will even back to the late 1800's.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

the rainbow turn east

« Reply #1922 on: November 16, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
This kid always use to walk past my house a his Villa top on with this big cheesy smug grin on his face
but ever since they`ve become rubbish he doesnt bother anymore. This proves to me that most of them
lot are a load of plastic fans. Even when Albion were pod I always walked round with my baggies top on.

NethertonBaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1923 on: November 16, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
The in-laws are vile fans, most stuck up, arrogant, detestable, people I have had the misfortune of meeting. In fact I have never come across a decent villa fan before, ive got mates who are wolves fans and yeah we have a joke or two and a bit of banter when the derby used to come about! But I just cant tolerate a villa fan.

McSkittle

• Newcomer

« Reply #1924 on: November 16, 2012, 10:49:40 PM »
Kris, hence why I put technically their first. They beat us over two legs in the 60's and not every side entered it.

I dont think there is the level of angst amongst Villa towards the Albion. Certainly not over the past thirty years. If you listen to the Villa song book tomorrow, then there will be five or six songs that will be aired about Small Heath. I can think of two about the Albion that I have only ever heard at derby games. I don't think there will ever be the same level of hatred and violence bismirch our derby compared with The Birmingham Derby.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:51:20 PM by McSkittle »