Author Topic: Dwight Gayle (at Newcastle)  (Read 236826 times)

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

Re: Dwight Gayle (on loan swap from Newcastle)
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
His movement is superb as well, not just his touch and finishing in the box. He understands how to hurt teams, when to run, when to stand still and links great with runners. Superb signing, we would have been mid-table if he's played for us last season.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2018, 06:35:58 PM »
Can we arrange a permanent swap please before Newcastle realise how we have stitched them up. If we do get promoted I really can’t see how losing Gayle and having Rondon back helps us.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2018, 07:41:27 PM »
idiots from clayhead land saying why he sign for them when we could have had him. idiots. they had no pawn for starters

go up we keep him simples.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:54:31 PM by MarkW »
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2018, 08:46:17 PM »
idiots from clayhead land saying why he sign for them when we could have had him. idiots. they had no pawn for starters

go up we keep him simples.
[/b]

Don't think it is.
It was reported a few weeks ago that an offer of £200k/week was on offer for him in China
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2018, 09:13:00 PM »
[/b]

Don't think it is.
It was reported a few weeks ago that an offer of £200k/week was on offer for him in China
by whom?

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
I think we have to resign ourselves to the fact, that he won't be here after January.
The same for Barnes.
Because of our lack of foresight and being a Scrooge company, we shall unfortunately plummet.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2018, 09:39:13 PM »
I think we have to resign ourselves to the fact, that he won't be here after January.
The same for Barnes.
Because of our lack of foresight and being a Scrooge company, we shall unfortunately plummet.

I take it this is tongue in cheek. Anyway, Gayle stays because he’s part of a season swap so not the same as Barnes.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:14:04 PM by frazzle »

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »
The same for Barnes.

Gayle is with us until May irrespective, that said he's a completely different (ineffective) player in the top division.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2018, 10:25:18 PM »

Gayle is with us until May irrespective, that said he's a completely different (ineffective) player in the top division.

But we may have to keep him as a best option for the tricky first season back, but then, I'm getting ahead of myself.
Baggie in Southampton

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2018, 11:19:57 PM »

Dont agree. He can score goals in the top flight.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
Dont agree. He can score goals in the top flight.

Yup, 5 his best in a season I believe?
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2018, 11:46:37 PM »
Great signing by the club. IF we are able to keep him and if we go up a season of goal scoring in the championship would do his confidence the world of good, so who knows what he would do in the prem. As for his previous goal scoring record, I personally would have to look at his injury record, time played, team style of play and his playing position before I could write him off. Whatever we are doing to get him scoring seems to be working. I do accept however our style when we get promoted will be more defensive.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »
I think it will cost us big to sign Gayle next season. It cost Fulham 22 million for Mitrovic who had a decent half season on loan to them, and he was a player we were looking to sign for just 11 million before then. Plus if Newcastle go down which I can see happening then they would be crazy to sell him. Unfortunately we’ve going to get Rondon back who will have had a poor season with a year left of has contract

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #189 on: September 30, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
There are a lot of its and buts with Gayle.
Is he happy with us,seems to be.
Is nufc a happy place,never is.
He's playing every week with us,not at nufc.
He's scoring goals with us and the fans love him.
Does he have a buyout clause?
He like any player wants to play in the premier league,why not with us if we get there.
What if nufc are relegated?
What if Newcastle change ownership and manager?
Does he want big wages?
Would he put in a transfer request?
What if a new nufc manager/owners want him to stay? Etc etc

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2018, 10:14:49 AM »

Yup, 5 his best in a season I believe?
Hardly played every game in the Premier for Newcastle. The goals are the same size whatever the division. Take the free kick he scored yesterday as an example of what he can do... in any division. Sign him up, he’s a big improvement on Rondon.

MICKYMEL

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2018, 10:38:51 AM »
Played for defensive managers in top flight and used so much as a sub and sometimes as lone striker.
In a team that has a go and as part of a front two he gets goals in top flight.
IF we go up we have to get him in. May take £18m but a goal scorer is worth it
Whenever we are playing badly, just remember -
Paul Chrichton,Neil Parsley, Andy Mcdermott, Scott Darton, Winston White,Mark Angel, Fabian DeFreitas, Paul Williams......now, do you feel better?

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2018, 11:25:17 AM »
Best striker we've had since Pete and Phillips. Would be in the bottom half of the league without him, not top. Thank god for Rafa Benitez.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #193 on: September 30, 2018, 11:35:31 AM »
Best striker we've had since Pete and Phillips. Would be in the bottom half of the league without him, not top. Thank god for Rafa Benitez.
I'm sure the league wouldn't want us to start each match with 10...
I reckon they would let us sign someone else
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »
There are a lot of its and buts with Gayle.
Is he happy with us,seems to be.
Is nufc a happy place,never is.
He's playing every week with us,not at nufc.
He's scoring goals with us and the fans love him.
Does he have a buyout clause?
He like any player wants to play in the premier league,why not with us if we get there.
What if nufc are relegated?
What if Newcastle change ownership and manager?
Does he want big wages?
Would he put in a transfer request?
What if a new nufc manager/owners want him to stay? Etc etc

Some answers contracted to 2021 at Newcastle wages thought to be £40k a week. At 28 next month that 3 years pretty much takes him into the twilight of his top level career.

Never played for a Premier League team whose lead striker was ever going to score 20 goals in a season and has generally played for managers whose prime concern is sitting deep and grinding points out. This does not play to his strengths but there is nothing to say that would be different should we be in the Premier League.

Despite rumours to the contrary the ownership issues at Newcastle in all probability won't be resolved anytime soon and even if they are Benitiz looks like a fixture so for the time being it is Benetiz's opinion that counts.

As it stands at the moment Rondon comes back to us at the end of the season and the hierarchy at Newcastle seem to have got that decision right and the easiest route to his signature (e.g. a straight swap) is off the table.

There are 2 stumbling blocks 1. Our promotion and 2. Rumours of £200k a week being on the table in China. If we don't achieve promotion completely and utterly a none runner. If the the offer from China is real then he would be mad not to take it. He hasn't that long left in the game and I have no idea what his plans are after leaving the game but that sort of money would feather his nest for the next few decades.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #195 on: September 30, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
7 goals in 23 apps inc 15 sub apps in 2013/14
5 goals in 25 apps inc 14 sub apps in 2014/15
3 goals in 16 apps inc 8 sub apps in 2015/16
6 goals in 35 apps inc 12 sub apps in 2017/18

So probably on a par with strikers we've had before with the odd exception. Cannot see us signing him after this season given the fee they will be asking and if the move to China is still on the cards but who knows
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »
It’s pointless speculating over signing him next summer at this stage. Not even into  October yet on our championship campaign. I’m just happy we’ve got a decent striker for once.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
Whoever masterminded the Gayle/ Rondon swap really got it absolutely right.  Gayle is so much more clinical and composed where it counts, in front of goal.  He has the instinct to be in the right place at the right time whereas Rondon always seemed to arrive a second too late. That Rondon says he wants to stay at Newcastle is fine by me, but the question is will he have got found out by the end of this season (if he hasn't already). 
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2018, 08:15:34 PM »
Whoever masterminded the Gayle/ Rondon swap really got it absolutely right.  Gayle is so much more clinical and composed where it counts, in front of goal.  He has the instinct to be in the right place at the right time whereas Rondon always seemed to arrive a second too late. That Rondon says he wants to stay at Newcastle is fine by me, but the question is will he have got found out by the end of this season (if he hasn't already).

Rondon won’t be saying that if Newcastle go down. The fact is that we have the better striker in Gayle, regardless of what league we are in. Rondon wouldn’t have won the penalties, he would have scored either of the goals against Stoke and I’ve never seen him score a free kick in a competitive game for us. They could work well together but to be honest I don’t think Rondon would work in this side.

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
Newcastle can keep Rondon as far as I'm concerned. Like the poster above says I don't think he would of worked in this system