Author Topic: Perspective  (Read 7838 times)

westbrom3wolves0

• Youth Baggie

Re: Perspective
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2020, 09:28:39 PM »
And if we dont have audiences we lose season ticket revenue which in the grand scheme of things isnt much but it helps.

Today showed our issues. We have awful strikers and a shocking keeper. Good goal scoring midfielders have papered over the cracks. Perfect storm today. They spoke about a 2 year project last summer so who knows. However we wont see krovonovic diangana and probably periera next year ... and we still have a lot of dead wood to shift...
That's the bottom line and reality here. Hard to admit, but we overachieved going into the break with a highly productive midfield papering over the cracks of our strikers. It's not sustainable or realistic to gain promotion when you don't have a single quality and consistently reliable striker. Even Huddersfield today, battling for relegation, their top striker has 18 goals (i think), 1 shy of Austin and HRK combined!!!
Oooooohhhh West Bromwich Albion! #SPRAY32

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »
Perspective is we’ve blown it and unless something unexpected happens
We will be in this division next season, but with less money and to many overheads
and a squad we’re basically stuck with ,and I only see us becoming another Birmingham city , with no way back , which as so many of our fans love this division will for them will be just dandy , but. for me being a supporter for over fifty years will be a major disappointment, I strive to see us were we belong in the top division even if we’re only there to make up the numbers we are West Brom we shouldn’t accept second best

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 09:52:34 PM »
Perspective is we’ve blown it and unless something unexpected happens
We will be in this division next season, but with less money and to many overheads
and a squad we’re basically stuck with ,and I only see us becoming another Birmingham city , with no way back , which as so many of our fans love this division will for them will be just dandy , but. for me being a supporter for over fifty years will be a major disappointment, I strive to see us were we belong in the top division even if we’re only there to make up the numbers we are West Brom we shouldn’t accept second best

Lovely post mate. I feel your pain at only 32 years in.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2020, 09:59:51 PM »
He should resign
He keeps picking Johnstone who absolutely puts the fear of God into our average back four
He picks a midfield duo who have no pace or creativity and also offer very little defensively
3 awful strikers ( why not give tulloch a run)
Basically if a. It of magic from Grady or Pereira doesn't win us the game we are really quite an average team with no plan b

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2020, 10:02:21 PM »
He should resign
He keeps picking Johnstone who absolutely puts the fear of God into our average back four
He picks a midfield duo who have no pace or creativity and also offer very little defensively
3 awful strikers ( why not give tulloch a run)
Basically if a. It of magic from Grady or Pereira doesn't win us the game we are really quite an average team with no plan b

I'd love to hear his candid thoughts on Johnstone and the strikers after he leaves the club.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2020, 10:39:17 PM »
I'd love to hear his candid thoughts on Johnstone and the strikers after he leaves the club.

Me too. Sadly I expect he’s too nice and too professional to give it. Whatever his short comings, he’s does genuinely seem a top bloke.

I’ve said it a few times now, but he’s a more eloquent DM.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2020, 10:40:19 PM »
People need to calm down.  If you were there through the mid80's and mid 90's it was worse. 

The achilles heel is the strike force.  With Robson-Kanu, the opposition are squeezing the Albion midfield 10 yards higher up the pitch.  Put yourself in Bartley/Hegazi/Ajayi's shoes, you know he's not going to score and if we concede we are in trouble, now that's pressure.

We can still win the play offs, the promotion dream is not over yet.  We must pick ourselves up.  We need to beat QPR convincingly to get the confidence back.  The reality is the 3rd place team deserve to go up anyway.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2020, 10:52:33 PM »
People need to calm down.  If you were there through the mid80's and mid 90's it was worse. 

The achilles heel is the strike force.  With Robson-Kanu, the opposition are squeezing the Albion midfield 10 yards higher up the pitch.  Put yourself in Bartley/Hegazi/Ajayi's shoes, you know he's not going to score and if we concede we are in trouble, now that's pressure.

We can still win the play offs, the promotion dream is not over yet.  We must pick ourselves up.  We need to beat QPR convincingly to get the confidence back.  The reality is the 3rd place team deserve to go up anyway.
Good post, though quite understand alot of the emotional reactions. 
If I was a manager of one of the other Play off teams, I would not look forward to taking on West Brom. Tonight we probably deserved a draw, and Huddersfiled's winner was the only chance I remember they had 2nd half. Over 2 matches I think we can beat Cardiff. The one team who worry me are Fulham, but last Tuesday we were to my mind the better team, and came close to doing it. 
But the players have got to pick themselves up from tonight 

Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2020, 10:55:09 PM »
If I was a manager of one of the other Play off teams, I would not look forward to taking on West Brom. Tonight we probably deserved a draw, and Huddersfiled's winner was the only chance I remember they had 2nd half. Over 2 matches I think we can beat Cardiff. The one team who worry me are Fulham, but last Tuesday we were to my mind the better team, and came close to doing it. 

Agreed and I agree with GREGMT. Good to know we have some fans on this forum that have a memory span past the last few seasons.

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2020, 10:58:25 PM »
Love your optimism & totally agree that the 3rd placed team should go up.
Even though I had the best day ever seeing our play off promotion from the old div 3, I have never been a fan of the play offs. Top 3 should be automatic promotion, end of debate.
Sadly however, it’s rarely the 3rd place team who make it through the play offs & I don’t feel very positive about our chances.

Aztech

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2020, 10:58:28 PM »

I disagree, most teams will be confident against us as our belief in winning games has disappeared
It is not the taking part, but the winning that counts.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2020, 11:00:38 PM »
Love your optimism & totally agree that the 3rd placed team should go up.
Even though I had the best day ever seeing our play off promotion from the old div 3, I have never been a fan of the play offs. Top 3 should be automatic promotion, end of debate.
Sadly however, it’s rarely the 3rd place team who make it through the play offs & I don’t feel very positive about our chances.

I believe this is not true and more often than not 3rd wins the play offs, I imagine we can buck the trend mind you.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2020, 11:05:07 PM »
I think what's hurting the most at the moment is looking towards the future.

Forest have had 20 years outside the top flight now, Derby have had 12 years, Ipswich 18 years, Preston 60 years, Bristol City 40 years and Blackburn 8 years.

Without parachute payments, there isn't much that separates us from these also ran clubs.

I could very easily be in my 50's the next time West Brom get to the top flight.

What a waste.
Boing Boing

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2020, 11:39:29 PM »
I am hurting, but we have to try and find a positive out of this (as hard as it is).

Moping and moaning won't change tonight's result.  You can't actually say Huddersfield deserved it, we merited 1 point at least.

Playing x2 per week has been a disadvantage for much of our squad.  How many do we have >30?  Austin, HRK, Livermore, Phillips, Gibbs, Grosicki, Brunt.  Bartley and Hegazi must be close to 30.  Maybe the rest before the play-offs will allow us to re-group?

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2020, 12:38:34 AM »
What more can he physically do with the guys he has to select his team from?

How many sitters have we saw ALL THREE of our strikers miss? especially in games that have ended in draws? That's not down to bilic because our stikers are ****
How many times as Johnstone WATCHED the ball roll past him? we can all scream to drop him but the guys replacing him are no better

Just those two factors have been massive problems all season, that's without mentioning the actual football he has bought back to the club after us all witnessing absolute dross through the Pulis period. We have a very fickle fan base I must admit.... one min he's getting called a genius because his subs have won us the game, next minute fans are calling for his head because we lose a game.

The board said it was a 2 year plan, only the deluded fans were expecting us to walk the league.... like you said yourself, too many people play football manager and don't understand reality.
The honest and quick answer to your question........not pick Johnstone....no other area of the team has been as week as him this year (last 2 seasons) .
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2020, 02:43:06 AM »
I am hurting, but we have to try and find a positive out of this (as hard as it is).

Moping and moaning won't change tonight's result.  You can't actually say Huddersfield deserved it, we merited 1 point at least.

Playing x2 per week has been a disadvantage for much of our squad.  How many do we have >30?  Austin, HRK, Livermore, Phillips, Gibbs, Grosicki, Brunt.  Bartley and Hegazi must be close to 30.  Maybe the rest before the play-offs will allow us to re-group?

I hate to rob you of your silver lining but the first leg of the play-off's is scheduled for the 26th July just 4 days after the last fixture.

Although I will give it you back in that the build up to the play-off game is quick the players don't stew and have an opportunity to rid themselves of the psychological baggage of the last few weeks.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2020, 02:57:07 AM »
I hate to rob you of your silver lining but the first leg of the play-off's is scheduled for the 26th July just 4 days after the last fixture.

Although I will give it you back in that the build up to the play-off game is quick the players don't stew and have an opportunity to rid themselves of the psychological baggage of the last few weeks.

What do you make of Bilic Stan? You post on the facts, but I'd love to hear your opinion on the last few weeks.

the other AJ

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2020, 08:07:12 AM »
Yesterday needs to be consigned to the bin and time to look forward. Wallowing in it is counterproductive and we still have 2 chances to go up;

1. Brentford f up (unlikely)
2. Play offs second chance at a 2 game mini World Cup

Until it’s over and despite our obvious shortcomings I will still believe we are good enough to get out of this division.

Positive vibes people...
Baggie Down Under 🙃

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2020, 09:28:39 AM »
A lot of people moaning that our team next season will be a disaster, would any of them have picked any of the Brentford players at the start of the season.
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2020, 09:29:39 AM »
A lot of people moaning that our team next season will be a disaster, would any of them have picked any of the Brentford players at the start of the season.
Yes Watkins for sure
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2020, 09:38:09 AM »
People need to calm down.  If you were there through the mid80's and mid 90's it was worse

Been there, done that and you are right Greg.

Good post, and actually it amazes me that we are where we are with out current 'strike force'. If we are to progress any further next season, regardless of the division, this is the area that must be addressed. If we had got this position right at the start, we would be on the cigars by now.........

Not out of it yet though.   
MAGA!

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2020, 09:44:31 AM »
What do you make of Bilic Stan? You post on the facts, but I'd love to hear your opinion on the last few weeks.

I have started writing the obituary for the season but I think I going to wait until it is officially declared dead before I post it.

It is easy to overlook how strange this mini 9 game season is and I think there some dynamics which any coach would have struggled to come to terms with. What I will specifically say about Bilic and I could equally say of Bielsa (who I congratulate on his promotion) is that he is a high variance coach. By what I mean their general approach to the game is risky and therefore outcomes are prone to fairly wild swings. When things go well they go very well and when they go bad they are very bad indeed.

Bielsa has a long career and he has cratered on many occasions, his sucess at Leeds is atypical if anything and Bilic gave West Ham their best season the Premier League but he also took them to the edge of relegation. It is seldom dull but things have a habit of blowing up. Bilic and Bielsa might have been the only coaches able to get their teams a 13 point lead but by the same token might have been the only ones to be capable of blowing a 13 point lead. 

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2020, 09:47:09 AM »
next season if still in Championship will have to cut our cloth accordingly with no investment forth coming from owner. Transfer funds will be limited so players need to be moved on to raise fees, will be stuck with alot of dead wood until contractors run down.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2020, 12:02:04 PM »
I have total faith in Slaven but very little in the balance of the team.

As many have said, on paper it's simple - two or three excellent strikers and a half decent keeper and we'd have romped to the title this year. THAT's what's wrong and somehow, no matter what division we are in next season, we have to find the funds to fix that.

It's a two year mission and let's face it we are already a million miles away from Pulisball. I hope Slav can keep building on what he's achieved this year and we get the right people in.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music