Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1756303 times)

spencer Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #1050 on: June 18, 2014, 12:29:20 PM »
15 minute presser.

"Quick, on and off before we get any difficult questions in front of the cameras."

Paper Q&As much easier to manipulate. 
Winning is the ability to go from one defeat to another with no loss of enthusiasm - Churchill.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1051 on: June 18, 2014, 12:35:22 PM »
15 minute presser.

"Quick, on and off before we get any difficult questions in front of the cameras."

Paper Q&As much easier to manipulate.

In all fairness the papers have to sell stories that aren't already in the public domain hence a private press section. They had chance to ask questions on air and in front of cameras and didn't take it really. Rest assured pressing questions will be asked but in the broadcast section I'd say he sounded confident and assured, unlike Burton.

What would have embarrassed them? Being asked why they picked him? It's pretty much what TB was asked and he said 'coaching ability'. I doubt they'll be embarrassed really. The press even tried to draw Irvine into commenting on not appearing to be first choice live and he handled it well.

wba_jd26

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1052 on: June 18, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »
I had an open mind to Irvine and am willing to wait and see what he achieves. But I must say he has come across very well so far. My main thought us that a 'head coach' role will suit him better than being a manager. With the staff behind the scenes working to recruit players he can focus on coaching, and I dont think anyone can argue on pedigree and from how people talk of him, that he is a very good coach.

I am starting to think that this could work. We have an important month ahead, lets see who we bring in. So far Gardner is an improvement on reid, and if lescott comes off, lescott is an improvement on Lugano. I would rather we improve the squad as a whole than spend big and pin our hopes on one player.

bry

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1053 on: June 18, 2014, 01:19:05 PM »
Good press conference, think Irvine will do a good job here.
Where can you see the press conference please?

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1054 on: June 18, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »
It's good to see us been able to begin to gain some understanding on why he was appointed (coaching and football related issues rather that financial motives).

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1055 on: June 18, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
It's good to see us been able to begin to gain some understanding on why he was appointed (coaching and football related issues rather that financial motives).
Well its obvious they wouldnt go on national TV and say, Yes we got Alan because he was the cheapest option  ??? ??? ???
He's a lad from the Wrenna

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1056 on: June 18, 2014, 01:32:51 PM »
Well its obvious they wouldnt go on national TV and say, Yes we got Alan because he was the cheapest option  ??? ??? ???

You including many others have been asking what qualifies him to get this job and they have given a few answers. How else do you expect to gain an understanding if it is not coming out of the club officially?

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1057 on: June 18, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »
Stunned at the press conferance ...... was that a media PR manager sitting at the table? Where has he been hiding the last year?
As for Alan Irvine ....... F off !!!
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

Blandy

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1058 on: June 18, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »
Just a small point but each of the last few 'managers' have been appointed as Head Coach, and each one has been  an 'outstanding' or 'highly respected' coach according to the club.

Is Irvine a better coach than Clarke? Than Hodgson? Than Mel? Who knows. I would have thought now his success or failure will be determined more by what he has to work with than anything else. This summer's (or what's left of it) recruitment will be paramount.

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1059 on: June 18, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
How else do you expect to gain an understanding if it is not coming out of the club officially?
I don't expect to gain an understanding, because they won't give genuine answers. They hardly ever do in such circumstances.

peacebewithu

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #1060 on: June 18, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »
I think people are getting misled by this 'Head Coach' thing, it's just a term. The 'Head Coach' ,unfortuantly in our case AI will still be responsible for team selection,tactics,substitutions etc, like any other football manager. Obviously Burton and Irvine in the Press Conference where stressing coaching  as one the main reasons that got him the job because his record as a manager was failure at both clubs he was at. I agree Irvine sounds like a nice guy,but he is out of his depth and seems oblivious of what he's letting himself in for, Burton on the other hand  could hardly string a sentence together. Then again he probably thought it would be the Chairman handling the presentation of a New Manager/Head Coach , because that's what proper Football Clubs do.  He'll soon learn.

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1061 on: June 18, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
Stunned at the press conferance ...... was that a media PR manager sitting at the table? Where has he been hiding the last year?

What's he done to upset you Kirk other than accept a job that he's been offered?

It really does come across as cheap, this Alan Irvine stuff, more suited to the Custard wearing ones or the seals from Witton.

And as for telling him to F off when all he has done in the job so far is attend a press conference, that seems very harsh.

He is in post now, why not try supporting him and then if he fails you can slate for all you're worth but right now given that he has been here for only a day or so it seems so unjustified.
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1062 on: June 18, 2014, 02:01:11 PM »
I have accepted Irvine because i have too.I am also going to re locate my seat by Jeremy
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1063 on: June 18, 2014, 02:01:43 PM »
I don't expect to gain an understanding, because they won't give genuine answers. They hardly ever do in such circumstances.

Seems to me the only answer acceptable to you would be the one you already believe so as to justify your anger and outrage.

Really it's pointless you listening to what they say as you are of a mind to reject it whatever the case.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1064 on: June 18, 2014, 02:01:55 PM »

Totally uncalled for. The guy applied for the job and was given it, he has done nothing to deserve that kind of comment. Aim your disappointment at those that gave him the job if you feel the need.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1065 on: June 18, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
He comes across well to be fair and he could actually lure Lescott in, but still can't hide away from his  failures at Sheff Wed and Preston. Maybe with a better structure and better players it might work. I will give him a chance and hope he proves me wrong.
BOING BOING

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1066 on: June 18, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
Totally uncalled for. The guy applied for the job and was given it, he has done nothing to deserve that kind of comment. Aim your disappointment at those that gave him the job if you feel the need.

Agree 100%. That kind of classless nonsense has to stop.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1067 on: June 18, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
Leeds just appointed a guy who was sacked by Forest Green, how on earth did we miss him????  ;)

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1068 on: June 18, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »
To be fair the snippets I've seen of AI in the press conference he said the right things, I don't think he will take any sh*t from the players and he MAY have taken some part in the POSSIBLE signing of a quality centre half.

Deep breathe, he might be ok. Give him a chance.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1069 on: June 18, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »
Leeds just appointed a guy who was sacked by Forest Green, how on earth did we miss him????  ;)

Too expensive
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1070 on: June 18, 2014, 03:45:26 PM »
I think people are getting misled by this 'Head Coach' thing, it's just a term. The 'Head Coach' ,unfortuantly in our case AI will still be responsible for team selection,tactics,substitutions etc, like any other football manager. Obviously Burton and Irvine in the Press Conference where stressing coaching  as one the main reasons that got him the job because his record as a manager was failure at both clubs he was at.
"There wouldn’t be a player who comes in who I don’t want here. I will rubber-stamp all transfers. The role means I will pick the team and I will be trying to identify players, with the help of Terry and the board. It will be like a manager’s job but without the extras like player’s contracts and things like that. There will be a lot more focus on what happens on the training pitch" Alan Irvine - 18/06/2014

Link: Birmingham Mail

charliemike

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1071 on: June 18, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
There are some fans on here who show they would be better off 7 miles down the road with the morons there . When I hear the rubbish from there mouths it makes me hope our new gaffer makes a job of it . Get off his back and give him a chance I say . What happened to the Albion sense of fair play .

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1072 on: June 18, 2014, 03:47:43 PM »
Too expensive
I talk to a Leeds fan on the train to work, he took the urine proper on monday / tuesday, what a pleasant journey it was this morning!! 40 minutes flew by!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

maximus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1073 on: June 18, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »
After much thinking and consideration along with hearing him talk, I think all he done was apply for the job, He seems a decent coach who favours the training ground aspect of management, And let's be honest that was the issue the players had with Mel was the communication with idea's, We have a core set of players who are grown adults who need tactical awareness, Like Brunt stop drifting in, Morrison actually doing something productive, Mulumbu giving silly free-kicks etc.

It's the training ground where they spend all day everyday at, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as we have a good set of players who just need to nail down a position and iron out some chinks, My only issue will be when things are going wrong and he'll take the flack for it rather than the players.

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1074 on: June 18, 2014, 04:03:45 PM »
"There wouldn’t be a player who comes in who I don’t want here. I will rubber-stamp all transfers. The role means I will pick the team and I will be trying to identify players, with the help of Terry and the board. It will be like a manager’s job but without the extras like player’s contracts and things like that. There will be a lot more focus on what happens on the training pitch" Alan Irvine - 18/06/2014

Link: Birmingham Mail

What a disgrace, I want him to focus on trivial matters.