Author Topic: Alan Irvine  (Read 1754521 times)

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Alan Irvine sacked by Albion
« Reply #975 on: June 17, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
Those of us that do want to try and do something have nothing to lose by trying
He's a lad from the Wrenna

Legend

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #976 on: June 17, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
He was in charge of Everton's academy and Martinez speaks highly of him so hopefully his ideas have changed since being manager of Sheff Wed and Preston and he might get us playing some good stuff. I still expect him to make us organised and hard to beat but we can't be subjected to dross. Maybe the set up here and working with better players might make him thrive compared to his other managerial jobs. It's rare that we will find a head coach with a unblemished record.  Brendan Rodgers left Reading one place above the relegation zone a couple of years ago but proved himself at Swansea. Irvine could prove himself here or maybe I'm just trying to make sense of this appointment.  :-X
the regime don't like it man

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #977 on: June 17, 2014, 02:26:59 PM »
I actually think we might do ok under him, a lot of his problems seemed to be related to terrible player recruitment, if our scouting can be pre last season levels then that shouldn't be an issue.

I just hope there's not a poisonous atmosphere of fans willing him to fail in the stadium next season, though I suspect there will be. A bit like Bolton fans and Megson.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #978 on: June 17, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
Ha Ha pictures of father Ted already, fair play
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #979 on: June 17, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »
Those of us that do want to try and do something have nothing to lose by trying

To quote Edmund Burke " All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" I am aware that this is completely melodramatic and we are not talking about war crimes but we are talking about something dear to people's hearts and something they want to put right, doesn't make the "bed sheet" brigade or the refund season ticket holders any better or worse then any other fan but they have need to express their anger. They feel a wrong has been done and they are trying to put it right.

I applaud the tryers and I applaud the give Peace a chance brigade after all we are part of this site because of our passion for the Albion however I wish AI well, he is not the cause of this injustice that has been going on for at least the last season, this appointment is just a small part of the steady decline of our club.

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #980 on: June 17, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »
I actually think we might do ok under him, a lot of his problems seemed to be related to terrible player recruitment, if our scouting can be pre last season levels then that shouldn't be an issue.

I just hope there's not a poisonous atmosphere of fans willing him to fail in the stadium next season, though I suspect there will be. A bit like Bolton fans and Megson.

To be fair, I think that could happen, but a large number of fans will want AI to do well, because naturally if he succeeds it's good for everyone.

Poisonous is the key word though, and it's infected the relationship between the fans and JP/ the Board. 

I really want to see more from the Board now in terms of properly engaging with fans, treating us as fans not customers and investing in the squad. And rather than let all this fester and spoil my summer, I have just e-mailed Mark Jenkins about it.

I am now off to p*ss in the wind.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #981 on: June 17, 2014, 02:52:23 PM »
On the odd occasion that I will be attending, I will give my whole-hearted support to the team on the pitch. I WILL NEVER SHOUT THE MANAGERS NAME ( either in support or abuse as I dont blame him ) BUT..........

Peace is another matter, he is a disgrace of a chairman for even considering this bloke or making our club the poor attraction to potential managers/coaches that it has become so that this bloke wiuth a track record of failure is the best we can come up with after 5 weeks of searching

Its just unbelievable what has happened. We were good enough to attract Hodgson 2 years ago from Liverpool ( albeit that he had failed there though not totally through his own making ) to Evertons youth team coach who's last first team job was to get Sheff Wed relegated to division 1 ffs !!

HOW CAN ANYONE JUSTIFY THIS, its all down to Peace.........NO-ONE ELSE !!

He's a lad from the Wrenna

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #982 on: June 17, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
Or the only candidate who was willing to work within the constraints. All credible applicants walked away leaving this poor desperado. That's why no-one from the club has come out with any rally cry, Peace didn't want him anymore than they wanted Mel, he just hamstrung himself with the constraints applied by his ridiculous power trip.
Peace could call the shots and play hardball when we were on the up, now we are on the wane no-one will take the risk and walk away from the negotiations leaving us with the dross at the bottom of the list. Peace will probably still be stroking his ego that no-one got the better of him, but long term he will be the loser, as will we.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #983 on: June 17, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
This is what you need to do to get the UEFA Pro Licence, a requirement to manage in the EPL. Clearly, there's more to it than just teaching.

Potential candidates must meet the following criteria:

Applicants must hold a current UEFA ‘A’ Licence, with priority given to applicants holding the English FA Award •• Applicants from outside the UK must hold the current A Licence equivalent award of that country, with priority given to holders of The FA UEFA ‘A’ Coaching Licence
All applicants must typically have experience in the professional game (or women’s equivalent) at senior level as either a player (minimum five yearsexperience), player coach, coach, assistant manager or manager
Priority will be given to applicants who have significant coaching experience with senior players in the domestic professional game
Applications are considered by the UEFA Pro-Licence Admissions Committee, which is made up of a representative from The FA, the League Managers’ Association, Professional Footballers’ Association, Premier League and Football League and the intake is agreed to commence the course in January 2013.

Course content

The following modules will be covered:

Professional communication

Communicating with players
Communicating with staff
Communicating with senior management, owners and senior stakeholders
Communicating with the media, wider community and supporters
Communicating with third party talent identification and recruitment agencies
Leadership, management of self and others

Influence and influencing
Practical applications of leadership
Leading and developing staff and associates
Leading winning teams in the modern game
Managing oneself and handling the pressures of management
Decision-making, and time and priority management
Performance management

Tactical understanding of the game and of systems of play
Technical understanding of play and players
Talent identification and recruitment
Performance analysis and purposeful use of data
Seasonal planning and preparation
Weekly planning, preparation and management
Match day management
Understanding and utilisation of physical conditioning, recovery and rehabilitation
Developing and sustaining a winning culture
Football business and finance

Understanding finance
Building a brand
Employment and contract law
Commercial and other revenue opportunities
Marketing and public relations
Course assessment

In order to complete the Licence, students must attend all modules and complete all associated distance learning and course tasks.
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #984 on: June 17, 2014, 02:56:25 PM »

I don't see why there would be a poisonous atmosphere against Irvine unless he makes decisions that almost everyone can see is a wrong one like the square pegs in round holes we have seen in the past when alternatives are available in those positions. I think any poison will be aimed at Peace and Irvine is just the unfortunate man in the role.

Everyone wants the club to do well and make the most of the position we are in. Yes its all about staying in the league for a club like us and yes finishing 8th was above our levels and we're unlikely to do it again. I understand and to an extent accept that but still struggle to see how Irvine is the best option available to a club like ourselves getting ready for yet another season in the top flight and after 5 weeks of searching and even longer when it was obvious that Mel would be leaving, that is something I will never get my head round even if he does succeed.

A decent cup run occasionally would also work wonders to help boost morale.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Rheneas

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #985 on: June 17, 2014, 03:47:27 PM »
I don't see why there would be a poisonous atmosphere against Irvine unless he makes decisions that almost everyone can see is a wrong one like the square pegs in round holes we have seen in the past when alternatives are available in those positions. I think any poison will be aimed at Peace and Irvine is just the unfortunate man in the role.

Everyone wants the club to do well and make the most of the position we are in. Yes its all about staying in the league for a club like us and yes finishing 8th was above our levels and we're unlikely to do it again. I understand and to an extent accept that but still struggle to see how Irvine is the best option available to a club like ourselves getting ready for yet another season in the top flight and after 5 weeks of searching and even longer when it was obvious that Mel would be leaving, that is something I will never get my head round even if he does succeed.

A decent cup run occasionally would also work wonders to help boost morale.

Agree with all this apart from the bit in bold. Yes 8th was superb and there was luck involved.

But it was also down to planning, performances, sound management and everyone pulling in the same direction.

What I maintain is that if it has happened once through hard work and graft, then you can create the conditions for the like to happened again.

Let's not get overambitious, but let's not be too modest. 

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #986 on: June 17, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
I've heard the horror stories From Wednesday fans. The home Yeovil game when Yeovil had 9 men and a 2 goal lead. He went Ultra defensive for 78 minutes. It was the game that ultimately got him the sack. Ironically I can't, don't and won't blame Irvine next season. I hold the board responable, after all the rubbish in 90's I thought we were in safe hands. we come a long way to just p1ss it alll down a drain. This will be my last ST unless something drastic happens. I can no longer justify the expendature

Ben1983

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #987 on: June 17, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »
If/When we do poorly next year it will not be down to Irvine, we have had a shocking 18months on and off the field.

For the last 10 years ive been very proud how we have conducted our business on and off the field. Not now.
WestBrom.com FC Number 10

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #988 on: June 17, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
This is what you need to do to get the UEFA Pro Licence, a requirement to manage in the EPL. Clearly, there's more to it than just teaching.
On a lighter note, looking at the 6th line from the bottom "understanding finance", how the hell did 'Arry ever get his license ???
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

addy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #989 on: June 17, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Still fuming... I thought it would have passed by now.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #990 on: June 17, 2014, 07:01:14 PM »

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #991 on: June 17, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »
Interestingly in the video I've just posted he claims to be a 'purist' - he likes attractive football and likes to see his team controlling the game and dictating the tempo. He then followed that by the importance of winning and using a variety of systems and strategies. In fairness, I would expect any manager to say attractive football when they are asked that question - the proof will be in the pudding.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #992 on: June 17, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »
at 0:30 does he say "I'm enjoying my first Mauling"?

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #993 on: June 17, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
I like attacking football "BUT" I'm a realist  ;D 1 step forward 2 steps back there

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #994 on: June 17, 2014, 07:28:46 PM »
Whilst his record as a manager is not great, haven't we appointed him as head coach? Would the director of football not direct the manner in which we play?  When we tried to appoint him the first time and we had the he said she said debate, wasn't Dan Ashworth part of the team that wanted to appoint him? As pointed out elsewhere, if previous records were the only thing to look at, Liverpool would quite probably not be playing Champions League (and who would sign Suarez?)
Different chapter that may end in disaster but if anyone truly believes the worst, put your mortgage on it, easy money.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #995 on: June 17, 2014, 07:31:13 PM »
On a lighter note, looking at the 6th line from the bottom "understanding finance", how the hell did 'Arry ever get his license ???
Now that did make me chuckle!! .....unless his dog went with him!! :D
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #996 on: June 17, 2014, 07:31:20 PM »
Whilst his record as a manager is not great, haven't we appointed him as head coach? Would the director of football not direct the manner in which we play?  When we tried to appoint him the first time and we had the he said she said debate, wasn't Dan Ashworth part of the team that wanted to appoint him? As pointed out elsewhere, if previous records were the only thing to look at, Liverpool would quite probably not be playing Champions League (and who would sign Suarez?)
Different chapter that may end in disaster but if anyone truly believes the worst, put your mortgage on it, easy money.

Surely the head coach would decide the style of play, with the DOF taking care of the signings.

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #997 on: June 17, 2014, 07:34:43 PM »
at 0:30 does he say "I'm enjoying my first Mauling"?
He does, but I think he meant Mourning.

LongBridge Baggie1

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #998 on: June 17, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »

No mate Head coach's job is to handle all things on field including matchday tatics. what you suggest would be like Ashworth picking Hodgson's team and tactics when they were both here
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:39:35 PM by LongBridge Baggie1 »

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #999 on: June 17, 2014, 07:52:39 PM »
No mate Head coach's job is to handle all things on field including matchday tatics. what you suggest would be like Ashworth picking Hodgson's team and tactics when they were both here
That is the assumption (and because of the way other British clubs have historically done their business). Irvine has said he is here to coach and is it unreasonable that he is given a mandate from the club as to the way in which he takes this forward?
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.