Author Topic: The Athletic  (Read 73857 times)

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

Re: The Athletic
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2020, 04:10:55 PM »
He was never the superstar some made out, but I’ve no doubt he had the talent and ability to do much more than he did. Personal problems, family tragedy and injuries all played parts in that unfortunately, as did the weight of expectation by the sound of it.

Morrison was a better player and got more from his ability, but I genuinely believe Dorrans had more talent.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2020, 09:24:43 PM »
I have no idea why Steve Clarke sidelined Dorrans in 2015.  It's just my opinion but I rated Dorrans as a better all round player than both Morrison and Brunt.  If we think back to 5 years ago Brunt was in decline aged 30 and he had this problem of not knowing whether he was a left winger, left back or central midfielder.  Also in 2015 we lost the mercurial Mulumbu.  For me this reduced the effectiveness of the midfield and we never recovered.  I just think Brunt has been lucky to stay all this time from 2015 onwards. 

Dorrans was let go at 28 and was really still in his prime.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2020, 09:41:45 PM »
Dorrans was unplayable in that 2009 season.

I was always a big fan of him and felt he should have had more games for us. He had the ability to unlock defences and a bit of the Koumas about him on the ball.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2020, 10:10:18 PM »
Brunt, Morrison, Gera, Odemwingie, Mulumbu, Yacob were far more effective than Dorrans in the Premier league.

He never hit the heights many expected and I think our fan base played our part. Maybe we set our expectations too high?

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2020, 10:15:53 PM »
I subscribed to the Athletic this afternoon - there was an article with Agbonlahor which stated Pulis wanted to sign him but thankfully Gabby turned us down.

One of the reasons he cited was the fan base

Neighbours West Brom, then managed by Tony Pulis, offered him an immediate return to the Premier League but, again, Agbonlahor felt it wasn’t the right move for him. “I was going through a rough time at Villa and even though some of the Villa fans had turned against me, it was just something that I couldn’t do.

“Pulis and his assistant wanted me to go there. Craig Gardner [a former Villa team-mate] was there, too. I didn’t fancy it. They were my one of my biggest rivals and I have scored so many times against them. After Birmingham City, they’re up next, aren’t they? Then it’s Wolves.

“Their fans didn’t like me, either, and even though it wasn’t going well at Villa, I just couldn’t move so that one was cancelled too.”

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2020, 10:24:34 PM »
I subscribed to the Athletic this afternoon - there was an article with Agbonlahor which stated Pulis wanted to sign him but thankfully Gabby turned us down.

One of the reasons he cited was the fan base

Neighbours West Brom, then managed by Tony Pulis, offered him an immediate return to the Premier League but, again, Agbonlahor felt it wasn’t the right move for him. “I was going through a rough time at Villa and even though some of the Villa fans had turned against me, it was just something that I couldn’t do.

“Pulis and his assistant wanted me to go there. Craig Gardner [a former Villa team-mate] was there, too. I didn’t fancy it. They were my one of my biggest rivals and I have scored so many times against them. After Birmingham City, they’re up next, aren’t they? Then it’s Wolves.

“Their fans didn’t like me, either, and even though it wasn’t going well at Villa, I just couldn’t move so that one was cancelled too.”

he's right though, out of all the old villa players we've had over the years, he's one that would have never been accepted, Hutton too despite multiple links with moves here.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2020, 11:05:19 PM »
By that stage of his career Agbonlahor was completely and utterly shot. In the following 2 seasons he made a total of 19 appearances mainly as a substitute. Pulis not only wanted to bring him to the club but was prepared to pay a fee and pay his bloated wages.

I can't think of a single player down the years that joined us from the Villa that was any good but Agbonlahor would have been the absolute worst. I am so glad that Pulis is no longer at the club.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

eddiethebeagle

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2020, 11:18:44 PM »
By that stage of his career Agbonlahor was completely and utterly shot. In the following 2 seasons he made a total of 19 appearances mainly as a substitute. Pulis not only wanted to bring him to the club but was prepared to pay a fee and pay his bloated wages.

I can't think of a single player down the years that joined us from the Villa that was any good but Agbonlahor would have been the absolute worst. I am so glad that Pulis is no longer at the club.

Completely agree. As concerning, if not more, was the structure which allowed Pulis that level of control to make such offers to ageing has beens or (in Agbonlahor’s case) never beens.

I’ve seen a lot more links to the Athletic subscription and articles recently.
They do seem to be pretty good content and well chosen subjects.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:20:49 PM by eddiethebeagle »

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2020, 02:10:07 AM »

Kevin Phillips may want a word. As for Agbo-order I can honestly say that I would not have renewed my season ticket had he signed for us. Seriously. Thank naughty word he had more sense than our then coaching staff.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2020, 02:25:20 AM »
He was great in that championship season - it’s a shame that his career never blossomed in the Premier League

That free kick against Preston is still the best free kick I’ve seen at the Albion.

Still can't believe that a then mate decided to get married during the football season (a heinous crime in itself) and asked me to be his usher meaning I missed 'that' free kick in person. I don't think the highlights did it the same justice my spot on the Smeth' would have done. One of only about ten or twelve home games I've missed at most in all competitions since October 1994, before you were born I believe. And I worked nights and all manner of shifts yet still took time off. There are probably underlying reasons why people no longer speak.........
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2020, 06:47:39 AM »
Kevin Phillips may want a word. As for Agbo-order I can honestly say that I would not have renewed my season ticket had he signed for us. Seriously. Thank naughty word he had more sense than our then coaching staff.

I forgot that Phillips was at the Villa, but that barely makes up for how shockingly bad Luke Moore was and don't get me started on Denis Mortimore. General rule of thumb nothing ever good comes out of the seal sanctuary and leave it at that.

I never thought I could think less of Pulis but this is a new low.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2020, 11:28:43 AM »
I'd like to say that I can't believe Pulis tried to sign him but I don't doubt it for a second. Another grizzled, British veteran who was past it screams Pulis.

Can't stand GA but he got a bit of respect from me for turning us down. Would have been a disastrous move for all parties.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
I forgot that Phillips was at the Villa, but that barely makes up for how shockingly bad Luke Moore was and don't get me started on Denis Mortimore. General rule of thumb nothing ever good comes out of the seal sanctuary and leave it at that.

I never thought I could think less of Pulis but this is a new low.

I do wonder what you would have posted about us signing Super Kev had it been Pulis at the helm given his age etc. 😉
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:29:28 PM by TheJacko2000 »
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »
Phillips was the one aging striker that might justify the signing of all the others from Hartson to Austin. On the face of it the signing sucked. Age 33 and played virtually no football the proceeding season goal scoring record diminishing with each successive season albeit from an absolute bonkers season at Sunderland nearly 6 years earlier. No way on this Earth should he turned out as well as he did although stepping down in class helped.

Had he signed for a Pulis team as opposed to one that was mainly managed by Mowbray maybe half the goals. No matter what talent you gave Pulis it disappeared into the blackhole of negativity. I will still rail against aging signings in general and in particular forwards and I will be right more often than I'm not.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2020, 03:46:20 PM »
and the less said about John Deehan the better!

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2020, 04:12:05 PM »
and the less said about John Deehan the better!
Not to mention Andy Townsend.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2020, 10:36:47 PM »
Graham Fenton did all right for us on loan from Villa, we'd probably have got relegated without his goals.
Stephen Hunt wasn't that bad either

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2020, 10:39:14 PM »
I think agent Lescott more than re-balanced our net debt to Vile
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2020, 10:46:51 PM »
I'd completely forgotten that Tony Morley signed for us twice.

EastYorksAlbion

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
Graham Fenton did all right for us on loan from Villa, we'd probably have got relegated without his goals.
Stephen Hunt wasn't that bad either
The brilliant Steve Hunt went the other way, gutted when he left us to go to that shower. Amazed that when talk of quality players of the past he is never mentioned, a star in a dreadful team.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2020, 01:24:12 AM »
The brilliant Steve Hunt went the other way, gutted when he left us to go to that shower. Amazed that when talk of quality players of the past he is never mentioned, a star in a dreadful team.
So he did.

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2020, 04:07:44 PM »
Darren Bradley did alright as well
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2020, 07:14:44 PM »
Darren Bradley did alright as well
all I can say is some strike against those Dingles, still smiling every time I think of that goal.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2020, 05:39:30 PM »
Apparently I have 5, 30 day passes for the Athletic. If people want to drop me a DM with an email address I will give them away on a first come first serve basis.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2020, 09:24:00 AM »
Any one willing or able to post the current article about plans to allow supporters back into stadiums?
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)