Poll

Who would you prefer as next WBA manager: Tony Pulis OR Tim Sherwood?

Tony Pulis
Tim Sherwood

Author Topic: New Manager thread  (Read 362185 times)

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

Re: New Manager thread
« Reply #1475 on: January 01, 2015, 01:45:19 AM »
As I'm nicely sozzled a little bit of fun: who will Pulis headbutt first sweepstakes.

My money is on Saido. Then he'll tag in Mozza and go for a double team powerbomb.

Nathan

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1476 on: January 01, 2015, 01:55:24 AM »
As I'm nicely sozzled a little bit of fun: who will Pulis headbutt first sweepstakes.

My money is on Saido. Then he'll tag in Mozza and go for a double team powerbomb.

He won't do much damage headbutting with his baseball cap on unless he goes Peaky Blinder's style!

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1477 on: January 01, 2015, 02:58:31 AM »
Happy new year. Onwards and upwards. God I love this site! Happy days.

robnewbold

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1478 on: January 01, 2015, 04:38:15 AM »
Think the anti Pulis theme is total dog****.

He's a proven Premier League Manager, he's got credentials, he's got form and he's what we need.

He had a style at Stoke that sorted Stoke, he had a style at CP which suited them..
fast as ****.

If he comes it will be a godsend.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 09:13:15 AM by Quakes Fan »

The Joust

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1479 on: January 01, 2015, 07:16:16 AM »
Interesting to hear just now on SSN that Pulis accepted the job only after talking with Hodgson. Goo on Roy The Boy!

socalbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1480 on: January 01, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
I see the dismissal of AI and the appointment of Pulis as history repeating itself like when we fired RDM and brought in Roy!! Looking at our first year back in the Premier League we had a head coach who before coming to us had been pretty successful in his short career (unlike AI) but did not have a whole lot of experience. This was exposed once our honeymoon period had ended and we suddenly found ourselves just above the relegation places with nothing to point to that would indicate things improving. So, out went RDM who by the way was far better than AI and luckily for us Roy was available, stepped in and steadied the ship and guiding us to a surprising and pretty comfortable 11th place finish. I'd admit I wasn't excited with how he had us set up and playing but it was so nice to finally not have to cover my eyes on every corner and free kick because i actually found myself confident in our defending and more importantly enjoyed keeping leads and picking up points rather than give them away! Now here comes Pulis with a deserved reputation of playing some awful football but his teams won matches and picked up points and his time at Palace just encourages me even more by setting up some pretty good counter attacking football and again won matches and picked up points saving them from certain relegation. I'll admit 3-4 years ago I never would think I would say I want Pulis at WBA but back then who thought we would hire someone like AI and find ourselves in this kind of situation. Right now we need a head coach that has experience and previous success in this league just like after RDM's departure we needed Roy. To top it off who else out there and available right now is going to do a better job of saving our season? Pulls is the answer I think to get safe and steady and if your truly honest the football can't get worse than it has been since AI arrived. So if Pulis does as well as Roy did plus get us winning Cup matches (Stoke made the finals) I am more than willing to sacrifice playing pretty football, but again under AI even the worst of Pulis Stoke style football is better than the garbage we have been witness to since the start of the season. Also gotta hand it to Peace for breaking away from the norm and doing what is needed to give us the best chance of staying up!

BAGGIE5

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1481 on: January 01, 2015, 08:33:28 AM »
Still no announcement haha..  :D

tennant1wba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1482 on: January 01, 2015, 09:29:02 AM »
have they gave pulis the job then ststes on sky sports 2 million a year with a 1 million bonus for every year kept in premiere league ??
we all hate wolves scum 💩

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1483 on: January 01, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »
Here are my thoughts on Pulis joining:

One, the club is in a bit of a mess really and are repeatedly making mistakes over and over again. There were poor signings made towards the end of Clarke's reign. Sinclair was a waste, Anelka, Lugano too and it all sounded like there was a chap behind the scenes called Dave McDonahugh pulling the transfer strings while a man whose only experience came as a lawyer was suddenly the director of football. We'd balls'd up big time.

Skip forward to December 2013 and Pepe Mel arrives, employed because we want a change of style in the middle of a season where we were really struggling. It proved to be a terrible idea and Mel's time was cut short.

We then added Alan Irvine and bought a load of players who would have very much fitted Mel's style of play but didn't suit Irvine's. What a mess. I do believe that the issues of recruiting however were addressed and last summer's recruiting more than likely had some residual influence from the past and we'll see a more positive input from the scouts in the next two transfer windows.

So with the club getting managers, sorry, head coaches in and giving them the wrong players we were looking a total mess and I don't think any of us wanted to see Irvine buy his type of players. Thankfully though regrettably, we let him go and this appointment suddenly became very, very important.

Step up Tony Pulis. If there ever was a man to sort out a mess at a club it's him. I think his demands to have full control over the transfers can only be good. I'm done with seeing managers get the wrong players and be at odds with the recruitment department.

A lot has been said about his style, well we've seen two styles from him at Palace and Stoke and admittedly, one job lasted a lot longer than the other BUT it proves he's adaptable.

You know what I take joy in watching? Corners being cleared almost every time instead of panic every time the opposition win a set-piece. I like seeing teams defend well and hit their opponents on the counter. I don't even mind long ball as long as it isn't every time. Most of all, I enjoy it when we win when it looks like we may draw and draw when we may lose.

I'm convinced that Peace has finally done everything correct here and Pulis is the man to get us back into the position we were on when Roy left. He's not the most glamorous boss either so you never know it may be the start of a long beautiful relationship!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1484 on: January 01, 2015, 09:41:23 AM »
Every time we watched and were beaten by Stoke and Palace we all thought " At least we don't have to watch this every week"... Now you all sell your souls for the greed league. . enjoy it

You don't speak for me so voice your own opinions and use I thought not 'we all thought'

Palace played us off the park last season

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1485 on: January 01, 2015, 09:45:40 AM »
I think he is a top manager and have no doubt he will keep us up... Personally I'd rather have been relegated and not won another game this season. The most anti Albion manager of all time... Have always hated what he does ... Although undoubtably it works.

So he is a top manager, will keep us up but you would rather us never win another game and get relegated...

One of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read

Anti-Albion!!! Where do people pluck these words from ...laughable

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts