Author Topic: Coronavirus Thread - Games resuming 20 June - CLUB RELATED ONLY  (Read 267460 times)

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

A few years ago 1993 i think we went to juvestus vs lazio in the afternoon and then caught a train and went to ac vs inter.

Later in the year Fiorentina vs WBA and the next night San Marino vs England.

I went to the Nou Camp a couple of seasons ago for a game and like the Maracana from the outside it looks a terrible concrete mess imo. Went to real madrid ground, but I don't class it as having been as even though I did the tour and went pitch side I didn't see a game, but it is a tremendous ground where they have plans to do the roof.

Done the German grounds b muinch, dortmund, shalcke and Olympic stadium in wc 2006.

When on holiday I try to see what local sport is on so we can can go to a new stadium and as such I went to the miami heat arena and the Yankee stadium but would like to see a nfl and mls game in the future, but they also look like they have got the 2026 wc sewn up, so all being OK should go to that.

Because I don't really care for baseball or basketball we get the cheapest seats so they usually cost 10 dollars.

But, the game I want to see the most is boca vs river and in all honesty I should have made more of an effort to go the copa libertodas final they played in Madrid, but it wouldn't have been the same as at the La Bombonera.
Fantastic
I’ve been to Barca and Madrid but only the outsides , been to Oostend vs lalouviere (ode Winnie was on the bench) but would love to go to some Italian games.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

A few years ago 1993 i think we went to juvestus vs lazio in the afternoon and then caught a train and went to ac vs inter.

Later in the year Fiorentina vs WBA and the next night San Marino vs England.

I went to the Nou Camp a couple of seasons ago for a game and like the Maracana from the outside it looks a terrible concrete mess imo. Went to real madrid ground, but I don't class it as having been as even though I did the tour and went pitch side I didn't see a game, but it is a tremendous ground where they have plans to do the roof.

Done the German grounds b muinch, dortmund, shalcke and Olympic stadium in wc 2006.

When on holiday I try to see what local sport is on so we can can go to a new stadium and as such I went to the miami heat arena and the Yankee stadium but would like to see a nfl and mls game in the future, but they also look like they have got the 2026 wc sewn up, so all being OK should go to that.

Because I don't really care for baseball or basketball we get the cheapest seats so they usually cost 10 dollars.

But, the game I want to see the most is boca vs river and in all honesty I should have made more of an effort to go the copa libertodas final they played in Madrid, but it wouldn't have been the same as at the La Bombonera.

Nice mate. Would like to do the Milan derby. Also fancied Borussia v bayern.

Done the MLS the nba saw Orlando magic v Miami heat as a child when we did a disney holiday.

More recently I have done the baseball and saw la dogers v the anaheim Angel's

Both of which could be considered Derbys but neither had any form of atmosphere. The hockey and the american football next on the hit list.

Having said that whilst they're bucket list items going the derbys in the football has been far better
O Albion we love you

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

IMO, Standaman makes some really relevant points about the professional football landscape post covid19, & WBAFC aren't isolated from that.

If/when games do re-start, there's no guarantee that we'll reproduce the form that we showed pre-lockdown, so it's dangerous to assume we will be automatically promoted.

It's highly likely that the broadcasters will ask for a return of some payments for games not televised. Standaman reported that Man U had budgeted for a return of £15 million in Q4, extrapolated over 20 clubs, that's a loss of £300 million to the game.

Since lockdown, the only revenue coming in to WBA has been from existing season tickets, & the few sales from early renewals for season 20/21, together with items from the club shop. I assume we've paid players & staff from a pot set aside for that reason, not sure what happens when that runs out.
Have to say, all professional clubs are in a similar position, it's just that we aren't carrying a lot of debt, so we're in slightly better shape  than some, but we're not in great shape.

I should add that our debtors (people who owe us money) are somebody else's creditors ( people who they owe money to), so if any of our debtors (on the positive side of the P and L statement) go bust, we're in even worse shape.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 10:33:08 AM by baggiejohn »
If it was easy, it wouldn't be Albion

A wise old owl sat in an oak, the more he saw, the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard, why aren't we like that wise old bird?

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

I'm not a company law expert, but I would think many EFL clubs might find the only way to get out of expensive contracts for players in their squads might be bankruptcy. 

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Doesn't Mr Lai  owe the Albion 4/5k?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Doesn't Mr Lai  owe the Albion 4/5k?

4 million.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

IMO, Standaman makes some really relevant points about the professional football landscape post covid19, & WBAFC aren't isolated from that.

If/when games do re-start, there's no guarantee that we'll reproduce the form that we showed pre-lockdown, so it's dangerous to assume we will be automatically promoted.

It's highly likely that the broadcasters will ask for a return of some payments for games not televised. Standaman reported that Man U had budgeted for a return of £15 million in Q4, extrapolated over 20 clubs, that's a loss of £300 million to the game.

Since lockdown, the only revenue coming in to WBA has been from existing season tickets, & the few sales from early renewals for season 20/21, together with items from the club shop. I assume we've paid players & staff from a pot set aside for that reason, not sure what happens when that runs out.
Have to say, all professional clubs are in a similar position, it's just that we aren't carrying a lot of debt, so we're in slightly better shape  than some, but we're not in great shape.

I should add that our debtors (people who owe us money) are somebody else's creditors ( people who they owe money to), so if any of our debtors (on the positive side of the P and L statement) go bust, we're in even worse shape.

We are probably in a better shape than most clubs in the championship as we have £10 million in transfer fees instalments coming

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/21/west-brom-receive-10m-cash-injection-upcoming-transfer-installments

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

We're absolutely fine for at least 2 seasons. 5 if we get promoted.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

We are probably in a better shape than most clubs in the championship as we have £10 million in transfer fees instalments coming

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/21/west-brom-receive-10m-cash-injection-upcoming-transfer-installments

That's assuming Watford & Burnley have the cash, they will also have cash flow issues, not sure about Rondon.

We're probably ok on paper but a few bad debts will put us in trouble.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

Don't forget that all premier league teams will have to pay back on average around 16:5 million pounds back to shy/bt due to unplayed matches as I understand it.
So I reckon we will be in a strong position to buy good players when we go up.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

We're absolutely fine for at least 2 seasons. 5 if we get promoted.

You cannot say that with any certainty. It certainly was true prior to the pandemic but now, all bets are off.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

You cannot say that with any certainty. It certainly was true prior to the pandemic but now, all bets are off.

I can say it with as much certainty as anyone suggesting we're in financial peril.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

The Premier League getting a programme on has averted the worst case scenario. As a recipient of parachute payments I fully expect us to have to contribute to any refund that is due to the broadcasters

Our immediate cash flow position is bolstered by the transfer instalments that are falling due. Providing that clubs can still make these payments there is some liquidity in the game yet if and when they can't things start to unravel very quickly.

Our future in the Championship is uncertain the parachute payments place us in a better position than many but with all other income streams trending toward zero it is hard to be optimistic.

Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

If our games go ahead, you would think it would be around the same time as the Prem - maybe let them have their "fanfare" restart weekend then book in midweek games to start just after that.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Parachute payments are calculated as a percentage of the total fund, which means that if EPL clubs have to pay back circa £300 million, the funding pot will be smaller.
On that basis, it's unlikely that we'll get our budgeted allocation.
Details of the parachute payment mechanism here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_parachute_and_solidarity_payments

As far as the £4 million loan inherited by JL, I believe the amount is owed to the Holding Company, & not WBAFC. Perhaps one of our members in the Shareholders for Albion group could clarify?

Personally, I'm not being pessimistic or optimistic, just realistic. If things did go belly up I will be disappointed, but not surprised.

The one benefit we do have is the academy, so if we did have a massive reduction in income, we could still put a team out, other Champs clubs couldn't.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

I can't imagine paying any money at all back this season is still a threat. Surely part of giving broadcasters permission to screen every game they've taken this off the table.

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

I can say it with as much certainty as anyone suggesting we're in financial peril.
I agree with you Jacko, I can't think of any club in the Championship better placed financially from within it's own means.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

I agree with you Jacko, I can't think of any club in the Championship better placed financially from within it's own means.
The whole pyramid is in peril, but owning our own ground + academy puts us at least as well off as anyone else.  Some clubs like Coventry are little more than a shell organisation to put out a team now and could fold quickly with few ripples outside their fan base.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Hopefully next time we want us to spend £10m on a player we don't all start panicking about it pushing the club under.  Seems that we're super stable one minute, then on the verge of financial collapse the next.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

Hopefully next time we want us to spend £10m on a player we don't all start panicking about it pushing the club under.  Seems that we're super stable one minute, then on the verge of financial collapse the next.

On paper, which means that if all the budgeted numbers materialise, we're ok, but it only wants one or two debtors to fall over, then we're not ok.

Here's a link to June 2019 accounts.

I've put up the link to companies house, the accounts link is at the top of the list.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03295063/filing-history

Most of the assets are in player registrations, at the time of compiling the accounts, the business had circa £1.2 million in the bank, & debtor valuations were circa £35.5 million.

Non tangible assets (players) had a book value of £35.5 million & tangible assets (property) had a book value of £23.3 million.

In terms of income generation:

Gate receipts £7.3 million
Merchandising £2.9 million
           Media £52.8 million
          Other? £7.7 million

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

On paper, which means that if all the budgeted numbers materialise, we're ok, but it only wants one or two debtors to fall over, then we're not ok.

Here's a link to June 2019 accounts.

I've put up the link to companies house, the accounts link is at the top of the list.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03295063/filing-history

Most of the assets are in player registrations, at the time of compiling the accounts, the business had circa £1.2 million in the bank, & debtor valuations were circa £35.5 million.

Non tangible assets (players) had a book value of £35.5 million & tangible assets (property) had a book value of £23.3 million.

In terms of income generation:

Gate receipts £7.3 million
Merchandising £2.9 million
           Media £52.8 million
          Other? £7.7 million

You referred to a couple Debtors to fall over a few times and mentioned Watford and Burnley owing fees to us.

Football debts have to always be paid before any other and payment of these is conditional on said defaulting team to ever play in the Premier league or championship, so you don't need to worry about those debts and Burnley make lots of profit anyway and the pozzo's at Watford have plenty of resources too.

baggiejohn

• Senior Baggie

You referred to a couple Debtors to fall over a few times and mentioned Watford and Burnley owing fees to us.

Football debts have to always be paid before any other and payment of these is conditional on said defaulting team to ever play in the Premier league or championship, so you don't need to worry about those debts and Burnley make lots of profit anyway and the pozzo's at Watford have plenty of resources too.

Ah, that's alright then, silly me.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

The EFL have arranged a meeting for the 8/6/20 to decide what is going to happen.

I don't understand why they have to wait until the 8/6/20, as it just seems like they are dragging their feet and appears to me as there is no appetite there to restart, otherwise they could have met this week and set a return date, especially with all the clubs testing and releasing their results.

Maybe some clubs cannot afford to restart with each generating nothing in gate receipts.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

The EFL have arranged a meeting for the 8/6/20 to decide what is going to happen.

I don't understand why they have to wait until the 8/6/20, as it just seems like they are dragging their feet and appears to me as there is no appetite there to restart, otherwise they could have met this week and set a return date, especially with all the clubs testing and releasing their results.

Maybe some clubs cannot afford to restart with each generating nothing in gate receipts.
Unless they have a schedule laid out in advance of the meeting, we are going to run out of time

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

The Championship is almost certain to restart. League One despite some explicit threats of litigation from the 'big 6' I think will be curtailed and decided by ppg. League 2 have already voted to curtail but the vote cannot stand until the regulations have been updated, I would imagine they will again vote to curtail despite the renewed threat of relegation (helped again of course by the Bury situation).