Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 668343 times)

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #1150 on: January 29, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
Biggest load of tosh, I have read for a while. Only mistake last night was playing it out from the back in the lead up to the second goal. Plenty of others who need the figure pointing before you get to the keeper. Bartley as RCB has never worked and Billic should now that by now!
So you think his positioning for the free kick was ok? If so why did he get nowhere near it, it was a good free kick but no postage stamp.
Bartley's defending was awful for the first yes, but Johnstone should have done better, he got a hand to it but, yet again, was too weak and just pushed it back out. I know it was close but a good keeper would have been bigger and stronger and kept that out. IMO.

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1151 on: January 29, 2020, 12:45:47 PM »
So you think his positioning for the free kick was ok? If so why did he get nowhere near it, it was a good free kick but no postage stamp.
Bartley's defending was awful for the first yes, but Johnstone should have done better, he got a hand to it but, yet again, was too weak and just pushed it back out. I know it was close but a good keeper would have been bigger and stronger and kept that out. IMO.

Just re-watched the highlights. Two of our defenders on one Cardiff player fail to clear the initial long throw (Hegarzi completely misses the header and Bartley is ball watching!), loose ball hit straight at the keeper, Then I think both Ferguson and O Shea fail to clear the rebound ball in the six yard box and its poked home. No way is the keeper at fault here and no way is he keeping hold of that initial shot.

Free kick - keeper is quite far over, but needs to be to see the ball as the wall is set up to cover that side of the goal. Decent free kick at pace even if if was half a yard over he would not of got that as the wall would of un-sighted him.

Giving free kicks in stupid positions and 4 defenders not defending on the edge of their 6 yard box is the problem here.
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1152 on: January 29, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
We need a big, loud keeper with a huge presence. That is key behind any defence. Take Liverpool as an example. Van Dijk gets all the credit but their defensive improvement has coincided with the signing of Alisson. If Bond or Al Habsi are not deemed good enough to contest a first team place then neither should be here.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1153 on: January 29, 2020, 01:56:11 PM »
Just re-watched the highlights. Two of our defenders on one Cardiff player fail to clear the initial long throw (Hegarzi completely misses the header and Bartley is ball watching!), loose ball hit straight at the keeper, Then I think both Ferguson and O Shea fail to clear the rebound ball in the six yard box and its poked home. No way is the keeper at fault here and no way is he keeping hold of that initial shot.

Free kick - keeper is quite far over, but needs to be to see the ball as the wall is set up to cover that side of the goal. Decent free kick at pace even if if was half a yard over he would not of got that as the wall would of un-sighted him.

Giving free kicks in stupid positions and 4 defenders not defending on the edge of their 6 yard box is the problem here.
I've not defended any of the defensive errors, that you highlight, but to absolve him of any culpability is just wrong. The first goal was hit at close range yes, but did not just bounce of him, he got a hand to it but was too weak and too small, he should be making himself as big as possible and moving towards the ball with the intent of stopping it, with any part of his body, to prevent it going in the net.
As for the free kick there's no excuse, he's too far over, simple as that and if he was unsighted by the wall then he shouldn't have positioned them there.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1154 on: January 29, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »
Don't know if Gary Walsh has a say in this having been with Johnstone elsewhere but its time Bond was given a few games .
Capable on his day but not often enough.(SJ)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:04:04 PM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1155 on: January 29, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »
And regarding the freekick - he's too far over.  He's given Tomlin an open goal if he can chip it over the wall.  He doesn't have to be that far over to see the ball because the ref put markers down so the opposition players can't get to close to the wall and block his view.  You seem to be saying that the freekick was unstoppable.

It's not too unsimilar to Pereria's against Bristol City, except Periera hit it harder, flatter, and right into the top corner.  Keeper takes a step but he's not reaching that.  If it was hit as soft as the one last night the Bristol City keeper would have saved it.  Tomlin's not hit at pace, it wasn't right in the corner.

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1156 on: January 29, 2020, 04:45:45 PM »
I don't know whether he should have saved the free kick but why play it short and put us under pressure?

He had the chance to clear the ball in the build up to the free kick.
I'm not one for calling a player usless but he hasnt moved forward in his developement at all, infact he seems to be going backwards SB needs to give 007 a run

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1157 on: January 29, 2020, 10:18:36 PM »
It's weird that we have some fans insisting that Bilic hasn't tried anything new with different players.
Then also some fans saying he keeps dropping the wrong players.
To be clear , most fans are saying Johnstone needs dropping .....and billic hasn’t
Some are saying Livermore should be dropped .....he hasn’t

Krov scored v barnsley DROPPED
Austin scored v blues DROPPED
Kanu scored v boro DROPPED
Townsend scored v West Ham DROPPED

I haven’t seen one fan asking for furlong to be dropped, he’s been one of our best players...guess what ?

To me it’s clear that the manager is making many strange d3cisions and refuses to make the obvious one ....
Opinions eh?
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1158 on: January 30, 2020, 05:35:23 AM »
Not sure what this keeper strengths are. 1 in 10 he has a blinder the rest of the time he is a waste of space. Doesnt command his box or his defence he seldom comes for crosses never mind how floaty. He is beaten regularly from range plenty of which are tame efforts.

Yes his kicking is quite good but keeper main job is stop the ball going in the net. That long throw somebody like Russell holt would have cleared bodies out his way and claimed that or punched it. The second goal why on earth has he passed that to bartley and invited pressure? We literally just got back in the game...

No clean sheets at home this year that's god awful.
Bond when called upon has looked steady and the defenders seem more at ease with him behind. Sj bad when confident but he like a few others confidence totally shot. Time for bond
O Albion we love you

palmaroy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1159 on: January 30, 2020, 07:37:05 AM »
Just out of interest can anybody recall Johnstone ever needing the trainer on for treatment.He completely backs out of any physical contact,not really great for a goalkeeper

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1160 on: January 30, 2020, 11:46:05 AM »
To be clear , most fans are saying Johnstone needs dropping .....and billic hasn’t
Some are saying Livermore should be dropped .....he hasn’t

Krov scored v barnsley DROPPED
Austin scored v blues DROPPED
Kanu scored v boro DROPPED
Townsend scored v West Ham DROPPED

I haven’t seen one fan asking for furlong to be dropped, he’s been one of our best players...guess what ?

To me it’s clear that the manager is making many strange d3cisions and refuses to make the obvious one ....
Opinions eh?
I agree, Furlong has hardly put a foot wrong and buzzes about keeping them guessing when we are going forward, maybe it was because he was Bilic's "discovery" that Ferguson kept getting picked.  Townsend being dropped for Cardif was nonsensical, and surely Austin after his 2 at Blues deserved a start or two at least, the adrenalin alone would have got him going surely.  I've gone from Johnstone is our best goalie to he needs dropping since Xmas, I'm afraid he has lost any confidence he ever had.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1161 on: January 30, 2020, 12:16:33 PM »
I agree, Furlong has hardly put a foot wrong and buzzes about keeping them guessing when we are going forward, maybe it was because he was Bilic's "discovery" that Ferguson kept getting picked.  Townsend being dropped for Cardif was nonsensical, and surely Austin after his 2 at Blues deserved a start or two at least, the adrenalin alone would have got him going surely.  I've gone from Johnstone is our best goalie to he needs dropping since Xmas, I'm afraid he has lost any confidence he ever had.

the furlong one is baffling to me, unless he is carrying a knock it makes no sense whatsoever, I dont necessarily think a forward scoring makes them undroppable for the next game, however Austins 2 @ blooze should have got him a game to replicate it at least.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1162 on: January 30, 2020, 12:23:59 PM »
the furlong one is baffling to me, unless he is carrying a knock it makes no sense whatsoever, I dont necessarily think a forward scoring makes them undroppable for the next game, however Austins 2 @ blooze should have got him a game to replicate it at least.
I suspect Ferguson played instead of Townsend at Cardiff to ensure we had a fit. L/B for Saturday.
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1163 on: February 01, 2020, 07:23:10 AM »
Biggest load of tosh, I have read for a while. Only mistake last night was playing it out from the back in the lead up to the second goal. Plenty of others who need the figure pointing before you get to the keeper. Bartley as RCB has never worked and Billic should now that by now!

Problem is it this was the main mistake that led to the goal. And his mistakes are costing us goals nearly every game now.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1164 on: February 01, 2020, 10:03:18 AM »
Can anyone remember Sam being linked with another club since joining us?
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1165 on: February 01, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »
Problem is it this was the main mistake that led to the goal. And his mistakes are costing us goals nearly every game now.

Bartley was at total fault for that goal - he had time and space but his pass was shocking. Cannot understand Sam getting the blame for that
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

Marcus

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1166 on: February 01, 2020, 10:32:46 AM »
I know we were very spoilt with Foster, and SJ is still relatively young in goal keeping terms at 26. However, I've seen no signs of improvement since he's been here. Whether that's a SJ issue or a fault with coaching who knows. I just don't see him getting any better though.

He seems to lack the "balls" for it and I don't think that is something you can coach. I noticed against Stoke that Butland was very active. You could tell the six yard box was his area and he was in charge. It was in stark contrast to Johnstone.

For a team with Premier League aspirations we need better. - Simple as that !

I still don't see him being dropped though  :(
Unspoilt By Progress

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1167 on: February 01, 2020, 10:35:04 AM »
I think he's getting worse nevermind not improving. He's just not good enough at this level.

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1168 on: February 01, 2020, 10:39:03 AM »
Villa fans at work tell me he was a good goalkeeper for them but they seem to have got promoted and have got to a cup final since they replaced him......

Anyway, it'll be nice to see Bond in goal today because surely no competent manager would continue to play Johnstone any further given his poor form and clean sheet record.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1169 on: February 01, 2020, 10:40:37 AM »
I am praying for Bond. I think the fanbase is rapidly running out of patience with SJ and if he's selected i imagine there will be collective groan throughout the ground which doesnt help anyone.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1170 on: February 01, 2020, 11:50:37 AM »
Bartley was at total fault for that goal - he had time and space but his pass was shocking. Cannot understand Sam getting the blame for that

Total fault? SJ clears it long and they don’t score.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1171 on: February 01, 2020, 12:15:01 PM »
Villa fans at work tell me he was a good goalkeeper for them but they seem to have got promoted and have got to a cup final since they replaced him......

Anyway, it'll be nice to see Bond in goal today because surely no competent manager would continue to play Johnstone any further given his poor form and clean sheet record.

Not sure thats because they replaced him to be fair, didn't he break a clean sheet record whilst he was with them?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Barrington

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1172 on: February 01, 2020, 12:27:46 PM »
Not sure thats because they replaced him to be fair, didn't he break a clean sheet record whilst he was with them?

I had no idea about that, but it surprises me that he managed it. I don't mean to be horrible to any player who puts the effort in but he's clearly not producing the goods for us and has regressed if anything.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1173 on: February 01, 2020, 07:34:17 PM »
Even today with Luton failing to force a save out of him it looked a bit of a mess. Half the team don't seem to like playing with him. Sawyers conceded a corner late on and then went mental at Johnstone, presumably for failing to come off his line and claim the ball. Constant shouting between the outfield players and the GK. Bilic seems set on keeping him in the first team until at least the summer though. Generally we have a pattern of play in which the defenders and keeper mess about with the ball and turn it over in dangers areas of the pitch, too often there is a reluctance to clear the ball and so many times basic clearances to allow the team to push up the pitch turn into chaos after we have miskicked the ball straight up into the air or chipped it barely outside our box. At least SJ finally kicked a few balls long today to get red of it when we needed to.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1174 on: February 01, 2020, 07:41:04 PM »
Yep, had very little to do but made a meal out of it.