Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662358 times)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #975 on: December 17, 2019, 01:18:10 PM »
I am constantly torn about the guy. There is absolutely no doubt he has made vital point winning saves (several away games) this season. Equally so the poor displays continue to haunt him; Birmingham on Saturday being a prime example.

I often think that we are too hard on Sam at times. We need to remember that we had Ben beforehand and he was in a different class. I get frustrated when the opposition score a worldie and some post comments about the fact he did not save it. Some even tell us what he is doing wrong and how he needs to improve. Perhaps they should pop along to the training ground and impart their wisdom :)

Having said that, the 2nd goal on Saturday was as soft as they come and I personally think that he could have got that. We need to look deeper as Dean should never have been allowed the header but Townsend did nothing to help the situation. I am not sure he could have done too much about the bullet header from Juke though...….

Overall I like him though, and I think he has improved this season. However I know that there is better out there. Struggling to think of too many keepers in the Championship who are better though. The only one I can think of is the racist chap [allegedly] at Leeds :) Anyone else??? 
MAGA!

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #976 on: December 17, 2019, 02:50:23 PM »
I often think that we are too hard on Sam at times. We need to remember that we had Ben beforehand and he was in a different class. I get frustrated when the opposition score a worldie and some post comments about the fact he did not save it. Some even tell us what he is doing wrong and how he needs to improve. Perhaps they should pop along to the training ground and impart their wisdom :)

Having said that, the 2nd goal on Saturday was as soft as they come and I personally think that he could have got that. We need to look deeper as Dean should never have been allowed the header but Townsend did nothing to help the situation. I am not sure he could have done too much about the bullet header from Juke though...….

Overall I like him though, and I think he has improved this season. However I know that there is better out there. Struggling to think of too many keepers in the Championship who are better though. The only one I can think of is the racist chap [allegedly] at Leeds :) Anyone else???
Think he should have done better on both occasions, on the 1st goal the Blues striker is inside the 6 yard area when he heads the ball but the issue for me is that the cross is a looped one and is in the air for approximately 4 seconds which is ample time for a goalkeeper to come and deal with.
Regarding the second goal he's at most 2 yards from his near post but gets beaten by a 15 yard header, the least said about his attempted dive the better.
I can move 6 yards in 4 seconds at 55 years of age with dodgy knees and a bad back so what excuse does a 26 year old athlete offer.😁

Equally Austin's winning goal is poor from a goalkeepers point, that's also a looped cross that's in the air quite a while, maybe it's the modern era of goalkeeping where the dont like coming of their line.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 03:00:52 PM by caravanc58 »

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #977 on: December 17, 2019, 07:53:20 PM »

So we had a good keeper and shouldn’t compare, and if we do we should go down the training ground and train him ourselves because we are too hard on him..but you think it was his fault for the second..
Assume you are going down the training ground?😊
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #978 on: December 21, 2019, 10:49:08 PM »
Good solid game today...... very quiet on his thread tonight, thank Christ.
It was getting tiresome.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #979 on: December 22, 2019, 12:09:25 AM »
Good solid game today...... very quiet on his thread tonight, thank Christ.
It was getting tiresome.
He made one decent save. Still not good enough.

johnnyg

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #980 on: December 22, 2019, 04:04:40 AM »
He made one decent save. Still not good enough.

Slaven seems to believe he is good enough and that is good enough for me ;D

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #981 on: December 22, 2019, 11:23:52 AM »
Slaven seems to believe he is good enough and that is good enough for me ;D

He could have taken a lesson from their keeper, he came out as far as the penalty spot to collect crosses yesterday.
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #982 on: December 26, 2019, 05:52:59 PM »
Excellent today and MOM. Kept us in it in the first half.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #983 on: December 26, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
Excellent today
Top marks
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #984 on: December 26, 2019, 06:05:28 PM »
Have been and still to some extent still am very critical of SJ. However credit where it is due, he made some excellent saves today, so well done and thanks. Still wish he would find the confidence and ability to dominate in his area though. He could single -handedly improve our defence by 50%

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #985 on: December 26, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »
Have been and still to some extent still am very critical of SJ. However credit where it is due, he made some excellent saves today, so well done and thanks. Still wish he would find the confidence and ability to dominate in his area though. He could single -handedly improve our defence by 50%
should have bolloked his defence after equaliser no one in six yard box to close down cross or mark goal scorer. Made some great save today which deserved 3 points let down by players in front of him.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #986 on: December 26, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »
Brilliant save first half low to his left, the rest I thought were good saves that we'd have been very upset if he had conceded. Also the time wasting (though under instruction) is extremely unwelcome against 3rd bottom.

We got right behind him today and he looked pleased with the plaudits.

Equaliser was scored at opposite end to us fans so will have to see it on TV but I do note it came from inside the 6 yard box again.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #987 on: December 26, 2019, 08:45:34 PM »
Brilliant save first half low to his left, the rest I thought were good saves that we'd have been very upset if he had conceded. Also the time wasting (though under instruction) is extremely unwelcome against 3rd bottom.

Equaliser was scored at opposite end to us fans so will have to see it on TV but I do note it came from inside the 6 yard box again.

Yeah that's about right, decent saves with a couple of very good ones in there. Sometimes he gets himself in trouble with a few parries but has made himself big today and I believe it was against Preston the other that springs to mind. He kept them out which is the main thing particularly today when Barnsley had an abundance of chances. Pleased to see a bit more of a positive rapport with the fans too.

I still criticise him fairly often but one of few head with head held high, well done. 

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #988 on: December 27, 2019, 12:30:32 AM »

I note you not being critical. Yes goal was inside 6 yard box but was from a low cross by player deep inside penalty-box to a player at front post who had a free shot. Nothing to do with a keeper not dominating his six yard box. Had to be defended by the men in front a lot better.

As said many good saves that would be expected. Apart from one early one that led to a follow up save, I was most impressed with how he not necessarily managed to save the shots but put them behind for a corner or out of dangers way. One at end of first half at near post was probably the stand-out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:12:45 AM by ronnie_allen »

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #989 on: December 27, 2019, 06:23:17 AM »
Here you go mate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfgMKDHOmX4
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #990 on: December 27, 2019, 07:25:44 AM »

I think our defenders need to have a look at how that goal came about. SJ was pretty helpless with that one.

He was excellent yesterday.
MAGA!

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #991 on: December 27, 2019, 08:11:18 AM »
It was actually Hegazi who left his man and wondered off to allow them to score in the six yard box SJ didn't step a foot wrong yesterday easily MOTM

Webby

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #992 on: December 29, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »
He is PETRIFIED to come for crosses or corners. It's embarrassing
Love, Live, Life, and I'm dead. - "Weezy F. Baby"

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #993 on: December 29, 2019, 04:00:07 PM »
You could see the Ayala goal coming , he was unmarked then pushed himself into a free area and Ajayi can't react in time . Stinks of Zonal marking , I'd have to see it again before I blame SJ for that.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #994 on: December 29, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »
Just been beat from 30 yards.  AGAIN.

New keeper in January.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #995 on: December 29, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »
Just been beat from 30 yards.  AGAIN.

New keeper in January.
I'm no fan but he kept us in that , have a look at Hegazi backing off first for that goal .
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

BAGGIES4LIFE

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #996 on: December 29, 2019, 05:07:04 PM »
We seem to concede from headers far too often, I can hardly bear to watch when corners come in, if they get it right they score.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #997 on: December 29, 2019, 05:45:33 PM »

To be fair he came for the corner. I wish he bloody didn’t though and understand why he doesn’t!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #998 on: December 29, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
Just not good enough overall. Never been so made so anxious by a goalkeeper.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #999 on: December 29, 2019, 06:07:29 PM »
You could see the Ayala goal coming , he was unmarked then pushed himself into a free area and Ajayi can't react in time . Stinks of Zonal marking , I'd have to see it again before I blame SJ for that.

Blaming SJ for that goal is a joke, if he had stayed on his line he would have been beaten, blame the defenders who lost their man.
Baggie in Southampton