Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 669045 times)

gazberg

• WBA Manager

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #925 on: December 11, 2019, 10:39:57 PM »
He should have done much better with shot as well for me. Was nowhere near top corner. It's either slow feet or poor positioning.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #926 on: December 11, 2019, 10:46:03 PM »
Sam kept us in game and immediately rectified his mistake in first half, but where were his team mates when bloke had freedom of park to shoot from just outside of the box?

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #927 on: December 11, 2019, 11:41:05 PM »
Our best player tonight.

Though that's not saying much.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #928 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:14 PM »
Our best player tonight.

Though that's not saying much.

Can assure you he wasn't.

He made a regulation save from a header near the end, everything else he did was poor.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #929 on: December 12, 2019, 12:15:09 AM »
You are entitled to your opinion, though as usual I disagree. So who was better?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #930 on: December 12, 2019, 12:25:36 AM »
You are entitled to your opinion, though as usual I disagree. So who was better?

Ajayi...

In fact none of the others cost us a goal so I could make an argument for any of them.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #931 on: December 12, 2019, 12:51:05 AM »

Ajayi...

In fact none of the others cost us a goal so I could make an argument for any of them.
Come on you
I ain’t his best fan either, but me and you could of jump the hoardings and got closer to the guy shooting because our boys just stood off him, if they close the shot doesn’t even come in
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Mikkyk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #932 on: December 12, 2019, 12:54:57 AM »
I was absolutely right behind the shot and there was a west brom player directly between him and the ball so he didn't see it until very late, whether that's poor positioning from SJ, bad closing down from us or unlucky is the judgement

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #933 on: December 12, 2019, 12:56:45 AM »
Come on you
I ain’t his best fan either, but me and you could of jump the hoardings and got closer to the guy shooting because our boys just stood off him, if they close the shot doesn’t even come in

He's 35 yards out, doesn't catch it sweetly, nowhere near going in the corner. There is no way that scenario should result in a goal irrespective of closing down. People keep asking when he's directly cost us? Well there you go. Tonight he cost us. He has got a serious problem with long range shots.

That wasn't all, the shot that hit the bar saw him rooted to the spot as usual. Luckily the Wigan played totally miscued the rebound. Then there is the save first half which was a good save, but it only came because he totally f****d up a tame shot straight at him.

If Austin doesn't get us out of the pooh the lad has just got us beat by 23rd in the league.

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #934 on: December 12, 2019, 01:55:33 AM »

He's 35 yards out, doesn't catch it sweetly, nowhere near going in the corner. There is no way that scenario should result in a goal irrespective of closing down. People keep asking when he's directly cost us? Well there you go. Tonight he cost us. He has got a serious problem with long range shots.

That wasn't all, the shot that hit the bar saw him rooted to the spot as usual. Luckily the Wigan played totally miscued the rebound. Then there is the save first half which was a good save, but it only came because he totally f****d up a tame shot straight at him.

If Austin doesn't get us out of the pooh the lad has just got us beat by 23rd in the league.

There might be one or two words in there that make sense but probably not. I get that you're not a Johnstone fan but that's, in my opinion of course, utter complete boll**ks. No mention of Ferguson standing still allowing a forward to stroll in and take the ball off him and the complete lack of closing down. As for being "rooted to the spot"...if he'd made a pointless dive he wouldn't have been in a position to save the header back.... no doubt you'd have blamed him for lying on the ground. Looking at other sites where people have marked the performances of the players, Johnstone receives the highest marks in all 3, but they probably don't have an agenda.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #935 on: December 12, 2019, 02:20:19 AM »
There might be one or two words in there that make sense but probably not. I get that you're not a Johnstone fan but that's, in my opinion of course, utter complete boll**ks. No mention of Ferguson standing still allowing a forward to stroll in and take the ball off him and the complete lack of closing down. As for being "rooted to the spot"...if he'd made a pointless dive he wouldn't have been in a position to save the header back.... no doubt you'd have blamed him for lying on the ground. Looking at other sites where people have marked the performances of the players, Johnstone receives the highest marks in all 3, but they probably don't have an agenda.

Did you go the game?

California Dreaming

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #936 on: December 12, 2019, 05:16:58 AM »
No. A 10000 mile round trip to Wigan on a Wednesday night is a bit much. However I watched it live, with the benefit of replays and am therefore entitled to an opinion. Does actually being present give you some special insight not available to me?

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #937 on: December 12, 2019, 08:07:56 AM »
Sam didn't cost us last night.If anything he won us a point by keeping us in the game.Most neutrals who will have watched that would say the same thing.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #938 on: December 12, 2019, 08:24:19 AM »
SJ is OK at close shot stopping.
His judgement about the flight of the ball from distances needs to improve.
When the ball is close, it doesn't have much chance to "move" in the air.
On long shots he has to be more alert and ready to get to it quickly and not just ball watch.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #939 on: December 12, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »

Did you go the game?
Going by your activity on here and your hunt for streams on a matchday I'd say you have missed a fair amount of games  yourself but we still listen and respect your opinion so lets not play the did you go card .
Only caught highlights of the game but I've always said long range is a weakness despite recent improvement in other areas , that said the defending before the strike is very poor .
It seems we as a team have to be bang at it protecting SJ to get the best out of him.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:44:34 AM by Dexy »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #940 on: December 12, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »
Yeah, absurd to say Sam cost us that.  He made a couple of brilliant saves, spilt one regulation save but made up for it.  Their goal was a decent effort, he saved it and it came off the post and hit his back and went in.  Just unlucky.  The build up to that was shocking as Ferguson just gave the ball away by standing still and waiting for it to come to him.

buzzingbaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #941 on: December 12, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
I thought Sam had a good game overall. I thought his footwork was excellent and always supported the team with an option. Be interesting to see how many touches/passes he actually made?

Also his reading of the game and anticipation off the line  was spot on.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #942 on: December 12, 2019, 11:44:49 AM »
Serious question and not meant to be snide in any way but does he need his eyes testing?
Maybe he has an issue picking up the flight of balls struck from a distance due to an imbalance of some sort in his vision?
Possibly easily corrected with appropriate contact lens or lenses?
Any opticians or optometrists, ophthalmologists  on here?  (go on surprise us all  8))
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #943 on: December 12, 2019, 12:22:56 PM »

Did you go the game?

Yes and you are totally wrong, we should have lost 4:1 except for Johnstones goal saving performance.

I suppose Brunt in goal would have suited you ;)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #944 on: December 12, 2019, 12:25:25 PM »
Serious question and not meant to be snide in any way but does he need his eyes testing?
Maybe he has an issue picking up the flight of balls struck from a distance due to an imbalance of some sort in his vision?
Any opticians or optometrists, ophthalmologists  on here?  (go on surprise us all  8))

Honestly, I think it's just down to him not being very mobile.  He doesn't move his feet enough really and when he dives there's no real stretch there sometimes.  If you look where his feet are when he takes off for a dive and where they end up they can be in the same place.  More like a tree falling to the ground than an actual dive.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #945 on: December 12, 2019, 12:33:09 PM »

I also mentioned this earlier on in this thread. Does anyone know if he wears contact lenses during games?
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #946 on: December 12, 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
Yes and you are totally wrong, we should have lost 4:1 except for Johnstones goal saving performance.

I suppose Brunt in goal would have suited you

I'd love to hear about these 4 goals we should have conceded 👀

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #947 on: December 12, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »
No need, if you were there :D

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #948 on: December 12, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »
No need, if you were there

There weren't any, hence your response.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #949 on: December 12, 2019, 06:33:03 PM »
Some people moaning about him but i thought he was unlucky with the goal. Nobody mentioned the Wigan goalie!.