Author Topic: Sam Johnstone  (Read 662009 times)

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Sam Johnstone
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2018, 04:05:03 PM »
At Ipswich it was all too obvious that we were time wasting and it cost us 2 (possibly 3) bookings. We need to be a lot cuter about
"managing" the closing stages.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
Poor for the goal yesterday.  Not a great shot,  straight at him and he dives and punches it to the only attacked in the box.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2018, 04:27:19 PM »
Still not convinced by this lad. If we get back in the Prem i'd like to see us go for Heaton instead.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2018, 05:58:12 PM »
Still hasn't conceded a penalty this year. Was that his third or fourth save from 12 yards?
O Albion we love you

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Still hasn't conceded a penalty this year. Was that his third or fourth save from 12 yards?

Penalty looked like it hit the post.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2018, 06:22:57 PM »
Wish he'd stop time wasting.  Pulis was rightly criticised for it but at least that was in the Prem against teams we needed to kill the game against.  This was against Rotherham, when we were two-nil up after 30 mins and we were clearly the better side.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »

Penalty looked like it hit the post.
it did, Johnstone dived the other way.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
Wish he'd stop time wasting.  Pulis was rightly criticised for it but at least that was in the Prem against teams we needed to kill the game against.  This was against Rotherham, when we were two-nil up after 30 mins and we were clearly the better side.

I'd be amazed if he was deciding to do that of his own volition, he'll be directed to go slow on goal kicks etc if we're ever 2 goals up. He just over-egged it.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2018, 11:44:13 PM »
it did, Johnstone dived the other way.

But how many penalties have we had against us now? Stoke blues rotherham? Still hasn't conceded a penalty
O Albion we love you

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2018, 10:43:35 AM »

I'm not sure he was time wasting - and it was rather rubbish from the referee to book him really - a warning would have been sufficient

Johnstone was waiting for someone to move into space to beat the press - unfortunately our outfield players seemed rather glued to their original positions

One thing I did notice yesterday was the amount of encouragement and praise he gets from Graeme Jones. I took note of several goal kicks yesterday where Jones immediately appeared to clap or put his thumb up to Johnstone when he had beaten the press
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »
Johnstone takes his time even when we're behind / level. I remember the Blackburn game he took his time then when we needed a goal. I think he's just so laid back I think that's the sort of character he is.

Nothing at all seems to bother him or knock him out of his stride. Not a bad thing for a goalkeeper.

Adamstv

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2018, 12:33:50 PM »
But how many penalties have we had against us now? Stoke blues rotherham? Still hasn't conceded a penalty

Norwich away as well

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2018, 06:07:36 PM »
Hopefully this clean sheet gives him the confidence boost needed for the second half of season. A consecutive clean sheet would do him World of good. Been flashes of a good keeper in there (he has some David James moments trying to play football) we have been spoilt by having foster of recent times who was and still is a class above
O Albion we love you

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #113 on: December 23, 2018, 07:58:48 PM »
We needed a replacement for Fozzie (because he was getting old).
Sam needs to cement his place by really commanding his box.

glosterbaggie

• WBA Coach

« Reply #114 on: December 23, 2018, 08:26:27 PM »
Hopefully this clean sheet gives him the confidence boost needed for the second half of season. A consecutive clean sheet would do him World of good. Been flashes of a good keeper in there (he has some David James moments trying to play football) we have been spoilt by having foster of recent times who was and still is a class above
Been watching Foster. Some of the goals he has let in for Watford. I would think Sam would have saved.I think he is a very good young keeper. We need a good solid CB like Olsson Gmac.Who wants to be here.And a RB of course.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell"
"You can't put a price on being able too live with yourself"As I said to a tory MP

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2018, 08:31:54 PM »
Been watching Foster. Some of the goals he has let in for Watford. I would think Sam would have saved.I think he is a very good young keeper. We need a good solid CB like Olsson Gmac.Who wants to be here.And a RB of course.
To replace one our excellent centre halves? Or as a replacement for Bartley?

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2018, 08:35:11 PM »
Have you noticed any of the outstanding saves he's made ? He is still top notch and a class above Johnstone and the vast majority of other GKs.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #117 on: December 24, 2018, 12:00:47 AM »
I have a Watford pal who says Foster has made a big difference this season. Still feel a bit sore the way he left. Its not just his keepers ability, he had a natural authority organising in the box.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #118 on: December 24, 2018, 12:34:40 AM »
Foster is superb, Johnstone is... Average, a decent reflex save keeper, dreadful from outside the box (Joe Hart suffers similarly) and very weak on crosses. Hopefully at 26, plenty of scope for improvement.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #119 on: December 24, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
Foster was the best keeper we've had down here for a long time.  I agree with Jaco, Johnston is a decent reflex save keeper but the rest of his game could be improved.  He had a good game Saturday to be fair to him.

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #120 on: December 24, 2018, 05:17:13 PM »
So far I'm really impressed with him - he's clearly a solid keeper and is still young so can improve. Foster was our best ever in my view, so he was never going to be replaced; but I don't think we could do much better than Johnstone.

BigFrank20

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #121 on: December 24, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
I strongly doubt Foster could have coped as well as Sam does with the new style 'play it out from the back' system. Foster only had one option in his kit bag and that was to lump it up long with the occasional lump it and bend it out to the wing. Very rarely did he look to roll or throw it out quickly 
BoingBoing, a Baggie born and a Baggie I shall die (one day)

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2018, 08:32:33 AM »
I wish people would stop trying to compare him to Foster. He has nowhere near his experience give him time to improve.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2018, 08:39:23 AM »
Easy to start seeing Foster through rose tinted glasses, yes he was a very good keeper for us, but he also had iffy spells, very good around his area and a commanding presence though.
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
Easy to start seeing Foster through rose tinted glasses, yes he was a very good keeper for us, but he also had iffy spells, very good around his area and a commanding presence though.

You don't need rose tinted glasses. He's still playing at the top level and winning Watford points virtually single handedly.