Author Topic: Luke Daniels Joins Scunthorpe  (Read 13544 times)

Dan

• WBA Coach

Luke Daniels Joins Scunthorpe
« on: June 16, 2011, 10:39:34 PM »
Is there any news about him, he never seems to be mentioned, yet we always seem to extend his contract. Given he's 23, turning 24 in the course of next season you'd have expected some news but its pretty strange. Aside from the fact he has the distinction of being the clubs longest serving player, and was on the bench a few times in the play off season he's never really challenged the first team, but we seem to extend his contract nonetheless.

So is it at all possible he could very well be our back up keeper next year? If not it all seems pretty pointless keeping him, certainly at a minimum as 3rd choice keeper. Or will we once again extend his contract and loan him out?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:17:12 PM by OldburyWBA »

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Luke Daniels
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:21:04 PM »
I didn't even know he was still our player
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:38:25 PM »
The lad runs the risk of being another Stuart Taylor type joke...

If i knew Staurt Taylor i'd slap him, disgrace of a "Pro" footballer!
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:08 PM »
The lad runs the risk of being another Stuart Taylor type joke...

If i knew Staurt Taylor i'd slap him, disgrace of a "Pro" footballer!

Would you believe that he actually has more appearances than Taylor already! Quiet comfortably as well.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 11:59:12 PM »
I've seen, Stuart is an utter disgrace. But Luke's position here is a strange one. If we were to get a top class keeper, then he could get some bench time and cup games, give the lad a chance. But if he's not good enough for that, why do we keep giving him a contract? seems very strange.

Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:03:29 AM »
maybe he has incriminating photos.......
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
Still fairly young for a keeper so could still be one for the future, despite being here since the dawn of time (well, 2004). He was unlucky this season with injuries, a injury before the season started prevented him being loaned to Bristol City and then he got injured later on in the season playing on loan for Bristol Rovers. He does seem a really odd case being our longest serving player, here for a whopping 7 years, yet has never made an appearance for us, instead being loaned out every year. I can't say if I rate him or not as I've never seen him play, but his contract does keep getting extended so he must be doing something right. We're after two new keepers apparently, so it doesn't look like he'll be our second choice, however Kiely's playing contract seems to have expired, so I'd expect him to take Deano's place in the 25 as third choice keeper. Perhaps loan him out with an immediate recall option if one of our keepers is injured.

Maybe we should ask Tramere or Shrewsbury fans what they thought of him?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:51:27 AM »
Who's stuart taylor?!
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

duncan

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 06:05:31 AM »
Who's stuart taylor?!

Profesional bench warmer

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »
Profesional bench warmer

Very rich profrssional bench warmer.

Just think of the stories he can tell his grandkids about sitting on the bench watching all the games he has.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
All the great keepers he saw as well.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 10:41:57 PM »
Aside from the fact he has the distinction of being the clubs longest serving player, and was on the bench a few times in the play off season he's never really challenged the first team, but we seem to extend his contract nonetheless.

Amazing to think that he's the only remaining player from our play off final squad against Derby just over four years ago!
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

duncan

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 08:53:28 AM »
All the great keepers he saw as well.

And all the grounds he visited - does he have a premier league champions medal?

RowleyBaggie2

• WBA Manager

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »
Yes, played quite often for Arsenal when Semen had problems.
I only go for the beer.

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 12:27:09 PM »
Who had semen problems?   :o
I've got those West Bromwich Blues!

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 03:58:07 PM »
http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/daniels-signs-new-albion-deal-735477.aspx

Signed a new 2 year contract.

Interesting as he is behind both Foster and Myhill and has never actually made an appearance for us. Must be comfortable warming the bench as at 25 he should really be playing first team football somewhere...

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2013, 04:02:02 PM »
The club rate him and although he is third choice he has a lot of experience from loan spells and I doubt he'll be sitting around kicking his heels for the next two years, i'm surprised he wasn't out on loan this season but is too good to be just playing the odd Under 21 game.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »
Have to say I thought he'd be leaving when Myhill signed a new contract.

From an Albion point of view its good because we have a top keeper as our first choice, an international keeper as 2nd choice and a talented number 3.

From Lukes point of view though I think it shows a lack of ambition.  He's 25 now so should be playing first team football somewhere.  Dont see the point of extending his contract to keep sending him out on loan.  May as well sell him and promote a kid from the U18s as number 3.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »
Basically his a pro backup keeper. He'll never make it here as No1 probably not even a No2, from what I've seen of him he is an average League 1 level goalkeeper. I'm not sure his ability is even Championship standard, definitely not higher end.

From his perspective he could be warming the bench at a Championship club, or playing for a League 1 or 2 club on pretty average money (for a footballer) or being paid pretty well to be a Premier League No 3.  He's chosen the latter and I don't blame him based upon his ability.

From our perspective we've got an okay goalkeeper as our No3, which is all we really need.  Perfect fit.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:03:37 PM by Signor_Maresca »
"This crack is really moreish."

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2013, 05:46:06 PM »
Basically his a pro backup keeper. He'll never make it here as No1 probably not even a No2, from what I've seen of him he is an average League 1 level goalkeeper. I'm not sure his ability is even Championship standard, definitely not higher end.

From his perspective he could be warming the bench at a Championship club, or playing for a League 1 or 2 club on pretty average money (for a footballer) or being paid pretty well to be a Premier League No 3.  He's chosen the latter and I don't blame him based upon his ability.

From our perspective we've got an okay goalkeeper as our No3, which is all we really need.  Perfect fit.

Looking at it from that perspective it makes sense, the only downside is that his presence might block a kid that is emerging from the academy although that said it is only two years and I suspect anyone in the academy is more than two years from a regular start.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 09:27:36 AM by standaman »
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 09:05:55 AM »
Slightly surprised why he has signed a new contract really, although from our point of view we have a third back up keeper who is of a half decent standrad.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

Luke Daniels
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »
A little surprised both him and Myhill chose to stay, but I guess it's different being an outfield player and a goalkeeper.

An outfield player would think, "I want to go and play games so I'm going to move on because I shouldn't be a bench warmer". A goalkeeper however understands that only one of them can play from the squad so they are always likely to spend some of their career sitting on the bench or maybe being third choice. I guess then the decision comes down to whether your settled in the area, your family is happy, you get on well with the other 'keepers, enjoy working with the coach and like coming into training everyday. I guess that if all of those needs are satisfied here then neither Myhill or Daniels have a desire to move on.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »
I'm not sure what was left on his contract but i do wonder if this extension is to get a better fee for him in the same way we tried with Bednar and Cech ?

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

A5HB

• Reserve Baggie

Luke Daniels
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »
I'm not sure what was left on his contract but i do wonder if this extension is to get a better fee for him in the same way we tried with Bednar and Cech ?
Not sure that's the situation, think the club just genuinely wanted to try to keep our current group of 3 'keepers together for the next few years.

AlbionLegend

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »

Can't imagine Daniels fee (if sold) would be that much to worry about to warrant a new contract, but who knows!