Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 778907 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #275 on: July 13, 2011, 06:20:50 PM »
In my opinion, it depends how desperate Birmingham City are financially, I too was a little shocked to see Roger Johnson leave for Wolves at that price but maybe their worries are worse than first feared. If Ben Foster is our number one target, which is still possible at the moment, I'd look to play hard ball with Birmingham in lowering the asking price. If the Blues board are sticking to their guns then I don't see no reason as to why we couldn't send one or two players in their direction. There could possibly be a learning curve in there for Luke Daniels and possibly one or two others, be that on loan or permanently.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #276 on: July 13, 2011, 09:04:39 PM »
Blues wanted 7mil and wolves paid 6.8 apparently.
And the Blues also said to the press/public that Johnson would not be sold for under £10 million. They lied, and accepted an offer much cheaper.
They haven't even put a price on Foster but lets say they do the same - £10 million, it means we should get him for £7 million.
Also isn't he on add-ons, so if they sell now they also save £2 million on fee's. Quite a large amount.

The Blues ARE struggling for money. Larsson, Johnson and Gardner have all gone for little over £10 million. We should DEFINITELY make a bid for Foster. They should fold.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #277 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:57 PM »
No way on earth would we pay £7m for him.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

cads_ap_albion

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #278 on: July 13, 2011, 09:15:37 PM »
we're getting green..... forget foster.  green = cheaper option.
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #279 on: July 13, 2011, 10:17:06 PM »
we're getting green..... forget foster.  green = cheaper option.
I´d like to think we´re looking at better, rather than cheaper.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #280 on: July 14, 2011, 12:19:57 AM »
And the Blues also said to the press/public that Johnson would not be sold for under £10 million. They lied, and accepted an offer much cheaper.
They haven't even put a price on Foster but lets say they do the same - £10 million, it means we should get him for £7 million.
Also isn't he on add-ons, so if they sell now they also save £2 million on fee's. Quite a large amount.

The Blues ARE struggling for money. Larsson, Johnson and Gardner have all gone for little over £10 million. We should DEFINITELY make a bid for Foster. They should fold.

Larsson was out of contract so no fee involved, he moved on a free.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

lordbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2011, 12:30:53 AM »
You sure? I thought we had him on loan for a season first then signed him the following?

Miller was a loan with an OPTION to purchase at a pre agreed price (therefore not a binding agreement to buy)

I think this was also true for the Bednar and Tamas purchases.

Whereas the Moore purchase and the sales of PIG, Greening and Valero were binding.

Allegedly  :D

dinkydave2003

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »
so the money we 'saved' from walking away from vaughan to help fund the foster has been put to good use!!!
When you're sitting on the top, its hard to hear you from way up here.

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2011, 08:53:17 AM »
Surprise Surprise! Ben Foster is too expensive according to CL. I could have told you that months ago.
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2011, 08:58:15 AM »
Too expensive? The usual posturing by selling and buying clubs if you ask me. This one could drag ooooon!
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

JDWest_Brom

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2011, 09:06:34 AM »
Too expensive? The usual posturing by selling and buying clubs if you ask me. This one could drag ooooon!

Not with a cheaper option still available in Green.

Aren't Villa on the verge of signing Given?
Izzy Brown? Yes he is!

Kicking Pigeons

« Reply #286 on: July 14, 2011, 09:09:49 AM »
so the money we 'saved' from walking away from vaughan to help fund the foster has been put to good use!!!
I think that was little more than a rumour/presumption. I'm pretty sure we pulled out of the Vaughan signing because he demanded a guarantee of being in the starting 11 every week.

dinkydave2003

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #287 on: July 14, 2011, 09:58:45 AM »
I think that was little more than a rumour/presumption. I'm pretty sure we pulled out of the Vaughan signing because he demanded a guarantee of being in the starting 11 every week.
not according to people on here!! the money was to be used to fund the foster transfer / wages etc apparently!!
fact of the matter is the vaughan deal breaking down had nothing to do with foster transfer.

dinkydave2003

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #288 on: July 14, 2011, 10:01:51 AM »
As I said on page 5 of this thread, he will be signing for us. This is the first time and probably the last time that I am ITK. It'll probably be a loan rather than a full signing but barring a massive cockup he will be coming, and will be a fantastic signing in my opinion.

you still certain about this one??
not having a go, just you seemed pretty certain. wondered if you'd heard anything from your source?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #289 on: July 14, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »
as much as i would like WBA to play hard ball and wait longer for the price to drop its a risky game!

firstly we dont want someone else to snap him up, & secondly we need a keeper asap and if this deal doesnt materialise we dont want to be stuck with what weve got
O Albion we love you

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #290 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:47 AM »
You can see the search for a keeper at the right price going to the wire, the longer blues have Foster the lower his price will drop
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Zebidee

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #291 on: July 14, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
Longer we wait to try get foster cheaper.. The more chance we got of losing green to another team and also maybe losing out on both then... And we don't want that :(
* Formerly known as Satisfcuktion *

WorcsWBA

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #292 on: July 14, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »
as much as i would like WBA to play hard ball and wait longer for the price to drop its a risky game!

firstly we dont want someone else to snap him up, & secondly we need a keeper asap and if this deal doesnt materialise we dont want to be stuck with what weve got

Good points - it doesn't seem like it's the case that we can't afford Foster but that we're not willing to pay what Blues want for him. Obviously they regard signing someone now (Green) as more important than waiting a couple of weeks for Foster's price to come down. How much will it come down in a couple of weeks though, you have to wonder?

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #293 on: July 14, 2011, 11:57:02 AM »
not dramaticly! the window doesnt shut to the end of august so they wont start panicking and dropping the price til early august i guess!

id be happy enough with green hes still a step up from carson and myhill!

plus if that frees funds for a striker and another centre back all is fine with me
O Albion we love you

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #294 on: July 14, 2011, 12:06:33 PM »
Unless we are keeping this quiet I'm amazed we still haven't put a bid in for him, A great goalkeeper who without a doubt would be an improvement on what we've had in previous seasons. I'm worried that if we play hard ball with the asking price then we are going to miss out on him. We should be striving to sign the best players that are available to strengthen and I don't think a player can be much more available than when he has been relegated with a team.

Mooncat

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #295 on: July 14, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »
I still think the best optin for all parties would be a season long loan deal with Myhill going the other way as part of the package.
Blues then have the option of him returning next year should they get promoted.
Foster is still playing in the Prem should he decide to come out of international retirement, and his form warrants selection.
We don't end up massively out of pocket and can sign a more experienced keeper (like Macho) as backup.

There don't seem to be many clubs lining up to take him so if that eased their wage bill for the year I think they'd certainly consider it

Jeremy Roland Peace

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #296 on: July 14, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
why would Blues lower the asking price on Foster.

they've just sold Johnson for 7million, Dann looks like he is going for even more money than that and Zigic will probably be sold because of his high wages.

if anything the further into the transfer window it goes the price will stay the same or go up

Baggie Artist

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #297 on: July 14, 2011, 01:39:56 PM »
I still think the best optin for all parties would be a season long loan deal with Myhill going the other way as part of the package.
Blues then have the option of him returning next year should they get promoted.
Foster is still playing in the Prem should he decide to come out of international retirement, and his form warrants selection.
We don't end up massively out of pocket and can sign a more experienced keeper (like Macho) as backup.

There don't seem to be many clubs lining up to take him so if that eased their wage bill for the year I think they'd certainly consider it

Him having an amazing season and then having to give him back to Blues wouldn't go down too well.

I still don't see why a goalkeeper who has only had  two good Premier League seasons for struggling clubs is worth £7 million.

Axel Foley

« Reply #298 on: July 14, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »
He cost £4m (rising to £6m) in the first place, on the back of one good season at a relegated club (Watford) and year making a handful of appearances for Man Utd. So you have to gauge how much a further two very good seasons adds to his value.

Didn't Man Utd sign The Pig on the back of a relegation season?

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #299 on: July 14, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
He cost £4m (rising to £6m) in the first place, on the back of one good season at a relegated club (Watford) and year making a handful of appearances for Man Utd. So you have to gauge how much a further two very good seasons adds to his value.

Didn't Man Utd sign The Pig on the back of a relegation season?

They also let Foster go & kept the pig so there for in sir AF eyes the pig must have been the better keeper.