Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 778863 times)

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #2250 on: September 18, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
"If he isn't 100% he shouldn't be playing"

But if you're a new signing it's different?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2251 on: September 18, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »
"If he isn't 100% he shouldn't be playing"

But if you're a new signing it's different?
But we are talking of an actual injury, not match fitness. The only way you get match fit is by playing
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

chipperclark

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2252 on: September 19, 2014, 02:34:19 AM »
This criticism of Ben Foster is a very unfair I think.  He is the best keeper that I have ever seen up the Albion! 

Last season some were saying that he was player of the season?  (I am sure that I read it somewhere on here).  Because he is standing up for his colleague and club captain (I would do exactly the same if I were in his shoes) people jump on him! 

Myhill is not as good as Foster.  Not in a milion years.

Don't push him out guys!
;D So agree with this post......How many times has Foster saved our arses??? He is World Class and if anyone says differently they are mugs.
I can count on 1 hand how many errors have lead to goals from his fault and I can count "hundreds" of times he has averted danger to our goal in the last couple of years.
Maybe we should bring Crichton back???? 8)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2253 on: September 19, 2014, 05:19:02 AM »
Foster made one excellent save against Everton with the hand he has the injury on so I don't think it's causing him any real problems. His performances haven't been up to standard of late but with that said who's have been?

The question of his distribution is an interesting one. His clearances and kicks have always seen the odd few go all over the place but since he got the injury at Everton last year it has got much worse.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2254 on: September 19, 2014, 05:22:09 AM »
Foster made one excellent save against Everton with the hand he has the injury on so I don't think it's causing him any real problems. His performances haven't been up to standard of late but with that said who's have been?

The question of his distribution is an interesting one. His clearances and kicks have always seen the odd few go all over the place but since he got the injury at Everton last year it has got much worse.

Re his kicking you'd think he would get advised to abandon the Brunt wide header and just keep the ball in the field of play.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2255 on: September 19, 2014, 05:27:33 AM »
Re his kicking you'd think he would get advised to abandon the Brunt wide header and just keep the ball in the field of play.

Just one of the advantages for dropping Brunt  ;)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2256 on: September 19, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
Just one of the advantages for dropping Brunt  ;)

He does it to the other wing if Brunt has been subbed, or a smaller wide player if Brunt isn't picked.

Morany

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2257 on: September 19, 2014, 02:57:36 PM »
He does it to the other wing if Brunt has been subbed, or a smaller wide player if Brunt isn't picked.

Do you have a setting on your westbrom.com profile that sends you an email when someone types the word Brunt?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:00:44 PM by Morany »
It's Yow Rondon-don, it's yow Rondon!

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2258 on: September 19, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »
Pump it straight up the middle and watch it come flying back. Going wide or having confidence in the back four bringing it out are clearly the best options.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2259 on: September 19, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »
Do you have a setting on your westbrom.com profile that sends you an email when some one types the word Brunt?  ;D

He quoted my post?

Dudleylad

• WBA Chairman

« Reply #2260 on: September 19, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
Pump it straight up the middle and watch it come flying back. Going wide or having confidence in the back four bringing it out are clearly the best options.

This is correct in my view as a goalkeeper in the modern game they always tend to play out from the back four or aim wide to bring others into play.

The old fashioned hoof up the middle really has not been a regular option for any side for years even Stoke.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2261 on: September 19, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »
said a 100 times, Foster is good, but just good not world class, also not beyond mistakes and silly errors , southampton at home last year jumps out as well as woeful distribution at times.
Quite rate myhill, if we sold foster for 10-12mil and played myhill i wouldnt be worried
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

baggie53

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2262 on: September 19, 2014, 08:17:27 PM »
said a 100 times, Foster is good, but just good not world class, also not beyond mistakes and silly errors , southampton at home last year jumps out as well as woeful distribution at times.
Quite rate myhill, if we sold foster for 10-12mil and played myhill i wouldnt be worried
Agree
Vorwärts die Breiten Hosen !

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2263 on: September 20, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
We would never get that much for Foster. Myhill is decent enough but I'm not sure I would want to have him playing every week as I dont think he is as good as Foster.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

baggieman0

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2264 on: September 20, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »
I think that like goalscorers, 'keepers are confidence players and there is no confidence in the whole team at the moment, you've only got to look at the team sheets to see why we have picked up this season where we left off last. The team is bereft of any new ideas. Foster is a really good 'keeper, he is the best I have seen in my time going up there (currently 22 years) and I am glad he has stuck up for Brunt as this says to me that there is maybe some sort of team spirit there.

I am still hopeful that one win may make a huge difference, although this hope is fading after each woeful performance.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2265 on: September 20, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
We would never get that much for Foster. Myhill is decent enough but I'm not sure I would want to have him playing every week as I dont think he is as good as Foster.
Think we would..
I think Myhill is boring in a nice way , just does the job , Foster is a good shot stopper but sometimes he just goes a bit awire..
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

BaggiesFacts

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2266 on: September 20, 2014, 04:59:10 PM »
Foster just like every other player in our team is susceptible to the odd mistake, it obviously just gets noted more as a goalkeeper.

Trust me if you give Myhill a full season compared to Foster the errors column for the Welshman would be more than double that of Foster's, they're on different levels.

Not to say Myhill isn't a good enough backup though.
WBAFC - 1878

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2267 on: September 29, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »
Would-be WAGs descend on charity shop where England player Ben Foster donated wife's designer clothes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2773466/Would-WAGs-descend-charity-shop-England-player-Ben-Foster-donated-wife-s-designer-clothes.html

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2268 on: December 21, 2014, 01:20:28 PM »
If Ben Foster could come and command his area better we'd have won that game easily. He has been poor for a while now. Deserves a lot more criticism than he has received, far more than Irvine yet this thread is dormant while Irvine's is a hotbed of vilifications. He may be a fan's favourite but it doesn't excuse some of his performances.

Cattermole's goal he should have done better.
Mirallas' for Everton.
Wellbeck's for Arsenal.
First Swansea goal.
Should be catching that one against QPR as well as commanding his area much better from crosses and corners. His kicking has been really poor.
6 clean sheets and only one performance of note in a defeat to Chelsea.

Not good enough.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 01:22:59 PM by KingKoren »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2269 on: December 21, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure 6 clean sheets for a club in our position IS good enough!

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2270 on: December 21, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure 6 clean sheets for a club in our position IS good enough!

It is. But how many were because of him?

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2271 on: December 21, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »
It is. But how many were because of him?

I couldn't tell you, what I do know is that he's made some cracking saves this season.

Nobody is exempt from criticism though and his distribution this season is poor, which is something that in the past has been one of his strengths.

Myhill is worthy competition though and Foster should only ever be a mistake or 2 away from finding himself on the bench.

KingKoren

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2272 on: December 21, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »
I couldn't tell you, what I do know is that he's made some cracking saves this season.

Nobody is exempt from criticism though and his distribution this season is poor, which is something that in the past has been one of his strengths.

Myhill is worthy competition though and Foster should only ever be a mistake or 2 away from finding himself on the bench.

The fundamental point here is this man, who we all know is a good keeper, has not played up to his standards this season, yet remains immune to criticism. All I expect is a bit of fairness when apportioning blame. It can't always be Irvine's fault simply because he is head coach, it's such an antiquated way of thinking. Recruitment, individuals, club structure and yes the head coach all are factors. It's so reductionist that the sum of the majority of people's analysis is to blame the head coach entirely for anything wrong (or Dorran's and Irvine if you're Jacko).

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2273 on: December 21, 2014, 03:16:14 PM »
Great save to stop Austin from getting his hat trick earlier in the game.

He has his faults, didn't he drop out from the England set up originally partly because of the way they had him clearing the ball and has subsequently had operations to try and sort kicking problems?

Myhill is a good keeper too and an excellent back up but he has been back up for a long time for a reason.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2274 on: December 21, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
I don't understand why he was trying to punch the ball under no pressure, just catch it for god sake. Then he makes a massive mess of it and Morrison gives away a cheap pen. Foster's error started the demise. Didn't seem to bother him mind, busy smiling and laughing away during the second half! I agree with the poster who brought his performances up; he's not been good enough this season. Too many mistakes, needs a rollicking like a few others.