Author Topic: Next West Brom Head Coach  (Read 549464 times)

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

Re: Next West Brom Head Coach
« Reply #2325 on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:01 AM »
Could today finally be the day?

Foster#1

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2326 on: June 13, 2014, 09:57:56 AM »
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/2014/06/13/west-brom-prepared-to-allow-tim-sherwood-to-bring-his-own-staff/?

Both Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey are set to join Sherwood at the club if, as expected, he agrees a deal to take over the Baggies.

Ramsey has already met the Hawthorns hierarchy along with Sherwood while former England striker Ferdinand, who is currently on holiday, is also being lined up for a role on the Albion staff.

The trio worked together at Tottenham and look set to be reunited barring a late breakdown in contract negotiations.

The decision to allow Sherwood two of his own favoured lieutenants is a break with recent tradition for Albion and will inevitably raise doubts over the role of Keith Downing, although the former caretaker boss is expected to be named as Sherwood’s No.2.

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #2327 on: June 13, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
Could today finally be the day?

Well if it isn't then I will go from a "due diligence" fan to a "this is turning into a joke" type of fan.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2328 on: June 13, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »
Looks promising. Just get it done Albion!

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2329 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:59 AM »
Get it done today so I can collect my winning bet from the bookie! Sadly, it's only £12.50 profit, but I'll re-invest it on a World Cup bet :D

PsalmXXIII

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2330 on: June 13, 2014, 10:39:39 AM »
Why does Downing have to be a number 2? Why can't the new head coach pick his own assistant? Surely forcing someone to work with an assistant coach they've not met is counter productive? Mel wasn't allowed one either.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2331 on: June 13, 2014, 10:50:05 AM »
Why does Downing have to be a number 2? Why can't the new head coach pick his own assistant? Surely forcing someone to work with an assistant coach they've not met is counter productive? Mel wasn't allowed one either.
Beggars belief, how can he be lauded as such a good coach when players he is coaching get progressively worse?
I can put up with the timeframe, takes as long as it takes, but this Downing must stay thing baffles me. Can anyone give any good reason behind this thinking because I'm at a loss?

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2332 on: June 13, 2014, 10:53:09 AM »
There's got to come a time where Downing feels a burden and gets embarrassed that the club get into a disagreement with potential candidates because of him. 

ronny boy

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2333 on: June 13, 2014, 10:55:46 AM »
There's got to come a time where Downing feels a burden and gets embarrassed that the club get into a disagreement with potential candidates because of him.

Its called doing the right thing. Something Downing cant be familiar with.

Surely he'd get another coaching job elsewhere.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2334 on: June 13, 2014, 11:15:12 AM »
I have defended Downing quite a lot because i think he seems to be being made the scapegoat for last season, yet people dont seem to wish to praise him for seasons previous when we did well, basically dont praise him for good things, but slate him for bad things. RDM, Hodgson and Clarke all promoted him and i find it hard to believe those promotions would of been forced on them?

Also whatever the rights and wrongs, we got a decent points return under Kiely and Him over Xmas and also if reports are to be believed, it was those two who got us over the line and kept us up so i think he should be shown some respect and praised instead of been blamed for everything thats gone wrong, he deserves some of the flak without a doubt because of the coaching side such as Set pieces, etc, but i think it was Clarke who said the players were driving him mad because they worked on stuff all week long and went it came to games, they just didnt do it, that to me is the players, not the coaches. Also Downing has never signed a player for us as far as i know, he is in charge of coaching whatever the head coach / 'football department' put in front of him.

That said, i also would imagine if as rumoured it is insisted he is Sherwoods Number 2 then he must start to feel uncomfortable, if Sherwood is bringing in his own team then he will be friends with them, trust them, worked with them, etc before and yet there is a bloke who is his assistant by default really which isnt fair on Sherwood, Downing or the players. I could understand the insistence in a way for Downing to be kept on under Pepe Mel as he couldnt speak English, didnt know a lot about the Premier League and with an experiment like that it made sense to have a safe pair of hands, with Sherwood its different, he is bringing 2 or 3 of his people and unless he has requested Downing be his assistant then i cant see the point.

I can understand wanting to keep Downing at the club, i think if all goes t**ts up then its good to have that steady safe pair of hands who can step in, and its worked for other clubs in the past having 'a boot room' so to speak, it would appear Downings strengths and Coaching and players seem to like him, whether he could work jointly with the Academy and First Team on a coaching basis so there is a smooth progression up from them i dont know, or something like that has a purpose, but to be kept on in quite a senior role such as Assistant Manager because the club insist on it must be uncomfortable for all parties.

Again the above is a lot of rumour at the moment but if Downing does leave i hope he is given some respect for stepping up when needed.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 11:17:08 AM by Albion79 »

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2335 on: June 13, 2014, 11:15:30 AM »
Sherwood has agreed terms and they're sorting terms with Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsay who are both joining his backroom team when the deal is agreed. That's what Steve Madeley has tweeted. So we could assume if that is what has been discussed over the last 48 hours, we could get an announcement today/tomorrow. Ferdinand's on holiday but i guess they're Skyping and phoning
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2336 on: June 13, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
Les could be a very useful asset to have especially for our mis firing strikers
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2337 on: June 13, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »
Les could be a very useful asset to have especially for our mis firing strikers

Yes.
Hope he brings his boots
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2338 on: June 13, 2014, 11:40:06 AM »
Sherwood has agreed terms and they're sorting terms with Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsay who are both joining his backroom team when the deal is agreed. That's what Steve Madeley has tweeted. So we could assume if that is what has been discussed over the last 48 hours, we could get an announcement today/tomorrow. Ferdinand's on holiday but i guess they're Skyping and phoning

Wouldnt there agents just sort out the deal anyway?

Ferdinand would get in our starting 11 with our strikers

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2339 on: June 13, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
Steve madeley just tweeted this

Now being told Albion are still considering alternatives to Sherwood. Might just be trying to rattle his cage, but interesting. #wba

:o

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2340 on: June 13, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
Like I said last week, lways expct the unexpected at the Albion
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Lloydy

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2341 on: June 13, 2014, 11:49:34 AM »
Steve madeley just tweeted this

Now being told Albion are still considering alternatives to Sherwood. Might just be trying to rattle his cage, but interesting. #wba

:o

I'm still not 100% convinced that Sherwood is actually the number one choice.
No no, no no no no, no no no no, no no shots on target.......

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2342 on: June 13, 2014, 11:51:24 AM »
New head coach set to be appointed today at West Brom

West Brom: Tim Sherwood not the only name in the frame as Baggies Head Coach hunt nears a conlusion

West Bromwich Albion remain confident of appointing their new Head Coach later today.

But it now appears to be a two horse race, rather than a straight appointment of Tim Sherwood.

Sherwood was expected to have been unveiled by now but there have been rumours of an impasse over the financial terms offered to his  backroom team.

Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey both worked with Sherwood at Tottenham Hotspur.

It was clear from the outset that Sherwood would want to continue that partnership at his next job.

It would appear plenty of negotiation still needs to take place with Jeremy Peace keen to protect the existing coaching staff of Keith Downing and Dean Kiely.

The exit of Under-21 Coach David Oldfield to MK Dons offers no more than a chink of light with regards to Peace's ability to manoeuvre. Oldfield's role rarely touched the senior ranks and his salary won't come to anything like that wanted by Ferdinand or Ramsey.

Intriguingly, Albion are insistent that another name remains in the frame.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/west-brom-tim-sherwood-not-7264107

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2343 on: June 13, 2014, 11:52:12 AM »
I dont think he is first choice either, I still think that there is more to this saga

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2344 on: June 13, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »
@smadeley_star - Steve Madeley

Delay in Sherwood appointment seems to be over terms for Ferdinand and Ramsey. Sherwood happy with his own deal. #wba still confident.

Peace has decided that Sherwood is the man he wants. This, I suspect, means they will get past this snag, although it's frustrating. #wba

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #2345 on: June 13, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »
Wy do I get a feeling that Rene Girard is the other name and the left field one??

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2346 on: June 13, 2014, 11:55:30 AM »
Knowing our luck Hughton is probably the other man

Manager_Markets

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #2347 on: June 13, 2014, 11:57:37 AM »

baggie38

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2348 on: June 13, 2014, 11:57:51 AM »
I think the club are saying there is another contender in for the job to possibly rush Sherwood into signing. If there is another contender and should that other contender take the job at the expense of Sherwood then obviously he will remain unemployed and looking for another management job elsewhere. I may be totally wrong but it does sound like scare tactics on the clubs part. If there was someone else waiting in the wings ready to take the job from under Sherwoods nose im sure we would of heard of it a couple of days ago. Either way it does now sound as though we will hear something later on this afternoon.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2349 on: June 13, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
I have defended Downing quite a lot because i think he seems to be being made the scapegoat for last season, yet people dont seem to wish to praise him for seasons previous when we did well, basically dont praise him for good things, but slate him for bad things. RDM, Hodgson and Clarke all promoted him and i find it hard to believe those promotions would of been forced on them?

Also whatever the rights and wrongs, we got a decent points return under Kiely and Him over Xmas and also if reports are to be believed, it was those two who got us over the line and kept us up so i think he should be shown some respect and praised instead of been blamed for everything thats gone wrong, he deserves some of the flak without a doubt because of the coaching side such as Set pieces, etc, but i think it was Clarke who said the players were driving him mad because they worked on stuff all week long and went it came to games, they just didnt do it, that to me is the players, not the coaches. Also Downing has never signed a player for us as far as i know, he is in charge of coaching whatever the head coach / 'football department' put in front of him.

That said, i also would imagine if as rumoured it is insisted he is Sherwoods Number 2 then he must start to feel uncomfortable, if Sherwood is bringing in his own team then he will be friends with them, trust them, worked with them, etc before and yet there is a bloke who is his assistant by default really which isnt fair on Sherwood, Downing or the players. I could understand the insistence in a way for Downing to be kept on under Pepe Mel as he couldnt speak English, didnt know a lot about the Premier League and with an experiment like that it made sense to have a safe pair of hands, with Sherwood its different, he is bringing 2 or 3 of his people and unless he has requested Downing be his assistant then i cant see the point.

I can understand wanting to keep Downing at the club, i think if all goes t**ts up then its good to have that steady safe pair of hands who can step in, and its worked for other clubs in the past having 'a boot room' so to speak, it would appear Downings strengths and Coaching and players seem to like him, whether he could work jointly with the Academy and First Team on a coaching basis so there is a smooth progression up from them i dont know, or something like that has a purpose, but to be kept on in quite a senior role such as Assistant Manager because the club insist on it must be uncomfortable for all parties.

Again the above is a lot of rumour at the moment but if Downing does leave i hope he is given some respect for stepping up when needed.
Not blaming him for all that has gone wrong, as you say he does not sign players, he does however coach them, therefore think it is fair to question if he is actually any good at it if the performances decline.
I'm all for continuity provided we are showing consistent improvement, if not then all involved have to be open to question.