Author Topic: Chris Brunt  (Read 764908 times)

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

Re: Chris Brunt
« Reply #3175 on: November 10, 2018, 08:07:47 PM »
Not sure its the end for him, he's been played out of position. His experience and ability will become prominent towards the end of the season but only in his proper position

100% right.
Cm has never and will never be his position. Out wide be it full back or left wing he will
Still offer us something.
O Albion we love you

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3176 on: November 10, 2018, 08:09:05 PM »
He's better playing on the left as always. Not saying he will be a starter there but thats his best position.

I do believe its the beginning of the end for him though
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

barnestormer

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3177 on: November 10, 2018, 08:09:43 PM »
Darren Moore made a rod for his own back making him capt and then feeling the need to shoe him in at all costs

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3178 on: November 10, 2018, 08:11:56 PM »
While I thought we did brilliantly today, I think bringing on Brunt for Morrisson for the last 10-15 minutes would have been a good sub with Leeds pushing on.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3179 on: November 10, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
He's better playing on the left as always. Not saying he will be a starter there but thats his best position.

I do believe its the beginning of the end for him though

It should have been the beginning of the end a long time ago. Great servant but should have been replaced a while back.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3180 on: November 10, 2018, 09:27:24 PM »
While I thought we did brilliantly today, I think bringing on Brunt for Morrisson for the last 10-15 minutes would have been a good sub with Leeds pushing on.

Rather have Barry for that every time, proper central midfielder not someone shoehorned in

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3181 on: November 11, 2018, 11:48:27 AM »
Rather have Barry for that every time, proper central midfielder not someone shoehorned in
Normally I'd agree but we had the game won and Leeds were leaving all sorts of gaps at the back.  I'm being greedy and wanting more goals but if it was a narrow game then yeah, Barry.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3182 on: November 11, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »
Fantastic servant for the club,lot of respect for him and what he's done for us but surely his last year here regardless of division. This is wba though so who knows.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3183 on: November 11, 2018, 12:19:41 PM »
I'm wondering where Jacko has gone. Not been seen since the game yesterday. It must've really hurt him for us to perform like that without  Brunt in the team.  ;D :P

On a serious note, Brunt may well offer us something as the season goes on but there should be no place for him in the starting eleven unless we have an injury crisis. That said he may be better in midfield as part of a three.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:41:02 PM by Dexy »

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #3184 on: November 11, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
I'm wondering where Jacko has gone. Not been seen since the game yesterday. It must've really hurt him for us to perform like that without Brunt in the team.  ;D :P

On a serious note, Brunt may well offer us something as the season goes on but there should be no place for him in the starting eleven unless we have an injury crisis. That said he may be better in midfield as part of a three.

I got a feeling he may on an enforced holiday over a remark he made earlier in the week
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:41:25 PM by Dexy »
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #3185 on: November 11, 2018, 12:28:25 PM »
I would stick him on the bench until January where our number 1 target needs to be the missing midfielder we are craving and have craved for a couple of years. If we are sticking with the 4 at the back which suited us better yesterday then at least he is cover for Gibbs.

Sentiment is fine but the time comes when players have to be moved on or put on the bench, so far this season he has offered very little in a role that he is simply not good enough to perform.

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3186 on: November 11, 2018, 12:37:19 PM »
just don t play him in the central midfield. 100% improvement yesterday so don't change it.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3187 on: November 11, 2018, 12:41:54 PM »
Shouldn't be anywhere near first team and would struggle to get on bench imo.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3188 on: November 11, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
Shouldn't be anywhere near first team and would struggle to get on bench imo.
I said that about Kanu.
He proved me wrong.
I agree though, Brunt has passed his "use by date".

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3189 on: November 11, 2018, 01:11:29 PM »
Brunty off the bench for me. In this 433 he covers the wide players, left back and cm if absolute needs must.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3190 on: November 11, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
Brunty off the bench for me. In this 433 he covers the wide players, left back and cm if absolute needs must.

The trouble with him being on the bench is that the temptation is always there for Big Dave to bring him on when there's no need. He can't seem to resist.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3191 on: November 11, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »
The trouble with him being on the bench is that the temptation is always there for Big Dave to bring him on when there's no need. He can't seem to resist.

Dave has tended to go with his three oldest substitutes this season (or two oldest and Robson-Kanu), so he'd probably get on.

That being said, Harper got a couple of minutes yesterday, so maybe he's coming to his senses all round.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3192 on: November 29, 2018, 12:55:16 PM »
CB out of team - points tally = 9/9  discuss !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3193 on: November 29, 2018, 12:57:12 PM »
I don't think the 2 points you make are as directly linked as that. Facts are facts however. CB should no longer be in our team; all good things come to an end and he no longer makes a positive difference when he plays.

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3194 on: November 29, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
CB out of team - points tally = 9/9  discuss !

Correlation does not imply causation.

The fact is that we have changed system and tactics; if Brunt was playing instead of Morrison, we might well have achieved the same.

If literally the only difference was Brunt, I would say you have a point. But it's like the season he had a few injury problems in the Premier League. We had a better win percentage with him out the team, but the games he wasn't fit for were Sunderland, Fulham, etc, and the ones he was fit for were Chelsea, Liverpool, City, etc.

It's a stat bereft of context.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3195 on: November 29, 2018, 01:13:34 PM »
Correlation does not imply causation.

The fact is that we have changed system and tactics; if Brunt was playing instead of Morrison, we might well have achieved the same.

If literally the only difference was Brunt, I would say you have a point. But it's like the season he had a few injury problems in the Premier League. We had a better win percentage with him out the team, but the games he wasn't fit for were Sunderland, Fulham, etc, and the ones he was fit for were Chelsea, Liverpool, City, etc.

It's a stat bereft of context.

For context then, CB out of team when we are playing with four at the back = 9 points from 9.
a) Would you bring CB back in with a back 4 ?
b) would you bring CB back in if we revert to 3 at the back ?

Personally I think we have given CB 1 season too long already, he has been a great servant, BUT, I would cut him loose in the new year, if he can get a gig at Rangers or somewhere else, let him go with our blessings
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3196 on: November 29, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »
Unbelievable that there are so many people keen to knock Chris Brunt. He has been a tremendous player for our club for many years, loyalty sadly lacking in most players these days. He has been played out of position in a formation unsuited to the whole team. Play him wide if, say, Barnes is injured and he will deliver again. Super CB!

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3197 on: November 29, 2018, 05:26:52 PM »
Results is mainly due to the system change, the defence actually looks reasonable now. They were a disaster up to the change. All teams had to do was cut off the passing options and we'd create most of their attacks for them.

With that said, even when he was younger brunt was never much use in central midfield. It's not a good role for him and doesn't suit him. At his age expecting him to suddenly star there in a 2 man midfield was hopeful at best. Great servant to the club though and still has a role to play

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #3198 on: November 29, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »
Unbelievable that there are so many people keen to knock Chris Brunt. He has been a tremendous player for our club for many years, loyalty sadly lacking in most players these days. He has been played out of position in a formation unsuited to the whole team. Play him wide if, say, Barnes is injured and he will deliver again. Super CB!
You could play him wide but Barnes is one of our front 3 in this system, Brunt is more left sided midfielder these days. It probably wouldn't happen but we'd be better off giving one of the younger brigade with pace a chance as pace to threaten the opposition is important.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3199 on: November 29, 2018, 06:28:29 PM »
Brunt is ideal to bring on if you need a goal with fifteen minutes to go, send him out wide, let him whip in crosses. Wide left or wide right.

It remains to be seen if he can play in a three man midfield I wouldn't rule out the possibility but equally I'd be in no hurry to see it.