Author Topic: Ben Foster  (Read 772034 times)

Standaman

• WBA Coach

Re: Ben Foster
« Reply #1775 on: June 20, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
I tell you what if we dont keep foster , it`s a 15-20 point mistake, he is well worth 5 million, give them the money albion. >:(

For it to be a 15 to 20 point mistake would imply the alternative to Foster would be terrible that is not the case. Foster might be the best keeper we could sign but there are alternatives which would cost less than £5m who a perfectly competent.

Birmingham have to sell or loan Foster because they cannot afford to pay his wages. Why should we pay the asking price? It is not our fault they paid too much for him in the first place and gave him a contract they could not afford to pay in the Championship. Equally part of Birmingham's problem with Foster is he seems extremely reluctant to move from Leamington and therefore the market they are selling into is limited to ourselves and Villa who don't need a keeper. However if we ever came to sell  Foster we would probably find ourselves in the same boat which is another good reason not pay £5m and negotiate a flex down clause in his contract.

Birmingham City's current plight is the reason why we should never just pay the asking price for any player. They did and look where they are now.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1776 on: June 20, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »
See the press are reporting WBA as having a take it or leave it offer. I dont buy that they make it up as they go along! I would be surprised if the clubs are that far apart. If you look at recent dealings between the clubs it would appear the communication is more than co operative

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1777 on: June 20, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
3.75m plus Tamas or Woods job done!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1778 on: June 20, 2012, 03:02:05 PM »
we cant just throw players at brum, they have a transfer embargo, players going in must be a necessity
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1779 on: June 20, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »
They are hoping to have embargo lifted this week, Foster transfer will probably be going on well into July knowing us!!
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1780 on: June 20, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »
A transfer embargo doesnt necessarily mean they cant sign players but it has to be authorized by the FA or FL first. For instance the FA or FL wouldnt just leave Birmingham with one goalkeeper so a money offer plus Myhill is realistic

Tipton Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1781 on: June 20, 2012, 05:05:31 PM »
Hes worth a minimum of £5M !

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1782 on: June 20, 2012, 05:51:27 PM »
Hes worth a minimum of £5M !

He's "worth" whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay.

If you had to sell your car and it was "worth" £5k and i offered £3k and i and was the only person interested, then i end up getting it for £3k.... Not surprised at all that JP is undercutting Foster's true market value. The man is very good at what he does.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

johnthebaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1783 on: June 20, 2012, 06:16:48 PM »
See the press are reporting WBA as having a take it or leave it offer. I dont buy that they make it up as they go along! I would be surprised if the clubs are that far apart. If you look at recent dealings between the clubs it would appear the communication is more than co operative
Two papers reporting it are the sun and the star......nuff said

Personally I think we will sign him for about 4 million, might take a few weeks though.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1784 on: June 20, 2012, 06:39:07 PM »
the best English keeper behind Joe Hart! if we get him for under £5m it will be a steal as far as im concerned :D

j_dog_1980

« Reply #1785 on: June 20, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
 Top keeper! He's the one player I wanted to keep from last year. Makes the difference with him between the sticks and the defence seem more confident with him behind them. 2, 3, 4 ,5, 6 million, I dont care! Just Sign him Albion!

rubyruby

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1786 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
£6 million cash for Foster and Redmond......................... ;)

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1787 on: June 20, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »
I'll be majorly dissappointed if this deal falls through. Blues may well be prepared to sit it out and wait for another club.Ok he wants to stay in the Midlands, but if none of the 3 Midlands Prem clubs can take him, he'll have to stay with Blues or retire. Or re-think what his options are.  Foster is probably the second best English keeper so he's bound to attract interest. I think Albion need to nail this. Offer them Cox, Tamas, Scharner, I'm not sure which positions they need strengthening. Foster has really connected with the fans, through his whole attitude and the confidence he has given the defence. 95% of a recent poll voted for him to stay.  If we don't get Foster, it really will  be a second best solution.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

the lords my shepherd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1788 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
Over the years we have had some top keepers since i've been going to games with the likes of John Osborne, Tony Godden, Alan Miller and Russell Hoult but i honestly believe Foster is as good if not better than all these. He loves it here and has a great rapport with the supporters. I too would be very disappointed if we didn't sign him.
Once a Baggie, Always a Baggie. Its in the blood.

Aixelsyd

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1789 on: June 20, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
I actually doubt the "Blues"will play too hard ball on Foster..

They need the cash, by the sounds of it, and if they need to get new players in they will need to show the FA some solvency..... i.e. Cash from a Foster deal in the bank ;)

Just my take but I think it will happen pretty soon :)
On a roundel paly of thirteen argent and azure a missel thrush perched on a hawthorn branch leaved and fructed proper.

Londonbaggymike

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1790 on: June 21, 2012, 12:38:42 AM »
Over the years we have had some top keepers since i've been going to games with the likes of John Osborne, Tony Godden, Alan Miller and Russell Hoult but i honestly believe Foster is as good if not better than all these. He loves it here and has a great rapport with the supporters. I too would be very disappointed if we didn't sign him.

Interesting.  I've called foster the best since Godden on here before then wondered if he was better after posting. Better than Osborne? Only saw him a couple of times as a little kid but held in very high regard. Do you think he's better than Ossie? I know the game has moved on (I've watched it happen!) but if you're right then Ben could be an Albion legend because Osborne most definately is!

WSBaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1791 on: June 21, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »
I reckon we will get this deal done. Blues are desperate for money and us playing hard ball will only work in our favour by getting us a lower price and giving us the opportunity to invest the 'saved' cash elsewhere.

the lords my shepherd

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1792 on: June 21, 2012, 07:32:13 AM »
Interesting.  I've called foster the best since Godden on here before then wondered if he was better after posting. Better than Osborne? Only saw him a couple of times as a little kid but held in very high regard. Do you think he's better than Ossie? I know the game has moved on (I've watched it happen!) but if you're right then Ben could be an Albion legend because Osborne most definately is!

It was probably wrong of me to mention Ossie as like you i was only young when he was between the sticks and quite rightly is an Albion legend.  Godden was a very good keeper who had a fantastic team in front of him. All i will say that i didn't realise how good Foster actually was till he signed on loan last season and he definately saved us points. Needs to be signed and yes he too could in years to come write his name in Albion folklore.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:37:56 PM by OldburyWBA »
Once a Baggie, Always a Baggie. Its in the blood.

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1793 on: June 21, 2012, 09:53:20 AM »
I wouldnt call him a legend JUST yet.

Dont get me wrong he is a quality goalkeeper, but dont think he warrants legendary status at the club yet.

If he is to sign, hell most like end his career here (guessin he would sign a 2/3 year deal with 1 in clubs favour) which would take him to 33ish.

I think if he continued to be as good as he has this season then he will 100% go down as one of our best keepers.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1794 on: June 21, 2012, 10:37:46 AM »
Foster is (IMHO) a better all round goalie than Godden, who was a great shot stopper but not always too clever under the high ball. Oh and that Dalglish goal... >:(

LoxleyBaggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1795 on: June 21, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
Foster is (IMHO) a better all round goalie than Godden, who was a great shot stopper but not always too clever under the high ball. Oh and that Dalglish goal... >:(

My dad always said Godden was a great keeper if he didn't have time to think. Crosses he was suspect (fortunately Batson and Statham prevented them coming in and Wile and Robertson dealt with them when they did) and yes, the Dalglish goal cost us dear!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1796 on: June 21, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »
That's hit the nail on the head- when Godden didn't have time to think he was instinctively a brilliant stopper, probably as good as Schmeichel or Cech.

up_the_baggies

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1797 on: June 21, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
Robert Green to join QPR from West Ham on free transfer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18531050

Good news! Hopefully we can wrap up the Foster deal soonish.

howard62baby

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1798 on: June 21, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
When you consider his contribution for last season its vitally important that we sign him up and would break our current transfer record to get him on a four year deal + a one year option,especially when you recall some of the out standing point saving saves,I know people will say he's a keeper and that's his job but he's been the best we've had for years.
No body moves no body gets hurt put your hands on your head and your faces in the dirt al capone's guns don't argue !!!

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1799 on: June 21, 2012, 01:34:04 PM »
When you consider his contribution for last season its vitally important that we sign him up and would break our current transfer record to get him on a four year deal + a one year option,especially when you recall some of the out standing point saving saves,I know people will say he's a keeper and that's his job but he's been the best we've had for years.
I think so.  This is not one to let slip for the sake of half a million or so.