Author Topic: While we have been gone  (Read 33296 times)

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

Re: While we have been gone
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2011, 01:07:49 PM »
Hodgson wasn't my choice at all I wanted Jol or Hughton. I was perfectly happy when Hughton was 1/20 with the bookmakers, within no time we appointed Hodgson who like McLaren is a "never was" apart from one good season with Fulham. Can see this all going wrong.  ::)

Hughton, a manager with less experience than Di Matteo (albeit by a few games)? Hodgson is a far better candidate. Experience, and has got teams out of relegation battles before.

He was a head coach, in coaching a team Hughton had so much more experience than Di Matteo. Agreed that Hodgson was the best candidate for the job.

Savvas78

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
I would gave settled for Hughton....Delighted we got Roy!
We've gone on holiday by mistake!

aka stairs

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
Hodgson is a great appointment in my opinion and one that immediately grasped the nettle and is showing the defender what is expected on them  -  Mowbray and RDM seemed to be oblivious of this part of the game!

I am sure the art of defending come as a bit of a shock to some of them and maybe the team selection will surprise a few of us - but I am sure the training will have tightened us up at the back and we will see the beginnings of a better shaped team.

I doubt anyone will boo on Sunday because we will be tighter in defence and will win 2-0 and so happy days for us all.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2011, 02:06:14 PM »
Sad, but relieved RdM went. He simply had lost the plot completely and failed to give us a solid defensive shape, we were just deteriorating so rapidly something had to be done. I liked Roberto but he simply wasn't ready yet.

As for Roy they don't come more ready than him, glad to have him. I think a straight talker like him is exactly what we need. Hodgson says things as they are without putting any spin on things and he will shape us properly. With the players we have we won't lack for goals but it will be good to finally see a team where players are not miles out of place, or just basically clueless, defensively.

Hodgson is very strong in the human dimension and I hope he will help a lot of our promising players grow. I think this is where RdM's inexperience was the most telling. 

reis wbafc patel

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2011, 02:21:49 PM »
when the site was down i was really annoyed as it was such a bad time to go down as di matteo left and hodgson came in
ALBION TIL I DIE

WBARoberts

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2011, 02:45:42 PM »
Totally peeded off with this appointment i got a feeling theres is going to be alot of booing sunday afternoon.
gawd help us.

Not a chance, anyone that boo's this decision is a moron, the best appointment we could have made right now, and i'm still surprised we got him.

He was headhunted by Liverpool only 6 months ago, took Fulham to a Europa league final and was in line to replace Capello after the world cup, and you're pee'd off with the appointment, get real!

Mat15(MH)

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »
God it's good to have this place back!

I don't think there was a better appointment out there,he was the outstanding candidate in my view.It will benefit not only the club but also Appleton,who clearly has potential but for him to get it now would have been too soon(As we saw with his naieveity against the Hammers).

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
Welcome back  :D

So glad we got Roy, not sure why Hughton was so popular after we dominated his Newcastle side every time we met boths play and results wise??

WOING WOING!!  8)
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

dapacraig

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
I was shocked at first regarding RDM's sack, I think 90% of people were, but after a day or two to take it in i think it was a brave decision by Peace. Hoping we can nick 3 points on Sunday and Hodgson actually plays people in there correct positions, that would be a good start  8)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2011, 03:25:08 PM »
when the site was down i was really annoyed as it was such a bad time to go down as di matteo left and hodgson came in

Wasn't planned, just coincidence despite what some people claim elsewhere.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

DJ EmmJee

• WBA Manager

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2011, 03:44:53 PM »
Roberto Di Matteo has been replaced as Head Coach by Roy Hodgson.

WHAT?  :o

Thou shalt not maketh jokes. This used to be the best board, I'd ever been on.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2011, 04:02:18 PM »
Hughton, a manager with less experience than Di Matteo (albeit by a few games)? Hodgson is a far better candidate. Experience, and has got teams out of relegation battles before.

I think you will find Hughton would have had much more experience than RDM.
Anyway i was not happy with Hodgson but i am warming to him.Even more so if we beat the Dings
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

baggieboyjop

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
Thouroughly missed the site.

But i have to say that this week i cant complain about roy. He seems to be quite the professional. In his interviews i thought he looked assured and very knowledgeable and i am now relatively confident that he will see us through this season. But he does have to find a way to motivate our players and get them showing the same determination they showed at the start of the season.

Come on baggies, believe
I hate stoke, i hate newcastle more than i hate stoke, i hate andy carrol more than i hate newcastle, i hate v*lla more than i hate andy carrol but i hate the dingles most of all. Albion till i die

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2011, 04:11:40 PM »
Thank the Lord it's back - although after the last two weeks things will never quite be the same again.

You don't appreciate what you've got until it's gone!
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

hunsletbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
    Thought we made ourselves look a bit of a laughing stock with the sacking of RDM,but this appointment shows Peace is making an effort this time to keep us up.Pity he didn't show more effort in the transfer window though.
  Great to have the site back that WBA Mad site is what it says on the tin mad.

j_dog_1980

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
Great to be back!!!!

RH will do a good job and I reakon he will keep us up. Liked RDM but thats football and you have to move on. Big first game for RH and 3 points will make him a very popular person come Sunday sfternoon. Boing Boing

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2011, 04:57:22 PM »
As I mentioned last week just before the site went down I did think it was time for Roberto to go, especially as we put the club first. I was abit worried about who would replace him, never thought we would of ended up with an appointment like Roy Hodgson. I think he'll turn out to be a good appointment if he can address our defensive issues. If he can't then he'll be another in a long line which have failed to tighten up a fragile back four.

I think the only other runners in my opinion where probably McInnes and Appleton. Never seemed to feel interested for anybody else.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggieman1805

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Thank god, it's back
Hodgson will do a good job  :)

WoodmanCornerFan

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
Delighted with the appointment of Roy. He was by far the best candidate available too us and were lucky to have a coach of his ilk and experience in charge of our club. Granted, experience isn't any kind of guarentee for survival but it certaily wont be a hinderance either. The football might be different and less attractive, but Roy will make us hard to beat which is the cornerstone for establishing urself in the Premier League.

VVVAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2011, 08:42:42 PM »
Premiership manager of the season and a shoe in for England manager (is that a good thing?) had Capello "left" in the summer.

Good appointment.
.COM, allowing everyone the opportunity to have an opinion.

clemsleftfoot

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »
Why will there be booing ?

New manager deserves time and not booing before he starts especially against the dingles.

RDM had not stopped the rot, didn't appear to have any idea how to or was too stubborn to change.

New man coming in deserves time and patience as he tries to sort out the leaky defence which didn't stop leaking goals despite changing the keeper and also the return of Olsson as many predicted the changes would do.
i don't mean booing hogson in general but iv'e got a feeling the booing will start just like it did after west ham,
i could cut my own hand off for typing this but i think it's too soon for hodson to make a differance against the dingles i fear for us on sunday.
Won't take the idiots long to start booing especially against the dingles if things ain't going right.
could have made my first post clearer, i have never booed a baggies manager and never will but as i said im not happy with the appointment.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »
Pleased we are back up and running again !

Welcome Roy and best of luck - he'll need it with our shambles of a defence !

BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Ross

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Worked miracles with Fulham to keep them up and get to a european final.

But he had a huge slice of luck, and more money to spend on transfers, and a more flexible wage structure that we will ever have.

If he can do the same then great!

But he was clueless at Liverpool.

But i'll get behind the team come what may, starting with Sunday

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
God it's good to have this place back!

I don't think there was a better appointment out there,he was the outstanding candidate in my view.It will benefit not only the club but also Appleton,who clearly has potential but for him to get it now would have been too soon(As we saw with his naieveity against the Hammers).

Appy was bigged up a lot after the RdM sacking, and I had high hopes for him, but his horror show against West Ham has made me see him as a League One manager as his best potential. Certainly I do hope he is a better coach than manager or we should get rid asap... Appy should know everything about this set of players and to make the tactical mistakes he did against West Ham is inexcusable, or rather, ONLY excusable because of circumstances, but a show of managing talent it was not.

Rich99

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2011, 01:28:49 AM »
On the whole I was fairly happy with the Roy appointment and we've got someone due to timeing etc someone we couldn't have got say just 8 months or so ago.

My ideal scenario is that Roy keeps us up, then is poached away in the summer for a big fee, and we bring in someone else who plays the exciting brand of football we are used to.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:31:43 AM by Rich99 »