Author Topic: Mason Holgate  (Read 27647 times)

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Re: The one big thread for unconfirmed rumours & tat
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2018, 04:58:13 PM »
Madness how some people turn everything into a negative. We need cover at RB and CH and look like getting an England u21 regular, with prem experience, who can cover both and still no good? Really?
Not saying he's a world beater but if he went to Leeds or Norwich I'd be gutted.

I agree with this! Our fans are crazy sometimes when it comes to transfers.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2018, 05:00:10 PM »
I could see holgate centre back and Dawson moved to right back

Doubt that would be the case though to be honest it'll just be yet another square peg for a round hole no matter how you look at it, could have easily done this with Tosin. Maybe another possibility would be us being willing to listen to offers for Dawson this window with Holgate replacing him in the short term.

Sted1990

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »
Doubt that would be the case though to be honest it'll just be yet another square peg for a round hole no matter how you look at it, could have easily done this with Tosin. Maybe another possibility would be us being willing to listen to offers for Dawson this window with Holgate replacing him in the short term.

Maybe either way we won’t be spending money but if I had to choose I’d keep Hegazi over Dawson but preferably not lose either.

B_H_Baggie

• WBA Manager

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
Maybe either way we won’t be spending money but if I had to choose I’d keep Hegazi over Dawson but preferably not lose either.

Don't get me wrong I doubt we'll let either go I just think Holgate is a lad that has been offered around for a loan and its something we think can help us along, if anyone goes it'll be Mears just being released I imagine.

baggies_24

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2018, 05:22:02 PM »
Could we be going back to 3 at the back if Holgate is a better CH?

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
Seems a decent deal to me. Looked good enough at Barnsley to attract Everton. Their fans feel he is more of a centre back than a right back which may be an issue, but in out weird system it might be he can cover the right side of a central 3, plus we are at a lower level.

Hopeful that it works out if he comes (although would love us just to sign a good right back of our own).
Boing Boing

iwastherein68

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2018, 06:32:25 PM »
If Holgate comes in then I wish him all of the very best and hope he does better for us than Brendan Galloway. A cursory glance at his appearance record tells me he's played against us several times in his 38 PL appearances to date. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad one but I honestly don't remember him.

It also tells me that other than a run of nine games as a right back towards the end of the 2016/2017 season the majority of his appearances for Everton have been at centre half. Most of these have been on the left of a two man central pairing or the right of a three.

I'm not in any way pre judging the lad but if he does come in I just hope we have a definite plan for how he is to be used. I also hope this plan involves his scouted strengths as opposed to him being shoe horned in somewhere because he's available.
Exactly, I hope that Dowling has squared that away.
Gary Megson - True Legend - Restorer of pride

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2018, 07:03:42 PM »
Holgate in
Mears released
This is great business and gets prem experience and athletism in
Enables tosin to drop in to the middle where (imo) he will be a very good player

Someone asked why loans and why we are not building for the future , in the main because we don't want to be in this league, but prem players come with prem wage expectations , it'll be loans and maybe 1-2 signings ....but that is alll we need
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

Wigmore

• Junior Baggie

Mason Holgate undergoes West Brom medical ahead of loan move
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2018, 07:16:07 PM »
According to our beloved Sky sources...

garry

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

Re: Mason Holgate undergoes West Brom medical ahead of loan move
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6540349/Everton-defender-Mason-Holgate-set-join-West-Brom-loan-end-season.html

Everton defender Mason Holgate is joining West Bromwich Albion on loan until the end of the season.

Darren Moore's Championship promotion chasers edged out late competition from Premier League Bournemouth and Leeds United to convince Holgate of a move to the Hawthorns and were awaiting clearance on the deal on Sunday.

The stylish 22-year-old has only made six first team appearances for Everton this season and is eager to gain more game time.

Albion want cover at right-back and centre-back and still hope to add another defender before the end of January.

Holgate hopes to be in the squad that visits Blackburn Rovers on New Year's Day with Albion third in the Championship, five points behind leaders Leeds United.

The youngster, who has represented England at U21 level, has a long-term contract at Everton that runs until 2022. 

Having joined Everton from Barnsley in 2015, Holgate has proceeded to play 48 times for the Toffees so far.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2018, 07:47:08 PM »
Looks like we are trying to sort the problem right back position, good move by the club.
Baggie in Southampton

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2018, 07:55:57 PM »
Looks like we are trying to sort the problem right back position, good move by the club.

Yes, Tosin is not a natural right back. The only problem with Holgate was his spat with Firmino. Could be a bit hot headed but never the less a step in the right direction.

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2018, 08:54:21 PM »
Holgate in
Mears released
This is great business and gets prem experience and athletism in
Enables tosin to drop in to the middle where (imo) he will be a very good player

Someone asked why loans and why we are not building for the future , in the main because we don't want to be in this league, but prem players come with prem wage expectations , it'll be loans and maybe 1-2 signings ....but that is alll we need
I think you are right that Tosin will be much more comfortable in the centre of defence. I know not many will agree but I also think Bartley looks better as a part of a back four - he certainly didn't look good as a part of a three man last line of defence.

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2018, 08:58:51 PM »
I think you are right that Tosin will be much more comfortable in the centre of defence. I know not many will agree but I also think Bartley looks better as a part of a back four - he certainly didn't look good as a part of a three man last line of defence.
With you on Bartley, I thought he was ok yesterday
You have to play people where they are best
We ruined Chester, Borja and to a lesser extent Odemwingie
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

mr multivac

• Junior Baggie

Re: Mason Holgate
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2018, 09:13:53 PM »
Would assume Holgate is known to Jones  as he would of been
there when Jones was there with Martinez, maybe even what clinched the deal

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2018, 09:31:25 PM »
Also if he's signed he is being brought in to start. Everton starting this season now have fines in their loan agreements to clubs for not using their players without good reason.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2018, 09:35:34 PM »
Also if he's signed he is being brought in to start. Everton starting this season now have fines in their loan agreements to clubs for not using their players without good reason.

I would hope we would insist on any such agreement being waived. We're in the top 3 of Championship.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2018, 10:03:56 PM »
At the very least a positive move that demonstrates that we are working behind the scenes to get in early transfers. With premiership experience and being able to play both CH and RB may just be a shrewd deal.

Lets wait and see rather than dismissing a transfer without any knowledge of how he plays :D

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2018, 10:49:21 PM »

I would hope we would insist on any such agreement being waived. We're in the top 3 of Championship.

Would hope so too but with our board who can say.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2018, 11:25:42 PM »
I think this can only improve the defence so welcome the news.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2018, 01:13:27 AM »
Spoke to an Everton fan I know as soon as I heard about this.

"He's a great defender can play centre or right also has pace. He'll be a good loan move unlucky not to be playing for us"

That will do for me.
Allllllll aboard

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2018, 11:05:33 AM »
I don't much like the notion of penalty clauses in loan contracts if the loanee isn't playing but I guess some of that depends on the other parts of the arrangement. If the Premier League club isn't charging a fee and as is often the case subsidizing the wages I guess how much of a good thing can the Championship club have?

In the case of Holgate I suspect we will be paying all of his £25k a week wages which might well change the balance of power.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
I know a few Everton fans and everyone has said the same thing - Holgate is a very good player but he is too weak to play centre half.

Possibly for his career to progress he needs to move to right back, learn the role and its probably better doing it half a season in the championship that a few minutes here and there in the premier league.

By all accounts he is athletic, quick, decent on the ball so quite possibly similar to Gibbs.

I still wouldnt be shocked to see us move back to the 3-5-2 at some point this season (not that i want too) and if so he can play right sided centre half or at least offer competition for it.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2018, 11:40:14 AM »

I still wouldnt be shocked to see us move back to the 3-5-2 at some point this season (not that i want too) and if so he can play right sided centre half or at least offer competition for it.

Im wondering more if it is Moore's preferred direction of formation that he wants to play and is looking to get players in that can allow us to do it?

The squad as it is, is not cut out for 3-5-2 but as we saw from the start of the season thats how he wants to setup. Holgate is a very good player and should be a top signing at this level and beyond.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
Asked a couple of the lads this morning (I live on Merseyside), far more comfortable as a centre back apparently. Seen it too many times, hope I'm wrong.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.