Poll

How do you rate our chances of survival under Allardyce?

Better than under Bilic
Worse than under Bilic
About the same

Author Topic: Chances of survival  (Read 132410 times)

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Chances of survival
« Reply #750 on: April 13, 2021, 09:24:42 AM »
pretty much zilch really
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #751 on: April 13, 2021, 10:07:33 AM »
Just a reminder to all those with hope, don't be disappointed but our chances of survival have not improved over the last 6 games. The damage was done in the summer with our recruitment and no "finger in the dyke" mid-season loans or a new manager can change that fact.

Chances of survival still zero :(

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #752 on: April 13, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »
So what.  The set of players right now represent easily our best premier league team.

The fact is right now on 13/4/21 we are a better team than Arsenal, Liverpool or Tottenham.

Take each match as it comes.  Winning 5 games in a row is possible if we continue to play on the front foot.

Literally none of this post is true  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #753 on: April 13, 2021, 10:16:07 AM »
Seriously guys look at the table and do the maths,
Absolutely, just do the maths, we can still stay up and, until that possibility is gone, keep the faith, it's no fun otherwise.
COYB

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #754 on: April 13, 2021, 10:24:36 AM »
Out of interest what was the points gap with Leicester when they stayed up under Pearson? I seem to remember they looked dead and buried at one point.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #755 on: April 13, 2021, 10:33:19 AM »
Out of interest what was the points gap with Leicester when they stayed up under Pearson? I seem to remember they looked dead and buried at one point.

Leicester were 6 points behind Villa and Hull after 31 matches.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #756 on: April 13, 2021, 10:46:23 AM »
Literally none of this post is true  ;D

I remember you saying Liverpool were the best team in the league. 

As of now Klopp is still playing Milner!

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #757 on: April 13, 2021, 10:53:23 AM »
To put into perspective just how difficult the challenge really is, when Sunderland pipped Newcastle in 2015/2016 under Sam Allardyce, they picked up 12 points from their last 7 games.

Were we to repeat the feat, we would have 36 points, which will still likely not be enough as Newcastle should get 4 points from their last 7 games (Fulham, Sheff Utd, a faltering Leicester, a West Ham who will surely choke and a very ordinary Arsenal side).

Their Burnley win did the damage.

Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #758 on: April 13, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »
I remember you saying Liverpool were the best team in the league. 

As of now Klopp is still playing Milner!

In my defence they'd just won 7 nil away from home and City had already dropped 16 points... We certainly aren't better than them sadly, or either of the other sides you mentioned or at least 4 of our previous PL league teams. As you know I'm very positive about this side but let's keep it remotely realistic.   ;)

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2021, 11:39:20 AM »
In my defence they'd just won 7 nil away from home and City had already dropped 16 points... We certainly aren't better than them sadly, or either of the other sides you mentioned or at least 4 of our previous PL league teams. As you know I'm very positive about this side but let's keep it remotely realistic.   ;)

I disagree, our current team playing like this is our best team in the Premier League, bar none.

What is it that people have seen in the last 2 games that gives them the view that this is not elite level football?

Chelsea away was the finest performance for 40 years, Southampton home could've easily been 5-0 if the early goal was awarded.

I think Burnley are the team to catch, they look awful.

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2021, 11:51:37 AM »
I disagree, our current team playing like this is our best team in the Premier League, bar none.

What is it that people have seen in the last 2 games that gives them the view that this is not elite level football?

Chelsea away was the finest performance for 40 years, Southampton home could've easily been 5-0 if the early goal was awarded.

I think Burnley are the team to catch, they look awful.

It’s more the fact that it is just 2 games. 2 games in a very weird season.

Some of our sides in the last decade or so have finished top half, beat all of the top sides in the division.
Boing Boing

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #761 on: April 13, 2021, 12:07:15 PM »
To put into perspective just how difficult the challenge really is, when Sunderland pipped Newcastle in 2015/2016 under Sam Allardyce, they picked up 12 points from their last 7 games.

Were we to repeat the feat, we would have 36 points, which will still likely not be enough as Newcastle should get 4 points from their last 7 games (Fulham, Sheff Utd, a faltering Leicester, a West Ham who will surely choke and a very ordinary Arsenal side).

Their Burnley win did the damage.
We also have to play, a faltering Leicester, a West Ham who will surely choke and a very ordinary Arsenal side.  ;)

I don't think there's a single person saying we WILL stay up, just a few of us who want to enjoy the ride whilst there's still a chance.
There are, however, quite a few who are adamant that the chance is zero, which is simply incorrect and, for me, a bit mad.
If we stay up, this will be one of the most fascinating, exhilarating and exciting seasons in my 40 years watching so I don't want to miss out because I'm "scared" to believe. Anyone that has given up will regret it if the miracle happens.

Let yourselves believe! It's fun.

Evo_Baggies

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2021, 12:22:31 PM »
Spent my morning looking at Newcastle, Burnley, Brightons and Fulhams fixtures

Peak Albion this, they always just give you enough hope...

Next 3 games are obviously key and if we can come out of the next 3 matches with 2 wins (Big Ask I know) it's going to be a ridiculous final push at the end of the season.

As long as two of those teams don't pick up more than 3 points we have a chance.

I thought we were done and going out with a wimper, kudos to Sam for restoring some pride regardless of what happens.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #763 on: April 13, 2021, 12:36:40 PM »
We also have to play, a faltering Leicester, a West Ham who will surely choke and a very ordinary Arsenal side.  ;)

I don't think there's a single person saying we WILL stay up, just a few of us who want to enjoy the ride whilst there's still a chance.
There are, however, quite a few who are adamant that the chance is zero, which is simply incorrect and, for me, a bit mad.
If we stay up, this will be one of the most fascinating, exhilarating and exciting seasons in my 40 years watching so I don't want to miss out because I'm "scared" to believe. Anyone that has given up will regret it if the miracle happens.

Let yourselves believe! It's fun.

Mark me down as the 1 Person who believes we will stay up.

Feeling negative about WBA at this point is totally illogical.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #764 on: April 13, 2021, 12:39:00 PM »
Spent my morning looking at Newcastle, Burnley, Brightons and Fulhams fixtures

Peak Albion this, they always just give you enough hope...

Next 3 games are obviously key and if we can come out of the next 3 matches with 2 wins (Big Ask I know) it's going to be a ridiculous final push at the end of the season.

As long as two of those teams don't pick up more than 3 points we have a chance.

I thought we were done and going out with a wimper, kudos to Sam for restoring some pride regardless of what happens.

Newcastle look doomed fixture wise until the last 2 games and they get Sheff Utd and Fulham.

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #765 on: April 13, 2021, 12:41:18 PM »
Newcastle look doomed fixture wise until the last 2 games and they get Sheff Utd and Fulham.
If we're above them by then, it won't matter  ;)

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #766 on: April 13, 2021, 12:47:42 PM »
For me it's about preparing for the worst. It's not that I can't believe it's that I don't want to as I know we will be let down.

If we had beaten Newcastle, I think we would have stood a chance but as it stands, we are reliant on too many results from other teams for it to work.

I personally think we will keep up our side of the bargain only to just miss out by a couple of points which links back to the Newcastle game.

We're done but my main concern was beating Villa's poor record which we've now done.

If we can finish above Fulham, whilst beating Wolves and Villa that will be a successful second half of the season in my opinion.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #767 on: April 13, 2021, 12:55:58 PM »

Blimey, your viewpoint has changed to an unbelievable degree. I love the optimism but.... a top 6 team??

seteefeet

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #768 on: April 13, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »
For me it's about preparing for the worst. It's not that I can't believe it's that I don't want to as I know we will be let down.

If we had beaten Newcastle, I think we would have stood a chance but as it stands, we are reliant on too many results from other teams for it to work.

I personally think we will keep up our side of the bargain only to just miss out by a couple of points which links back to the Newcastle game.

We're done but my main concern was beating Villa's poor record which we've now done.

If we can finish above Fulham, whilst beating Wolves and Villa that will be a successful second half of the season in my opinion.
Why prepare for the worst though? Does that really make it better if we fail?

Hope and believe in the best case scenario and enjoy the ride. If we fail, the outcome is exactly the same but surely it's more enjoyable?

Personally, I'm buzzing right now and, I would imagine, enjoying the current situation far more than someone who is completely pessimistic. Will it hurt me more if we fail? No, of course not.

Let yourself believe. 8)

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #769 on: April 13, 2021, 12:59:47 PM »

No. Having false hope is "illogical".

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #770 on: April 13, 2021, 01:04:32 PM »

Of course we do, but it is a different proposition going into those games needing to take a minimum of 7 points  like we do and taking maybe 1 or 2 points like Newcastle would need.
Boing Boing

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #771 on: April 13, 2021, 01:26:37 PM »
The 4 teams above us play again before we do (I think), basically they all have to lose, then we win, then we do it all again twice more and we will be back in it.

jimmyj

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #772 on: April 13, 2021, 01:29:04 PM »
I feel confident we will overhaul Fulham at this stage.

Then the question becomes Newcastle. On current form, we could beat anyone, possible exception of City. The issue of course, is that we are reliant on Newcastle to screw up, and also for our lads to keep their confidence and form: I worry that one bad result would derail our confidence.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #773 on: April 13, 2021, 01:29:24 PM »
No. Having false hope is "illogical".

Why is the hope false?  If we take the next 3 in isolation v LEI, AV, WW, what concerns you that we cannot attain 9pts?  We are playing far better than all those teams. 

I can't see any reason to be cautious.  Just go for it and believe, this is the mindset required.

wodenson46

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #774 on: April 13, 2021, 01:30:53 PM »
Merely a dream. But....... (just for Smethdan)... what IF ?  ;) 🙏
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:36:53 PM by wodenson46 »