Author Topic: Slaven Bilic  (Read 678508 times)

TAFKATMNo1Fan

• Reserve Baggie

Re: Slaven Bilic Sacked
« Reply #3950 on: December 16, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »
Without wanting to sound too dramatic, I feel as if something inside me has died today. I feel very down in the dumps.

I'm not ashamed to admit I've shed a few tears today

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3951 on: December 16, 2020, 03:45:01 PM »
What's most likely scenario though?  We play turgid football, get relegated, get rid of the manager and lose Periera, Diangana, amongst others - then we gamble on the rebuild again. 

Lai is gambling the future of the club on us stopping up with a new manager.

Lai wants a sale and thinks a manager ' who has never been relegated' on his CV will help him sell. He has no desire to see this club prosper in the long term. Lai is the one who should be getting most abuse as his poor leadership , lack of interest and ideas has put us back about 20 years to become the 'just happy to be in the premier club' we left behind around 2004 after a few years of yo yo-ing. We're now at the beginning of that same turgid cycle of yo yo-ing to try to re-establish. It just shows what happens when money is the thing above all

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3952 on: December 16, 2020, 03:57:40 PM »
Without wanting to sound too dramatic, I feel as if something inside me has died today. I feel very down in the dumps.

Tip for the day. Squirrels are far happier resting up in their tree holes over the winter months. You're welcome.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3953 on: December 16, 2020, 04:00:47 PM »
I was born into an Albion family’s and have been going to matches for over 55 years.In that time various boards/ owners have made unpopular decisions , decisions that have baffled , some downright stupid decisions , even the odd good decision but until now never has it made a decision that is so utterly ridiculous. Ridiculous in timing and ridiculous in the appointing( to be confirmed) of a corrupt , Albion hating manager .
 Whilst I want the best for this club I would have a little chuckle if the ex England manager turns them down
Not only is it a stupid decision but if as seems likely we get relegated judging by the noises coming out we will have to go through the managerial roundabout all over again come April, May , June time . Total stupidity come on Lai, Ken, Dowling et al show us a plan that is longer than 18 months before repetition kicks in
I am as angry now as I ever have been with this club and the running of it or may be it should it be ruining of it in all my time supporting it .
Finally I would like to thank Slav for giving me my club back after the dark days of Pulis  and Pardew

Sums it up.
Nearly 50 years of supporting this club through some absolute rubbish, yet I have never been more disillusioned, embarrassed, or disgusted. What an utter shambles.

Canmore Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3954 on: December 16, 2020, 04:02:40 PM »
What's most likely scenario though?  We play turgid football, get relegated, get rid of the manager and lose Periera, Diangana, amongst others - then we gamble on the rebuild again. 

Lai is gambling the future of the club on us stopping up with a new manager.

This is exactly it. Allardyce isn't going to keep us up. 6 months of watching eyesore football then back to the Championship with no hope of keeping the squad together.

Manc Baggie

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #3955 on: December 16, 2020, 04:03:46 PM »
I am ashamed & embarrassed with my club for Bilic sacking & the dreadful incoming appointment of Allardyce.
This decision is based entirely around the current owner trying to sell the club & is desperate to retain PL status to enable as high as price as possible for any sale.
We have a championship quality squad & are certainly heading back there.
The only thing likely to change with the appointment of Allardyce, is the death of the small glimpses of football we were occasionally playing as the Allardyce dinosaur will have us lump it as he has always done.
It's just another awful decision by an awful owner of a badly run football club.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3956 on: December 16, 2020, 04:16:05 PM »
Based on our results throughout 2020, it was very obvious that Slaven's days were numbered if things didn't improve, and they didn't. However, our promotion last season was no mean achievement and his style of football was a breath of fresh air compared to what had gone before for some time. The obvious time for him to go was after the Palace game or, failing that, after Newcastle. To do it today leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I wish Slaven and the other coaches well and hope that they're not out of work for very long. Thanks for giving us our soul back, albeit all too temporarily.

Unfortunately, it looks like we're going to lose our soul once again - if you're an anti-football dinosaur, the Albion Board always has a place for you. Ours is a club with no plan, no vision and no competence, it just basically staggers like a drunk from one crisis to the next. You can't keep on sacking managers after 18 months (or less), at some point there has to be some continuity with a manager in place who is able to build a proper framework of a team over an extended period. We can't keep massively rebuilding the side at the end of every season and bringing players in who will lose us money.

I am firmly of the opinion that Albion has to make a stand for entertaining football. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe that the "Albion way" should actually mean something. In this day and age (more than ever in a post-Covid world), if football isn't entertaining then it's nothing. Fans won't want to watch it and attendances will decline. Instead, it looks like we're going to into reverse gear yet again and bring in another dinosaur as a panic measure, when it was obvious that we weren't spending enough money in the summer to give ourselves a decent chance of staying up.

Now we're expecting someone to come in and perform miracles. If we go down, which is highly likely, the next new manager to follow the interim dinosaur will have precious little time to sort out new signings and I don't trust the club to identify quality, value for money players. Therefore I feel that Dowling should be leaving too and, ultimately, yearn for the club to be sold to someone who actually cares, and who wants to bring passion, vision and excitement back to Albion. It feels like wishful thinking in the extreme at present.

Oh and please can everyone who was in the habit of calling our former manager "Bilic" not call the likely replacement "Sam" or "Big Sam". It puts the latter on a pedestal as being cuddly, likeable character when he's anything but.

All in all, today is a very sad day for the club.
Agree with a lot of this post Worcs.
The worst thing about the revolving door strategy is that we will see a completly different set of players brought in, who we will probably want to get rid of when it doesn't work with the new manager. Especially if they are Allardyce type players. 
I agree that West Bromwich Albion should have an identity which is associated with playing watchable entertaining football. That means appointing managers who broadly can subscribe to that view. Of course results are important , but its who we are as a club that matters.

As a matter of interest, I remember when Billic was first interviewed, Dowling reportedly said, we knew he was our man when he walked into the room. So did Dowling change his mind about him?
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Critical Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3957 on: December 16, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
Gutted to see Slav go. He’s a cult manager who rekindled a lot of love for our club so of course it’s hard to part ways with such a likeable guy.

BUT in the cold light of day the results (since Jan) have just not been good enough and football, however you may/ may not not like it, is a ruthless game.

Finding some of the reactions here a bit over the top. We got a draw against Man City. Not win the FA cup.

Fact is, the owner needs to sell the club and can only do that if we are in the PL. He doesn’t care what the fans want, he simply wants his money back then get the hell out.

Like most things in football, it’s a gamble. It didn’t work out when Pulis was let go, so let’s just hope it does this time or we are back to square one.
Frank Burrows Appreciation Society

MONKWBA

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3958 on: December 16, 2020, 04:26:14 PM »
We are no longer a football club - we are a commercial entity.

Lai purchased us in the hope that if we remained a premier league club, TV revenues would increase year on year and he would be able to sell us on at a profit.

Every decision we make is based on Lai at least getting his money back. We've no interest in winning a trophy, entertaining fans, growing the fanbase.

I'm sick of it. We the fans the suffer because Lai made a poor decision in buying us and he hoped to use West Brom as a vehicle to make a quick buck.

I feel sick that our club, with our long and proud history is in this position. We are at the mercy of an owner who has given us nothing.

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3959 on: December 16, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »
We are no longer a football club - we are a commercial entity.

Lai purchased us in the hope that if we remained a premier league club, TV revenues would increase year on year and he would be able to sell us on at a profit.

Every decision we make is based on Lai at least getting his money back. We've no interest in winning a trophy, entertaining fans, growing the fanbase.

I'm sick of it. We the fans the suffer because Lai made a poor decision in buying us and he hoped to use West Brom as a vehicle to make a quick buck.

I feel sick that our club, with our long and proud history is in this position. We are at the mercy of an owner who has given us nothing.
Let's hope if it is Big Sam he keeps us up and we can be sold to someone who actually wants to own a football club with a history, not a commercial operation.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3960 on: December 16, 2020, 04:31:39 PM »

I am too, without a doubt.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3961 on: December 16, 2020, 04:36:04 PM »
I am so very tired of my football club right now.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

kamarasboot

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3962 on: December 16, 2020, 04:37:26 PM »
Didn't want Slav to go, the reality is he needed to go.

A fantastic point at Man City but One Swallow doesn't make a summer...

"He can dish it out, but He cannot take it", I once heard someone say of me. And it's true - I serve school dinners and I'm allergic to mashed potatoes.

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3963 on: December 16, 2020, 04:38:55 PM »
Yesterday I was grim Reading about Covid had triggered my Mental Health. Put the Radio on Wolves enternianed me hurt me to say that but they did a plucky Black Country Club fighting a Big Boy. I expected us to get Walloped. They Score I'm like great let's see how many more we concede. Then we equalise I let out a muted Cheer then SJ becomes a hero and we get a Point. I celebrate as I was proud of Billic and the lads my mood was of jubilation another plucky Black Country Side holding a Big Boy. Now this. I probably won't stick to this I never do but if I can I will avoid an Albion Game. Allydyce do we never learn just what we bloody need in the middle of a Pandemic. If we had kept Billic based on last night we might have found some form.

Anyway Thank you Slaven will always be thankful for all you have done for this small Black Country Club I wish I could have got tickets to watch you and the lads. Thanks Super Slaven Billic
I guess I will now have to support Allydyce the moment though we play 6 at the back and lose 4-0 is the moment I talk to the Wall.
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3964 on: December 16, 2020, 06:17:42 PM »
I am done with the club. They are disgraceful and embarrassing.
Gera, Gera, Gera

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3965 on: December 16, 2020, 06:22:39 PM »
Overall I've no real issue with Bilic going although its a shame , the way its been handled is a disgrace and yet another part of cynical modern football . Horrid.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #3966 on: December 16, 2020, 06:27:26 PM »
This is exactly it. Allardyce isn't going to keep us up. 6 months of watching eyesore football then back to the Championship with no hope of keeping the squad together.

Yup, and we'll lose the most exciting players we've had down the Hawthorns for years.  It's going to be a sad day when Periera leaves, was hoping he'd move onto better things while we were in the Prem and could spend the hefty fee on more exciting players to push us on.  Instead, he's not going to stick around to watch the ball sail over his head every game, so we'll lose him for peanuts.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3967 on: December 16, 2020, 06:29:42 PM »
Yup, and we'll lose the most exciting players we've had down the Hawthorns for years.  It's going to be a sad day when Periera leaves, was hoping he'd move onto better things while we were in the Prem and could spend the hefty fee on more exciting players to push us on.  Instead, he's not going to stick around to watch the ball sail over his head every game, so we'll lose him for peanuts.

THIS. How is Hoofball Sam going to work with Gallagher, Pereira and Diangana?!!!

Croatbaggie

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #3968 on: December 16, 2020, 06:36:17 PM »
You have my goodbyes and I wish you all good luck with your club. It was a great time and as much I want to I just can't stay to support the club with a board like this one. Thank you for this great trip
I'd say addicted. It's a disease. Not a "fan".

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #3969 on: December 16, 2020, 06:43:26 PM »
You have my goodbyes and I wish you all good luck with your club. It was a great time and as much I want to I just can't stay to support the club with a board like this one. Thank you for this great trip
You don't have to go Albion is not there's it's mine it's yours it's the man who lives five doors down from the Hawthorns. It's the Fans at the end of the day Owners will leave fans and loyalty won't we are the reason many owners don't get away with destroying clubs. At the end of to Mr Lai He sees West Bromwich Albion as a brand as a Business that he profits from. But for Me and you we see the Hawthorns and West Brom as more Memories, Passion, laughing, crying it is all part of the Magically journey that is Albion. It is our club and always will be it is not a Millionaires Club
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3970 on: December 16, 2020, 06:45:50 PM »
Didn't want Slav to go, the reality is he needed to go.

A fantastic point at Man City but One Swallow doesn't make a summer...

Spot on there, Alan Irvine had a much better record until he was relieved of his duties...

Seems a lot had been questioning Slav since restart last season we’ve shown next to nothing this and now suddenly people are devastated he’s gone very strange.

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #3971 on: December 16, 2020, 06:46:24 PM »
Appreciate that , best wishes mate .
I'm still wondering what happened to those Hungarians that were Albion for life after Gera left  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3972 on: December 16, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »
Owner has alot to answer for, for not backing Bilic in transfer market. Good luck in your future endeavours Slav and thanks for getting club back to the big time.

cheesyknackers

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #3973 on: December 16, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »
Yup, and we'll lose the most exciting players we've had down the Hawthorns for years.  It's going to be a sad day when Pereira leaves, was hoping he'd move onto better things while we were in the Prem and could spend the hefty fee on more exciting players to push us on.  Instead, he's not going to stick around to watch the ball sail over his head every game, so we'll lose him for peanuts.

Both Periera and Diangana not exactly been on fire in the Prem with Bilic in charge .
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 07:02:42 PM by kris_boing »

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3974 on: December 16, 2020, 07:04:17 PM »

Both Periera and Diangana not exactly been on fire in the Prem with Bilic in charge .
that's been a real disappointment, thought the two of them would shine in prem.