Author Topic: 10 Aug 2019 Albion 1 Millwall 1  (Read 45555 times)

koren

• Senior Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
Bilic doesn't have many options to change the game after 1-1 as the new signings are not ready yet.
The wingers looked tired after hour mark but I'm sure the bench would be much stronger next week.
We played some good football at times, we are on the right track.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:19:57 PM by koren »
The PRIDE of midlands

WBArgo

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2019, 05:18:12 PM »
A bit disappointing but I don't think we did enough to win the game as far as chances are concerned. Krov looks fantastic, Phillips looked good and Bartley looks much better under Bilic.

I still don't know what Burke is meant to offer though and Kanu just isn't good enough - hopefully the new signings replace them.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2019, 05:23:06 PM »
It was a poor bench selection for me today. Nothing on there to change the game. One or two of the new lads could have made an impact.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »
Played well enough at times , moved the ball well without the killer instinct which will hopefully come with  the new players .
Felt Millwall were cynical from the off but we must get used to that ,the goal was annoying to concede with a slice of luck hitting Robson Kanu I think then falling nicely for them .
Hopefully when Austin and co settle in we'll kill games better.
4 points from two games , new coach and players.
Not the end of the world.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #204 on: August 10, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »
I’m not sure how we’ve come away from that without 3 points. That’s the most dominant and controlling I’ve seen us play in a while.

All fell to pieces after we took our striker off and didn’t bring another one on.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #205 on: August 10, 2019, 05:27:52 PM »
Let that one get away, not sure it was a corner that led to their goal, they loaded the back post for their goal and we got caught ball watching.

This team will take time to gel and the bench was threadbare today regarding attacking changes.
Baggie in Southampton

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #206 on: August 10, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »
This was a scenario all too evident last season. Let’s hope the newcomers will help us to quickly get back on track

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #207 on: August 10, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »
Positives for me were Krovinovic who always looking for a creative pass, maybe a bit too intricate against a massed defence,  Edwards who looks explosive running at defenders;
Gibbs, Bartley and Livermore also had good games. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:35:24 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »
Not surprised with the result with only one striker who isn't that prolific in match day squad. I'd take a half fit Austin than a fully fit HRK all week long.
HRK did more in the time he had than Zohore did in the time he had!  More hold up and more bringing players into the game. HRK is slated unfairly he did well today.

RedHead_Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #209 on: August 10, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »
HRK did more in the time he had than Zohore did in the time he had!  More hold up and more bringing players into the game. HRK is slated unfairly he did well today.

I don’t think he’s slated unfairly, he’s absolutely woeful BUT I agree he did more than Zohore during his short spell on the pitch. Why is Zohore having to be withdrawn 60 minutes into the game? That’s two weeks in a row now.

Hopefully the 4 deadline day signings have a bit more life in them than some of those who played today, namely Zohore and Phillips.

jamesh_91

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #210 on: August 10, 2019, 05:57:21 PM »
Slaven has to ring the changes on Tuesday.
Take out Johnstone, and also bring in Austin.

Why does he need to take out Johnstone?

Zohore is a bit of an odd one and doesn't seem to do that much but both times he has come off we have lost control of the game a bit.

Think it will be fine when we have those extra players to select from.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 05:59:21 PM by jamesh_91 »

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #211 on: August 10, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »
Johnstone doesn't seem to control his area and can flap at long shots and crosses.
We were keeping them out and with one corner they then score. He should have done so much better.
Stand close to his back post and then come for the ball as he can see the flight.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #212 on: August 10, 2019, 06:03:36 PM »
Threw 2 points away.
Although we didn't create a vast amount of chances. And relied on a set piece for our breakthrough.

Under billic I like how we keep possession the ball very rarely leaves the deck and we pretty much controlled that game same as we did at Forest.

Lack of new signings on the bench thus real options to change the game didn't help us. Burke needs to go out on loan not sure what he offers at all.

Zohore still not showing a great deal, thought HRK did more In his brief spell at the end. Bartley looks far better under billic has a calm and confidence he didn't have last season.

Again our keeper has cost us. He began to come for a floaty cross changes his mind confuses defence then they score. I want to see bond have a game in the cup and perhaps a run in side. Because in games when u need to grind out a win you can't have a keeper who is so weak or it will bite you in backside. Better keeper 2 clean sheets and possibly 2 points better off.

Anyway we didn't lose. The style is enjoyable and all looks very promising. Few more of the new signings in the team and on bench and we will be a force
O Albion we love you

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #213 on: August 10, 2019, 06:08:03 PM »
Phillips did fine today.  Always looked a threat

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #214 on: August 10, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
Disappointing result, but 4 points from the first 2 is a decent return given the pre-season turmoil. The lack of attacking threat in the 2 games is a mild concern, but as we have 4 attacking signings to bed in, nothing to worry about yet.

I think we'll have a better idea of where we're at after the international break when the teams got to know each other a little better.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #215 on: August 10, 2019, 06:48:49 PM »
4pts from 6 perfectly acceptable just because we've done it the wrong way round , hey we 're  the Albion !!
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #216 on: August 10, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
For the record:

Attendance: 24,305
Home: 22,738
Away: 1,567

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #217 on: August 10, 2019, 07:17:08 PM »
Disappointing end but Millwall came with a game plan and it worked for them.

When we did break them down we just lacked that final killer touch which hopefully Austin will bring. Its a new team trying to gel so will take a few games. I thought we attacked well at time just no cutting edge to it.

They targeted Ferguson who took some heavy challenges but came through it well, midfield played well together with Livermore having a good game today and Sawyers using the ball well. Something to build on with new players to come in as well.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #218 on: August 10, 2019, 07:17:20 PM »

I thought HRK was his usual self, flattering to deceive. Nice touch followed by woeful layoffs. Zohore worried me I have to say. Not much service in his defence but had to score when he got the chance and his involvement level was low.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2019, 07:36:28 PM »
Not sure who was our man of the match, but a player influence map I’m viewing is suggesting Bartley was our most influential player
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

elkiellis

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #220 on: August 10, 2019, 07:48:05 PM »
Disappointing today,they were only ever going to score off a setpiece and we kept giving way stupid freekicks,their goal I need to watch again on TV it did appear Johstone was glued to his line and made no attempt to come for the cross,Edwards mom first half but tired,phillips,Krovinic and Livermore all did well,Zohore has to bury that chance not looking too good 2 games in,and for those on here slating him HRK offered more than Zohore when he came on,Burke offers nothing at all and cant see him even making the bench from now on

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2019, 07:50:28 PM »
According to Birmingham Online, the top player rating score was 7, six players were given 7, Bartley was included in the six.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2019, 08:20:23 PM »
I agree with thebrom,we should have won by a couple of goals.
I like the fast pass across the back two c/b to switch play I like the way Slav is trying to play through then wide very promising to see us play to feet without the effort.
I thought we've found gems in Fergie & Edwards,I like krov as well,I though we were pretty good up until the 18 yard box,which will improve with Charlie up top.
I felt we lost our way when HRK came on ,but we kept on trying to play football,a massive improvement on last year as we have players who look at ease with the ball.
I thought Millwall played like a pub team how many times did their players go down for an age?
One final point,was the grass longer than usual or was it my eyesight?
Once Slav has got his team right we will be a very difficult team to beat and playing attractive positive football as well,we looked very classy at this early stage of the season,7 out of ten for me.

Wbamitch

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #223 on: August 10, 2019, 08:24:37 PM »
They pick you up and then drop you back down again, very frustrating.

Everything you come to expect from the game, a patchy performance where we mostly looked the better team and had a couple of 10 minute spells where we really took the game to them but other than that we were just not ruthless enough. To be fair we did try to play through them even in the closing stages where we usually get desperate with hopeful balls into the box. We moved the ball well but when the time called we just lacked the ability to up the tempo, lay the final pass or take the shot.

You were hoping and expecting that when we got the goal we would then go on and kill the game, instead we let the game pass by without going for the juggular and they got their goal the only way you would expect them to. After that I think they looked more likely, we just couldn't get it together.

It's frustrating as I think they are one of the poorer sides in the division, watching the game I was just thinking their are a very small amount of teams in the championship that despite a dissapointing performance we should see the game through and get the 3 points, they are one of them. A big throwaway for me.

The bench just had nothing on it that could change the game for us which was dissapointing, obviously the new players will step in and improve that situation but just one potential spark there could have helped. It's been mentioned previously that Zohore has gone off relatively early in consecutive games, granted he didn't do much in either game and missed a very good chance today I just would have liked to have seen maybe someone brought on to play alongside him, perhaps give him someone to link with him. It has been difficult to get service to him and truthfully see what he can bring to the team but that is two games he has gone off and we have lost the impetus. He at least has a presence and a body up there with him centrally perhaps can give the defenders some issues or give him some confidence to get in better positions. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:26:58 PM by Wbamitch »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »
I agree with the general consensus promising but lacking in the final third.

Some of the football first half was lovely to watch. Zohore has to bury that chance.

Second half wasn't as good.

I thought Ajayi found it difficult against their lad up front, resorting to foul after foul. Ferguson didn't impress as he did against Forest poor on the ball in forward areas and Edwards faded second half after a good first half.