Author Topic: Matheus Pereira  (Read 487430 times)

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

Re: Matheus Pereira
« Reply #1075 on: January 12, 2021, 03:26:30 PM »
Add to that I don't imagine he has anything in common with Allardyce when it comes to football

What does that even mean?

Every Allardyce side has had flair players..

As I said above I’ve listened to a few people recently who played under him who have said it’s a total myth that Allardyce is a ‘long ball’ merchant.

Infact he encourages his flair players to play football...

I’ve never understood this thinking. Baseless foundations based on an agenda and not the facts

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

matt_wba912

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1076 on: January 12, 2021, 03:46:25 PM »

As I said above I’ve listened to a few people recently who played under him who have said it’s a total myth that Allardyce is a ‘long ball’ merchant.

I’ve never understood this thinking. Baseless foundations based on an agenda and not the facts

the one thing they probably have in common is a desire to win beyond that I truly doubt they have much of a shared philosophy.  Do I know that for certain, no.  But one is an attack first skill player who wants to get on the ball as much as possible the other is a defence first, rigid organisation led manager.

I don't think its a controversial statement to say Sam is a more defensively minded manager.  He's not as bad as Pullis by any stretch but he's shown time and again that he's a % guy.  I'm sure I read an article a few years back during his Bolton days where he was talking proudly about how much he relied on stats to inform his tactics and the rigid game plans he developed off the back of it. Some of it was quite intelligent (where to position a player to ensure you pick up the clearance from a corner) but others were meat and potatoes for long ball traditional style games (we must have X balls into the box per game / we must not have possession in these areas of the pitch etc)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 03:48:17 PM by matt_wba912 »

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1077 on: January 12, 2021, 04:24:33 PM »

Why do fans of his previous teams want him gone even when the results have been ok?

In the games so far, how much evidence have you seen of getting the best out of our flair players?

Going by facts, every game we've played so far we've set up ultra defensive and hit it long, we've not had much possession (except against Blackpool), and chances created have been at a minimum.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1078 on: January 12, 2021, 04:27:58 PM »
Its quite obvious the players are to blame for this, unable to execute Allardyce's plans or unwilling to because they 'liked' Bilic.

That's crazy, you could use that same excuse for every manager ever then. 

"It's the player's who were unable to execute Pardew's plans or unwilling to because they liked Pulis", ergo, it's always the player's to blame.

Sometimes a manager has to look at his squad and see if the tactics he's employing suit the players.  You can't just always blame the players.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1079 on: January 30, 2021, 05:15:06 PM »
My count is 5 goals and 4 assists so far this season, for the sake of argument (because the comparison is often made), Grealish got 8 goals and 6 assists all of last season for a struggling Villa side.

Even if we’ve been bad as a team, he’s shown he can make it at this level.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1080 on: January 30, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »
My count is 5 goals and 4 assists so far this season, for the sake of argument (because the comparison is often made), Grealish got 8 goals and 6 assists all of last season for a struggling Villa side.

Even if we’ve been bad as a team, he’s shown he can make it at this level.

He's class and I feel sorry for him playing in this side with these tactics. He'd excel in a better team - already worth £30-£40m IMV.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1081 on: January 30, 2021, 05:23:47 PM »
Enjoy him while he’s here, an outstanding player
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1082 on: January 30, 2021, 05:28:44 PM »
Enjoy him while he’s here, an outstanding player

Should do well off him if we go down.

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1083 on: January 30, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »
Should do well off him if we go down.
Stay up or go down, I reckon he'll be sold in the summer. He's too good for us in our current state.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

Topman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1084 on: January 30, 2021, 05:37:39 PM »
How much do you think we can get for him?

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1085 on: January 30, 2021, 05:38:52 PM »
If he was half a yard quicker he’d be a whole other level!

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1086 on: January 30, 2021, 05:47:18 PM »
How much do you think we can get for him?
if he keeps scoring goals should bring in 30 odd million but I would hope we could keep him

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1087 on: January 30, 2021, 05:49:41 PM »
if he keeps scoring goals should bring in 30 odd million but I would hope we could keep him

We NEED to keep him.
He isn't a cash cow for Lai.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1088 on: January 30, 2021, 05:50:30 PM »

We NEED to keep him.
He isn't a cash cow for Lai.

He won't be here mate. Lai will sell him first decent bid.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1089 on: January 30, 2021, 06:22:02 PM »
Ironically a lot of people assumed he would struggle under Sam and yet he seems to be thriving...Seems Sam realizes he is our 1 decent player and so we need to give him more space and build around him.

Gilsey 56

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1090 on: January 30, 2021, 06:40:40 PM »
Just listened to Sam's interview on BBC and he said Periera is our most talented player, I was worried for a while when he first took over that Pereira wouldn't be in his plans but I think he is at the forefront, and now is starting to show the player we knew was in there.
In the beginning there was light.......Followed by the king Jeff Astle.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1091 on: January 30, 2021, 06:52:26 PM »
Big Sam is not playing him wide - one of our previous incumbent's many mistakes. If Pereira was played at 10 all season we may be a few points better off.

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1092 on: January 30, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »
Just listened to Sam's interview on BBC and he said Periera is our most talented player, I was worried for a while when he first took over that Pereira wouldn't be in his plans but I think he is at the forefront, and now is starting to show the player we knew was in there.

Superb second half when we had players pushing forward and options for him.

Another assist and another goal to his tally.
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1093 on: January 30, 2021, 06:54:50 PM »
Big Sam is not playing him wide - one of our previous incumbent's many mistakes. If Pereira was played at 10 all season we may be a few points better off.

He played him wide today, in fairness only took him 21 minutes to move him back inside.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1094 on: January 30, 2021, 06:58:07 PM »
He played him wide today, in fairness only took him 21 minutes to move him back inside.

I've clearly already erased that opening 21 minutes from my mind as I was annoyed at the time! It least it only took him less than a quarter of a game to rectify.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1095 on: January 30, 2021, 07:33:26 PM »
Streetwear ahead of what we have. 5 goals in 5 games easily done enough to earn his move come summer when we go down
O Albion we love you

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #1096 on: January 30, 2021, 11:18:41 PM »

I never understood why fans got concerned on this issue. Given our genuine lack of talent there was no way that Sam would have got rid of Pereira.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1097 on: January 30, 2021, 11:58:57 PM »
I never understood why fans got concerned on this issue. Given our genuine lack of talent there was no way that Sam would have got rid of Pereira.

Part of me did wonder, as Allardyce’s teams have generally provided very few chances for his forwards (see Everton) and so I thought Pereira might end up getting marginalised. My mind was put at ease though after reading a write up of him that did point out that Allardyce also has a history of building teams around his most creative player and allowing them to express themselves even if others in the side have to stay more rigid (as opposed to a Hodgson or Pulis who would expect all players to play their part for the pre-determined system).

Anyway, I’m glad Pereira is proving quite a few right that he wasn’t another Dorrans who couldn’t quite make the step up and fulfil his potential. Pereira has finally found his feet at this level and looks like a £20m+ playmaker now. When we go down, the likes of Palace, Newcastle, Southampton and Everton will be banging our door down for him.
Boing Boing

OhBilics

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1098 on: January 31, 2021, 11:37:20 AM »
For me it was never about him getting rid of him, more that he would either be bypassed by hoofing balls over his head, or played out of position on the wing, or by otherwise not using or misusing his talent. Any "getting rid" of will be done higher up, in the summer.
#BOGOLO

PHP developer for hire. Apply within.

Baltic

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #1099 on: January 31, 2021, 01:40:40 PM »
Its going to be a very sad day when MP moves on.  Unfortunately, it's surely odds on that this happens in the summer as we continue to struggle.  The only good news is that the lazy media are finally realising what we've got and hopefully they'll start talking about proper money for him.

The last player we had with so much talent was probably Laurie Cunningham and he went to Real Madrid for £1m which is similar to £50m - £75m in today's inflated market.  So I hope we start dropping leaks to the press if/when we are relegated that £50m is the starting price.

For now; even during some of our most inept performances I try to keep an eye on the grace and vision that is 'Pereira' what a talent!