Author Topic: 21 Nov 2020 Manchester United 1 Albion 0  (Read 44012 times)

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2020, 10:21:02 PM »
Just seems so pointless (like our team hoho), what's the point in VAR if it's not applied evenly?  How the hell do you miss the foul on Gallagher?  Or consider ours not a pen?  Or the foul on Robinson as he was clean through?  They were the only major decisions and the ref\var got every single one wrong.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2020, 10:21:49 PM »
"Since the start of last season, Manchester United have taken (18) and scored (13) more Premier League penalties than any other side. Some 16% of their goals have been from penalties in that time (13/79), the highest ratio of any side to have played in both seasons."

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2020, 10:22:18 PM »
Mate i don't rate Johnstone never have never will but to criticise him tonight for not staying on his line? Dear me.

I’m making the obvious point that the ONLY way to save a penalty is to keep a foot on the line when it is taken and yet Johnstone on both occasions jumps forwards a yard, illegally which is a bit brain dead, particularly the second time. That doesn’t mean he didn’t make a number of great saves which he can be praised for.

SirTonyM

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2020, 10:22:30 PM »
Watching Dazn in Canada, they bought on Dermot Gallagher. In the the build up to the handball and the foul on Gallacher he says that looks like a foul. Tim Sherwood of all people said "well its a foul in the same phase, so it should be no penalty". Gallagher says "I'm not sure its the same phase". Sherwood says "its 6 seconds!". Gallagher mumbles something...

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2020, 10:22:38 PM »
Well played the lads no fault of theirs today dodgy officials lost us that game from what you lads were saying, other than that did you enjoy it?
impossible to enjoy it, it was a football match, where there was no match, should be renamed a football bias
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #330 on: November 21, 2020, 10:23:19 PM »
I’m making the obvious point that the ONLY way to save a penalty is to keep a foot on the line when it is taken and yet Johnstone on both occasions jumps forwards a yard, illegally which is a bit brain dead, particularly the second time. That doesn’t mean he didn’t make a number of great saves which he can be praised for.

It's tough because you CAN step out when the ball is hit but the stuttering run up makes it really difficult to judge when he hits it.  If you wait until the ball is struck, then move your feet, you'll struggle to get any distance on a dive.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #331 on: November 21, 2020, 10:25:07 PM »
Photo going round of referee David Coote with his Manchester United display picture...
O Albion we love you

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #332 on: November 21, 2020, 10:25:23 PM »
Gutted again for the lads.

Worst thing about that VAR deicison is the ref gets it right first time,gives the penalty correctly. Then it gets passed to VAR who don't want to go against any big teams, they slide it back to the ref who is now full of self-doubt about his decision and aware that if he gives it rightly or wrong he will be scrutinised intensely for the next week and then takes the easy way out by not giving it after watching Conor get kicked in the shin a 2nd time.

Absurd.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #333 on: November 21, 2020, 10:26:03 PM »
VAR should be to even the game out, and make it fair and rule out poor decisions. It's doing everything but those things.

How is VAR going in other countries?
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

zac

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2020, 10:26:55 PM »
I can't remember the last time i was this angry at the end of a game.
Smethwick..

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2020, 10:27:01 PM »
I can't remember the last time I saw a goalie stay on his line I was gobsmacked when I heard it had to be retaken.

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #336 on: November 21, 2020, 10:30:12 PM »
I can't remember the last time I saw a goalie stay on his line I was gobsmacked when I heard it had to be retaken.

You’ve not been paying attention this season then. All saved penalties are checked automatically by VAR and retaken if the keeper has moved forwards off the line. So either keepers now stand a yard back behind the line and dive forwards or just dive sideways. You can’t do what Johnstone did twice and jump from the line. Shame as it was a decent save to stop the first one.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #337 on: November 21, 2020, 10:31:54 PM »
Ive got no problem with their penalty standing, sadly it was right to re-take it but to rule ours out due to cowardice is shocking.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:33:57 PM by gazberg »

KYA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #338 on: November 21, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »
You’ve not been paying attention this season then. All saved penalties are checked automatically by VAR and retaken if the keeper has moved forwards off the line. So either keepers now stand a yard back behind the line and dive forwards or just dive sideways. You can’t do what Johnstone did twice and jump from the line. Shame as it was a decent save to stop the first one.
Fair enough I haven't seen any football this season barring a few clips on Utube, you can tell the game has got me hooked!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:34:38 PM by KYA »

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #339 on: November 21, 2020, 10:32:51 PM »
Without wanting to be all doom and gloom, I was disappointed in us. Yes, we were on the wrong end of a very poor refereeing decision but we only created one good chance, which De Gea saved well from Townsend. We were ok at the back, Johnstone made some good saves but this isn't a good United team when the onus is on them to have the ball and create. We didn't show enough for me to think we will beat Sheffield United although I would love to be wrong.

Regards individuals, I think Townsend and Ajayi are improving and I was impressed with Gallagher. Johnstone played well but against a team that rarely crossed the ball, that isn't surprising as that's where his big weakness is, he is decent otherwise.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #340 on: November 21, 2020, 10:34:55 PM »
Without wanting to be all doom and gloom, I was disappointed in us. Yes, we were on the wrong end of a very poor refereeing decision but we only created one good chance, which De Gea saved well from Townsend. We were ok at the back, Johnstone made some good saves but this isn't a good United team when the onus is on them to have the ball and create. We didn't show enough for me to think we will beat Sheffield United although I would love to be wrong.

Regards individuals, I think Townsend and Ajayi are improving and I was impressed with Gallagher. Johnstone played well but against a team that rarely crossed the ball, that isn't surprising as that's where his big weakness is, he is decent otherwise.
and rattled one off the bar !
Albion Family !!!

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #341 on: November 21, 2020, 10:35:50 PM »
Ive got no problem with their penalty standing, sadly it was right to re-take it but to rule ours out due to cowardice is shocking.

Thing is Gazberg that Gallagher was blatantly fouled to win the ball back for them right before the Furlong handball. So that should have been ruled out as well.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #342 on: November 21, 2020, 10:39:08 PM »
Thing is Gazberg that Gallagher was blatantly fouled to win the ball back for them right before the Furlong handball. So that should have been ruled out as well.

I was so angry from our robbery i didnt even notice this. Makes it even harder to take mate.

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #343 on: November 21, 2020, 10:39:26 PM »

Yup, here it is...

https://twitter.com/DarrenLewitt/status/1330274087189483521?s=20

And VAR is supposed to check for offences in the attacking build up.  It's why we were done against Chelsea because we touched the ball after the foul.  Joke.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #344 on: November 21, 2020, 10:39:29 PM »
This ref. has to be one of the worst. As Billic said, all the decisons went Man U's way second half. (Don't know how he managed to sound so calm afterwards) Peter Walton ex ref. said VAR is only if there is doubt in ref's mind. He should have stuck with his first decsion, but he gave in to pressure from Man U players, and was then pressurised to change his mind. Also said there was foul not given in build-up to Man U's penalty. 
Man U's impressive record of winning and scoring penalties at Old Trafford continues.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:45:26 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #345 on: November 21, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
Yup, here it is...

https://twitter.com/DarrenLewitt/status/1330274087189483521?s=20

And VAR is supposed to check for offences in the attacking build up.  It's why we were done against Chelsea because we touched the ball after the foul.  Joke.

Flipping hell thats made me feel even worse somehow!  What the hell is VAR for?!?!?!

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #346 on: November 21, 2020, 10:43:41 PM »
Yes the foul on Galagher before their penalty is the clearest thing of all. If you've got Rio Ferdinand, Scholes, Peter Walton ...and especially Tim Sherwood agreeing it was a foul then there's no argument.

On an aside.....given the Covid cases in our camp, Slaven didn't sound too healthy after the game.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #347 on: November 21, 2020, 10:45:26 PM »
I'm just shocked that so many are shocked !
Albion Family !!!

BaggieBoy04

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2020, 10:46:23 PM »
club with most fans in world gets all the decisions versus club with 30k fans, shock, horror
Sure have more than 30K fans probably more like 100K
Albion Pride Of The Black Country

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2020, 10:48:10 PM »
Yes the foul on Galagher before their penalty is the clearest thing of all. If you've got Rio Ferdinand, Scholes, Peter Walton ...and especially Tim Sherwood agreeing it was a foul then there's no argument.

On an aside.....given the Covid cases in our camp, Slaven didn't sound too healthy after the game.

Think it was his voice going from all the screaming he was doing during the game tbh.