Author Topic: We are going down ?  (Read 79278 times)

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

Re: We are going down.
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 06:58:55 PM »
That is all well and good but the players on the pitch today are more than good enough to see out a victory against a very poor Cardiff side. The fact is, like has happened before, even with our better players on the pitch, we've once again thrown away a winning position and today, inexcusably it happened twice.

Cardiff are not a poor side, they are a team getting to grips with the Premiership who have spent a lot of money on some decent players.
Baggie in Southampton

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 07:01:29 PM »
Clarke tried to 'grind out wins' and we were a complete mess. It's the players but the rot started under Clarke. Pepe Mel and the club management has a huge job turning this around, they must find fresh players and ideas and do a complete rebuild.

I agree it wasn't working towards the end of Clarke's reign, however Mel has taken us too far the other way. The focus on good defending appears to have been completely stripped out of us. Our set piece defending is a shambles and at times, we are so easy to play through from open play. Not really the qualities you'd hope for from a team scrapping against relegation.
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

Nocky

• WBA Coach

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 07:05:01 PM »
Cardiff are not a poor side, they are a team getting to grips with the Premiership who have spent a lot of money on some decent players.

But they're a team we need to finish above if we are to have ANY hope of staying up. Throwing away a 2v0 lead at home to a team in the bottom 3 is absolutely criminal. Throwing away the lead in the last 10 seconds having just scored your self is absolutely ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 08:51:16 PM by Quakes Fan »
"Champions aren't made in the gym. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision."

Muhammad Ali

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 07:05:44 PM »

If they're a team getting to grips with the Premier League then it is even more embarrassing that we couldn't hold onto a 2-0 lead, nor a 3-2 lead with less than a minute remaining. They have spent a lot of money, you're quite right, but they have only won 6 games all season, conceded over 60 goals, the second highest in the league and the reason for that is because they are a poor side.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

collins101

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 07:21:53 PM »
I'm clinging to the fact I think we have 3 "winnable" games left, Norwich, west ham and stoke.. IF we win those we'll stay up.. Anything from spurs, arsenal and city would be a bonus

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
I hope that, whatever happens next season, when we clear out the negative players, we can do the same with the likewise fans.

Because I think they can have a pretty detrimental effect too.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2014, 07:34:48 PM »
Because I think they can have a pretty detrimental effect too.

Can't use that as an excuse - fans were terrific today - the best we've been at The Hawthorns for a long time.

Still, even with the backing they received today, they couldn't do the job required.

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »
On the way home I thought we were pretty much gone the Palace result was a real kick in the bollox. However we are not dead yet but each opportunity we spurn brings us closer to the point where there will be no way back. Beat Norwich and we go ahead of them and as many pundits have pointed out their run-in is truly horrible. The point won't save Cardiff and I think Fulham are too far gone it is just a question as to whether or not we can scrape together the points to finish ahead of Sunderland Palace or Norwich.

Still very down about the result and the performance particularly after we started so brightly.   
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

GREGMT

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »
The reality is we have to get a win on the board in the next 2 games against Norwich (A) or Spurs (H).  We know that Man C (A) is a nil pointer.

I just feel 2 points or less from these 3 games won't suffice.  I can see Sunderland beating West Ham at home on Monday night.

Let's hope we can get some of the sidelined players back for these games.  We had some key players out today.

If we can win at Swansea then we sure can win at Norwich.  Let's stay positive until the last kick of the season.

RB

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 07:55:25 PM »
If anyone thinks that playing the way we did today, especially second half, is going to keep us up you must be on another planet, against a pretty average Cardiff side.

Our ball retention in midfield is non existent, and with the exception of Dorrans and Mulumbu who covered so much ground today to make up for the other non events playing there, nothing else was going on.

Our inability to see out games at this level will cost us our premier league place, professional players should not need coaching in how to do this.

On a positive the atmosphere today was great, keep playing the Liquidator!!!

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 08:04:20 PM »
Hard to tell with the lot out on the pitch being so poor, even Pepe must be flabbergasted much of the time. Somehow I don't think what we are seeing now is Pepe Mel football, it is what this squad is cabable of, it is simply too unbalanced and erratic. No manager can build a solid defensive unit from this lot, no manager can build an offensive team from this lot. We simply have to survive this season, tear this squad up and build again.

I'm sure the likes of Hodgson or Pulis would. We've chosen the wrong type of manager for the job in hand. Mel isn't good enough IMO. The board have to take full responsibility for this.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »
Totally speechless for an hour after the final whistle, then too angry to speak for another hour after that!

I have seen some unbelievable moments watching the Albion over the years but that was a shocking, shocking end to a game that we had just gone and won!

I still think that we will just about stay up though, not sure exactly how at the moment but we have been in far, far worse situations with far, far poorer squads.

This is still the same squad that has competed (and maybe over achieved) in the PL for the last 2-3 seasons, and unlike in earlier seasons, this squad is still capable of producing results even if we go behind in games.

There are still 6 teams in serious trouble at the bottom and we are all struggling to get those all important wins.

We are still sitting outside the bottom three and I would be surprised if the three teams below us and the two teams just above us will win more than 3 of their remaining games this season.

It’s going to be tough to survive, but to write us off already, and claim that we are already down is a tad premature in my view.

Do you not remember the Great Escape?
In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 08:44:37 PM »
It will be a straight shoot out between ourselves and Sunderland for that final position in my opinion. I think Fulham and Cardiff will drop - Cardiff won't be given presents like they were today every week. Furthemore, I can see Palace grinding out results from somewhere. They are hard to beat and Pulis has drilled them into an organised outfit and one that I believe will stay up. We could drag Norwich into it next week but I can't see us beating them and despite their horrid run of fixtures I think they have probably done enough.

As for ourselves and Sunderland. We're both poor teams who are struggling to win football matches. The game in May is going to be absolutely vital - a massive test of who can hold their bottle.

crazedwbafan18

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2014, 08:50:33 PM »
It will be a straight shoot out between ourselves and Sunderland for that final position in my opinion. I think Fulham and Cardiff will drop - Cardiff won't be given presents like they were today every week. Furthemore, I can see Palace grinding out results from somewhere. They are hard to beat and Pulis has drilled them into an organised outfit and one that I believe will stay up. We could drag Norwich into it next week but I can't see us beating them and despite their horrid run of fixtures I think they have probably done enough.

As for ourselves and Sunderland. We're both poor teams who are struggling to win football matches. The game in May is going to be absolutely vital - a massive test of who can hold their bottle.
Agreed, will feel a bit better if west ham win on monday has to be said.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
Today's result will be even sorer if Sunderland beat West Ham. Today was a chance to put some daylight between ourselves and the bottom three and we've failed to take it - if anything, today's result will serve as a massive boost for Sunderland.

dangerman

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »

I'm glad someone has brought this up!

We have shown no bottle. We bottled it today, we bottled it against villa, twice.

We have a team of bottlers.

If it goes down to that game against sunderland I know who my money is on and it certainly isn't us.

For the record I can see us going into the stoke game needing a win and I don't think we'll get it and odemwonga may get his wish of relegating us by scoring the winning goal.

Would just sum our last two years up nicely.

Hong Kong Phooey

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2014, 09:01:42 PM »
I'm glad someone has brought this up!

We have shown no bottle. We bottled it today, we bottled it against villa, twice.

We have a team of bottlers.

If it goes down to that game against sunderland I know who my money is on and it certainly isn't us.

For the record I can see us going into the stoke game needing a win and I don't think we'll get it and odemwonga may get his wish of relegating us by scoring the winning goal.

Would just sum our last two years up nicely.

That Stoke game is looking very ominous at the moment but hopefully it won't be an all or nothing game.

We are all in the same boat at the minute - interesting that us and Palace are the bottom 6 "form" teams  with only 2 defeats in the last five games, Norwich, Cardiff and Fulham have lost 3 and Sunderland have lost 4 (and failed to win)!

In football, as in life, facing up to difficulties makes us stronger…Carlos Corberan

kirk

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2014, 09:02:08 PM »
Gmac looked injured today and I think Reid is also carrying an injury. 2 fit players and we might just have won
It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you got to have is faith and discipline when you're not a winner.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2014, 09:04:28 PM »
One thing I will say though is that this side needs to discover a backbone and a bit of dirty side too. We're far too nice in my opinion. The backbone is obvious, we cannot hold onto leads and if we're going to change that then players need to start stepping up to the plate. Secondly, we are far too nice. I don't know about anybody else and I know it may be sporting, but why are we kicking the ball out of play whenever their players hit the deck? Let's discover a nasty side and play on and force the referee to make a decision. You didn't see Cardiff doing the same, in-fact, instead of kicking the ball back to our keeper they ballooned it out for a throw in and squeezed us in their half. Granted, it wasn't sporting, but it was a nasty streak we've yet to see from our side.

Likewise, whenever an opposition player hits the ground, our players are too focused on picking them up instead of watching the game - Mulumbu needs to be pulled aside and told that his biggest worry is what's happening in-front of him and not some opposition player who is sitting on the floor. All this picking up the opposition and shaking their hands every five minutes is doing my nuts in.

Discover a backbone, discover a nasty side and get some bloody wins.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 09:37:32 PM »
Cards on the table, I have bet on us to be relegated at 4-1, I stand to win £400 if we are, but, tonight, despite the result, I see some positives.

We did not lose.
A refreshed Olsson will be back next week.
Anichebe should be fit.
The form of Dorrans.
Jones and Yacob may also be back.

So some key players back for the run in, we can hardly moan at the players for lack of belief when we are so gutless ourselves.

Give it our all until the end, if we are relegated, live with it.
Baggie in Southampton

baggybazza

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2014, 09:46:58 PM »

What is the point of being so negative about every situation? There is nothing I can pose to you that you would be satisfied about.

2 weeks ago we beat Swansea away, something that seemed impossible given the situation. Now we draw to Cardiff everyone is instantly on the 'going down' wagon again.

I'm not going to speculate about where we can win because when it comes down to it anything can happen in the final 7 games. I just find absolutely nothing constructive to come from spouting off about how pooh we are and that we're going down just because we conceded late today.

Palace beat Chelsea today after playing well at Newcastle and losing with the last kick of the game - all we need is a little luck and to match the results of those below us - win lose or draw.

Yes its a negative reaction because most of our football has been negative since we gave a 2-0 lead away at reading in dec 2012 yes we have won a few games since then but in all reality this team is well past its best . Just remember most of our points last season were got before Christmas and we have been on a slippy downward slide ever since. So what do we do miss out on our only real chance in letting Lukaku go to Everton let Odimwingieeeeeeee go and sell Long to 1 of our rivals? to me that's not the best thing to do when its obvious were struggling up top and have been all season.
I pay good money to watch my beloved  Baggies and it hurts like hell when I witness games like today ..............but lets be honest did we deserve to win today ? after the first 20 mins we went backwards and eventually Cardiff got the upper hand and we started to struggle.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 09:52:54 PM »
What is the point of being so negative about every situation? There is nothing I can pose to you that you would be satisfied about.

2 weeks ago we beat Swansea away, something that seemed impossible given the situation. Now we draw to Cardiff everyone is instantly on the 'going down' wagon again.

I'm not going to speculate about where we can win because when it comes down to it anything can happen in the final 7 games. I just find absolutely nothing constructive to come from spouting off about how pooh we are and that we're going down just because we conceded late today.

Palace beat Chelsea today after playing well at Newcastle and losing with the last kick of the game - all we need is a little luck and to match the results of those below us - win lose or draw.

Yes its a negative reaction because most of our football has been negative since we gave a 2-0 lead away at reading in dec 2012 yes we have won a few games since then but in all reality this team is well past its best . Just remember most of our points last season were got before Christmas and we have been on a slippy downward slide ever since. So what do we do miss out on our only real chance in letting Lukaku go to Everton let Odimwingieeeeeeee go and sell Long to 1 of our rivals? to me that's not the best thing to do when its obvious were struggling up top and have been all season.
I pay good money to watch my beloved  Baggies and it hurts like hell when I witness games like today ..............but lets be honest did we deserve to win today ? after the first 20 mins we went backwards and eventually Cardiff got the upper hand and we started to struggle.

Good post, are we in the sh!te, yes, can we get out of it, yes, there are signs of improvement, at least we are playing in the opposition box at times, stick together and support the team.
Baggie in Southampton

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »
Cards on the table, I have bet on us to be relegated at 4-1, I stand to win £400 if we are, but, tonight, despite the result, I see some positives.

We did not lose.
A refreshed Olsson will be back next week.
Anichebe should be fit.
The form of Dorrans.
Jones and Yacob may also be back.

So some key players back for the run in, we can hardly moan at the players for lack of belief when we are so gutless ourselves.

Give it our all until the end, if we are relegated, live with it.
Too right. I've been following footie long enough to know there's always a surprise just around the corner.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2014, 10:03:48 PM »
Still remain confident that we will survive. As gutted as I am and will be over the next few days. For me looking at the table rationally I believe our goal difference may prove our saviour. It's gut wrenching to take today - believe me as a person who likes to remain positive - I was gutted. Players looked crestfallen.

Getting Jones back is imperative - Reid lacks zero mobility and in my opinion was to blame for goals one and two. His pass to Amalfitano was absolutely poor.

wba1993dave

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
Norwich and Spurs are both winnable and with Yacob and Jones hopefully back we can try and get 4 points from the next 2.Today was a big kick in the nuts but we felt the same against Palace in 05 and against West Ham when we bottled a 3-0 lead. Were 3 points above the zone and have better goal difference and a game in hand. We also play the likes of West Ham and Stoke who are most likely thinking of the beach. 2 wins would see us safe I think.

BOING BOING