Author Topic: Saido Berahino  (Read 2535264 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Saido Berahino
« Reply #1025 on: October 25, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
This may sound over critical but, he needs to vary his penalty kick, wide right of the keeper every time will leave him vulnerable to the best keepers.

Not sure about that. If you get it far enough in the corner nobody is stopping it, you can even tell a keeper where you're going to put it and he won't get it if it's far enough in the corner. I recall a video of this a few years back. Don't remember who was in it mind.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1026 on: October 25, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »
Not sure about that. If you get it far enough in the corner nobody is stopping it, you can even tell a keeper where you're going to put it and he won't get it if it's far enough in the corner. I recall a video of this a few years back. Don't remember who was in it mind.

It was very close to being saved today, Hennesey knew where it was going.
Baggie in Southampton

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1027 on: October 25, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »
It was very close to being saved today, Hennesey knew where it was going.

That's my point. He knew where it was going and still didn't get it, and he's got a good reach.

The Black Pearl

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1028 on: October 25, 2014, 10:18:47 PM »
That's my point. He knew where it was going and still didn't get it, and he's got a good reach.

Don't get me wrong, he is an excellent penalty taker, but a little variety would not go amiss.
Baggie in Southampton

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1029 on: October 25, 2014, 10:22:36 PM »
Don't get me wrong, he is an excellent penalty taker, but a little variety would not go amiss.
Many penalty takers don't actually change all that often, to the point a German keeper (Lindegard?) actually wrote them down on a piece of paper he kept in his sock during a World Cup (2006?). Even then that doesn't guarantee it to go in or wrong guess the keeper (see Gerrard as per our game at Anfield under Clarke)

baggies37

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1030 on: October 25, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »
Many penalty takers don't actually change all that often, to the point a German keeper (Lindegard?) actually wrote them down on a piece of paper he kept in his sock during a World Cup (2006?). Even then that doesn't guarantee it to go in or wrong guess the keeper (see Gerrard as per our game at Anfield under Clarke)

That would be Jens Lehman i recall.

He famously ran out of names as the last penalty was taken but made out he actually knew playing mind games with the penalty taker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqjNFjSvHV4
norwich baggies

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1031 on: October 25, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »
Berahino went the opposite corner against Newcastle, and Newport last season anyway.

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1032 on: October 25, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »
That would be Jens Lehman i recall.

He famously ran out of names as the last penalty was taken but made out he actually knew playing mind games with the penalty taker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqjNFjSvHV4
Knew it began with and L!!

Thanks for that.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1034 on: October 25, 2014, 11:47:10 PM »

Floydy

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1035 on: October 26, 2014, 06:36:08 AM »
As long as he keeps scoring - he will continue to be linked with a big club move
Twitter: @floydy1983

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1036 on: October 26, 2014, 08:14:43 AM »
The papers today are full of rumours that Liverpool will bid £25m for Berahino in January and will be in a bidding war with Spurs.

I'm realistic enough to accept that we are unlikely to hold onto him beyond this season, especially for that sort of money, but what would be the point of selling him in January?  Replacing him and settling in any new strikers takes time.

It is no use getting relegated with £25m in the bank, and I sure hope that we categorically refuse to do business to sell him in January, regardless of what then happens next summer.  Securing our Premier League status is far more important, and without his goals we are far less likely to survive.

Beyond that, I think we could spend £25m pretty well and really strengthen the squad, but we must make sure that we are not doing that from the Championship.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1037 on: October 26, 2014, 08:27:39 AM »
We won't be selling him in January.

Whether we keep him beyond this season, less sure. Personally I genuinely think he would benefit from another two seasons with us - he's still developing and with us he will always get first team.

But then of course, I WOULD say that.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1038 on: October 26, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »
If he keeps doing what he is doing then he will leave thats just the way it is.

He should stay the rest of this season and next season. Then see were we are at then. Moving any sooner would be a bad move for him becasue his development would stop becasue he wouldnt be in a top 4 starting 11 every week.

He will be 23 in two summers time so i think that would be a perfect time for him to move and test himself with the best

mulliganstired

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1039 on: October 26, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »
If he keeps doing what he is doing then he will leave thats just the way it is.

He should stay the rest of this season and next season. Then see were we are at then. Moving any sooner would be a bad move for him becasue his development would stop becasue he wouldnt be in a top 4 starting 11 every week.

He will be 23 in two summers time so i think that would be a perfect time for him to move and test himself with the best
I think this is what he should do... but I think he'll go next summer and sit on the bench somewhere for  a while, shame really.  Maybe try for the sell and loan back for a season dodge?

baggie96

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1040 on: October 26, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Berahino went the opposite corner against Newcastle, and Newport last season anyway.

And went top right against Liverpool. Easily the best penalty taker we've got.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1041 on: October 26, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »
He's not necessarily going to sit on the bench for a long time if he joined Liverpool or Spurs. With teams that create a lot of chances, he could score a lot of goals.

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1042 on: October 26, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »
If a club came in with 25million in January then I would snap their hands off.

If we reject it and Saido goes on to have a poor rest of the season then there is no way he would fetch that money in the summer.

overseas baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1043 on: October 26, 2014, 10:27:53 AM »

If we reject it and Saido goes on to have a poor rest of the season then there is no way he would fetch that money in the summer.

But wouldn't selling him in January massively increase our chances of being relegated?  What benefit is an extra £5m or £10m of transfer revenue if we suffer the cost of relegation as a result?

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1044 on: October 26, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »

Mate we could have 100 million in the bank but who would we attract as good as berahino? Nobody! Take his goals out and were struggling really bad,if we sold him for £25 million as you say then what? Who we going get in as good as him?  We can have all the money in the world but were still not going to attract top players!

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1045 on: October 26, 2014, 11:31:56 AM »
Chris Lepkowski on Twitter two hours ago: "He'll sign a new deal at some point.  Contracted till 2015 so other clubs interest irrelevant in many ways."

Panic ye not.

In the JP article that came out last week he made comment to Saido's rep having a meeting booked in early November. I dare say a new contract will be done by Christmas, avoiding the January panic.

Also, he means 2017. the contract is till 2017, so two years after the end of this season.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

swad35

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1046 on: October 26, 2014, 11:36:51 AM »
Are contracts worth the paper there written on these days? Clauses and stubborn stars almost make them worthless don't they.

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #1047 on: October 26, 2014, 11:58:28 AM »
Can we keep the transfer rumours for the transfer forum please and keep this thread for Saido himself

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1048 on: October 26, 2014, 12:11:17 PM »
We must keep him for this and next season
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

rajesh-wba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1049 on: October 26, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
Saido Berahino is a good player with decent potential. But I have to say some of the fees being mentioned are OTT. For me this is an indictment of English football.
As young, English strikers are so rare they carry such a premium tag! Would a foreign team entertain purchasing Berahino for said figures mentioned? Not a chance.

He needs to continue performing the way he is and there are still areas of his game he can improve.

As for who could potentially replace him - in an ideal world I think Peace would love a scenario where players from Academy eventually replaced players who were moved on.
For that reason - it could be someone like Adil Nabi who replaces Berahino - as if we were to sell Berahino for £25m+ - teams would increase their prices. As we've seen with Tottenham and Liverpool - sometimes money in the bank isn't a great option.