Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 416584 times)

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #600 on: July 16, 2015, 07:58:34 PM »
377-1 at close.

They're going to rack up an absolutely mammoth score.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #601 on: July 16, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
377-1 at close.

They're going to rack up an absolutely mammoth score.

I think we can safely say its 1-1. Best scenario we jam a draw.

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #602 on: July 16, 2015, 08:37:56 PM »
dont worry, root will get a double century. this test match will be a draw, the most boring wicket going this one
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #603 on: July 16, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
Too many catches dropped, but by and large, if you look at the bowlers figures they bowled quite well. not a  lot of life inn the wicket.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #604 on: July 17, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »
Pitch already looking quicker and bouncier than yesterday, shame they've had a 100 over head start. Turns out it was a massive toss to win.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #605 on: July 17, 2015, 02:28:26 PM »
A few wickets have gone down so it's 472-5 at the time of writing. Ozzies will be happy with 550+. If Smith gets his double century they'll be close to 500.

Broad was looking very handy in his last spell.

He/him

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #606 on: July 17, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »
I think its safe to say we wont win this one, but we shouldn't lose this one either
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

BobTaylor

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #607 on: July 17, 2015, 04:55:03 PM »
25 for 2 going bad so far need to get through today only 2 down, 3 at most.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #608 on: July 17, 2015, 05:14:07 PM »
4 down now.

Really poor batting this from England - Lyth setting the tone.

Ian Bell is looking horrendous at the moment - shame to see an elegant batsman looking all over the shop.

Greenock Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #609 on: July 17, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »
pray for rain.

Amazing how we were all being told the pitch was a batting pitch only yesterday. Yes it is a batting pitch when you can actually f******g bat !! Our clowns make it look like a ploughed field !!!
He's a lad from the Wrenna

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #610 on: July 17, 2015, 10:42:53 PM »
It helps when you have quick bowlers pushing 90mph. Wood, as good as he was in Cardiff, was too slow to merit inclusion in this test. Sky did a piece about how his front leg is now bending whereas at Cardiff it was straight.

All our bowlers were somewhere between 80 and 85, and it just wasn't rushing the batsmen. Johnson comes in and bowls 90+mph and funnily enough the pitch isn't half as bad as we were making it seem.

He/him

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #611 on: July 18, 2015, 12:07:20 AM »
It helps when you have quick bowlers pushing 90mph. Wood, as good as he was in Cardiff, was too slow to merit inclusion in this test. Sky did a piece about how his front leg is now bending whereas at Cardiff it was straight.

All our bowlers were somewhere between 80 and 85, and it just wasn't rushing the batsmen. Johnson comes in and bowls 90+mph and funnily enough the pitch isn't half as bad as we were making it seem.

Bowlers aren't the problem at all. On a pitch like this the only way to get wickets is either with the new ball or if the batsman gets themselves out. I would be very, very surprised if we don't go on to make 350+ even from this position because this is an extremely flat pitch. Our top order needs some work, Lyth is still finding his feet, Ballance also and Bell is woefully out of form. 2 of these 3 could easily be dropped, alas the next best player is deemed un-selectable.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #612 on: July 18, 2015, 12:45:14 PM »
Bell is making a habit of getting out to very good balls...which is a bit unlucky. Interested by the bit Nasser Hussain did this morning though showing how he brings the bat down from a wider angle than he was a couple of years ago which seems to be making him more vulnerable.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #613 on: July 18, 2015, 12:59:43 PM »
Really impressed with Ben Stokes - shame he has got out now though mind - England need a big partnership and a partnership to bat long. I can't see any of Ali, Buttler or the tail staying around long enough.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #614 on: July 18, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »
Good morning apart from loosing Stokes

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #615 on: July 18, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
Really impressed with Ben Stokes - shame he has got out now though mind - England need a big partnership and a partnership to bat long. I can't see any of Ali, Buttler or the tail staying around long enough.

Ali needs to bat as if he's back at no.3 and hang around with Cook. Bat long and aim for 350.

He/him

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #616 on: July 18, 2015, 04:28:07 PM »
Ali needs to bat as if he's back at no.3 and hang around with Cook. Bat long and aim for 350.
[/b]

Why 350 we need 367 to avoid the follow on

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #617 on: July 19, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
Well this second innings performance is one of the most inept batting performances I have ever seen.

We have quite obviously asked for slow pitches to negate Johnson and yet still we're being bounced out.

Australia need 1 wicket - currently leading by 408.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #618 on: July 19, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »
All out for 103 - bowled out in 37 overs.

Not expecting any changes yet but Jonny Bairstow scored another century this afternoon - increasing the pressure on Ian Bell, Gary Ballance and Adam Lyth.

I was looking forward to Edgbaston  ::)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:01:54 PM by LiamTheBaggie »

Dan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #619 on: July 19, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
England simply have to do something about the top 4. Cook is alright, but the other 3, at least 2 of them need to go. You simply cannot keep being 3 wickets down every innings for 30-40 runs and expect to win games. It's regardless of bowler quality, opposition, wicket. It's happened against West Indies, New Zealand, and Australia, it kept happening last summer too. Lyth just isn't very good, Ballance I like and his record prior to this was good but doesn't look comfortable against genuine pace so is pretty much useless against Australia, and Bell just looks useless against everything at the moment.

The bowling attack was pathetic too and pretty much gave up but they at least have one good game in the bank.

I'm unsure about Bairstow's mentality, much like the current batsmen he doesn't have the attitude you need to win the Ashes, that ability to dig deep. But his form deserves a chance, he's by far the most in form county batsmen so he should be in at a minimum. I'd also have Compton in for Lyth. England just need two openers who can see off the new ball, Compton is unspectacular but he does tend to stick around to see off the new ball, albeit scoring very slowly.

I do fear this team has had it now though, this was the exact kind of performance we saw in Australia. The team knew they'd lost one innings into the game and tamely accepted defeat.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #620 on: July 19, 2015, 05:08:15 PM »
By bowling full and straight Australia have negated the pitch. Doesn't matter if it is a slow pitch if you pitch it up and send it down at 90+mph.

Agree with the others on here - top 4 needs a shake up. Maybe promote Ali and Root up the order to 3 and 4?

He/him

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #621 on: July 19, 2015, 05:25:07 PM »
There might be reservations on Bairstow's character but given he is in the form of his life and others are so woefully out of form then I'm afraid I would have him in the side like a shot. He has been impressive in the CC all season and has three centuries in his last three outings.

As for who opens - god knows. Where do we go there? We've tried a few and they don't appear to have worked at all. I keep hearing talk of Alex Hales coming into the side but that's not something that appeals to me at the moment.

The concern I have at the moment is our powers of recovery. We saw in Australia that we were scared of their hostile character and those wounds have been re-opened. We can make as many changes as we want but there are plenty of mental scars out there, and on a flat, slow deck they have been re-opened. My fear is that our second innings today might become a platform for the remainder of the series.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #622 on: July 19, 2015, 05:45:02 PM »

Not expecting any changes yet but Jonny Bairstow scored another century this afternoon - increasing the pressure on Ian Bell, Gary Ballance and Adam Lyth.

I was looking forward to Edgbaston  ::)

Im sorry but that is pathetic. I know the Aussies have a good record at Lord's but that is unacceptable.

BaggieBirdRus

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #623 on: July 19, 2015, 06:13:45 PM »
This would be my line up for the next game at Edgbaston.

Lyth
Cook
Root
Bell
Ballance
Buttler
Stokes
Ali
Broad
Wood
Anderson

Although Root is settled at 5 I think we need to move him up to 3 and try a stabilise the top order when we lose an early wicket. I don't think we should actually drop anyone for the next one, after all we did win the pervious test match!

It's clear to see though that at least 3 are out of form with Bell being out of form for a while. He would be the one I'd only think of dropping but I think we should keep him in as it is his home ground.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:35:21 PM by BaggieBirdRus »
Ohhhhh Albion we love you!

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #624 on: July 19, 2015, 06:42:35 PM »
This would be my line up for the next game at Edgbaston.

Lyth
Cook
Root
Bell
Ballance
Stokes
Ali
Broad
Wood
Anderson

Although Root is settled at 5 I think we need to move him up to 3 and try a stabilise the top order when we lose an early wicket. I don't think we should actually drop anyone for the next one, after all we did win the pervious test match!

It's clear to see though that at least 3 are out of form with Bell being out of form for a while. He would be the one I'd only think of dropping but I think we should keep him in as it is his home ground.

Lots of byes going through that team!!
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.