Author Topic: 6 Oct 2018 Albion 4 Reading 1  (Read 37567 times)

botters

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2018, 09:44:18 PM »
I thought Barry was one of our better players. He controlled the game from central midfield.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »
For the first time this season I managed to watch more than half the game. Didn’t see Readings goal but I joined in with about 15 mins to go until half time and I couldn’t believe how poor we were. The amount of poor passes was remarkable and disappointing.

Gayle’s equaliser should never have been scored. How their keeper didn’t come out and grab Mears’ cross is anyone’s guess. Certainly no PL keeper would have made that error.

The whole Livermore/Brunt question was answered for me in just one game, Livermore was not good while Brunty livened things up in the second half.

While we scored four I still think all four goals, except the one by Barnes were more down to Reading’s poor defending.

Still 2nd place at this stage can’t be sneezed at and if squad improvements can be mad we should be able to challenge for the automatic promotion places.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2018, 10:21:41 PM »
Livermore has been looking leggy the last couple of games. Brunt did liven things up when he came on but we'd sort of turned the corner at that point and there was certainly a hell of a lot more space to be had compared to the first.

Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Dan87uk

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2018, 03:29:18 AM »
Twice in a week Livermore removed from centre midfield and we immediately start passing quickly and incisively to feet and more importantly forwards and to each other.

Deserved the win in the end, that should be the last we see of Mears despite the assist.

It's one of those rare moments Jacko when I agree fully with a comment you've made  ;)

Livermore was noticeably more sluggish today than even midweek and looked like he was running through treacle - then proceeded to give the ball away even on simple 5 yard passes...

As you say, hopefully the Mears project is over assuming Phillips is good to go after the International break.

On the downside, booing the team off at half time? Really? And then the cheering when Mears left the pitch was a disgrace. He’s one of us. He may be limited but he wears the stripes, support the bloke.

Pretty sure the booing was for the referee and his awful linesman on the east stand side as they'd just made a string of pretty poor decisions with throw ins and fouls etc.

As for Mears... what can you say... the guy was/is poor so it's going to happen, it did honestly feel like Moore only took him off to put him out of his misery with the fans starting to get on his back.

Interestingly there were a few noticeable sarcastic cheers in the Brummie road for when Livermore came off too.
The Only Dependable Thing About The Future Is Uncertainty

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
I thought Barry was one of our better players. He controlled the game from central midfield.

Superb second half once some energy had been introduced to the team, good game management. 

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

Sky Match Highlights
« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2018, 10:53:53 AM »

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
An enjoyable game in the end. Poor first half, we just seemed so disjointed, as bad as Sheff Wednesday. Livermore looked tired and was well off it. Barry was solid. Mears is a right back being asked to play a position he doesn't appear to understand and is not comfortable at it so why play him there?

2nd half we started more brightly and scored nice and early as we did at Preston, you could see the players relax after that. Very good substitutions by Moore exactly what was needed at the right time. Edwards for Mears was the right call as we needed to see some pace down the right hand side. I do think some of the cheers heard were for the fact that Moore was bringing one of the kids on rather than just because it was Mears going off.

Brunt was very good when he came on, his passing, crossing and corners were all spot on for a change and nearly everything he did had a positive impact for the team, I only remember him giving the ball away twice and that was in added on time. Maybe he's more effective as an impact sub.

Thought the ref and assistant (on East stand side) were very poor especially in the first half. The Reading number 6 was lucky to stay on the pitch as he made a cynical challenge on (I think) Barnes in the first half and escaped a booking, he was then booked for another cynical challenge in the second half that was further from goal than the earlier one.

Hats off to the bloke sat about 6 seats along from me who was shouting at Gunter all game, the best comment was after we'd equalised when he shouted "Hey Gunter, yor Gunter lose now". Even Gunter laughed at that!

Atomic

• WBA Coach

Re: Ticket Info & Requests
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2018, 12:41:34 PM »
Just for the record we didn't quite hit the 22,000. Home support totalled 21,958 with 907 from Reading.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2018, 01:39:49 PM »
Enjoyable game in the end.

We were slow first half and Reading defended very well. We didn't play through the lines and picked the easy option of playing it sideways and backwards. Certainly looked as though a few of those players require a break

Second half was much better and played with more urgency. We looked much better following the substitutions. The ball was controlled much better through the middle and allowed us to get Barnes and Gayle into the game. Edwards also did very well and provided us with the natural width that Mears was scared to provide.

Stuff to work on but great to leave The Hawthorns with a smile!

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
Just for the record we didn't quite hit the 22,000. Home support totalled 21,958 with 907 from Reading.
I bloody hope you are doing this for all home games now, there’s a bizarre fascination with knowing that you are doing this!
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
Agree with you hull about Mears. You can get away with playing an unfamiliar role if you've got bags of pace, it can easily get you out of trouble.

Without pace and you'll be too scared to be caught out of position. He's not a terrible player, just been asked to do a job he's unsuitable for. 

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2018, 02:08:46 PM »
I bloody hope you are doing this for all home games now, there’s a bizarre fascination with knowing that you are doing this!

I will give updates but maybe not quite as many as last week. I was off work and not well so had a bit too much time on my hands I think.  ;)

dont ask me to choose luv

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2018, 02:40:38 PM »
Twice in a week Livermore removed from centre midfield and we immediately start passing quickly and incisively to feet and more importantly forwards and to each other.

Deserved the win in the end, that should be the last we see of Mears despite the assist.

'Removed'  :D 12 games played, 12 starts, been subbed once, obviously being asked to do a job by the coach & seems he's doing that competently, DM is clearly rotating Barry & your love child  :-* which means Livermore is the fall guy for you, a couple of his passes went astray yesterday, as they did from Barnes, Gayle & even Sir Chris misplaced a couple  :o

No mention of the other 'boo boy' Bartley??

Do agree on Mears though  8)   
Life is about using the whole box of crayons!

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »

I agree that Livermore looked a bit tired and sloppy yesterday, and Mooro made the right decision to sub him, but let's not forget, Livermore has been one of our stronger players this season. He has been alot more positive, making good forward passes into dangerous areas. I think Mooro's formation suits him better than previous managers. Also, he is usually able to last the full 90 minutes much better than our other DM's.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2018, 08:53:02 AM »
Thank the Lord for Dwight Gayle is all i can say about Saturday's game. The first half was about as bad as it gets, another team coming here who, if they had a striker worth his salt, would have been 3-0 up by half time but thankfully, as Jacko said correctly last season, this league is truly awful so we got away with it again.

I said to friends at half time we will still win the game comfortably as you could see the Reading defence was not up to much, we just hadn't tested them. Keeper and defender had an absolute shocker for the first goal and the rest was thankfully history.

One of the worst games I have seen Livermore have, and that is saying something. Lost count of the number of simple passes he sent wayward. Felt extremely sorry for Mears, he knows he isn't up to it and grew further and further into his shell as the game wore on, signing him was an utter shocker from Darren and the fact he has played him in a few games even worse.

Thankfully our quality in attacking areas saw us through the game, but I remain dissatisfied by performances. We will win promotion at a canter, but there are a number of cracks being seriously papered over by Gayle and Barnes currently.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #240 on: October 08, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
I remain dissatisfied by performances. We will win promotion at a canter, but there are a number of cracks being seriously papered over by Gayle and Barnes currently.

I agree with all of this. Our best two players (currently) being loans and the fact that Dawson is the only decent defender have me worried for the future. But to be fair, at least it's fun now and at least we're not under Pulis anymore.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #241 on: October 08, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »

I will give updates but maybe not quite as many as last week. I was off work and not well so had a bit too much time on my hands I think.  ;)

Oh mate  :o, you could book a holiday day on a regular basis, you know it makes sense.  ;)

glad you are felling better BTW
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!