Author Topic: Championship  (Read 6789 times)

Dexy

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

Championship
« on: May 15, 2019, 12:33:12 AM »
9 months into it , was it harder than you imagined ?
Personally think theres 6 or 7 decent teams but the others are no push overs . Work rate from nearly all teams is huge , that has shocked me this time.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Bobby Taylor- Still Super to me.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: Championship
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 12:38:56 AM »
Personally think theres 6 or 7 decent teams but the others are no push overs . Work rate from nearly all teams is huge , that has shocked me this time.

No, we were just very badly managed and run.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 12:43:29 AM »

We lost Harvey Barnes, his invention and pace was the difference between top 2 and 4th.

Always expected it to be hard, as it was when were promoted before.

46 games Saturday, Tuesday and c rap officials.

No change from the days when they didn't see jordao's "goal" against the millers.

Hopefully, we get some big money in from those who want out and those freed and we build wisely with great signings and loans.

Easier said than done, but we need to get someone proven in this division like Hughton and hope Dowling can do something to earn his corn.

Gutted but Proud.

COYB.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:58:03 AM by BalisPen »

TheBrom

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 12:44:51 AM »
Think we can only blame ourselves for the meal we made of the season. Clearly better than almost all other teams, with the lack of depth of squad, lack of experienced coaching, and some very poor defensive errors throughout the season (think I saw we were 21st in the league for clean sheets). Really should have ended up in the automatics.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 12:46:25 AM »

Hasn't surprised me at all, it's one hell of a tough league. Outside of the Premier, the Spanish, German, French, Italian and Dutch top flights it's probably the best league in Europe and just the sheer number games takes it's toll.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
I think that given the self imposed issues (squad / management & coaching changes / the playing out with hoofers experiment / indiscipline ........) to have come so close to a) automatic promotion  b) almost making play off final just shows that the championship isn't THAT difficult. For god sake Vile and Sheff utd aren't that bloody good !

We could and should have been back in the premier league next season. Wether we would have been good enough for that is now a moot point however.

What we need now is a plan and a coherent strategy to implement the plan.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 08:59:21 AM »

No, we were just very badly managed and run.

Agreed. From the Bolton game, DM got subs and tactics wrong and it continued till he left. Jimmy did well with limited resources, but showed what could've been accomplished with the same set of players.

Our recruitment has also been a shambles. Who thought Murphy was a championship player?

Is it a tough league? Yes. Could a well run, organised team walk the league? Yes.

smethwickw

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:10:31 AM »
The standard generally has been pretty poor IMO. We ourselves have been mostly average all season yet finished 4th comfortably. The biggest mistake was appointing Moore as opposed to a more experienced coach.  This compounded by then sacking him without a plan. Despite some holes in the squad I still feel the right coach would have got us promoted automatically. The owner and board are clueless.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部    = Lai Guochuan, get out of our club

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 09:27:45 AM »
The standard generally has been pretty poor IMO. We ourselves have been mostly average all season yet finished 4th comfortably. The biggest mistake was appointing Moore as opposed to a more experienced coach.  This compounded by then sacking him without a plan. Despite some holes in the squad I still feel the right coach would have got us promoted automatically. The owner and board are clueless.
Never a truer word said!
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:29 AM »
We have made huge mistakes in the running of the club.  Relied too much on loan players and older players.

When we were relegated I thought we would have took a few seasons to build a good young side to win this league.  if you are going to hold your own in the premier you need to get out of this league convincingly. Its no good just sneaking into the premier through the play offs because you get found out.

I would rather see us competing in matches every week in the championship rather than seeing the likes of Man City and Liverpool banging in 5 against you every other week.

So now lets take time and build a good proper team.

baggiemart

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 09:36:29 AM »

We would have got automatic if we still had Harvey Barnes.  Our side at the start of the season when we were beating QPR 7-1, Bristol City 4-2, Leeds 4-1, Reading 4-1. winning away at Norwich, Sheff Utd and Villa, was easily the best team in the division.

I don't know how you can call that poor !!!!

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 09:40:01 AM »

Agreed. It's easy to make assumptions but I firmly believe if we had gone for Dean Smith at the start of the season (the man many of us wanted) we would have finished top 2.

royhan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
Our best hope for next season will be to recruit some of the best young player on loan from the Premier League's elite clubs. Harvey Barnes and Tim Abraham are two prime examples of the type of players that could be available. After all, we are certainly not going to be splashing the cash on permanent signings.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 09:51:41 AM »
I think we fans, in general, have had too high expectations for a squad grossly overestimated in the quality department, aided and abetted by poor management on and off the pitch.

We have Premier League Fans, a just above average Championship squad and a National League South Board
(South Teams: Bath City, Billericay Town, Chelmsford City, Chippenham Town, Concord Rangers, Dartford, Dulwich Hamlet, East Thurrock United, Eastbourne Borough, Gloucester City, Hampton & Richmond, Hemel Hempstead Town, Hungerford Town, Oxford City, Slough Town, St Albans City, Torquay United, Truro City, Wealdstone, Welling United, Weston super-Mare, Woking)
My apologies to the owners and boards of these clubs, no offence is intended.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 09:58:07 AM »
We have Premier League Fans, a just above average Championship squad and a National League South Board

Love that, bang on. The owner and board do not deserve us.
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

darbolina

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 09:59:59 AM »
As others have said, the blame for our failure to get promoted even with an imbalanced, ageing squad lies at the door of Jenkins primarily then Dowling in my view. Even after Moore left, there were enough games to go on a run and break into the top 2.

We had quality at the back and up front which in this division is usually enough 9 times out of 10.

Last time bought everything the three most criminal mistakes home to roost - lack of squad depth up front, an inexperienced head coach and a hole in midfield where most other teams have players who keep the ball and run with it!

wba_1996

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 10:28:05 AM »
Pretty easy league, we strolled to 4th place with 2 head coaches I’m probably better than and without a central midfielder who can run. We beat Villa 3 times out of 4 and they have the best squad other than us. All you need is a decent young team and a good manager, the rest of the top 6 have proven that this season. Unfortunately we don’t sign young players and our board hate good managers, we’re stuck here for the foreseeable.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 10:37:48 AM »
Poor league which we should have strolled with a decent midfield and a coach who would take no pooh from senior players. Under this owner who knows naff all about running a football club can see us struggle for next few seasons and wouldn't be surprised if 1st division awaits.

pete

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 10:41:30 AM »
Poor league which we should have strolled with a decent midfield and a coach who would take no rubbish from senior players. Under this owner who knows naff all about running a football club can see us struggle for next few seasons and wouldn't be surprised if 1st division awaits.
An owner that takes the time out of his day to come to the games!!!!!!!! Oh wait!  ;)

I cant help but agree
Kiss and make up sex is the best around, after all its better than no sex!

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
Would be nice if we got a manager in now instead of Aug 14th and let him have, within reason, the squad he feels he needs to do the job, and then do get promoted in style next year. Similar to when we lifted the trophy at QPR.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh. dream on
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 12:43:58 PM »
could be tougher next season,

Swansea - rebuild underway
Stoke - cash isnt an issue, just needs a decent manager
Hudd - decent squad for chumps
Cardiff - ditto, but will need Colin (spits) to hold them together
Fulham - my faves for a bounce back

2 of leeds / vile / derby, will be there or there abouts as will Brizzle, Sheff Weds, Forest
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 01:13:46 PM »
This season was everything i expected it be, the rough and tumble, the funny results that happen. However there are a lot of very average teams in this league. I thought after winning at QPR in the manner that we did, we would go on and get the job done.

Stoke spent millions last summer got nowhere near the playoffs, Swansea will struggle as I see the likes of McBurnie on his way out. Are Cardiff a decent enough championship team or is it more down to Warnock who just knows what to do in that league.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
could be tougher next season,

Swansea - rebuild underway
Stoke - cash isnt an issue, just needs a decent manager
Hudd - decent squad for chumps
Cardiff - ditto, but will need Colin (spits) to hold them together
Fulham - my faves for a bounce back

2 of leeds / vile / derby, will be there or there abouts as will Brizzle, Sheff Weds, Forest
mid table finish me thinks, well we are a mid table Championship team who won't over achieve with this owner.

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 01:20:05 PM »
Think of all of the points we have lost due to p*****g around with it at the back.

I didn't think we'd get promoted this season for two reasons:-

1) I though Big Dave wasn't experienced enough to cope with the Championship and

2) I thought we would lose more players than we did.

With the right appointment at the start of the season and the players we kept and then added to we should have strolled this league.

The finger of blame should be well and truly pointed at the board for DM appointment but the appointment of Graeme Jones (presumably on the recommendation of Moore) was a disaster. 

Now a rebuild is on and we are really heading in to the unknown.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 01:26:10 PM »
Its a poor league and there is not much quality to it - a lot of industry and the rough and tumble expected within this division.

I think our squad wasn't shaped well in the summer - and the club have often relied on individual quality to see them through.

This squad is about consistency - and we have shown very little. I don't think we have helped by our attitude to be honest.

Also, this pratting about with the ball at the back - whilst admirable - was plain bloody stupid.

That January and February period where we repeated the same mistakes and has well and truly bitten us on the backside
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom