Author Topic: Darnell Furlong  (Read 83993 times)

halifax_baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Darnell Furlong
« Reply #600 on: March 08, 2024, 04:12:36 PM »
goal line clearance was very good, but the rest of his play was just an accident waiting to happen.
Totally agree, he has 3 attributes, he is athletic, can head the ball and has a long throw
Doesn’t make him a footballer

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #601 on: March 08, 2024, 07:30:53 PM »
Totally agree, he has 3 attributes, he is athletic, can head the ball and has a long throw
Doesn’t make him a footballer

Those 3 things stand him in good stead though at this level.

timdon

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #602 on: March 08, 2024, 08:20:14 PM »
Those 3 things stand him in good stead though at this level.
Some of the comments about Furlong and Townsend (not to mention Palmer) are hard to fathom. We have the third best defence in the division (by a distance) in terms of goals conceded, yet apparently we have 2 full backs who are dreadful footballers and a goalkeeper who is error prone and whose kicking is terrible. Something isn't adding up and that's putting it as politely as I can.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #603 on: March 08, 2024, 08:27:12 PM »
Some of the comments about Furlong and Townsend (not to mention Palmer) are hard to fathom. We have the third best defence in the division (by a distance) in terms of goals conceded, yet apparently we have 2 full backs who are dreadful footballers and a goalkeeper who is error prone and whose kicking is terrible. Something isn't adding up and that's putting it as politely as I can.

I agree, i can't get my head around it. Don't get me wrong, I often agree with a lot of posters saying our players are not amazing (they are not) but then i wonder at the same time who else they are watching in the Champo that have players that are so far superior week in, week out outside of the 3 relegated PL teams.

There are 3/4 players i hope get moved on in the summer but for a champo team we don't have it bad.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #604 on: March 08, 2024, 09:47:31 PM »

Something about team being greater than sum of parts, or something along those lines. We have a genius of a manager who sets us up and does that much work on the training ground that everyone knows what they are doing to the nth degree.

It’s not that hard to get your head around really. Think back to the Megson days, did we have the best individual players? Certainly not, but were we effective still because of how he set us up? Too right we were

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #605 on: March 08, 2024, 11:34:07 PM »
I don't get it either. Maybe some think labeling a player professional, means they all should have the same ability.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2024, 12:23:57 AM »
It’s all about opinions I personally don’t rate Palmer has highly has most but he his an average championship goalkeeper who is at his peak whilst I think in Griffiths we have a goalkeeper who could given chance exceed Palmers peak but at the moment Palmer is doing ok all be it drops the odd blooper which always seems to cost us unluckily
Regarding our full backs both have strengths and weaknesses and has someone else said a well coached defence can exceed individual talent but those weaknesses do surface on occasion
Furlong has improved his positional awareness under CC and is a decent athlete with an aerial presence
Townsend covers the left flank well and has a decent delivery but gets caught out of position too often
Would I like better hell yes
Do I criticise them when there weaknesses surface yes
But I will also give praise where due and I think other areas of the team are in need of refreshing in the short term

baggie82

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2024, 10:46:07 AM »
If we had an award for most improved Albion player 2023/24 I think Furlong would taking gold. He is calmer in possession and despite not being the most gifted of footballers is very athletic and excellent in the air. That header of the line was sensational.

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2024, 10:58:26 AM »
Exceptional headed clearance in all fairness.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2024, 07:22:20 PM »
Anyone know what the incident after the final whistle between a fan in on the half way line 2nd or 3rd row and Furlong?

Furlong was finger pointing at him and saying stuff and Alex Palmer came over and had a go at the bloke too and seemed to mouth f off  before going back to celebrate and leaving DF to carry on finger pointing and saying stuff. He looked really annoyed.

It was all in front of the stewards who didn't feel the need to step in.

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #610 on: March 17, 2024, 02:32:26 PM »
Excellent again, well done.
Gera, Gera, Gera

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #611 on: March 18, 2024, 12:48:15 PM »
Excellent again, well done.

Agreed.  Been vastly improved this season. 
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #612 on: March 18, 2024, 11:30:32 PM »
Think he has been one of our most consistent and best performers for this season. I think if it hadn't been for the form of kipre and the central midfield pairing he would be getting more praise.

He does have limitations as a footballer but he is an athlete and good in the air.
O Albion we love you

zippyandbungle

• WBA Coach

« Reply #613 on: March 19, 2024, 07:27:09 AM »
Think he has been one of our most consistent and best performers for this season. I think if it hadn't been for the form of kipre and the central midfield pairing he would be getting more praise.

He does have limitations as a footballer but he is an athlete and good in the air.
I think the difference between pre Christmas and since has been noticeable.
Can never doubt his energy but he has certainly improved of late.
If youre going to get told off, get told off for doing something not for doing nothing..

SmethDan

• WBA Coach

« Reply #614 on: March 19, 2024, 08:01:54 AM »
Here's to Darnell continuing his rich vein of form.
It doesn't matter how many resources you have.
If you don't know how to use them, they will never be enough.
Oh, and always remember to defecate on those Vile chaps in claret and spew.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #615 on: March 19, 2024, 08:47:50 AM »
Yep, much improved as of late. A lot more consistent than he has been before.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #616 on: April 01, 2024, 07:40:22 PM »
What a great goal.

Keep up the good work DF.

luke.jones1234

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #617 on: April 01, 2024, 09:02:07 PM »
I thought he was really poor today ,but FairPlay to him for that strike

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #618 on: April 01, 2024, 10:18:58 PM »
Watched the highlights back, great goal but i felt he possibly could have done better for their 2nd i think it was, caught himself on the spin. Still the wonder strike probably cancelled it out

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #619 on: April 01, 2024, 10:31:16 PM »
Watched the highlights back, great goal but i felt he possibly could have done better for their 2nd i think it was, caught himself on the spin. Still the wonder strike probably cancelled it out
Swings and roundabouts.  :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #620 on: April 01, 2024, 10:36:26 PM »

He definitely should have done better for their second goal.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #621 on: April 01, 2024, 10:38:32 PM »
Swings and roundabouts.  :D

Pretty much!

He definitely should have done better for their second goal.

Thanks, glad i didn't feel alone in thinking that.

KnaveofAlbion

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #622 on: April 01, 2024, 10:48:31 PM »
Neither of our fullbacks are god defenders. They are however the best fullbacks at the club currents. I expect both to be replaced this summer.
Whenever things look bad, remember the Port Vale, Grimsby and Walsall days... not so bad now, eh?!

Formally Solo_Baggie, now one ID for all Baggie internet input

boingboing1989

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #623 on: April 01, 2024, 11:31:14 PM »
Worst performance of whats probably been his best season at the club, at fault for the second goal but redeemed it with a wonder strike.

He seemed to get rattled by the Watford play acting and the ref as he went to pot after a talking too.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #624 on: April 02, 2024, 12:56:51 AM »
Neither of our fullbacks are god defenders. They are however the best fullbacks at the club currents. I expect both to be replaced this summer.

There are a lot of atheists and Darwinists around these days and even though DF resurrected our po bid, those God botherers outside the Brummie before games, aren't everyone's cup of tea.