Author Topic: Stadium Expansion  (Read 551989 times)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

Re: Stadium Expansion
« Reply #1426 on: April 15, 2014, 10:09:21 PM »
A drive through coffee shop  >:( so lets get this right albion have sold (or leasing)the site to starbucks or some other coffee chain?Whats wrong with a bloody pub :( modern day football :(

Hunnington Baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1427 on: April 15, 2014, 10:23:14 PM »
A drive through coffee shop  >:( so lets get this right albion have sold (or leasing)the site to starbucks or some other coffee chain?Whats wrong with a bloody pub :( modern day football :(
Nobody wants to make it into a pub, but a coffee chain wants to make it a coffee shop... makes total sense to me. Sell it to who wants it.

Unless of course someone wants to stump up and lease it from them and fix it up and make it a pub again? anyone?  :)

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1428 on: April 15, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »
Why the surprise at a coffee shop? It was mentioned on this thread almost a week ago.

Starbucks are moving their trade over to a drive through style rather than a shop. So good chance it will be Starbucks who have shown an interest.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1429 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
If it's a coffee shop, hope it's not that well known American chain, unless you like a large mug of water with some flavouring. More importantly, I hope the plans leave space for an expansion of the Halfords Road stand. It's not necessarily for now, but for the future. Anyway, good to know that the club own the land, and hope they hold on to it, to save being held to ransom by some other owner.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:16:36 PM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1430 on: April 16, 2014, 08:18:13 AM »
Costa Coffee
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

Chipperfan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1431 on: April 16, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »
Costa Coffee

Well at least they're a UK outfit (I think).
Born Baggie. Die disheartened.

Jack Russell

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1432 on: April 16, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »
It should be a shrine to our greatests
WOOF WOOF  I always come I always care but sometimes bite

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1433 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
If it's a coffee shop, hope it's not that well known American chain, unless you like a large mug of water with some flavouring. More importantly, I hope the plans leave space for an expansion of the Halfords Road stand. It's not necessarily for now, but for the future. Anyway, good to know that the club own the land, and hope they hold on to it, to save being held to ransom by some other owner.

Spot on, I hope the vision of expanding Halfords has been kept in mind when planning this - don't won't to hear in a few year's time that we cannot now expand it because of the bl**dy coffee house !!!!!!!!
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1434 on: April 18, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
Few weeks ago I was talking to a guy who is a friend of JP, and there had been talk of us building a new stadium across the road where the bakery is. He didn't mention when this was talked about so its was probably something that was discussed a while ago, maybe even before we build the east stand. Wouldn't really want to move but maybe we are a bit limited where we are so i guess it was discussed as an option, doubt it would ever happen.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1435 on: April 18, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
Few weeks ago I was talking to a guy who is a friend of JP, and there had been talk of us building a new stadium across the road where the bakery is. He didn't mention when this was talked about so its was probably something that was discussed a while ago, maybe even before we build the east stand. Wouldn't really want to move but maybe we are a bit limited where we are so i guess it was discussed as an option, doubt it would ever happen.

Didnt Paul Thompson have plans for a brand new stadium before Peace took over? I seem to remember the e&s reporting on some american style stadium being built?

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #1436 on: April 18, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »
He may have originally but Thompson was the guy that led the East Stand build which would have been a bit bizarre if he was planning on us leaving the Hawthorns.
"This crack is really moreish."

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1437 on: April 18, 2014, 12:45:49 PM »
He may have originally but Thompson was the guy that led the East Stand build which would have been a bit bizarre if he was planning on us leaving the Hawthorns.

Im sure they looked at the option of building a new ground before the design for the east stand came out

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1438 on: April 18, 2014, 01:00:59 PM »
Im sure they looked at the option of building a new ground before the design for the east stand came out

I vaguelly remember that.

wbarenno

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1439 on: April 18, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
Some old interview

BBC WM's interview with Chairman Paul Thompson

Hot on the heels of the Press Conference, WM interviewed the new WBA Chairman

Tim Beech (WM): What plans do you have for the club?

Paul Thompson: I think people recognise that we've got some challenges at the club and, therefore, we need to look at some short term plans first before we can move on to longer plans. The club has been losing 30,000 pounds a week. It's been in turmoil and disunited, and our first aim is to re-unite the club, increase our match attendances - we'd like everybody out on Boxing Day and January 3rd to support the team. We want to improve our financial position and bring stability to the club. Once we've achieved then we want to move on, and I've said I'll take on the job for 3 years. During that 3 year period, I'd like to see us in a top 6 position challenging for the Premier League, redeveloping the Rainbow Stand or possibly moving to a new stadium and obviously developing the training ground and the youth academy.

TB: If you're losing 30,000 pounds a week, though Paul, it doesn't really suggest that there's going to be much money for Brian Little to improve a side that's currently 15th in the First Division?

PT: I agree with you there, and I think it's a sad situation that we are in that position. There is currently no money in the club of any significance for new players, but we have got some good players at the club. Brian's got some plans to put in place to try and improve our position and he and I are going to be working closely together. We will make some funds available for new players and, once we can stabilise the club, reduce our losses, then we can start to build and then we can start to make the sort of improvements that Baggies fans deserve.

TB: Clive Stapleton and Barry Hurst have rejoined the Board. What's the thinking behind that?

PT: I'm pleased that the Board have invited them back. I think it's important that we utilise the experience and talent that's around the club and I think people, over the last 12 months, have come to appreciate more, perhaps, what some of the silent board members have been contributing to the club.

TB: Brian Little has said this morning in the news conference that he's 100% committed to the job. You spent a long time with him yesterday talking it through - was it difficult to persuade him to stay at Albion?

PT: I think that Brian shares many of the same hopes and objectives for the club that I share with him, and I think it's vitally important that the Chairman and Manager of the club work closely together. Clearly, Brian's role is vital to the club. He's got vast managerial experience. I think we're very fortunate to have him at the club. As we chatted yesterday, we found so much common ground that we were both encouraged and we feel that we'll be able to work together to help the club move forward.

TB: So how will the management structure work now, because this has been a big issue over the past week or so? People have been asking for clarification about what their role is. How is it going to work?

PT: Well I think you need clear responsibilities and clear lines of reporting, and Brian will be working closely with me. I'll also be working closely with John Wile, who I think has had a difficult time, along with Brian, over the past few months. I think John has done a great deal for the club, he's got a lot of experience and will play a key role. Clearly Brian is responsible for all football matters and will have the last word on any football matter while I'm Chairman.

TB: Finally, and I think this is a question that would occur to any rational person, why should any person like yourself, who's been successful in business, want to come into a club that isn't actually your home town club - you're from Barnsley as you've said in the press conference and you've worked in Sheffield a considerable amount - why would you want to come in and take over a football club, be Chairman of a football club, that's losing 30,000 pounds a week, that's 15th in the First Division, and seems to be disunited?

PT: Well we've got tremendous supporters at the club, and I think we've got a huge amount of latent support. I think the people that have maybe not been to The Hawthorns for a while may be encouraged now to come and support us. If we could get another 4,000 through the turnstiles, it would help the club tremendously and move us forward and, obviously, we've got a great fixture with Manchester City - the last match of the 20th Century. And then the first match of the 21st Century against Barnsley, which is the place I was born. I'd like us to give them a good thumping on January 3rd!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1440 on: April 18, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
Thanks for that, it's a good read!

Where is Thompson these days?

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1441 on: April 18, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »
I heard him being interviewed a year ago, he still looks out for our results.Is he wealthy?
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

Yardley

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1442 on: April 18, 2014, 09:53:25 PM »
Didn't realise we were in such a dire state back then, losing 30k a week!. Makes you realise how lucky we are today.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1443 on: April 18, 2014, 11:54:57 PM »
Didn't realise we were in such a dire state back then, losing 30k a week!. Makes you realise how lucky we are today.

If we'd have gone down we'd have likely gone bust. Megson literally saved the club.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

tylerm

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1444 on: April 19, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »
If we'd have gone down we'd have likely gone bust. Megson literally saved the club.

You are correct
We were forced to sell Kevin Kilbane to keep the club afloat at one point
The sale of Enzo Maresca was also crucial to us as that raised much needed cash the time

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1445 on: April 19, 2014, 11:38:30 AM »
You are correct
We were forced to sell Kevin Kilbane to keep the club afloat at one point
The sale of Enzo Maresca was also crucial to us as that raised much needed cash the time

signed on a free (sounds familiar)left us in January 2000 Maresca moved back to Italy and joined Juventus FC, in a transfer worth £4.3 million, a club record sale for Albion at the time

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1446 on: April 19, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
Off the pitch Paul Thompson got the ball rolling, and JP picked it up and took us on again.

On the pitch, Sir Gary still remains my favorite Albion manager for what he did, when he took over after Brian Little we were awful, we had players such as Andy Townsend who was so out of shape by then it wasnt even funny!

The club was going only one way and then on the deadline day we signed Neil Clement, George Santos and a fella named Bob Taylor, stayed up last day when it was out of us or Walsall and since then we have never looked back.

I know Megson fell out with a few but he was exactly what we needed, he sorted us out and put pride back into us on the pitch and a lot us being an established Prem team now is to what he did then. Why a lower league club like a Coventry, Portsmouth, etc who have fell from grace didnt get him in as the boss i dont know.

I know this post is not actually anything to do with Stadium Expansion but as last couple of posts were about those days it was nice to look back on great times!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1447 on: April 19, 2014, 01:08:40 PM »
We also signed Des Lyttle and Tony Butler aswell. The latter being one of the most underrated Albion players of that decade IMO.

Raglan

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1448 on: April 29, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »
The club has made application to Sandwell Council planning department to remove the control room in the Smethwick end and replace the terracing and seats.Thats J.P ' ground expansion for you. Do the Halfords I say and be brave.!!

BB74

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1449 on: April 29, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
The club has made application to Sandwell Council planning department to remove the control room in the Smethwick end and replace the terracing and seats.Thats J.P ' ground expansion for you. Do the Halfords I say and be brave.!!

Link for planning app? Can't see it on SMBC planning portal.