Author Topic: 10 Nov 2018 Albion 4 Leeds United 1  (Read 56560 times)

BoingFlyer

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2018, 09:45:13 PM »
Agree with everything except Rodriguez, still thought he was the sexiest link and the one who should make way for Gayle.
Harsh to criticise I know but it we can build on this we are back in contention

I dunno mate, J rod is much better looking than Gayle.  ;D
Make Mercia Great Again. #MMGA

Baggie79

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2018, 09:53:01 PM »
HRK was virtually perfect today (No need for the dive), great team performance and fully deserved win.
Gera, Gera, Gera

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #227 on: November 10, 2018, 10:07:44 PM »
I think it was down to Gayles hairdo...its much better....no coincidence we looked better  ;D
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

caravanc58

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #228 on: November 10, 2018, 10:13:24 PM »
Leeds got off light, could easily have been 6 or 7 goals for us today.

dan7heman

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2018, 10:45:41 PM »
Attitude was amazing. . Well done lads you deserved it.

Keep going Dave.
It is a mistake to theorize before one has the facts. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

fatboy_coach

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #230 on: November 10, 2018, 11:18:45 PM »
Did it show as a dive on TV? From my position in the ES it looked like a pen.

They didn't show it close up, well not that I can remember. But the ref was quick to book him.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #231 on: November 10, 2018, 11:30:22 PM »
Be honest mate, we all feared the worst but the Big Man got it right, hope everyone can be  just as big and admit he got it right.

Totally agree. I was fully expecting to watch the game from behind the sofa. But we were outstanding.

liverbaggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #232 on: November 10, 2018, 11:34:27 PM »
Tremendous result for us today, all played their part,Dave and his team and the fans.
Pity there manager didn't have the gonads to say that his team were outclassed by a better team,no respect there.
I noticed that some Leeds fans did say how well we played.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #233 on: November 10, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
I thought we were absolutely brilliant and for me that stemmed from the defenders looking comfortable within a system for the first time this season. Bartley and Brunt should never get anywhere near our starting eleven again this season, I am just glad, as horrible as it sounds, that they were both injured for this one as I truly believe Darren would have started them both if they were available.

It is extremely frustrating for me that we have had to wait this long for him to play the system that suits the players we have, I and many others have been calling for it for a long time now yet our head coach has been oblivious up until now which is quite the concern.

Many have disagreed with me that we have the best squad in this division, but look at our bench today, Sako, Hoolahan, Barry, Gayle...it just shows how much strength we have in attacking areas. Keep the back four that started today for and we should romp this league.

I am just pleased we have finally put in a good all round performance for the first time this season. I thought we were superb and I was proud to be a Baggie for the first time in a while. Please do not start tinkering Darren.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 12:26:51 AM by Fritzl Palace »

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #234 on: November 10, 2018, 11:36:31 PM »
Just to clean something up. We did NOT play 4-4-2 today it was clearly 4-3-3 as below:

Johnstone

Tosin           Daws                         Hegazi              Gibbs

Phillips           Livermore              Mozza

Kanu                         J Rod                                    Barnes.

Let's make that clear because some people on the radio and on forums are wrong.

I'd like to say a big well done to Darren Moore. Some of us have been going on about 4-3-3 for ages. Finally this week he abandoned the 3-4-1-2 obviously against the wishes of Graeme Jones and gave us the system that most suits us. Boy did we look better for it.

I was a bit surprised to see Kanu start on the right of the three and Phillips (playing the role I'd advocated for Sam Field) but credit where it's due both were superb today.

For the first twenty five minutes we were easily the better team just lacked a goal. Leeds are a good team though, as good as anyone we've come up against this season and towards the end of the first half they came back into the game a bit more.

Second half once we got the goal we could afford to concede possession and wait for the breakaways. The 4-3-3 gives you the best of all worlds. You can play on the front foot, you can keep possession or you can play direct or retreat and play on the counter without losing your shape. That's exactly what we did. It also gives you a flexibility i.e. Barnes / Kanu swapped sides temporarily and Kanu scored - it asks defenders different questions, unsettles them. Their 'keeper had a nightmare for Phillips' goal but that's their problem not ours. Great finishes from Barnes and Gayle topped off by a country mile our most solid and complete performance of the season. Today we looked like a real football team.

A shame we didn't get the clean sheet, the boys deserved the clean sheet but in truth it was a bit of a "meh" moment when they got their goal.

Now, hopefully Darren will stick to this system. We can tamper with personnel a bit here and there, not a problem but today this was exactly what we've been waiting for.

On what basis was the change in formation against the wishes of Graeme Jones? It’s quite possible that they actually work as a team and agreed the change between them. So again, on what basis was this against the wishes of Graeme Jones?

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2018, 11:36:51 PM »
Tremendous result for us today, all played their part,Dave and his team and the fans.
Pity there manager didn't have the gonads to say that his team were outclassed by a better team,no respect there.
I noticed that some Leeds fans did say how well we played.

To be fair to Leeds fans a lot of them on social media have said we are the best team they've played this season.

I didn't bother to tell them that we changed our system I just pretended we were always that good.  8) ;D

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2018, 11:39:47 PM »
On what basis was the change in formation against the wishes of Graeme Jones? It’s quite possible that they actually work as a team and agreed the change between them. So again, on what basis was this against the wishes of Graeme Jones?

Graeme Jones stated in a Q&A session (with Harvey Barnes) earlier in the week that we wouldn't change from 3 at the back (something to do with the supporters club I think).

According to local radio there has been some "debate" between Moore and Jones this week and reading between the lines it would appear that Moore has pulled rank.

GrGr

• WBA Coach

« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
Well done team and management!  ;D

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #238 on: November 10, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »

Graeme Jones stated in a Q&A session (with Harvey Barnes) earlier in the week that we wouldn't change from 3 at the back (something to do with the supporters club I think).

According to local radio there has been some "debate" between Moore and Jones this week and reading between the lines it would appear that Moore has pulled rank.

No self respecting coach is going to sit in a forum and announce the specifics of a formation in my view. There’s no doubt in my mind that they would have agreed this as a management team.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #239 on: November 10, 2018, 11:46:27 PM »
No self respecting coach is going to sit in a forum and announce the specifics of a formation in my view. There’s no doubt in my mind that they would have agreed this as a management team.

As you wish. I don't really care as long as they come to the right conclusion lol.  ;)

baggiebof

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #240 on: November 10, 2018, 11:56:02 PM »
Thought we conceived and stuck to our game plan really well. Leeds are a good team and were right in this but once we got the first goal and the spaces open ed up, we were just too much.

Fair play to Big Dave for changing things. To surmise our problems so far this season: trying to play out from the back with defenders not that comfortable on the ball and a lack of legs in midfield. Well he dealt with these issues bu changing ths shape and style as well as different personnel. Dawson and Hegazi are solid and should be ahead of Bartley and Phillips in midfield actually looks inspired. It is poor however that we need to have him in there, we really should have a central midfielder with the attributes capable to play the role.

I know we've wanted changes prior to tonight's game but Big Dave's character is built on loyalty and trust, chopping and changing personnel and the style may have had a detrimental effect on morale. It's always easy for us as fans. Could things have changed sooner, sure, but the fact that he has addressed the issues that were present is a good sign and enough for me. Onwards and upwards.

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #241 on: November 11, 2018, 12:02:20 AM »

As you wish. I don't really care as long as they come to the right conclusion lol.  ;)

Now that we agree on  :D

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2018, 12:14:47 AM »
EFL Quest highlights are saying we only had 28% possession???

I though we had much more than that
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

Andio

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #243 on: November 11, 2018, 12:19:58 AM »

I must admit when I saw that stat straight after the game I was very surprised. Felt we had a lot more of the ball than that certainly, but it's what you do with that possession and tonight we certainly where, 20 shots I believe we had.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #244 on: November 11, 2018, 12:20:40 AM »

We sucked Leeds in after we got the opener so I'd expect that accounts for the stats in most parts.

Possession is the one stat that means absolutely zilch in any case.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #245 on: November 11, 2018, 01:00:28 AM »
Been repeating the word 'amazing' for the last few hours.Really buzzing driving home.I can't remember last time I've seen Albion demolish a good side, as thoroughly as that. And completly deserved.

The big difference was the speed we got forward instead of the endless sideways and backwards passes. Probably surprised the Leeds manager as well. I thought Leeds just couldn't cope with Phillips and Barnes driving forward from midfield. Barnes has a helluva lot of pace. Both thoroughly deserved to get on scoresheet. As did HRK who ran his socks off. He's probably the best at playing traditional target man role at the club, if that's the way we are going to play. First time I've ever not wanted him to be subbed. As others have said, the back 4 looked a lot more comfortable playing in this formation. Wasn't bothered about conceding at the end, as the game was easily won by then.

I was surprised about the 28% possession statistic as well, but there's no way that was Pulis style football. Because when we attacked, we attacked as a complete team.   
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:40:21 AM by alex1 »
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #246 on: November 11, 2018, 01:08:24 AM »
Agree with everything except Rodriguez, still thought he was the sexiest link and the one who should make way for Gayle.
Harsh to criticise I know but it we can build on this we are back in contention

Not sure about sexiest definately the weak link. HRK deserves to keep his spot in the starting line up.

We looked far better balanced today with the new shape. I wouldn't have had Matt Phillips in a 3 man midfield in a month of sundays but he was the pick of the lot (doing everything Livermore in team to do- tackle and drive with the ball)

Easily our best performance of the season. Just need to start getting these clean sheets and fix our away form as we have plenty of tough home games over the next run.

Special mention to HRK today who had one of his best games for Albion.
O Albion we love you

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

Re: Score prediction
« Reply #247 on: November 11, 2018, 01:19:43 AM »
Nearly 😄
I was about to congratulate you just as we conceded.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

paulosull

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #248 on: November 11, 2018, 01:37:40 AM »
Bloody brilliant performance and result everyone played to their potential and blew away a quality side with attacking threats all over park. Darren take a bow for being brave enough to change your shape and tactics.

Nice1Cyrille

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #249 on: November 11, 2018, 02:08:11 AM »
What a difference a week makes.
Albion played a great game, pushed up and didn't tippy tap the ball out from the back. It was long kicks upfield and the front line running onto them. The midfield stood strong and Albion looked dangerous every time they attacked.
Playing four at the back stopped Leeds and overall the team produced possibly the best all round performance of the season.
Lets hope we stick to this gameplan. Great performance!