Author Topic: Boxing Thread  (Read 268972 times)

nick_wba

• Junior Baggie

Re: Boxing Thread
« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2015, 12:09:16 PM »
Saturday exposed the Joshua hype for what it is... hype.  Don’t get me wrong Joshua is a fantastic prospect but all this talk of him being able to beat anyone in the division right now is absolute garbage, Joshua isn’t ready for Fury, Klitchsklo, Povetkin or even Wilder at the moment.   His defence needs alot of work, his head movement needs to improve and footwork isn’t perfect either.  On the plus side although his chin isn’t made of kryptonite he did show superb powers of recovery after the second round.

This was Joshua’s 15th fight and probably the only one he has learnt anything from, I hope Hearn puts him in with some more game fighters like Whyte and not knock down jobs but with the hype train that surrounds Joshua Hearn knows he can stick him in with pretty much anyone and the casuals will still lap it up.  I suspect a shot Derek Chisora in April will be next and the Sky hype machine will ensure that it is presented as if it is a meaningful fight for AJ.

He has no experience fighting at that level, I agree the top boys are faaar better than he is currently. They are a whole different level. But, they all had to walk the path that AJ is currently walking, and AJ is doing it as well any of the top dogs did.

People are pretending that AJ didn't dominate the fight, fair play to Whyte though he's got a hell of a chin on him.

Joshua gassed himself trying to end it in 1 round for the bragging rights. I think if the first round was more competitive, he would have been pacing himself better. When you think you've won, and your opponent is wobbling, it's easy to stop throwing jabs, to stop boxing, to stop moving, and just throw power shots. That's essentially what Joshua was doing from about 1 minute into the first round. That's why he gassed in the 2nd. From round 3 on, he was always in control. He boxed, he learned a lot about himself.

wbasoprano

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
Anyone on here off to Manchester tomorrow for Tommy Langford's fight? I am, can't wait  :)
Allllllll aboard

WBAinDEVON

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2016, 09:15:09 AM »
Anyone doing the Tommy Langford fight on Feb 13 Liverpool echo arena, ideal really same day as the Everton game. see you at both :)
Born and Bred in Oak Road West Bromwich B71   Est in the swinging sixties

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2016, 10:08:45 AM »
Ive watched Langfords last 3 fights.

I think he will struggle at domestic level, he hasnt got the power. The belt he has got doesnt really mean anything, the WBO give those belts out for fun.

It takes balls to get in the ring so fair play to the kid.
West Bromwich Born, Greets Green Bred

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:02 PM »
With regards to Joshua, there was always going to be hype on the back of his Gold medal in 2012. He can't be blamed for that nor the way he came out and showed destructive punching either irrespective of who against, anything could've happened fighting competitively without a headguard for the first time. Against Bakhtov he walked through a couple of crisp shots, proving he had a capable chin. He'll blast Chisora, the size disadvantage will be overwhelming let alone anything else.

Far more excited to watch Brook v Khan or Selby v Warrington than any of the nonsense in the heaviest division personally. The British ranks are brimming with fighters who are at World Level and I still think Fury's stint will be shortlived and far more recognition should go to fighters elsewhere.

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
With regards to Joshua, there was always going to be hype on the back of his Gold medal in 2012. He can't be blamed for that nor the way he came out and showed destructive punching either irrespective of who against, anything could've happened fighting competitively without a headguard for the first time. Against Bakhtov he walked through a couple of crisp shots, proving he had a capable chin. He'll blast Chisora, the size disadvantage will be overwhelming let alone anything else.

Far more excited to watch Brook v Khan or Selby v Warrington than any of the nonsense in the heaviest division personally. The British ranks are brimming with fighters who are at World Level and I still think Fury's stint will be shortlived and far more recognition should go to fighters elsewhere.

Still think AJ has a lot more to learn before he goes a World Title. As you say would love to see Selby against Warrington. Selby great ability.

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2016, 08:20:36 PM »
The only thing is that where he is now, and World Level is hardly brimming with opposition. That's probably the most frustrating thing and will inevitably see him thrown into a sink or swim situation. He beats Chisora and say Price and people will still say, well he fought two people whose careers went way wards.

Tony Thompson are the likes who he could fight and learn from, but it's potentially just as dangerous as say Joe Parker. For reasons at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Quigg v Frampton is going to be sensational, Callum Smith will be hoping to have a big year and could fight for a World title before the end of it.

Personally I love Kal Yafai and hope he can come to world prominence by the end of the year. Which will be interesting and Selby's brother beat him as an amateur and despite only recently turning pro could chase him. Long term I think that will be a big British bout next year. Heard it here first lol

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2016, 01:12:49 PM »
Tommy Langford not boxing on 13th feb been moved to 12th march.

Pelsall_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2016, 10:10:36 AM »
Big Super-Bantam Title fight this Saturday.

Would love to see Quigg win but, I don't see Frampton losing.

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2016, 10:27:27 AM »
Big Super-Bantam Title fight this Saturday.

Would love to see Quigg win but, I don't see Frampton losing.

Im going.

And ive got tickets to AJs fight in april.

Quigg will win, left hook to the body!!

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »
Frampton all day long, not even a 50/50, levels above the simpleton Quigg.
"This crack is really moreish."

kris_boing

• WBA Manager

« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2016, 04:54:11 PM »
It's a tough one to call this one. I'm a big fan of both and it's a fight I've been looking forward to since it was announced.

I don't see Frampton knocking Quigg out so will favour Frampton on points but I'm edging towards Quigg by knockout in 7th or 8th.

Pelsall_Baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2016, 09:54:08 PM »
Frampton all day long, not even a 50/50, levels above the simpleton Quigg.

It'll be interesting to see if you have the same view after the fight.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2016, 10:01:55 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if you have the same view after the fight.
I'm confident and have put my money where my mouth is.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2016, 10:03:45 PM »
It's a tough one to call this one. I'm a big fan of both and it's a fight I've been looking forward to since it was announced.

I don't see Frampton knocking Quigg out so will favour Frampton on points but I'm edging towards Quigg by knockout in 7th or 8th.
Why not? Quigg has been put down by a jab before

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2016, 07:06:28 AM »
Frampton's a monster and as good as Quigg is so much has been made of his lifestyle and regime... clearly underestimating what Shane McGuigan puts his fighters through. Also how Quigg stopped Martinez and Frampton didn't... it was Frampton's first World title shot in just his 19th fight, Quigg done it in fight 30 odd. The fact Quigg also lost to Salinas but saw it 'Drawn' is hardly inspiring considering just how good and hungry Frampton is.

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2016, 03:01:56 PM »
Why not? Quigg has been put down by a jab before

Frampton got put down twice in his last fight to a nobody.

Quigg will be too quick for him

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #167 on: February 26, 2016, 03:05:22 PM »
Frampton's a monster and as good as Quigg is so much has been made of his lifestyle and regime... clearly underestimating what Shane McGuigan puts his fighters through. Also how Quigg stopped Martinez and Frampton didn't... it was Frampton's first World title shot in just his 19th fight, Quigg done it in fight 30 odd. The fact Quigg also lost to Salinas but saw it 'Drawn' is hardly inspiring considering just how good and hungry Frampton is.

Quigg is trained by the ring magazine trainer of the year, no stone unturned. Its not often gallagher gets it wrong.

My prediction Quigg KO round 2 left hook to the body

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Quigg is trained by the ring magazine trainer of the year, no stone unturned. Its not often gallagher gets it wrong.

My prediction Quigg KO round 2 left hook to the body

McGuigan will never win such an accolade because of the lack of notable fighters under him, wasn't long ago that it was just Frampton. One thing he does have is the record or being the world's youngest lead trainer ever to have coached someone to a significant world title (25).

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #169 on: February 26, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
McGuigan will never win such an accolade because of the lack of notable fighters under him, wasn't long ago that it was just Frampton. One thing he does have is the record or being the world's youngest lead trainer ever to have coached someone to a significant world title (25).
On the lack of noteable fighters Groves, Haye and Frampton aren't a bad trio and his stock continues to rise, rumour has it a top welter weight is about to join him as well.

As for Gallagher he has 3 world champs; however Quigg is a paper champ, Liam Smith fought for a vacant title against a very limited boxer who had never been in a 12 rounder, only Crolla I'd give him props for.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:59:23 PM by Signor_Maresca »

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #170 on: February 26, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
I agree, Sky have billed him as this fighter that no one matches in terms of hard work dedication, but lets get real 90% of boxers are ridiculously dedicated, Frampton spends weeks/months away from his family to train.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:59:56 PM by Signor_Maresca »

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #171 on: February 26, 2016, 06:01:05 PM »
Lack of noteable fighters..  Groves, Haye and Frampton are not a bad trio and rumour has it a top welter weight is about to join him as well.

As for Gallagher he has 3 world champs, however Quigg is a paper champ, Liam Smith fought for a vacant title against a very limited boxer who had never been in a 12 rounder, only Crolla I'll give him props for.

3 is hardly overwhelming, 2 of whom have fought just once under him. I was defending McGuigan, unless he trains more top fighters he won't win such awards. Personally think he's a top bloke and there's a reason he's so in demand.

Callum Smith's the best he's got. Love him and think he'll be beating Groves if/when they meet.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:02:46 PM by Scooby Doo »

M666EYS

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2016, 06:04:18 PM »
On the lack of noteable fighters Groves, Haye and Frampton aren't a bad trio and his stock continues to rise, rumour has it a top welter weight is about to join him as well.

As for Gallagher he has 3 world champs; however Quigg is a paper champ, Liam Smith fought for a vacant title against a very limited boxer who had never been in a 12 rounder, only Crolla I'd give him props for.

Quigg blasted martinez out in 2, it took frampton 9 rounds.

Groves and haye are hardly setting the world alight are they?

Gallaghers gym is thriving at the minute.

All 4 smith brothers british champions
3 world champions
All of his fighters have fought for world titles in the past 12 months.

It will be a cracker, cant wait to get up there  :D

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2016, 06:07:44 PM »
Jealous you going, just watched the weigh in, atmosphere was nuts.

On another note I think all Smith brothers are pretty limited if we are talking world level, bar Callum who is a huge prospect.

Enjoy Manchester!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2016, 06:40:48 AM »
Quigg blasted martinez out in 2, it took frampton 9 rounds.

Frampton has never been involved in a contentious decision where most thought the opponent won. Quigg has, not so long ago, Yoandris Salinas?