Author Topic: 14 May 2019 Albion 1 Aston Villa 0 (Play Off 2nd Leg)  (Read 111362 times)

brummyroader

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #675 on: May 16, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »
If only they played to 80% of that intensity in the 46 league games we would’ve been top 2 easy, regarding the play offs the ridiculous defensive strategy which saw us 5/6 times not actively trying to counter attack in 3 on 3 or 3 on 2 situations has done us. Sounds harsh but one top drawer performance does not cut it.

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #676 on: May 16, 2019, 01:09:47 PM »
Ok, we're all entitled to our opinion, however, turn it around. We're trailing and their striker "doesn't rush" to retrieve the ball. Do you, in a high stake derby match just sit and wait or do you shout for him to hurry up?

Yes, refs should be impartial, but how often do they lean towards the home team? They're not called 'homers' for nothing. It happens. Is it right, not at all. But the players, who are experienced professionals need to take some responsibility. Liverpool blame the ref (and everything else) when things go against them. I don't want to be like them.

And It's not a problem we had in just this one game is it? HRK with a rush of blood and saw red. Then Brunt goes diving in twice and sees red. He also could have been sent off for the "stamp", some refs would have sent him off. The players gave the ref the choice to make.

Gayles first yellow proved to be costly. Yes, it's debatable, perhaps very unfair. But how many other single events have proved costly this season? Here's a few:

- Johnstone/Barry passing vs Middlesbrough which led to a goal

- Brunt miskicking vs Middlesbrough which led to a goal

- Losing the ball from kick off against Leeds which led to a goal

- Gibbs going to ground against Grealish which led to a goal

My point is these are some of the errors that were in our control, and giving control to the ref after a warning is an error on Gayles part.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #677 on: May 16, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
it's a yellow card offence in football to "excessively delay restarting play", there is no designated time given though so it is up to the ref to decide what is "excessive", is 26 seconds to take a throw in excessive when 30 seconds is allowed for subs and goal celebrations?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 01:58:24 PM by Hull Baggie »
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #678 on: May 16, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »
it's a yellow card offence in football to "excessively delay restarting play", the is no designated time given though so it is up to the ref to decide what is "excessive", is 26 seconds to take a throw in excessive when 30 seconds is allowed for subs and goal celebrations?

Consistently walking towards the ball is not excessively delaying the re-start. I don't care how anybody words it the booking was wrong and the referee was wrong.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #679 on: May 16, 2019, 01:38:10 PM »

Consistently walking towards the ball is not excessively delaying the re-start. I don't care how anybody words it the booking was wrong and the referee was wrong.

I think a lot are forgetting he added 12 minutes of added time in total and 7 in the second half aline when Dawson injury was in first half.

So he added extra, extra time and penalised us. Why these scum after get centre of attention to increase their profile is beyond me.

No way should DG have been sent off, he had his watch on and evidently he stopped it for 7, that's seven minutes in the second half.

I wish I just could let this defeat go, but I hate the vile cheating scum.

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #680 on: May 16, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »
Apparently it took DG 26 seconds to take that throw in, hardly time wasting.

Rolling around is OK and just getting up when you realise a yellow isn't coming out.

Ref should just add the time on at half time and full time, which he did excessively with 5m in the first and 7m in the second half.

The shocking thing to me was that holgate had an equally effective throw in on the evidence of Tuesday night, so surely he should have been taking them and DG should have been in the box feeding off the flick ons.

Over the two everything that could have gone wrong for us did, including losing the toss for pens.

The scum had everything go in their favour going back to hourihane getting no retrospective action for his punch in the Leeds game.

No injuries to the likes of injury prone mings, nothing at all.
And that, in a nutshell, is why I wanted to avoid them in the play-offs. If there is going to be a controversial incident, we tend to be the club that suffers. If there is something important at stake, we come way with a bloodied nose. If it’s only local pride or unimportant points at stake, things go our way. It’s uncanny.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #681 on: May 16, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
And that, in a nutshell, is why I wanted to avoid them in the play-offs. If there is going to be a controversial incident, we tend to be the club that suffers. If there is something important at stake, we come way with a bloodied nose. If it’s only local pride or unimportant points at stake, things go our way. It’s uncanny.

I said all the way through and people can check my posts, if it's a huge match between us and them they ALWAYS get the breaks. Yeah we got the hand of Rod, one game amongst a 46 game season, big deal in the grand scheme of things but when it REALLY matters, I knew what was going to happen, the same thing that has for decades.

Co-incidence? Paranoia? Who knows but yet again it happened.

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #682 on: May 16, 2019, 02:02:19 PM »

couldn't agree more.
 With a rule stating "excessively delaying restarting play" then surely there should be a time frame given i.e. 10 secs, 30 seconds whatever. Under the current ruling it is up to the ref to decide and that's where the consistency falls down.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #683 on: May 16, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »
couldn't agree more.
 With a rule stating "excessively delaying restarting play" then surely there should be a time frame given i.e. 10 secs, 30 seconds whatever. Under the current ruling it is up to the ref to decide and that's where the consistency falls down.

I have said for ages there should be clock that stops every time there is a break in play, that way we get the full 90 minutes and vitally take the power out of little want to make for name for themselves hitlers like Scott.

When I suggested this on another forum some said I would "never get home", well leave when you want if missing the traffic is your only goal, better that than an essential player being the victim of a complete so and so.

That and var.

They never made it as pro players and this is their last chance of being a non entity sad scumbag.

You how much we matter when they allowed a vile scumbag cheat us against Chelsea in andre marriner.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 04:02:25 PM by BalisPen »

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #684 on: May 16, 2019, 10:11:00 PM »
It's taken me all this time to put something on here. I watched it in a pub here (Lytham St. Anne's) with my best mate a Leeds supporter.

I felt so proud of them all tonight in spite of everything and including Brunt who pretty much ended up cornered into that decision, and no derision towards Hegazi who was otherwise top notch.

The crowd were awesome you could even feel it on the TV. I don't make many matches at all as I'm in a band here, so often working, but on that note one guy who follows our band is a Wolves supporter. We call each other every name under the sun - but at the end of the night he ALWAYS tells me the Hawthorns is the best place to go, even better than - his words - the custard bowl.

I think the point I am making here is that the team gave their all on Tuesday but most significantly of all is that The Hawthorns was back to how it should be.

Come on you Baggies. And F off Dowling, Jenkins et al.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:12:38 PM by ex coseley kid »
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #685 on: May 17, 2019, 12:30:09 AM »
It's taken me all this time to put something on here. I watched it in a pub here (Lytham St. Anne's) with my best mate a Leeds supporter.

I felt so proud of them all tonight in spite of everything and including Brunt who pretty much ended up cornered into that decision, and no derision towards Hegazi who was otherwise top notch.

The crowd were awesome you could even feel it on the TV. I don't make many matches at all as I'm in a band here, so often working, but on that note one guy who follows our band is a Wolves supporter. We call each other every name under the sun - but at the end of the night he ALWAYS tells me the Hawthorns is the best place to go, even better than - his words - the custard bowl.

I think the point I am making here is that the team gave their all on Tuesday but most significantly of all is that The Hawthorns was back to how it should be.

Come on you Baggies. And F off Dowling, Jenkins et al.
I hate to burst your bubble, but I can assure you that the atmosphere will return to normal. Important one off games come along only occasionally to most clubs, and they remain memorable usually because of the atmosphere generated. Just think back to ours. Swansea, Palace and Pompey are always mentioned, as they should be... but they are special because they are rare. I saw a short clip of the Brummie from Tuesday. It was how I wish it always was. Sadly, that’s not how it will be till the next do-or-die game. I hope to see it again soon, though.
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

HamsteadHarry

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #686 on: May 17, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »
I agree with Costa Blanc Baggie, it'll be back to normal next season. Most team's supporters are similar, able to really ramp it up for the special occasion  (one reason they are memorable) but lower key the rest of the time. Personally I enjoy a good moan- I've been going long enough and willbe there after the latest 'heroes' have gone. I don't believe the conspiracy theories - we did well over two games with tactics which stifled , through indicipline we ended up playing for penalties, we actually did win the toss for who took them first but, failed to deliver in what was our best opportunity.  Anyway I've a free flag to wave now  at least ::)

OldburyWBA

• Administrator
  • WBA Chairman

« Reply #687 on: May 18, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »
Anyone wishing to discuss Charlton v Doncaster please use the LEAGUE ONE topic in General Sports forum, got nothing to do with us at all.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #688 on: May 18, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »
I hate to burst your bubble, but I can assure you that the atmosphere will return to normal. Important one off games come along only occasionally to most clubs, and they remain memorable usually because of the atmosphere generated. Just think back to ours. Swansea, Palace and Pompey are always mentioned, as they should be... but they are special because they are rare. I saw a short clip of the Brummie from Tuesday. It was how I wish it always was. Sadly, that’s not how it will be till the next do-or-die game. I hope to see it again soon, though.
This is what is wrong with the Premier League, when you are just playing for survival the only chance of the "occasion" generating the atmosphere is a great escape scenario, which are SO few and far between.
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

ex coseley kid

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #689 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »
What is REALLY most likely to burst my bubble is what happens on the next manager scenario...
Head honcho of the Electric Boogie Club, purveyors of (mostly) 70's groove music

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

« Reply #690 on: May 22, 2019, 05:28:17 PM »
Been over a week now since our season and, possibly, our immediate 'positive' future went up in flames yet still gutted we let them get through.
Add in another club I cannot stand (even without the FFP cheating) in Derby and I certainly won't be anywhere near a tv set next Monday when those two meet !
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

AlbionBest

• WBA Coach

Re: Team
« Reply #691 on: May 22, 2019, 05:29:36 PM »
Johnstone, Holgate, Hegazi, Dawson, Bartley, Gibbs, Johansen, Brunt, Phillips, Murphy, Rodriguez. Bench: Bond, Townsend, Adarabiyio, Morrison, Harper, Montero, Leko.

COYB

I wonder how many of that lot we'll see in an Albion shirt again ?  :o
BRING BACK THE MIGHTY CRADLEY HEATHENS !

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Team
« Reply #692 on: May 22, 2019, 05:52:10 PM »
I wonder how many of that lot we'll see in an Albion shirt again ?  :o

Johnstone, Bartley, Brunt, Bond, Townsend, Leko. There you go!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #693 on: May 22, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
Been over a week now since our season and, possibly, our immediate 'positive' future went up in flames yet still gutted we let them get through.
Add in another club I cannot stand (even without the FFP cheating) in Derby and I certainly won't be anywhere near a tv set next Monday when those two meet !

Yes, it hurts and it  is a pain that will take time to subside, probably the first home game of the season. Chin up!  :D
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #694 on: May 23, 2019, 06:43:14 AM »
Yes, it hurts and it  is a pain that will take time to subside, probably the first home game of the season. Chin up!  :D

might be a tad easier on Monday if little aston are seen snivelling on the pitch at 5.00pm
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #695 on: May 23, 2019, 09:50:00 AM »
How i look forward to seeing Frank holding out his hand and pulling a snivelling Jack Grealish to his feet, and letting go half way through and a prostrate Jack looks up to see Lamps giving him the loser sign !
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

kc56wba

• WBA Coach

« Reply #696 on: May 23, 2019, 09:56:26 AM »
I am still arguing with vile fans about the two play off games and pray that they get hammered on Monday.
IT'S MORE THAN A CLUB, IT'S OUR CULTURE

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #697 on: May 23, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »
Think it's time posters started posting in the Anything Championship thread in General Football, we have got a long way from After Match Debate.

Fritzl Palace

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #698 on: May 23, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »
Would very much like to see this entire section of the forum archived as quickly as possible so that I do not have the constant reminder of that evening  :-X