Author Topic: Football Rule Changes  (Read 9585 times)

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

Football Rule Changes
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:17:03 AM »
I thought it might be useful if we had a thread dedicated to advising forum members as and when there were changes in rules to the game.

Hand Ball

A new wording on the handball rule is set to be brought in by football's lawmakers and it "will significantly reduce the grey areas" around the offence. (Times - subscription required)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

Re: Football Rule Changes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:26:29 AM »
Good idea for a thread, but do you have any more information regarding the rule change? Seems a little pointless to just say "handball will be changed" without saying how
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

He/him

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
Good idea for a thread, but do you have any more information regarding the rule change? Seems a little pointless to just say "handball will be changed" without saying how

The FA haven’t published it as yet, but it should do next week, as soon as they do, I’ll post it, unless someone beats me to it  :)
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »
The FA haven’t published it as yet, but it should do next week, as soon as they do, I’ll post it, unless someone beats me to it  :)

I mean, this link has what they will probably be discussing:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/01/exclusive-footballs-lawmakers-discuss-overhaul-handball-rules/

He/him

17GD

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 11:41:08 AM »
For me, they've made this too complicated. It's not complicated at all.

If the ref thinks a player has intentionally placed his hand in the way of a moving ball, and the ball strikes anywhere from the bicep down to the fingers, it's a foul.

The ref has one chance to see it, at pace. He has help from the assistant, but he makes a decision based on that.

Why they feel the need to expand the rule or make changes is beyond me.

One thing the FA should clamp down on is player power. They brought the rule in about players who wave an imaginary yellow card will themselves get a yellow card. That worked and very rarely happens now. They should stop players from raising their arms to influence offsides, and there should be zero tolerance of players arguing with officials. Arguing has nothing to do with the "passion of the game". Look at rugby. Players are pumped up, but how often do they argue with a ref over a decision? Almost never. Football is prima Donna sportsmen who think their opinions matter.

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »
I know this thread is about rule changes, but does anyone else think that the FA is at last beginning to enforce existing laws on and off the field?

To me there does appear to be a more hardline approach towards players and managers, but it might just be my perception.

Not sure where player / manager fines go, but if it is into the FA Coffers, it is a lucrative  revenue stream and since the sale of Wembley has fallen through they, the FA, are sure to be exploring every fiscal opportunity to increase income
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 12:04:49 PM »
New rule change which is set to force goalkeepers to play OUTFIELD next season

Sin bins for lower leagues to be introduced to replace yellow Cards for dissent. They are probably trying it out before deciding whether to introduce into higher leagues

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/new-rule-change-set-force-16188217
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

don1thedon

• Site Donator
  • Youth Baggie

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 12:08:40 PM »
Just read about it, that's just hilarious.

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 12:10:46 PM »
It's stupid. Who dreams up these things?

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »

If the ref thinks a player has intentionally placed his hand in the way of a moving ball, and the ball strikes anywhere from the bicep down to the fingers, it's a foul.

The ref has one chance to see it, at pace. He has help from the assistant, but he makes a decision based on that.

One thing the FA should clamp down on is player power. They brought the rule in about players who wave an imaginary yellow card will themselves get a yellow card. That worked and very rarely happens now. They should stop players from raising their arms to influence offsides, and there should be zero tolerance of players arguing with officials. Arguing has nothing to do with the "passion of the game". Look at rugby. Players are pumped up, but how often do they argue with a ref over a decision? Almost never. Football is prima Donna sportsmen who think their opinions matter.

I thought a law was introduced a few years ago whereby the ref cam move a free kick forward 10 yards if there is dissent or other shenanigans, did I imagine that ?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2019, 01:12:46 PM »
I thought a law was introduced a few years ago whereby the ref cam move a free kick forward 10 yards if there is dissent or other shenanigans, did I imagine that ?

Your right, it was introduced in about 2000 and scrapped by FIFA in 2005, I think!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »
I like the sound of sin bins. Actually makes a difference to the game there and then. I'd also have them for deliberately stopping a counter attack where a player takes a cynical yellow "for the team"

He/him

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
Your right, it was introduced in about 2000 and scrapped by FIFA in 2005, I think!

thanks for that feedback, I was hoping it wasn't my mind playing tricks. It seems a perfectly legitimate tool to me, I wonder why it wasn't utilised more.
Albion Family !!!

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »
thanks for that feedback, I was hoping it wasn't my mind playing tricks. It seems a perfectly legitimate tool to me, I wonder why it wasn't utilised more.
The main problem was that the wall at free kicks was often refusing to go back 10 yards. The solution was to teach the ref to count to ten and give him a can of shaving foam. Job done! :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 03:24:05 PM »
There should be a change that, at corners the whole of the ball should be in the quadrant not just a shadow of it.
As my missus says what difference does an inch or 2 make ?
Albion Family !!!

ronnie_allen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 03:45:46 PM »
The main problem was that the wall at free kicks was often refusing to go back 10 yards. The solution was to teach the ref to count to ten and give him a can of shaving foam. Job done! :D

Not always work. I think it may have been Craig Gardner got booked for us once, possibly against Everton. We had the free-kick centrally right on the edge of the box. Referee marches team back and lets them stand in front of the penalty spot. Obviously given pitch dimensions wasn't any more than seven metres away. Gardner with the pitch dimensions helping him tried to explain to the ref' and got book for his troubled.   

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
There should be a change that, at corners the whole of the ball should be in the quadrant not just a shadow of it.
As my missus says what difference does an inch or 2 make ?

That's too good an opportunity to miss. However, as I still retain a semblance of decorum, I'll pass and leave it to others not so well endowed, with decorum of course  :D  ;D

赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

costa blanca baggie

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
Not always work. I think it may have been Craig Gardner got booked for us once, possibly against Everton. We had the free-kick centrally right on the edge of the box. Referee marches team back and lets them stand in front of the penalty spot. Obviously given pitch dimensions wasn't any more than seven metres away. Gardner with the pitch dimensions helping him tried to explain to the ref' and got book for his troubled.
Obviously a ref that couldn’t count up to ten.  :D
Humanity is a parade of fools, and I’m at the front of it...twirling the baton.

MarkW

• Administrator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 04:05:39 PM »

It was after Gardner counted out 10 paces and was way past the wall that he got booked. Think it may have been his debut - could be wrong though

He/him

The Tank

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 12:41:02 AM »
For some reason the shaving foam line seems to indicate the whole of the ball has to be placed behind the line of foam.   Yet at corners 99% of the ball can be over the "chalk" line.  It just looks so wrong.
 Perhaps the only way to settle this is to have those little corner triangles sprayed out in foam each time a corner kick is awarded and then the ball must be completely behind that line.

kie the baggie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 04:13:31 AM »
I like the sound of sin bins. Actually makes a difference to the game there and then. I'd also have them for deliberately stopping a counter attack where a player takes a cynical yellow "for the team"
we would have no team left on the pitch! with our legs in midfield we must do 3 or 4 of these each game

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 07:57:06 AM »
we would have no team left on the pitch! with our legs in midfield we must do 3 or 4 of these each game

Chris Brunt being the main perpetrator unfortunately !
Albion Family !!!

Scooby Doo

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 09:05:06 AM »

Totally disagree with the arms in the air when claiming for an offside. The chances are the players who watched the generation of George Graham's defenders doing it subconsciously are post 30 so perhaps it could be easier to get rid of. However it's a natural reaction in my opinion, it's part of the game.

What I don't agree with is using it in the manner that Barthez infamously (but cheekily) against Di Canio many moons ago.

They don't in rugby because they know they'll be met with a 10 yard penalty and potentially lose another 10 on top of that. 10 yards is a significant amount of gain in rugby and unfortunately it can't be replicated in football.

BRIAN

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »
There are LAWS not RULES about playing football. As an ex referee I don't see many 10 yards accurately measured by refs. A PACE is determined by the refs height and varies from about a yard-36 inches to anything. I have seen anything from a yard to about 2 ft 6 inches. As far as the corner quadrant goes I believe FIFA says the measurement can be upto a metre even in the UK.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
There are LAWS not RULES about playing football. As an ex referee I don't see many 10 yards accurately measured by refs. A PACE is determined by the refs height and varies from about a yard-36 inches to anything. I have seen anything from a yard to about 2 ft 6 inches. As far as the corner quadrant goes I believe FIFA says the measurement can be upto a metre even in the UK.

Brian, as an ex-ref, I would like your input on this please,
What is to stop a ref going into each dressing room pre-match and telling both teams that he will be applying the laws of the game rigorously particularly around swearing, diving, intimidation of officials, time-wasting and then going out onto the pitch and doing so with rigour.
Albion Family !!!