Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 418322 times)

Baggies

• WBA Manager

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #2300 on: September 06, 2021, 02:24:46 PM »
6 wickets gone for 44 runs. Soft batting line up with no real contenders coming through. Feels like there are only a couple of sides in world cricket who can play tests at a decent level now. India are one of them.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2301 on: September 06, 2021, 02:28:43 PM »
43 ducks for English players this year, 18 different players. Shows A, the amount of different players who have had a go and B, the amount of different players who haven't impressed.
Boing Boing

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2302 on: September 06, 2021, 02:36:45 PM »
4 for 6 in 41 balls since lunch, typical England collapse

Its the hope that kills you!

Ah the good old collapse. Nobody does it better than England unfortunately.

BlackCountryPride68

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #2303 on: September 06, 2021, 02:43:12 PM »
Same old tale of woe. That said, you have to give Bumrah credit for what was a superb spell.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2304 on: September 06, 2021, 02:48:47 PM »
Same old tale of woe. That said, you have to give Bumrah credit for what was a superb spell.
100% it was a brilliant spell, but you almost expect the England collapse and it rarely fails to materialise unfortunately. All on Root now (again, how many times as that been said!?)
12/02/12 - wo1ve5 #weshouldhavehadten

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #2305 on: September 06, 2021, 03:24:16 PM »
Probably won’t even make it to tea now. What a huge disappointment
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2306 on: September 06, 2021, 04:36:28 PM »
In this day and age for 4 or 5 of your frontline batsman to get out bowled on a wicket as benign as this is a breakdown in basic technique  which in this group of players is second only to mental weakness as a cause of repeated failings . In truth with one or two notable exceptions this at test level is a poor team
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2307 on: September 06, 2021, 04:56:07 PM »
Woeful. Nothing else to say. 141 for 2, 147 for 6.
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

Bilston Dan

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #2308 on: September 06, 2021, 05:19:47 PM »
In this day and age for 4 or 5 of your frontline batsman to get out bowled on a wicket as benign as this is a breakdown in basic technique  which in this group of players is second only to mental weakness as a cause of repeated failings . In truth with one or two notable exceptions this at test level is a poor team

I think it shows how little emphasis is put on the longer form of the game in England. The 4 day county game is such a poor standard that it produces players who aren't good enough to play test cricket. Shorter format is much more forgiving on technique and skill but longer game really exposes ones weaknesses.

My girlfriend  (she is Indian) said straight away yesterday when India where 400 and odd for 8 that India would win. Stupidly I said we'd draw...should have known better with our batting!

We really have gone backwards in regards to batting. Apart from Root I have very little confidence in the rest of them.
"I don't get hangovers, I just feel sick and have a headache"

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2309 on: September 06, 2021, 05:50:53 PM »
I couldn’t even call it a low point as we’ve been here before. 

That was a staggeringly bad two hours of cricket following lunch, in a test match where we should have came out with a draw at the minimum.

Follow WestBrom.com on twitter - https://twitter.com/WestBromcom

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2310 on: September 06, 2021, 05:52:11 PM »
I think it shows how little emphasis is put on the longer form of the game in England. The 4 day county game is such a poor standard that it produces players who aren't good enough to play test cricket. Shorter format is much more forgiving on technique and skill but longer game really exposes ones weaknesses.

My girlfriend  (she is Indian) said straight away yesterday when India where 400 and odd for 8 that India would win. Stupidly I said we'd draw...should have known better with our batting!

We really have gone backwards in regards to batting. Apart from Root I have very little confidence in the rest of them.
I think a big issue is that the likes of Buttler and Bairstow (and others) actually modify their technique to maximise their hitting power in the shorter format. It's then difficult to produce the technique you need to survive in test cricket when they are playing so much short form cricket.
The 4 day pitches need to improve also. Even at this time of year after a pretty dry few weeks there are some low scores around at the moment and it's the pace bowlers that are doing the damage. I'm not aware of any spinners doing serious damage at the moment.

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2311 on: September 06, 2021, 09:15:43 PM »
I feel the end is nigh for both Root and Silverwood. They got outclassed by Kohli today. Like him or not he is a great captain. Something that Root isn't.

Why do we keep going back to Ali and Bairstow. Why does Buttler get such a long run in the team when he scores such few runs?

Root works our bowlers into the ground. Look at Archer. How many extra overs did Anderson and Robinson bowl Yesterday.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2312 on: September 06, 2021, 10:43:42 PM »
Root and Silverwood are going nowhere - they’ve just rebuilt the ECB around them both. They’re not going to rip it up now.

I’m not sure Silverwood is the issue either - we have an average to poor batting line up who are mentally fragile after a few years of batting collapses and defeats. The next man has exactly the same issues because the current crop - and those beneath them - are not good enough.

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2313 on: September 10, 2021, 10:00:45 AM »
5th test match cancelled as India claim to be unable to field a team due to Covid scares.

Following last nights testing there was not a positive case amongst any of the playing staff.

I am surprised that this is such an issue now they're 2-1 up, as when Shastri and others tested positive for Covid last week, they were more than happy to continue in search of their win.

Of course, the IPL returns next week which I am sure has played no part in their decision.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2314 on: September 10, 2021, 10:32:24 AM »
5th test match cancelled as India claim to be unable to field a team due to Covid scares.

Following last nights testing there was not a positive case amongst any of the playing staff.

I am surprised that this is such an issue now they're 2-1 up, as when Shastri and others tested positive for Covid last week, they were more than happy to continue in search of their win.

Of course, the IPL returns next week which I am sure has played no part in their decision.

They should all be made to isolate for 10 days before we let them near an airport.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2315 on: September 10, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »
Just goes to show, they want the money (IPL) more than a series win, to me test cricket has been the third priority for a while now behind the quicker formats

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2316 on: September 10, 2021, 12:34:01 PM »
Just goes to show, they want the money (IPL) more than a series win, to me test cricket has been the third priority for a while now behind the quicker formats

They've got the series win now this test has been cancelled.

Kohli now has wins in England and Australia on his record.

Its why they continued to play on during the 4th test match after Ravi Shastri tested positive.

If COVID was such an issue to them, they would not have continued the 4th test.

Now they're infront, Kohli has it on his record & the IPL starts next week.. COVID my backside..

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2317 on: September 10, 2021, 12:37:01 PM »
They've got the series win now this test has been cancelled.

Kohli now has wins in England and Australia on his record.

Its why they continued to play on during the 4th test match after Ravi Shastri tested positive.

If COVID was such an issue to them, they would not have continued the 4th test.

Now they're infront, Kohli has it on his record & the IPL starts next week.. COVID my backside..

The ECB will be seeking a forfeiture and a series draw based on all the noises coming out of this mess.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #2318 on: September 10, 2021, 12:42:59 PM »
The ECB will be seeking a forfeiture and a series draw based on all the noises coming out of this mess.
Already read somewhere this is what’s happened
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2319 on: September 10, 2021, 12:44:38 PM »

That's initially what the ECB included within their official statement until they amended it to a more diplomatic version  :D

India have offered to replay the test next summer when they come for the ODI series.

phbaggies

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2320 on: September 10, 2021, 01:24:23 PM »
But the BCCI is a lot more powerful £ wise so would the ECB risk upsetting them?

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #2321 on: September 22, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »
Lancs appear to have 'done a Glamorgan'  ;) and prepared an absolute minefield at Aigburth. Well on the way to the game ending early on day 3. Hants 24 for 4 lead by 27 runs in 2nd innings. Meanwhile Warks need to bowl Somerset out twice to stay in the running. Lammonby just dismissed for a half century.

Adder

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #2322 on: September 22, 2021, 06:02:39 PM »
Lancs appear to have 'done a Glamorgan'  ;) and prepared an absolute minefield at Aigburth. Well on the way to the game ending early on day 3. Hants 24 for 4 lead by 27 runs in 2nd innings. Meanwhile Warks need to bowl Somerset out twice to stay in the running. Lammonby just dismissed for a half century.
Glamorgan enjoying the Oval wicket after recent debacles  ;)

leeiswba

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #2323 on: September 22, 2021, 06:12:53 PM »
Essex v Northants finished 35 minutes into day 2!! Becoming a bit of a shambles some of these matches.

Warwickshire letting fans in for free next two days if any of you B*ars are interested

LiamTheBaggie

• Administrator
  • WBA Manager

• @westbromcom

« Reply #2324 on: September 22, 2021, 08:17:09 PM »
Looks a draw for me at Edgbaston - this is a great batting deck. We needed all the bonus points to help us and prepared a beauty of a pitch. Hard toil for the bowlers.

Thoroughly enjoyed today at Edgbaston - weather was beautiful. After the **** show of last year it’s so refreshing to see us play good cricket. I’ll be there the next couple of days.

That an hour an half against Hampshire two weeks ago is going to cost us dearly. That game was in the palm of our hands and we squandered it.