Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 418305 times)

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

Re: England Cricket Thread
« Reply #1425 on: August 07, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »
Best thing I've seen this test, that fielding by Abbas  ;D
Proud to be a Baggie. BOING BOING.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1426 on: August 07, 2020, 01:51:19 PM »
Buttler falls. Now looking at a large 1st innings deficit.

DaveWBA

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1427 on: August 07, 2020, 02:16:38 PM »
Will this be 10-12 series we've lost the first test?

I swear I saw that stat trotted out somewhere the other day.

Appalling if true, as bad as the Albion for going behind in games.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1428 on: August 07, 2020, 03:21:56 PM »
We need a lot better wicket keeping this time round and far more luck with snicks as opposed to playing and missing.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1429 on: August 07, 2020, 03:51:33 PM »
There it is again. Shelling easy chances.

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1430 on: August 07, 2020, 05:31:43 PM »
Really need to turn the screw now. Such an important period before the close.

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1431 on: August 07, 2020, 07:11:17 PM »
good fightback, but is 250-270 too much to chase?
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1432 on: August 07, 2020, 07:33:09 PM »
I think that anything over 250 will be a big ask, particularly if Yashir finds the spot on that wicket, albeit only four days of play on it when we bat

I hope I’m wrong and our batsmen all put in performances
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

wbako

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1433 on: August 07, 2020, 08:29:31 PM »
good fightback, but is 250-270 too much to chase?

With our batting line-up, no chance we are chasing anything over 250 down.
All time favourite player: Jan Kozak

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1434 on: August 07, 2020, 11:38:21 PM »
If we can get the last few wickets for no more than 15-20 runs then we have a great chance of rescuing this. Somebody in the top order really needs a big score now, particularly Joe Root who seems to be posting fewer and fewer big scores now. Stokes will be fired up after his duck, especially if he can get one of the final two wickets tomorrow morning.

I still favour Pakistan over all though. I said pre series I think they will come away with a win over all as we are a poor test side now - any team that struggles at home to Ireland and the West Indies aren’t a top class test side.

Can I ask, why is Joffa Archer coming in ahead of Stuart Broad in the batting line up? Archer averages 8 in tests and 3 in ODI’s. Broad averages 19 in tests and was at nearly 30 not out again today, following up on his 62 the test before. First class scores count for little this far down the order - go with the bloke who has consistently been a decent lower order batsmen for England over the bloke who looks not far off a rabbit at the moment.
Boing Boing

TheJacko2000

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1435 on: August 08, 2020, 01:16:03 AM »
Doesn't really matter who bats nine and who bats ten. It's obvious why Archer comes in first, he's got a far better technique, it just hasn't translated into scores yet.

Broad just gets inside the line of the ball and thrashes at it. Until this summer Broad has been the easiest wicket in test cricket since he was smashed in the face 3 or 4 years ago.

That said, if his tweaked method continues to yield results they'll push him back up the order.

Westie

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1436 on: August 08, 2020, 07:08:31 AM »
I don’t know why Archer is in the team at all. He is supposed to be the ultra quickie that will trouble batsmen with his 90mph+ deliveries. In the last match against West Indies there were only a couple of occasions where he topped the 90mph mark and so many of his deliveries were wasted and unthreatening. Mark Wood or Olly Stone should have been given their chance against Pakistan. Archer has been a huge disappointment.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1437 on: August 08, 2020, 08:48:32 AM »
Olly  Stone is injured again ! As for Archers speed , or anybody else’s , for it worthwhile going flat out we need hard fast bouncy wickets not the soggy mattress type we seem to have been playing on. Only now are the West Indies for example starting to produce some young quickies having similar problems
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:42:08 AM by hardtobeat »
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1438 on: August 08, 2020, 09:49:49 AM »
Archer is there in preparation for Australia it seems, everything we do seems geared to beating the Aussies. Personally, i'd rather build confidence by picking our best team rather than an Australian specific team.

Archer might come good over time,  the transition can sometimes be different, but i've always preferred clever bowlers in the 80's rather thsn 94 mph quicks.
Boing Boing

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1439 on: August 08, 2020, 11:23:04 AM »
The last 2 wickets get 33 runs, poor from England. Second time in 2 weeks that a tail has wagged way more than we would like. Knew they would come out firing, should have bowled 20 20 style.
Boing Boing

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1440 on: August 08, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »
58 runs required with 5 wickets in hand.

Buttler   not out      54   
Woakes   not out      57

COYE!!!!   
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

Beware of Speculation! = the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1441 on: August 08, 2020, 05:39:26 PM »
Why is Shane Warne in the commentators box? He is so anti English it's untrue!!

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1442 on: August 08, 2020, 05:55:29 PM »
Why is Shane Warne in the commentators box? He is so anti English it's untrue!!

That's you opinion, which I acknowledge.

But I find "Warnie" to be a good commentator, fair, interesting, knowledgeable, calls it how he sees it (good, bad or indifferent)  and a great sense of humour.

Oh, and he has played at the highest level of the game and wasn't a bad spin bowler to boot and does knows a bit about cricket
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1443 on: August 08, 2020, 06:09:21 PM »
England 256/6. Buttler just out for 75. England need 21 runs to win.

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1444 on: August 08, 2020, 06:21:09 PM »
That's you opinion, which I acknowledge.

But I find "Warnie" to be a good commentator, fair, interesting, knowledgeable, calls it how he sees it (good, bad or indifferent)  and a great sense of humour.

Oh, and he has played at the highest level of the game and wasn't a bad spin bowler to boot and does knows a bit about cricket
The best spin bowler i have ever seen live. But what as that got to do with him being anti English? Oh and i met him a few times and he is an arrogant git aswell. Not like Gentleman Ricky Ponting. 

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1445 on: August 08, 2020, 06:30:02 PM »
The best spin bowler i have ever seen live. But what as that got to do with him being anti English? Oh and i met him a few times and he is an arrogant git aswell. Not like Gentleman Ricky Ponting.

So your judgement doesn’t appear to be based on cricketing related issues, more personal.

Just because he criticises England or any other team, and I’ve heard him criticise Australia, doesn’t mean to say he is anti anybody, just calling it as he sees it.

Oh and I’ve just heard the  Pakistan commentator, say how lucky England are, obviously anti England.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1446 on: August 08, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »
Great result for England, I wasn’t sure they could chase that down, but proved me wrong.

COYE!!!!
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部

gerry m

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1447 on: August 08, 2020, 06:33:53 PM »
Great result for England, I wasn’t sure they could chase that down, but proved me wrong.

COYE!!!!

That was a bit nerve wracking!

albion59

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1448 on: August 08, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »
So your judgement doesn’t appear to be based on cricketing related issues, more personal.

Just because he criticises England or any other team, and I’ve heard him criticise Australia, doesn’t mean to say he is anti anybody, just calling it as he sees it.

Oh and I’ve just heard the  Pakistan commentator, say how lucky England are, obviously anti England.
The Pakistani commentator can say what he likes his country are playing against us! Obviously you like Warne fair play i dont. And i still say he is anti English. Anyway well done England and especially Chris Woakes. 

AlbionFan

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1449 on: August 08, 2020, 06:46:01 PM »
The Pakistani commentator can say what he likes his country are playing against us! Obviously you like Warne fair play i dont. And i still say he is anti English. Anyway well done England and especially Chris Woakes.

It isn’t about liking or disliking an individual, although disliking someone does tend to close the mind to that individual.

Oh, and just heard him (Warne) heap praise on both England and Pakistan for an outstanding test match, and rightly so.

And I don’t understand why you think our opponents commentators can say what they like about us, when you criticise a neutral is criticised for doing just that.
赖国传, 滚出我们的俱乐部