Author Topic: Jay Rodriguez Joins Burnley  (Read 360914 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: Jay Rodriguez
« Reply #1200 on: November 05, 2018, 08:13:09 PM »
Agree with you on Livermore. Even more infuriating when Yacob who he replaced in the team is now at Forest (which coincided with our dip in form and then subsequent relegation). Worryingly too many people at the club rate these players as well.

Yacob is a red herring.  Loved him at times but no....

Sorry, just realised this is JRod thread.  Back to Jrod - whatever he had to offer pre injury it's gone now.   He does work hard but that's I pretty much all he does offer at the moment and even when his grafting got him a chance he missed it.  Not quick enough on the ground, no real tricks, not competitive in the air and NOT an instinctive finisher.  He did start to develop some interplay with Gayle but looks  impotent on his own.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:23:49 PM by Oldbury24 »

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1201 on: November 05, 2018, 08:26:35 PM »
Wonder if Burnley would still pay million for Dawson ?

I'd say your not far off a realistic valuation.....might not be a formation suited to him but he has been poor at times.

Mickyfudge

• WBA Newbie

« Reply #1202 on: November 05, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »
The thing is Gayle is obviously not rated a prem player by managers in the prem but you look at him and look at Rodriguez to me theirs no comparison

jim68

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1203 on: November 05, 2018, 09:51:00 PM »
Yacob has played once for Forest so far this season.
and a pretty impressive debut by all accounts :-X

frazzle

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1204 on: November 10, 2018, 08:18:13 PM »
Jay was outstanding tonight. Absolutely outstanding.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #1205 on: November 10, 2018, 08:36:13 PM »
Thought he was done. I was wrong.  Well done JRod.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1206 on: November 10, 2018, 08:54:19 PM »
Got to give if to him, he actually showed some desire today and deserved to get that goal that hit the crossbar. Dawson was also back to his normal consistent self today playing a game he can play.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1207 on: November 10, 2018, 11:01:18 PM »
Superb

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1208 on: November 10, 2018, 11:29:02 PM »
Better from J Rod, much better. That's what I want to see. Another one with his best performance of the season to add to Dawson, Adarabioyo, Robson-Kanu, Morrison and arguably Phillips. You could argue Johnstone as well.  :-\

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1209 on: November 11, 2018, 05:32:10 PM »
Thought he put in a 5 star performance yesterday. The way he powered his way past Leeds players before setting up HRK's and Gayle's goals. And he was unlucky with that shot off the bar.   
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Baggies

• WBA Manager

« Reply #1210 on: November 12, 2018, 08:32:42 AM »
Came close to edging Phillips and Adarabioyo for man of the match. Never stopped running and looked much happier as part of a more dynamic attack with other options around him. Set up atleast 2 goals through his powerful runs and looked more like the player we saw for a brief spell in the premier league last year.
Boing Boing

geoff

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1211 on: November 12, 2018, 09:01:16 AM »
Came close to edging Phillips and Adarabioyo for man of the match. Never stopped running and looked much happier as part of a more dynamic attack with other options around him. Set up atleast 2 goals through his powerful runs and looked more like the player we saw for a brief spell in the premier league last year.

Phillips
I thought it was his powerful attacking moves that put us on the front foot helping to keep their forwards quite

Hull Baggie

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1212 on: November 12, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
Looked a lot happier playing in a side that attacked with pace and that had a number of players getting into forward positions, rather than him being isolated which has happened a little recently.

His work rate for me has never been in question but against Leeds he didn't have to go deep to get the ball and that was reflected in his performance.
Dexy : LiamTheBaggie : MarkW : OldburyWBA
Adder : Hull Baggie : lewisant : Political Cake : tommcneill

Mister AT

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1213 on: November 12, 2018, 09:12:01 AM »
Looked like his oldself, full of confidence going forward and was a menace all evening.

tommcneill

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #1214 on: November 24, 2018, 03:36:50 AM »
Just wanted to say congratulations to Jay Rodriguez on his 100th goal

Its a nice moment for him  :)

Nice goal to bring up the ton aswell

its not just the winning thats important...its rubbing the losers face in it after that counts

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1215 on: November 24, 2018, 07:16:32 AM »
Just wanted to say congratulations to Jay Rodriguez on his 100th goal

Its a nice moment for him  :)

Nice goal to bring up the ton aswell

Fairplay to him but he should be at least on 101 if not 102 (the other chance in first half wasn't as easy as the chance in the second)

Fortunately his poor finishing didn't cost us the points. I would have subbed him off for Gayle. Away from home Rodriguez doesn't offer as much as Gayle as he doesn't have the pace to threaten and isn't the greatest finisher
O Albion we love you

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1216 on: November 24, 2018, 07:44:10 AM »
Fairplay to him but he should be at least on 101 if not 102 (the other chance in first half wasn't as easy as the chance in the second)

Fortunately his poor finishing didn't cost us the points. I would have subbed him off for Gayle. Away from home Rodriguez doesn't offer as much as Gayle as he doesn't have the pace to threaten and isn't the greatest finisher

JRod plays the central striker role better than Gayle would in a 4-3-3. Gayle will have his part to play soon enough and IMO it's great to have someone like him on the bench, no opposition is going to want to see him coming on.

lewisant

• Global Moderator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #1217 on: November 24, 2018, 09:07:15 AM »
The both of them have 9 goals to their name this season, both are doing decent! In the long run i can see Gayle in for HRK with Rodriguez going wide but at the moment HRK deserves his place in the 11.

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1218 on: November 29, 2018, 01:09:56 AM »
Was missing again tonight. I really hope Burnley come back in for him.

beechyboy90

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1219 on: November 29, 2018, 04:48:27 AM »

Think at home it's not as bad as we have more of the ball but away from home we tend to carry him post games. He doesn't hold the ball as well as HRK and doesn't have gayles pace of finishing prowess. I would have made this change with about 30 mins left to keep it fresh and give us more threat on the break.

What I will say is that I guess it's only fair to keep the same team when they keep winning
O Albion we love you

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1220 on: November 29, 2018, 01:03:08 PM »

I really don't get this comment at all. Not sure why he gets so much stick; has an eye for goal and works hard dropping deep to pick up the ball and try to get us moving forward. Should Burnley come back in there is a high likelihood that we would not get a replacement meaning we are in a far worse position.
It is all about opinions I know, but that is mine.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1221 on: November 29, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »

I saw him quite a few times.

Tall bloke with a bit of a ponytail who ran all over the place closing the opposition down and making a general nuisance of himself. Didnt get any chances on goal [unlike Ipswich when he scored] but neither did the others....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:00:57 PM by skyclad99 »
MAGA!

boinging_along

• WBA Coach

« Reply #1222 on: November 29, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
I'd run around, chase down the opposition and put effort in without an actual end product.  Can I get laid £50k a week please?

You've got to look at the front two and think about why we didn't create much, why wasn't the ball held up.  You can't absolve them of blame in games where they've not done their job.

skyclad99

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #1223 on: November 29, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
I'd run around, chase down the opposition and put effort in without an actual end product.  Can I get laid £50k a week please?

You've got to look at the front two and think about why we didn't create much, why wasn't the ball held up.  You can't absolve them of blame in games where they've not done their job.

Isnt it down to supply? which was missing last night.

If Jay was stood on the penalty spot waiting for the ball he would be slaughtered. Instead he put himself about and tried to create something...... cant argue with that. Phillips and Barnes didnt put much in and there was not a great deal from midfield. I remember a few times Jay received the ball, held it up and then passed it on but nothing came from it. To say he went missing is not correct, Kanu was quiet as well.... it was one of those games where 'pulis' tactics won the day.

MAGA!

BalisPen

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #1224 on: November 29, 2018, 04:24:51 PM »
I just don't think he gives the same commitment and desire as he clearly showed he can against Leeds in every game.

He is one of a few we'll get big money for, and in an ideal world imo we should take about £15m for him if (big if) it's offered because of his age etc.

With the proceeds we should consider getting the much pacier and younger Maupay in and a box to box mf, as I don't think Mozza is the answer there.

Not for one second do I believe that Jenkins will release funds in Jan unless they are generated by player sales.

Our only hope without sales is that LD and IP have some very cheap signings from abroad lined up and/or some more loans.