Author Topic: Serge Gnabry returns to Arsenal  (Read 124024 times)

alex1

• WBA Coach

Re: Serge Gnabry returns to Arsenal
« Reply #375 on: February 25, 2020, 02:05:02 PM »
Interesting article on Serge Gnabry on the BBC website. Confirms that his spell with us was what made him return to Germany. Probably more like being told he wasn't spending enough time in his own penalty box tracking the opposition full backs etc.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51615027
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

tuamigos

• WBA Manager

« Reply #376 on: February 26, 2020, 06:47:33 AM »
Had a blinder last night apparently.
What could have been had Bilic been here at the same time as Gnabry
My old man always said 'You can't educate pork!'

NathWBA

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #377 on: February 26, 2020, 08:10:24 AM »
Had a blinder last night apparently.
What could have been had Bilic been here at the same time as Gnabry
probably the same as under pulis, he was kid who wasn’t good enough for premier league football, he struggled in the cup game against lower league opposition, fair play to him he’s got his head down and worked hard
The Lord's My Sheperd I'll Not Want
He Makes Me Down To Lie,
In Pastures Green,He Leadeth Me,
The Quiet Waters By.

gavinrussell

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #378 on: February 26, 2020, 08:15:34 AM »
Watched an interview with TP talking about Gnaby around 6 months ago.. . To be fair to him he did say everyone makes mistakes..

FallOutBoy

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #379 on: February 26, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
probably the same as under pulis, he was kid who wasn’t good enough for premier league football, he struggled in the cup game against lower league opposition, fair play to him he’s got his head down and worked hard

He didn't really struggle, no more than the rest of the team did. (Seriously how many times did we play lower-league opposition under Pulis and look awful? Like we couldn't attack them or break them down at all).

The problem was he wouldn't follow Pulis' instructions. Instead of sticking to the line and putting in crosses / winning free kicks or corners, he tried to pick up space, play passes, create things, and you know... actually play football. That's why Pulis wouldn't pick him, which in turn led to a crisis of confidence and desire to leave England.

Signor_Maresca

• Site Donator
  • Senior Baggie

« Reply #380 on: February 26, 2020, 09:57:29 AM »
Can’t believe people still use ONE league cup game to back Pulis’s treatment of Gnabry.  Laughable.  Pulis played a complete second string that day; the team had no coherence or understanding whatsoever.  Also the cries of ‘he didn’t impress in training’ has also been totally dispelled by Gareth McAauley who said Gnabry was sensational in training  and our defenders couldn’t get anywhere near him.  Glad he has gone on to have such a brilliant career after we completely wasted his talent for a whole year.
"This crack is really moreish."

Standaman

• WBA Coach

« Reply #381 on: February 26, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »
Pulisball was a black hole into which talented creative footballers disappeared never to be seen again. Whenever he was asked about a player who wasn't playing the answer was always "not up to speed". It was staggering how it was always the creative players that weren't up to speed but a big strong centre half would could not only never be unfit but could do a job almost anywhere on the pitch.

It was a dark time to be a Baggie and I wish Gnabry would stop doing well against English clubs as it reminds me of those wasted years.
Standaman - Born to be a Baggie.

alex1

• WBA Coach

« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2020, 01:21:43 PM »
Pulis was just a hopeless judge of attacking creative players. His idea of a good forward was a big lump up top who could nod in high balls into the box or from set pieces. Or Oliver Burke. I don't know what he saw in him.
Einstein: A definition of insanity- someone who takes the same action time after time, even though previously it's always ended in failure

Albionic

• Site Donator
  • WBA Coach

« Reply #383 on: February 26, 2020, 02:00:50 PM »
Pulis was just a hopeless judge of attacking creative players. His idea of a good forward was a big lump up top who could nod in high balls into the box or from set pieces. Or Oliver Burke. I don't know what he saw in him.

Pulis was one of the managers who loved a Kevin Davis, Kenwynne Jones or James Beattie type of bull in a china shop player.  One of his real gems was John Parkin, I dread to think how quickly he would dismantle this squad.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 02:08:44 PM by Albionic »
the road to the summit has dips, keep the faith when navigating those dips !!
Albion Family !!!