Author Topic: 6 Mar 2024 Queens Park Rangers 2 Albion 2  (Read 9997 times)

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

Re: After Match Debate
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2024, 10:32:11 PM »
picked the wrong team. The wrong time as well,,the new owner wouldn't  have been too enamored  with the players, or the manager quite frankly  on that showing.

Yep.  Why was he not playing Dike, Maja and and BTA? And cant believe he dropped Townsend and left Barts out of the squad. 

Played the same team that controlled Cov for an hour.  What team would you have started with given the options?

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2024, 10:32:23 PM »
picked the wrong team. The wrong time as well,,the new owner wouldn't  have been too enamored  with the players, or the manager quite frankly  on that showing.
His tweet would suggest otherwise !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Blowee

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2024, 10:33:10 PM »
Not doing himself any favours in Patel's presence. 2/2 for shocking performances
Still think he’s performed well considering the lack of options. Were Bartley, Townsend, Maja, Dike, BTA, Philips, Molumby etc available they would all have featured.

Oldbury24

• Youth Baggie

« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2024, 10:35:01 PM »
Not doing himself any favours in Patel's presence. 2/2 for shocking performances

Fortunately I think this fella actually knows a bit about football.  Tell Wayne to stick to the telly work.

johnny Cash

• WBA Coach

« Reply #379 on: March 06, 2024, 10:35:32 PM »
Probably because he’s Spanish but their manager seems very corberan-esq

Don’t know his background but if I were a qpr fan I’d be excited by him based on his time with them so far.

TheBaggieMan

• Site Donator
  • Reserve Baggie

« Reply #380 on: March 06, 2024, 10:36:39 PM »
Carlos Corberan is a great coach but I wish he would go and see a great English elocution coach.
Can barely understand a word he says when being interviewed!
West Brom 2023/24
Has Sticky the Stick Insect finally got unstuck from that sticky bun?
Great stuff under Corberan - keep it up Baggies!

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #381 on: March 06, 2024, 10:38:31 PM »
Still think he’s performed well considering the lack of options. Were Bartley, Townsend, Maja, Dike, BTA, Philips, Molumby etc available they would all have featured.

I'm not so sure. I think Pieters, Reach and Chalobah seem more important to him at the moment. He had Ajayi and Pipa on bench who are both well ahead of Pieters and Reach but he chose them and it was awful.

He could even have selected just one of those 2 but nope. We all knew he was starting Reach and Pieters before the sheet was out.

Glad to come away with the point regardless

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #382 on: March 06, 2024, 10:39:15 PM »
Fortunately I think this fella actually knows a bit about football.  Tell Wayne to stick to the telly work.

Who is Wayne,. please explain.

I agree CC knows about football. Doesn't mean he can't get it wrong.

KN22

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #383 on: March 06, 2024, 10:47:28 PM »
Delighted to get a point from that. We were dodgy for sure, but how good were QPR? Was very impressed with them. Pieters deserved to be picked after several recent solid displays, but Reach at full back was definitely the wrong choice. We didn’t lose, the gap to seventh spot is 5 points. No real harm done. On to the next one.

saltnshake

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #384 on: March 06, 2024, 11:38:12 PM »
I'm not so sure. I think Pieters, Reach and Chalobah seem more important to him at the moment. He had Ajayi and Pipa on bench who are both well ahead of Pieters and Reach but he chose them and it was awful.

He could even have selected just one of those 2 but nope. We all knew he was starting Reach and Pieters before the sheet was out.

Glad to come away with the point regardless
Both Ajayi and Pipa were on the pitch for more than 30 mins did our performance improve?
Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition as well, not having Asante or Maja  to hit when we are under pressure  is causing us a real issue we have players that have played a lot of games due to our injuries this season we need to get through the next 2 games  let the players rest  for the crucial end of the season.

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #385 on: March 06, 2024, 11:41:12 PM »
Both Ajayi and Pipa were on the pitch for more than 30 mins did our performance improve?
Sometimes you have to give credit to the opposition as well, not having Asante or Maja  to hit when we are under pressure  is causing us a real issue we have players that have played a lot of games due to our injuries this season we need to get through the next 2 games  let the players rest  for the crucial end of the season.

I'm not saying the overall performance improved but the defence wasn't as bad.

Yes I agree that QPR brought it to us but if we hadn't practically given them the confidence to do so from the off then it might not have been such a one sided game.

Albion79

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #386 on: March 06, 2024, 11:44:43 PM »
Terrible performance but a really good point.

QPR are in good form and were really up for it, they were relentless and their fans were really good, constant backing and an atmosphere, not sure if its like that all the time but it goes to show it does make a difference, we dont do that at the Hawthorns very often anymore.

They were very positive and played with a lot of pace and intensity, no coincidence three of our worst performances have been Sunderland away, Southampton at home and tonight, all against teams who are very mobile and move us around, we looked an old tired team at times tonight.

That said you cant play well every game, we got a point when we didnt deserve too, there have been games such as Southampton away when we battered them and lost so wont be turning my nose up at a point when we play as bad as that and QPR played as well as that.

Same with the Kipre save, of course it was a penalty and he should of been sent off, but when we played Blues he got a penalty given against him for nothing when we were in complete control, they scored and the game changes so swings and roundabouts, great when it goes for you, rubbish when it dont but give me that over VAR everytime.

Thought it was strange putting Reach against Smyth who is very quick and direct, the onus was always going to be on QPR as they at home and flying at the moment, Reach would of been fine there if the onus was on us and we were having a lot of the ball going forward.

Mowatt has been brilliant lately but the game bypassed him tonight, Yok was poor too but again when he goes off we fall apart, he just seems to control things, not sure why he brought Chalboah on there, him and Mowatt never work well together, thats why M'Vila was signed, if he was fit enough for bench he should of been able to play 15 mins at the end.

Johnstone was probably pick of the forward players, i feel for Wallace as he a winger playing as a centre forward and taking one for the team and struggling, that said Weimann took his two goals well but even in those games he scored, plus others i havent been impressed by him so we are just making do until BTA is back.

Hindsight is easy though, i think CC is doing a great job and from this position it would be disappointing not to make the playoffs which shows what a good job he is doing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 11:47:05 PM by Albion79 »

graka

• Senior Baggie

« Reply #387 on: March 06, 2024, 11:49:50 PM »
That was the best display against us all season bar maybe Southampton
QPR will feel hard done by but when I saw reach starting next to Pieters I feared the worst but they were not alone in playing poorly
It started from the back Palmer was like a cat caught in the headlights
I still maintain my stance he isn’t good enough, doesn’t command his box and gets beaten too easily by shots but is composed on the ball
Mowatt and yokuslu were constantly hassled in possession and has we have no one to hold the ball up lost possession every time we went long
It’s definitely a point gained hopefully CC now sees the blatantly obvious that Reqch is awful especially at left back
I thought Pipa did ok when he came on

saltnshake

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #388 on: March 06, 2024, 11:57:08 PM »
I'm not saying the overall performance improved but the defence wasn't as bad.

Yes I agree that QPR brought it to us but if we hadn't practically given them the confidence to do so from the off then it might not have been such a one sided game.
You defend from the front  as good as Fellows and Johnston are  going forward they don't  help much when we are under pressure and Wallace  works hard but isn't a striker  picking  either Diangana or Swift away from home doesn't really work as they are luxury players  and it's puts a lot of pressure on Mowatt and Yokuslu  we might be better playing an extra midfielder  to try and get control of the game first.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 11:58:55 PM by saltnshake »

gazberg

• WBA Manager

« Reply #389 on: March 07, 2024, 12:11:59 AM »
You defend from the front  as good as Fellows and Johnston are  going forward they don't  help much when we are under pressure and Wallace  works hard but isn't a striker  wetting  either Diangana or Swift away from home doesn't really work as they are luxury players  and it's puts a lot of pressure on Mowatt and Yokuslu  we might be better playing an extra midfielder  to try and get control of the game first.

The entire performance was crummy and I agree everyone has a part.to play but when push comes to shove you need to be able to rely on your defenders to defend.

I've always been a fan of putting square pegs in square holes and we aren't really doing that currently. We have 3 strikers out but still have Weimann who could have a run out but seems his Indian Summer is over and Marshall who seems to be given little chance.

saltnshake

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #390 on: March 07, 2024, 12:27:28 AM »
The entire performance was crummy and I agree everyone has a part.to play but when push comes to shove you need to be able to rely on your defenders to defend.

I've always been a fan of putting square pegs in square holes and we aren't really doing that currently. We have 3 strikers out but still have Weimann who could have a run out but seems his Indian Summer is over and Marshall who seems to be given little chance.
We've been playing players out of position all season, it's amazing how losing such an average player like Townsend causes so many problems,  Weimann doesn’t hold the ball up either he's a box player I agree Marshall hasn't been given much of a chance  but the bits I have seen of him he is nowhere near ready to start a game.

Aussie Baggie

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #391 on: March 07, 2024, 01:58:48 AM »
Interesting to read that the QPR Manager thinks we had two keepers on the field at one stage. Then said he wasn't there to complain. Well guess what mate, you did complain! Then he goes on to say he needs to do more practice for his players against two keepers.

I know the refs may have missed Kipre's handball but no need to go on with the sour grapes like that.  His team had plenty of chances to win that game considering the possession we had and how poorly we played.

BaggiePhil

• Baby Baggie

« Reply #392 on: March 07, 2024, 02:13:22 AM »
Interesting to read that the QPR Manager thinks we had two keepers on the field at one stage. Then said he wasn't there to complain. Well guess what mate, you did complain! Then he goes on to say he needs to do more practice for his players against two keepers.

I know the refs may have missed Kipre's handball but no need to go on with the sour grapes like that.  His team had plenty of chances to win that game considering the possession we had and how poorly we played.
Also it wasn't a penalty in my opinion. No holding back from Sam Field in his celebrations as an ex Baggie. Not that he should of but no love lost there.

Droitwich Baggie

• Site Donator
  • WBA Manager

« Reply #393 on: March 07, 2024, 07:38:38 AM »
We robbed them.

hardtobeat

• WBA Coach

« Reply #394 on: March 07, 2024, 08:11:04 AM »
Dike, Phillips, Maja , Molumby, Townsend, BTA , Bartley plus a couple of fringe players = a very large injury list and it would be reasonable to expect some inconsistent and tired performances because of it.
Just shows despite his knockers on here and other sites how important Townsend is to us. Don't fancy any of his possible replacements against Sorba Thomas on Sunday !
Baggie for life not just for Xmas

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #395 on: March 07, 2024, 08:47:20 AM »
That was one hell of a point to get. The status quo remains with Hull and we've gained a point on Norwich despite getting absolutely battered by a hugely improved QPR team who are right on the peak of their form at the moment and fresh from a win at league leaders Leicester.

They are a completely different outfit to the one that turned up at the Hawthorns under the hapless Ainsworth earlier in the season.

As good as they were we were off it last night. Two moments of quality from our ever producing wingers papered over what was a really poor performance. The Championship is relentless and incredibly demanding and every team has days like we had last night.

How the hell we managed to escape with a point I still can't get my head round but what matters is, we did!

WBASPE77

• WBA Manager

« Reply #396 on: March 07, 2024, 08:56:26 AM »
A  very big point. Two excellent goals and a fair bit of luck. We were far from our best. But we stuck at it and come away with a point at a team who are on good form. A game less and another point further from the chasing pack.
WBAFC
MIB
Chester FC
Rangers FC

Singhwba

• Junior Baggie

« Reply #397 on: March 07, 2024, 09:09:28 AM »
Pieters and Reach were awful. Pipa cant defend, how many times was he grabbing the wingers shirt too, got away with it once.
Game bypassed our midfield due to QPR's press, they didnt stop.

Wallace isnt a striker, need someone to hold up the ball to take away the pressure. We needed to slow the game down, but when we did QPR were on the players pressing again.

Didnt think their first pen was a pen, if there was VAR, dont think it wouldve been given. Arms raised, yes, but jumping next to his side.

Apart from our 2 cracking goals, we didnt do much.

Still 1 point though, lets get the 3 on Sunday which will be another tough game!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 09:11:27 AM by Singhwba »

Atomic

• WBA Coach

« Reply #398 on: March 07, 2024, 09:20:20 AM »
Pieters and Reach were awful. Pipa cant defend, how many times was he grabbing the wingers shirt too, got away with it once.
Game bypassed our midfield due to QPR's press, they didnt stop.

Wallace isnt a striker, need someone to hold up the ball to take away the pressure. We needed to slow the game down, but when we did QPR were on the players pressing again.

Didnt think their first pen was a pen, if there was VAR, dont think it wouldve been given. Arms raised, yes, but jumping next to his side.

Apart from our 2 cracking goals, we didnt do much.

Still 1 point though, lets get the 3 on Sunday which will be another tough game!

It was a cast iron pen. Had Reach been facing away from the ball then your point is valid but he actually turned his body. When you do that and the ball hits the arm it's going to be given.

NJS

• Reserve Baggie

« Reply #399 on: March 07, 2024, 09:29:45 AM »
Our injury list is really beginning to tell.  We were totally overwhelmed in the 2nd half.  On a small ground, when you're getting pressed you need 3 in midfield and I don't see where the third is coming from given that Chalobah must replace Yokuslu once he's run out of steam.  I wonder whether Pipa could play there.

Pieters hardly ever player any ball except across to Kipre and back to Palmer.  A LCB who can't find his left wing is not worth keeping.  I've been a defender of Reach but LB is not his position, we are short there. 

We're running on air at the moment.

QPR are in a false position due to their previous manager.  A decent manager who can call on the likes of Walker-Peters, Cook, Chair, Willock, Dykes  and Smyth ought to be able to get get them out of trouble.

If only we had a midfielder who played U23 for England and can pass the ball around keeping possession. ::)
Hales Owen born. 
Nothing is more fairly distributed than common sense: no one thinks he needs more of it than he already has. Rene Descartes